• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gametrailers Thread: Good Night and Good Game

ito007

I may have complained before but I got to admit, I really do appreciate it when they talk about marketing in GT Time. Always interesting discussions. And as mentioned before, Brandon has good arguments in these discussions. He used a pretty good example when he made the contrast between battleborn and rise of incarnates marketing.

I do think rise of incarnates had potential though.

I think Blood pegged it early on in the discussion that Rise of Incarnates was an experiment to bring what is a hugely popular genre in Japan, arena battle games, to the west. Honestly, I think one of the biggest roadblocks for that game was it just did not have a distinct visual or thematic identity. So much so that they probably would have been better off just bringing over a Gundam themed game.

I'm sure the reason they didn't was they wanted a property that could be their own outright, but the game's designs came off in that special way you only get when Japanese devs try to appeal to western sensibilities. Call it the "Quantum Theory effect".

As Brandon points out, it's not like they weren't making trailers and trying to show people the game. But if the game had a great look like Guilty Gear Xrd or Gigantic or Bloodbourne, you bet people would have perked up and taken notice.

Anders going in on the guy who said 'computer engineer here'. Also, I guess I would hope that people are optimizing their file I/O for games with the assumption that most people are using an HDD and not an SSD.

UrbanRats

Thank god for Ian on Destiny

I only played the demo (which was pretty fun tbh) but i don't see why you should accept the idea of grinding for stuff, like it's a fact of nature, rather than a deliberate design decision.
I mean if a mechanic isn't fun, you fix the mechanic, you don't offer ways to skip it.
That's weirdly backwards to me.

This is the problem with many online games and MMOs, they need to "trap" you psychologically (or financially) into loops that are a lot of busy work for a relatively little pay off.
Sounds like Destiny does a lot of this, too.

Reminds me of the stupid insurance shit in MGSV... you designed the goddamn FOB to work that way, the idea of an insurance is beyond absurd, when it's a solution to a problem you are enforcing.
It's like the mob asking you for protection from themselves.

eFKac

I only played the demo (which was pretty fun tbh) but i don't see why you should accept the idea of grinding for stuff, like it's a fact of nature, rather than a deliberate design decision.
I mean if a mechanic isn't fun, you fix the mechanic, you don't offer ways to skip it.

This is the problem with many online games and MMOs, they need to "trap" you psychologically (or financially) into loops that are a lot of busy work for a relatively little pay off.

Reminds me of the stupid insurance shit in MGSV... you designed the goddamn FOB to work that way, the idea of an insurance is beyond absurd, when it's a solution to a problem you are enforcing.

Yup, nailed it.

The only thing I agreed with Ian was that Destiny pre end game, game design is shit.

Skipping it by paying money is a baffling solution to it though, lol.

Auctopus

Yeah, Ian's argument there was terrible. He also capped it off awfully...

"I hated playing this level and would have rather paid for it."

What.

Why don't you just not play the game and give Activision $5 a month?

Anybody got a Youtube link for the Bloodborne video they did once they had all finished it? Similar to the Metal Gear one they did recently. Think it was Ian, Brad, Huber and Ben.

Fucked if I can find it.

Unless I imagined it all?

I know it's been in for a while now, but I'm really happy about the new Bosman set. Tiny desk and all. The black and white walls are a nice idea as well. Good job there.

Hasney

Oh my god Mandatory Update

It's like what would happen if Bosman went speed dating, but instead of campers,he slayed 7 pieces of pussehhh

... That's not how speed dating works

And the ending. Oh jesus.

Alucrid

Banned

what are you talking about. leveling up? or the increased raid drop? huber's main issue was with the increased raid drop which was already confirmed to be a three of coins like consumable purchased from the speaker for in game items (no real money). but that also isn't even in the game, and they've continued to tweak the drops and drop rates as time goes on so it's not as if these possible microtransactions are a bandage for a wound a year old. so, if they do add in the leveling transactions, i don't really care because that means more resources to the live team, for more destiny content for everyone, at no added cost to me personally. in no way do i see that as being the same as fob insurance. there you're paying money not to lose things you already have, here you're paying money to get something (whether it be emotes or level ups) while contributing to additional destiny content.

although honestly i'm not sure how well tuned in they are to destiny. unless ian started at level 1 then maybe it could take him a week and a half to get a good gun, otherwise i got a good loadout after a day or two.

Just finished up the epic 11 hour RE4 stream. I passed out last night watching it live with 5 more hours to go! You could see the fatigue hindering Huber near the end but he got through it.

Fun stream

UrbanRats

what are you talking about. leveling up? or the increased raid drop?

I haven't played Destiny extensively, so i'm not talking about it specifically, but i'm referring to Ian's idea of paying to skip a part he finds boring.

I'm saying that, if you are a developer, and so many people find a part of your game so boring that you're going to give them the chance to pay money to skip it, then you're obviously not developing your game right, and that part should probably either go entirely, or be heavily modified, so that people don't even feel the desire to pay to skip it.

This applies to many games implementing microtransactions, not only Destiny, that's where i'm coming from.
---

I really loved the more personal format of the latest Top 10.

It solves one of the usual problems of these top 10s, which is making them feel like a personal selection by a specific group of people, rather than an official declaration by the GT entity.

sora87

Huber was seriously running on empty at the end of that stream, I applaud his effort.

What do we search for the GT PS4 community, anyone know?

Umibozu

If someone (at gt) can upload the re4 stream to youtube I'd appreciate it. Fell asleep around 4 hours into part 2 of the stream and missed the ending. I'm not able to watch the twitch archives on my devices btw.

UrbanRats

If someone (at gt) can upload the re4 stream to youtube I'd appreciate it. Fell asleep around 4 hours into part 2 of the stream and missed the ending. I'm not able to watch the twitch archives on my devices btw.

I really hope they'll upload it, as i really want to watch that one too.

Umibozu

Good work ben on the halo video.
After watching it though I was reminded of last week's halo stream and how I found the ff7 stream where they did chocobo grinding more interesting.
I don't really follow the halo games/community so I'm genuinely asking is gaf actually excited for halo 5? Does the game have any staying power?

UrbanRats

After watching it though I was reminded of last week's halo stream and how I found the ff7 stream where they did chocobo grinding more interesting.
I don't really follow the halo games/community so I'm genuinely asking is gaf actually excited for halo 5? Does the game have any staying power?

I don't have the Xbone, so not really (also, no splitscreen is a deal breaker for me) but Halo 2 and 3 are surely among the best FPS i've played.
It just feels so good to play, the infamous 30 seconds loop, or whatever they call it.

Well if you look at the front page of gaf right now I think you'll see that many people are excited!

Like UrbanRats said though, the lack of splitscreen has turned a lot of people off. As you saw in the video, some people also don't like some of the "space magic" stuff from Halo 4. I still thought it was a good story though.

Also, I played the Halo 5 beta and dang does that game feel great! I would recommend checking it out if you have an Xbox One.

UrbanRats

Just watched the video.
Not that previous Halo games (i only played 2 and 3 and seen some of Reach) were bullshit free, but Halo 4 seems to be taking a shift in tone, at least in some aspect.
Halo's soundtrack is so good though, how could Bungie kick out Marty O'Donnell?

Burt

Yeah, I forgot how ridonkulous the Halo story gets after the first one.

Someone has to explain this digitizing people stuff to me.

Top Bottom