• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gametrailers Thread: Good Night and Good Game

wiibomb

Damn there's a lot of mistakes in that Halo video. I get the disclaimer at the start, but still yikes.

at least they are correcting them, because in the MGS video they had one or two errors but they never say they are incorrect (may be they learned from that). Halo universe seems to have way too much names and concepts to keep up with, I don't blame them for making mistakes

Umibozu

Man the guitar hero stream was something, started out fun but it really took a turn.
I will agree with the chat that they did misrepresent the game (becoming a theme with some of them), the crew's attitude towards the end reached vitriolic levels. Quoting gamespot doesn't benefit anyone.
To ben's credit, he did feel bad and apologised about any misrepresentation though.
The monetary system is the way karaoke machines (which are connected online now) do it where you either pay per play or pay to play for a set period of time. The expectation is that you (and your friends when they come to play or during a party) pay a few dollars for a couple hours of play. This benefits not just activision/record labels but artists more directly. These monetary systems were in place before the mobile microtransactions craze took place.
Although in the crews defense I will say it is activision, and activision could be taking advantage of the monetary systems. I agree that not permanently unlocking songs is bad, but it probably made it easier to license the songs.

edit:
Yeah...yeah. I'm not very happy with the Halo video. It's not what I wanted it to be. So I do sincerely apologize for everyone that found it hard to watch.
Don't worry, it was a good video. As someone who doesn't have any halo knowledge I found it very informative and easy to watch. Says something that it was able to keep my attention.

UrbanRats

Yeah...yeah. I'm not very happy with the Halo video. It's not what I wanted it to be. So I do sincerely apologize for everyone that found it hard to watch.

I liked it and found it useful.

The only thing is, i wish the mistakes were pointed out in a more subtle way (like annotations) instead of that buzzing sound, because it's distracting.
Mixing one name with another is not a big deal, but it breaks the flow of the video to point something minor like that out, in that fashion.

llehuty

Man the guitar hero stream was something, started out fun but it really took a turn.
I will agree with the chat that they did misrepresent the game (becoming a theme with some of them), the crew's attitude towards the end reached vitriolic levels. Quoting gamespot doesn't benefit anyone.
To ben's credit, he did feel bad and apologised about any misrepresentation though.
The monetary system is the way karaoke machines (which are connected online now) do it where you either pay per play or pay to play for a set period of time. The expectation is that you (and your friends when they come to play or during a party) pay a few dollars for a couple hours of play. This benefits not just activision/record labels but artists more directly. These monetary systems were in place before the mobile microtransactions craze took place.
Although in the crews defense I will say it is activision, and activision could be taking advantage of the monetary systems. I agree that not permanently unlocking songs is bad, but it probably made it easier to license the songs.

Don't want to be offtopic, but the problem with this system is that you are paying 60€+ whatever instruments you need on top of that. It's just a rip off for that price.

wiibomb

I'm with these guys on the video:

I'm not a Halo fan, but I felt more informed about the series as a whole and I now have a general idea of what's going on.

Don't worry, it was a good video. As someone who doesn't have any halo knowledge I found it very informative and easy to watch. Says something that it was able to keep my attention.

I didn't know anything about the Halo lore until now and I sincerely thought it was just a CoD case where the story of the games where inexistent or without anything profound, now I know it was wrong and learned more of it in the way, I liked that video for that.

may be for next time write down the error in a kind of annotation at the bottom of the video just to not stop the flow of its momentum, but even then the video is quite good

Don't want to be offtopic, but the problem with this system is that you are paying 60€+ whatever instruments you need on top of that. It's just a rip off for that price.

I just did a quick check on Wikipedia, but it seems that GH3 came with 73 songs on the disc, GH4 (world tour) came with 86 songs on disc, and GH5 has 85 songs on disc. So purely from a base game perspective you're getting access to nearly the same amount of songs with the base game that you did from the previous iteration (and more than in GH3). The GHTV constitutes what would have previously been DLC songs, except you have the ability to play them for free if you're willing to put in the time playing other songs. If you're on at the right time (based on whatever block is running) you might even get to play your songs for free. I get that it's upsetting that the songs on GHTV aren't using the same model as previous games where you pay once and can play it as much as you want. However, the supposed upside is that supposedly this model will allow them to include more songs than in previous versions which means you potentially have the chance to play more songs.

Also, I can't find anything after a quick search online (and I'm not going to look that hard), but yesterday in chat someone said the PS2 bundle for GH2 was also around $100. If that's true it means the cost of the game + peripheral is also essentially the same (in the US).

I don't own the game, I probably won't buy it because I'm kind of done with music games, but the amount of misinformation about it on the stream kind of bothered me. I enjoyed the stream itself though(we need more lore about the sickness. I expect a video 'GT Explains: The Sickness').

Thinking about the Halo video again, I like that you guys are doing stuff like this. The Metal Gear video was pretty decent too. I understand why you guys want to do these 15 minute or less videos to drum up hype for franchise installments, but the more you get wrong, the higher the risk you run of getting a bad rep for it. Being wrong is fine and correcting yourself in post is even better, but people hold game sites like GT in high enough regard to where putting out a video that opens with "We're probably gonna get some stuff wrong" just seems....sloppy. Ben, don't get me wrong, I'm a huge fan of GT and I think you're all wonderful people and I love watching each and every GT video. I just don't want you guys to fall down the rabbit hole of putting out content that isn't 100% correct all the time.

Videos like the Metal Gear and Halo recaps are excellent resources for people who are actually trying to catch up and not just GT fans. I fear that if someone watches this video who hasn't played Halo in 5 years, accepts it all as fact, they might go play Halo 5 and realize that you guys got some things wrong. As a result, you guys will have lost a potential fan.

This is pure speculation, though. I have no idea what was wrong or right in the Halo video since I've never played them. We all know you put in a ton of work into recapping a 14 year series and I'm not discrediting any of that. Keep up the awesome work :)

wiibomb

may be I don't know enough, but what about a kind of script before doing these lore videos? they are quite important for those new to a franchise, so an special care could be taken, more than the average video or average GT Time for example..

We need a gif of Bosman drinking the cup

F4sbblI.gif

Sorry it's so late.

tok9

I liked the halo video too. As someone who has no idea on the story, I just took it as a silly funny while also mostly informative video. Similar to the MGS video.

Don't worry too much about it Ben, worry about all the FF streams you're promising ;)

Umibozu

GT crew
In regards to last night's stream; did anyone try to change the tv's settings (to game mode or turn off after effects) to improve the latency?

The price seems to be comparable to previous entries. The value might not seem to be there with the smaller number of tracks at first glance, but ghtv increases the offering tenfold.
There is a thread discussing the microtransactions, and the people who have spent some time with the game seem to really like the game and see the benefits of the new systems.
Personally ghtv has got me interested in the game whereas I wasn't before. Being able to play a large variety of new songs that constantly change for free is an interesting prospect. Being able to gain points to play songs that were only available through microtransactions is appealing as well.
Guitar hero not only is trying to change the experience through the new guitar but through the ingame experience as well. It is trying to change that dynamic with its userbase, it is appealing to me to play new music which I might have not taken a glance at otherwise.
The new guitar hero seems to be a different beast and is looking to differenciate itself.

I don't share kyle's optimism for the nx, but I agree I'll probably end up buying the system as well. lol

Thing is 2016 will be so fuckin packed Nintendo has to really come out guns blazing if I were to invest in them. ''Another Zelda'' will not be nearly enough. They need something special. Something that Mario Galaxy was for me.

llehuty

I think new Zelda + new Mario + whatever Retro is working right now could be doable during the "launch window". I honestly would only need one of those to be superhyped.

I liked the halo video too. As someone who has no idea on the story, I just took it as a silly funny while also mostly informative video. Similar to the MGS video.

Don't worry too much about it Ben, worry about all the FF streams you're promising ;)

Even if I have to do them by myself, I want to find a way to stream every mainline FF.

Thinking about the Halo video again, I like that you guys are doing stuff like this. The Metal Gear video was pretty decent too. I understand why you guys want to do these 15 minute or less videos to drum up hype for franchise installments, but the more you get wrong, the higher the risk you run of getting a bad rep for it. Being wrong is fine and correcting yourself in post is even better, but people hold game sites like GT in high enough regard to where putting out a video that opens with "We're probably gonna get some stuff wrong" just seems....sloppy. Ben, don't get me wrong, I'm a huge fan of GT and I think you're all wonderful people and I love watching each and every GT video. I just don't want you guys to fall down the rabbit hole of putting out content that isn't 100% correct all the time.

Videos like the Metal Gear and Halo recaps are excellent resources for people who are actually trying to catch up and not just GT fans. I fear that if someone watches this video who hasn't played Halo in 5 years, accepts it all as fact, they might go play Halo 5 and realize that you guys got some things wrong. As a result, you guys will have lost a potential fan.

This is pure speculation, though. I have no idea what was wrong or right in the Halo video since I've never played them. We all know you put in a ton of work into recapping a 14 year series and I'm not discrediting any of that. Keep up the awesome work :)

The whole point of the video was to do as best we could from memory, but I'm not sure that's what people actually want to watch. I do agree that these videos could hurt potential fans of the site. Taking that into consideration, a more serious approach might be better, but that involves a lot more production time, which is hard to come by during review season.

In the end, we tried something and it didn't work the way we hoped, so we'll try something else in the future. I do appreciate the feedback in this thread, though. It's constructive.

The Halo recap in 15mins is fine in principal, just the important bullet points rather than a 2hr retrospective is great. But id say just write down what you think the storyline is and then fact check what you've written before filming so its accurate. Keep the style, but just prep it.
As a Halo fan, it doesn't bother me that you end the video saying 4 is shit. That's your opinion and I will always respect that, but if the actual information is wrong or jumbled, what was the point of the 16 min video?

Huber kinda did a similar thing with his RE run through, he said stuff that just wasnt true and against GTs own (awesome)retrospective.
Latest Bosman is up.
-
I'm not as optimistic about it, and i'm worried the console+handheld gimmick will backfire as much as the WiiU's gamepad.

Still, as long as they sell the only box where i can play Mario 3d World, i'm buying.

I like when he gets confused near the end and starts saying NX is coming this year.
Best part was not boycotting foxconn because then he wouldnt have a new Nintendo console to play.
Selfish 1st world problems Bosman > other forms of Bosman

The whole point of the video was to do as best we could from memory, but I'm not sure that's what people actually want to watch. I do agree that these videos could hurt potential fans of the site. Taking that into consideration, a more serious approach might be better, but that involves a lot more production time, which is hard to come by during review season.

In the end, we tried something and it didn't work the way we hoped, so we'll try something else in the future. I do appreciate the feedback in this thread, though. It's constructive.

Oh for sure man, I totally get the time that goes into these things. I have some YT content as well for Warcraft and Dark Souls. Even a video that is just recording a route to a key takes an hour+ of time for a 3 minute video, and then rendering time. Believe me, I wholeheartedly appreciate the production time factor.

Thanks for popping in and chatting with us!

Hasney

Watched Huber Hype RE part 2. Man, I've never watched a video I agreed with so much, yet had totally different experiences in places. May as well just post what I put on the GT comments.

Huber, my god, I didn't comment on the first video since I would have just said "I AGREE!" since I adore 0-CV. Finished 1, but didn't get to the rest of those until the Dreamcast ports and when I finished them all (plus 0 on Gamecube) I was in love. But while I agree with everything you say, I had different experiences for 4-6.

I had the exact same reaction to 4 initially, oh, Umbrella is gone... That kinda sucks. It took me a while to want to play it after that initial reaction, but once I did, the gameplay sucked me AND THAT WESKER TEASE, I was sold to RE4 being a masterpiece after that. The gameplay dragged me through it in the end despite my initial reservations and it was that experience combined with Ground Zeroes that actually got me through MGSV knowing that the story wasn't going how I wanted it to go, but the gameplay taking me through.

RE5 was the one time mild spoilers kind of helped me get through it. I'd moved city and the friends that I made weren't massive gamers, so I was going through it alone. I jumped online with randoms a couple of times and got a couple of friendly people, but it wasn't grabbing me. I talked to someone who suggested that I should get to a certain boss fight... WESKER AND JILL. It felt like a slog to get to that point, but once I did, man, the payoff was so worth it.

RE6 would never have done it. it's the first I've never finished and I've even played more hours of Final Fantasy 13 of all things and not enjoyed that, but RE6 just ruins me everytime I play it. There's nothing redeeming there. I ended up looking up the final moments on YouTube hoping to see something redeeming, something that would get me saying "Closing this video down now because I have to play to this point and experience it!"... But I couldn't. It ended up being the game that stopped me from pre-ordering most games because I couldn't believe the drop in quality.

So that's long, I don't expect you to read this out on the show, but I do have one question that hopefully you can answer: Of the scrapped RE games, which would you rather have handed to you in a complete state: The fabled Resident Evil 1.5, or the initial RE4 mansion footage?

wiibomb

Watched Huber Hype RE part 2. Man, I've never watched a video I agreed with so much, yet had totally different experiences in places. May as well just post what I put on the GT comments.

you forgot the initial RE5 concept released about a year ago, as much as I like RE5 for its gameplay, that concept would have made the story HUGELY better

sora87

Lol, ben's last words.
I would love it though.

Has any of the gt crew suggested a Dragon Quest stream?
edit: the heroes stream although good doesn't count :p

They were streaming DQ 8 last year, did a few and never returned to it :(

Just watched the Fatal Frame review.. I'm pretty sure they played through most of this game on Twitch

They were streaming DQ 8 last year, did a few and never returned to it :(

Just watched the Fatal Frame review.. I'm pretty sure they played through most of this game on Twitch

I don't mean to clutter up this thread (sorry), but out of curiosity, would people rather see a DQ stream or more FF? Now that I think about it, streaming DQ might be even more enjoyable for me personally. Plus, it would be easy to get Huber, Brad, and maybe even Kyle to join in (or so I believe).

I don't mean to clutter up this thread (sorry), but out of curiosity, would people rather see a DQ stream or more FF? Now that I think about it, streaming DQ might be even more enjoyable for me personally. Plus, it would be easy to get Huber, Brad, and maybe even Kyle to join in (or so I believe).

Honestly I wouldn't have a huge preference either way. DQ would be cool but I do chuckle about the thought of you guys streaming friggin FF2.

Now the question is when will you do another Resident Evil stream? RE3 is the best one you guys have done. Snatch Zero from Huber :).

Umibozu

Who's on gt live tonight?
Since I know that the gt office would be capable of streaming from a ds (eg. tingle's rosie ruppeeland), I would love to see the gameboy color dragon warriors 1-3, and the ds dragon quests 4-6 be streamed.
Either series would be cool though, my only concern would be dragon quest 8 since it has notoriously long loading times on the ps2.

Basically pick what you guys at the gt office enjoy the most as that will come through to the audience.
Unrelated to gt, but I dislike other streamers who stream games because the audience expects them to. You look at their faces and they look bored because they're going through the motions.

Honestly I wouldn't have a huge preference either way. DQ would be cool but I do chuckle about the thought of you guys streaming friggin FF2.

Now the question is when will you do another Resident Evil stream? RE3 is the best one you guys have done. Snatch Zero from Huber :).
ff2 isn't a bad idea, the story was good imo.

sora87

I'd love for you guys to stream a Dragon Quest game as I'm not really too familiar with that series compared to FF, having only played 5, 6, 8 and 9.

DQ7 would be awesome, especially as a Euro who's never had the chance to play it.

Thanks Enix for denying us the original and thanks Squeenix for not bothering with the 3DS remake localisation.

But it's like a million hours long, which is a shame.

Auctopus

I think you should finish off FF7 first but I'd probably prefer DQ.

UrbanRats

you forgot the initial RE5 concept released about a year ago, as much as I like RE5 for its gameplay, that concept would have made the story HUGELY better

What's that?
-

I never played DQ (played 30 minutes of 8 and returned it) so i'd probably go for FF, but i'm not a big jrpg guy, so not the ideal target audience you should be listening to.

wiibomb

What's that?

there was a concept not so long ago where the original story plan for RE5 was released, one Capcom scraped in favor of the Co-Op play and many other conservative plots, I strill feels the story itself is quite loose despite having magnificent gameplay, but that concept they had was quite better.

FAKE EDIT: it was released quite long ago, in 2009: http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=368170

for me whatever DQ; or FF is fine...

but that bolded part, c'mon! we love crew involvement in the thread, in fact I wonder why only bloodworth is around, more comments from the GT crew are always welcome

Top Bottom