• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GameTrailers to close after 13 years

dickroach

FUCK. Ben had hinted at this happening on a GT Time episode, but... FUCK
that is/was my favorite site for video game related content on the internet. all the personalities on there were fantastic. I'm really bummed

Just read it on Brandon Jones Twitter. I'm pissed because I go to them for every single video review and Brandon Jones & co. Their content was second to none (retrospectives, GT time, pop fiction, etc). They completed my trifecta of gaming news (GAF, Gametrailers, and Reddit). I really hope all of them land on their feet somewhere.

Edit: https://twitter.com/gametrailersvo/status/696857143593422849 - copy/pasted it here.

Sucks big time. They were the only outlet I followed and consumed completely.

Invisible Walls and then gt time, mandatory update and the great great lists and countdowns will be terribly missed.

Will follow them around. Hope they land on their feet and keep covering games.

Sad news but personally I found GT's content weak after invisible walls shut down and I haven't cared about the site since. They focused way too much on consoles and never gave enough PC coverage, even when great things were happening.

ps3ud0

Good luck to all the GT staff and hope for safe landings. I used to use GT pre-YT as my main trailer site (well that and planetquake) and now more recently because of the personalities on there

Last years E3 PS4 stream wont be forgotten - GT was ahead of its time...

ps3ud0 8)

For OP:

BIWzO3r.png

https://twitter.com/GameTrailersVO/status/696857143593422849

UZExGI2.png

https://twitter.com/BenMoore035/status/696857611010871296

gxII8C0.png

https://twitter.com/GameTrailers/status/696858020215586816

iNvid02

brutal, i hope everyone lands on their feet, but the writing was on the wall for ages now, despite their recent efforts being valiant and some great stuff being made, they simply took too long to adapt to youtube

Boke1879

Hopefully these guys land on their feet. They are a great group so I hope so.

Unfortunately I see this being how the landscape will go. Game sites have to evolve to keep viewership. With twitch and youtube showcasing games. People can just watch a stream or lets play to get their gaming fix.

Man GT was a huge part of my life during high school. Man it's sad to see them go. I had just watched a batch of Bossman last night, jeez.

#GTFFVII2015

Afrikan

LOVED IT back in the day... I stopped going there consistently when their review scores (in contrast to the opinions during the video) started to get inconsistent. But it wasn't just them, it was like that for awhile now with many sites these past 9 years.

It was still my go to place to watch trailers last gen.

what I just want to know is if their HUGE archive will still be accessible.

very disappointing if that is not the case... and I'm not talking about GT's channel on Youtube...but all of their stuff.

PS. Never liked Bossman... imo, it was obvious he was trying too hard.

LOVED their Panel segments though... I'm REALLY going to miss those. :/

injurai

Banned
Wow... 2016 claims another victim...

GT has been a constant throughout most of my years. I'm sad to see them go.

Savitar

I read that with a heavy heart. I knew it was going to come eventually, when Jones talked about deciding if he should stay this past year I had a inking all might not be well. The slight changes it all reminded me of 1UP. Still to know it is all gone, done. I loved their reviews, even if I cared nothing for the games I still loved the reviews. The retrospectives and so much more. Kyle and his antics.

I hope someone out there is going to be saving the videos and stuff.

Astorgh

That was unexpected. It was one of the first video game related sites I ever visited. Hope something good comes out of this.

Admittedly I only went there to watch the bonus round... and I remember their video player being god awful... but I never expected it to come this suddenly.

Best of luck to those displaced.

I wonder if YouTube's gaming effort will pick them up.

Until last year I never followed them much, but then they became a place I went to constantly.

Sad to see them go. Hopefully everyone will find work soon.

LiK

i hope plenty of people will archive their videos cuz if all of this disappears i'm gonna fucking mad. trying to save as many videos as i can right now.

Luigiv

Sad but honestly not surprising, GT has been struggling for a while. :(

Hope everyone manages to land on their feet.

What the hell?!

why does this have to happen to the guys at GT?

The last few years has just been full of splits, but every time they always get back up.
I feel terrible right now, only thing to do is wish them the best...

NO! Normally I don't like personality based videogame sites but the people at GT just seemed so friendly and genuine that I loved every bit of their content. Hopefully everyone lands on their feet.

RusselUp

:( Wishing all the GameTrailers team all the best in the next steps! Used to be a fan of all the content back in the day.

Heartfyre

I know it's sudden news, but they should still work to put a Patreon together. They were obviously closed because they had a small but dedicated fanbase, but a small and dedicated fanbase can maintain them through Patreon. I hope they really consider it.

Sami+

Motherfucking corporate assholes laid them all off on a whim while Blood's on his honeymoon... really upset.

Norml

GT used to be a go to source and have a decent forum.But then some moron decided the site needed a makeover and of course killed its community in the process.

Top Bottom