• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GameTrailers to close after 13 years

Nibel

Hi everyone, Ben here. I just wanted to confirm that GameTrailers is shutting down officially today. Everyone is being let go. We all found out mere hours ago, so we're still reeling a bit. Sincerely, thank you all for the tremendous support.

This is wild

LQX

Wow. How do you just close a site like that? All that content and great E3 coverage just gone. Fuck. I wonder if these sites are better off in the long run not selling themselves to big corporations.

DOWN

Banned
I wonder why no Patreon or something to see if they could float back up when ads weren't doing the trick. Also shame on y'all who ad blocked them.

Damn. I've been watching GT content for nearly ten years. This is really sad to hear. Hope the crew goes on to do more great things.

styl3s

Aside from GB, GT is the only other outlet that i felt part of and trusted. They had amazing synergy and it feels like a family just split up and it sucks and i just hope everyone over there lands on their feet.

Gonna miss all the great weekly content and especially toybox tuesday.

ElTorro

I wanted to dominate the living room. Then I took an ESRAM in the knee.
Oh, fuck, no. This makes me genuinely sad. :-(

Mcdohl

Their reviews were the best.

Even when I didn't agree with them, they were well done, had solid arguments, and most importantly where rich in content and well structured.

Will miss 'em.

Zomba13

This sucks but was fully expected. They kept getting smaller and smaller and laying off more and more people and moving the GT guys into smaller and smaller and shittier and shittier offices/studios.

I really hope they manage to come together again and do something, like how the ex-Gamespot guys formed Giant Bomb.

t hicks

Banned
so what happens to the final bosman???
fuck... really hope he keeps the show going somehow like through patreon or something

This is fucking horrible. Man this SUCKS. First Rev3 then GT. I really loved GT. Is there no room in gaming for general coverage?

The worst part really is this was obviously coming. GT heavily panders to the most hardcore of hardcore gamer. COD and its ilk might as well not exist. That doesn't sell and Defy has no reason to keep them around. I feel like it should just be under new management because guys like Bosman and Huber are talented.

Damn dude all those jokes about GT not making my new and going under were real?! THIS IS ALL IANS FAULT.

Lot's of people are using add blockers :( not only that but many video game sites are now starting to report about movies (Gamespot) people bitch, but if they don't they to could of probably have been next.

SeanC

Damn, some good people there. Not sure if the employees will just be shuffled into Defy or one of their other brands, but I'd love to see them maybe start something new elsewhere. Especially Bosman who has a great screen presence and certainly a distinct voice.

alr1ght

bish gets all the credit :)
Figured it was coming after everything that went down earlier. They just couldn't compete when youtube gaming channels got super popular. They did some fantastic work.

Man, this is the worst gaming-related news for me...watched every archived stream and almost every piece of content for the last 3 years. It was comforting having the group in a stream as I listened in the background while working...

Inumbris

Ah damn it this really sucks.

I only got into them relatively recently, and while it sounds like I missed their heyday by a fair margin, I've really enjoyed their content and I LOVE their enthusiasm.

Here's hoping that everyone makes it through the transition swiftly and safely. I really hope we'll see Bosman and Huber back in the mix sometime soon.

jett

D-Member
Holy shit. :( I liked GT. Sadly YouTube has made its format/purpose irrelevant for years, and their shows never got much traction viewership-wise.

I hope everyone lands on their feet, but I'm most interested in what's gonna happen to Kyle.

So apparently this may have been coming a long time now?

Still, the actual announcement and closure feels so sudden. Staggering even. Hope everyone is able make the transition okay.

Nanashrew

Banned
This really sucks. I hope everyone lands on their feet, and I also hope that the content that GT produced over the years can be preserved someway. So much content doesn't need to be lost like we lost 1UP.

Gale007

Been watching GT for the past 8 years, they seemed like one of the last real sites that took measured approaches and actually seemed to enjoy working with games. Hope everyone lands on their feet.

Hupsel

Thank you for everything, GT. You guys are amazing. I will never forget my picture with Kyle at E3 2013, he was incredible kind to take silly poses with me for the camera. Everyone there is kind and awesome.

benzy

vader.jpg

dmr87

I don't even...uhhh.

Final Bosman, GT Time, discussions and most of all their E3 coverage.

CzHb.png

DzHb.jpg

Really hope some if not all of them can get together in one way or another.

Phu

Banned
This sucks, but the people there were [are] great and hopefully they won't have too difficult of a time finding a new home.

SeanTSC

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO.

GT is the only "Games Media Website" that I've ever really given a shit about. Fuck, this sucks. I loved all of their shows. Dammit.

LordOfChaos

Wow...So this was unexpected to most, right? Feels out of nowhere.

So will the site and forums stay up for a while? "Today is the last day of GameTrailers", it could be taken a few ways, since they just published some reviews today I imagine the site will stick around for a while, just no new content? Or I wonder if they'll pull the plug today...

Top Bottom