• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gametrailers Thread: Good Night and Good Game

for me whatever DQ; or FF is fine...

but that bolded part, c'mon! we love crew involvement in the thread, in fact I wonder why only bloodworth is around, more comments from the GT crew are always welcome

Seriously.

This is a community thread about you guys and your work. We'd love to have more comments and interaction in here.

I don't mean to clutter up this thread (sorry), but out of curiosity, would people rather see a DQ stream or more FF? Now that I think about it, streaming DQ might be even more enjoyable for me personally. Plus, it would be easy to get Huber, Brad, and maybe even Kyle to join in (or so I believe).

Dude it's not clutter at all. Blood has been holding it down for you guys for a long time but more GT folks are always welcome!

I'd be interested in DQ simply because I've never played one, whereas I've played a lot of FFs.

I think you should finish off FF7 first but I'd probably prefer DQ.

Before we start another crazy RPG we will definitely finish FF7. I realize many will find DQ and old FF games pretty boring and I'm okay with that. In fact, I kind of prefer the relatively modest numbers the FF7 stream gets. It allows us to really engage with chat and get to know you guys, which is most of the fun anyway.

Pappasman

Never played Dragon Quest before, but I bought DQ5 because of the DQ11 hype from GT. A DQ playthrough on stream would be cool with me.

Hasney

Before we start another crazy RPG we will definitely finish FF7. I realize many will find DQ and old FF games pretty boring and I'm okay with that. In fact, I kind of prefer the relatively modest numbers the FF7 stream gets. It allows us to really engage with chat and get to know you guys, which is most of the fun anyway.

I just watch them on YouTube (cursed timezones!) And I still have a blast. Especially if I may have gone out for a few beers Friday night and can just lie on the sofa, get some food delivered and watch Final Fantasy.

Dragon Quest would be awesome next. Chrono Trigger/Cross as a third choice maybe though.

UrbanRats

I just watch them on YouTube (cursed timezones!) And I still have a blast.

Same, i try to watch them live if i can stay up at night, but it's a rare occurrence.
Not much we can do about that, but i do appreciate Dumb Game Monday, because it falls at about 10pm here, which is pretty doable (as opposed to 3AM and such).

Umibozu

Blood/Ben if you could pass this along.
Just thought I'd point out the retron5 is software piracy (the operating system code is stolen, and damiani's rule). It also doesn't play the games off the carts but rather rips the data and poorly runs it off of android. Might as well go the route of pc emulation if the staff wants to play off of a retron5. The wii eshop/ps3 classics or real hardware are even better alternatives over retron5.

I just watch them on YouTube (cursed timezones!) And I still have a blast. Especially if I may have gone out for a few beers Friday night and can just lie on the sofa, get some food delivered and watch Final Fantasy.

Same, I watch them on YT on PS4 soni can watch em on the big TV. Better than most shows on TV.

fastmower

Nice to see you on Gaf, Ben! I would love to watch you guys play DQ, as I know nothing about it.

UrbanRats

When i first got the game back in the day, i did RE4 in one sitting, 23 hours.
MGS3, too.

I was younger though, i couldn't do it now.

Myggen

When i first got the game back in the day, i did RE4 in one sitting, 23 hours.
MGS3, too.

I was younger though, i couldn't do it now.

I had some shamefully long WoW session when I was at my most addicted with that game. Nothing like that though, you must've felt like shit after that.

Not a fan of that superseat guy. I think I shook my head at every single thing that came out his mouth.

Hate Nintendo all you want, but to say the Wii will not be looked back on as a success and history won't remember it is some grade A bullshit.
A cultural phenomenon that was part of the zeitgeist of its era and that everyone from 8-80 knew about...but yeah, won't be remembered like...the N64. Christ.

Not a fan of that superseat guy. I think I shook my head at every single thing that came out his mouth.

Hate Nintendo all you want, but to say the Wii will not be looked back on as a success and history won't remember it is some grade A bullshit.
A cultural phenomenon that was part of the zeitgeist of its era and that everyone from 8-80 knew about...but yeah, won't be remembered like...the N64. Christ.

Yes! I thought I was the only one. The comments on the site all seem to like him.

Hasney

Loved that GT Time, helped a lot that it had a better length. Did like Davis, disagreed with him too, but I'm fine with that. Just a decent personality.

UrbanRats

I had some shamefully long WoW session when I was at my most addicted with that game. Nothing like that though, you must've felt like shit after that.

MGS3 yeah, but the RE4? I immediately started a NG+ and got past the village (played a couple of hours in).
Even compared to my friends i did stay up pretty easily as a teen, for some reason.

Now if i go to bed past 1AM i get all cranky in the morning, besides i can barely get my self to play a couple of hours in the first place.

eFKac

I thought that the superseat guy was fine, at least he got a good answer to that stupid question at the beginning (god I hate those -_-)

Kyle sounds like your typical Nintendo fanboy from neogaf with all this wishful thinking about NX lately.

llehuty

Kyle sounds like your typical Nintendo fanboy from neogaf with all this wishful thinking about NX lately.
Nintendo fanboy? I guess you haven't seen the last Bosman ep where he trashes every single Nintendo holiday release, the E3 digital event, or how he hated Super Mario Maker up until he played it.

Hoping that Nintendo gets it right for the NX (same applies to PS5 or next Xbox) indicates that you are into gaming, not that you are fanboy.

I guess we all could take a cynical approach to the NX when we have no idea of what it is exactly, but I would rather have hope that Nintendo nail it this time around.

I loved this weeks GT time. Just the perfect lenght and I liked the guest. Except I still think differently about what NX will be than any of them.

Dunno what Ian was fumbling with the ending tune doe. What do they say in the ''new'' ending anyway. From ''I love the Xbox'' to ''I love the ???''.

Pie and Beans

Look for me on the local news, I'll be the guy arrested for trying to burn down a Nintendo exec's house.
First news topic, more Blair corporation defence force uggggghhhhhhh. Getting pissed off after companys do terrible things is a great way for the "OH WELL TOO LATE NOW" bulldozer to keep on wrecking and thats his argument over and over again. "Just let em do it!" I'd understand more if he was felching for a community manager gig like all the rest, but he doesnt seem to be?

Oh and yeah, Kyles deep rooted Nintendo fanboy persona is always eye-rolly when he's so cynical about everything else. But then like most american kids, Nintendo was his 3rd parent growing up so thats why you always get the irrational "Maybe Dads gonna keep this job this time!!" hope spiel.

I have just started GT Time but I 100% agree with Davis about Power Ranger V. Ninja Turtles. There's so many upsides to being a power ranger. I don't have any opinion on the rest of the episode until I finish it.

Burt

First news topic, more Blair corporation defence force uggggghhhhhhh. Getting pissed off after companys do terrible things is a great way for the "OH WELL TOO LATE NOW" bulldozer to keep on wrecking and thats his argument over and over again. "Just let em do it!" I'd understand more if he was felching for a community manager gig like all the rest, but he doesnt seem to be?

Oh and yeah, Kyles deep rooted Nintendo fanboy persona is always eye-rolly when he's so cynical about everything else. But then like most american kids, Nintendo was his 3rd parent growing up so thats why you always get the irrational "Maybe Dads gonna keep this job this time!!" hope spiel.

what

sora87

The beta was down for maintenance at the time. So we just played my FF7 instead

You guys really have some bad luck with streams sometimes haha.
More FF7 is fine with me though, just got up to the gold chocobo part, praise be to our goddess Lightning!

UrbanRats

I liked that Davis guy.
Of all the Defy people coming in from other shows, he was probably the best one.
I also agreed 100% with him on the Halo vibe of exploring sci fi spaces.

Couldn't disagree more with Blair, as usual, with his attitude on microtransactions.
Sure, innocent until proven guilty and all that, but making a stink has been consistently the only real weapon people have to operate some sort of change, especially nowadays, since in the age of social media, one man's tantrum isn't just a fart in the wind anymore, and big companies have to start taking these things seriously.

Taking the "if you don't like it don't buy it" approach works only in the dimension in which that decision doesn't affect game design, which isn't the case with 90% microtransaction.

And while we're at it, if he doesn't care, why doesn't he just ignore the people complaining about this stuff in the first place?
I think it's a healthy thing, that these companies understand how vitriolic the hate for these practices is, and starting to bitch about them at the first whiff, is one way to do this; "voting with our dollars" is step 2.

Umibozu

Gt time

From the gaf comments I was expecting the guest to be bad but I didn't really have a problem him. He shares the sentiments of a lot of people who have moved on from nintendo; where what they want out of nintendo differs from what nintendo wants, doesn't care to cater to, or isn't capable of catering to.

I liked what matt blair had to say in regards to data mining. Not everything that is data mined makes it into the final product (we can look to several generations of games where there is data that is not in the final product), although it is becoming a better indicator of what to expect to come to a game. I would rather have a 'corporate apologist' who keeps the audiences emotions in check rather than someone who incites people to pull out their pitchforks every other minute.
I would disagree with the panel though. The ''battle'' is already lost, nickel and dime-ing customers/microtransactions are the norm and are here to stay.

The nx rumours are clouding kyle's judgement and his conclusion is way off base. The prospects of the nx are not too bright to be honest.

Kyle is definitely not a nintendo fanboy (I would say bloodworth or matt are bigger nintendo fans than kyle). Kyle skipped several generations of their hardware, regularly shit talks their games(mario maker, triforce heroes, etc.), and calls out their poor decisions (this is a positive and I would say it's uncharacteristic of a fanboy).
He is just more vocal about their properties out of the staff. I would not define him as a fanboy, and I think it is better that he isn't because fanboy culture can become mentally toxic.

Halo, even though I don't follow it, I would say it peaked between 2 and 3. With the release of 3 being the beginning of its decline.

Overall it was a better show, liked the longer format, but I would like a break from the constant microtransactions talks.

edit:
one man's tantrum isn't just a fart in the wind anymore, and big companies have to start taking these things seriously.
I agree that a collective fart in the wind would be more effective, lol

SeanTSC

Yeah, Blair's stance is pretty bullshit to me. "Just don't buy it!" doesn't really mean anything and those things being there at all have an impact on game design and balance. They have to matter enough for *someone* to buy them which means they have a negative effect on the game. Purely cosmetic stuff is whatever (though I greatly miss unlocking costumes), but microtransactions for Consumables that gives you things like Buffs and Drop Rate Boosts directly impact gameplay for *everyone*.

I'm okay with Kyle being a Nintendo fanboy, it's pretty cute. Gotta have at least someone who still loves them.

fastmower

Why do you even watch these if you don't like them so much? Just curious.

Alucrid

Banned
re destiny microtransactions, no one brought up that the implementation of them was to support content throughout the year as opposed to selling two DLC packs. if this means i get content equivalent to what we got the first year for free, then by all means, throw in all the emote and level up consumables you want. i won't buy any, but i'm more than happy to benefit from them. aside from that, luke smith confirmed on gaf that the "nefarious" data mined items were never intended to be for sale with real money currency, just in-game materials.

Hasney

re destiny microtransactions, no one brought up that the implementation of them was to support content throughout the year as opposed to selling two DLC packs. if this means i get content equivalent to what we got the first year for free, then by all means, throw in all the emote and level up consumables you want. i won't buy any, but i'm more than happy to benefit from them. aside from that, luke smith confirmed on gaf that the "nefarious" data mined items were never intended to be for sale with real money currency, just in-game materials.

Regardless of if that happens with the live team or if the other microtransaction things happen, it would have been nice for them to be up front about it before the expansion came out. Feels sneaky as fuck so soon after launch. Plans would have already been made before TTK came out.

Pie and Beans

Look for me on the local news, I'll be the guy arrested for trying to burn down a Nintendo exec's house.
Why do you even watch these if you don't like them so much? Just curious.

I was going to ask the exact same thing...
hey I love GT stuff, its the only games media I enjoy! Blair just rubs me the wrong way every time he plays corporations advocate.

Kyles normally great too but the "INDUSTRY LEADING CHIPS" stuff is a flashback to the old WUST threads in these parts. He should know better really but nostalgia jumps in and fuzzies the brain when normally itd realise a hybrid release model would mean the console would be compromised by the handheld baseline.

Guest was good too. Particularly coz you could tell hes always loved games and isn't just pretending for youtube moneys sake. *coughSMOSHCOUGH*

Pappasman

The reaction to GT time week is kind of bizarre.

Kyle read off the rumors and begun speculating along with everything else. Why does he get singled out as some sort of fanboy because he isn't entirely negative on nintendo? None of them were really negative on nintendo. I don't understand why some people have such a vile reaction when they are brought up. They still consistently make great games. Is it the about power of the hardware? Is it about business? If so why doesn't everyone get on Sony's ass about them being a sinking ship held afloat by their playstation division?

As much as I dislike speculation, thats all anyone really can do when it comes to this topic.

The nx rumours are clouding kyle's judgement and his conclusion is way off base. The prospects of the nx are not too bright to be honest.
I really don't see any evidence one way or the other to determine an unreleased and unannounced console's prospects.

wtf is this?

Top Bottom