• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GameTrailers to close after 13 years

Can't believe GT is gone. It seems so so sudden, unexpected at least to me. Can't Jones buy it back?

I'll miss GT Time. Byeeeee (in the Ian Hinck Hiii voice)

LgbS8cB.jpg

To all the folks over at GT good luck to all of you. I hope you guys rebound and get on your feet soon enough.

This hit me right in the gut. GT has been so wonderful. Their incredible love for games has rubbed off on me and made me love games more than I've had in a long time. Just the best, most down to earth crew out there. I'll support them wherever they go.

Quonny

Sad news, but just goes to show you the industry is changing.

I personally haven't been to GT in months. With Twitch streams, small-time YouTube reviews, GAF impressions, podcasts, just haven't seen the need.

I hope they all land on their feet. Clearly some talented folks there.

T_T

We've seen the writing on the wall for quite some time, what with the change of ownership, staff reductions, and departures. Even so, this really sucks. GameTrailers has always been one of the best outlets for fair yet passionate game journalism. I hope that all of the remarkable staffers are able to land on their feet quickly.

Thanks for being the hip cats you are.

Cday

Banned
I began posting on gaming forums with Gametrailers. Then moved to GAF and only recently rediscovered the site's content. Better than ever. My favorite is The First Fifteen although it's kind of always been hidden away in some dark corner of the site. Pretty appropriate I suppose.

The RE4 Full Playthrough is some good stuff as well. Part 1, Part 2

woopWOOP

Oh wow, this seems sudden?

Haven't watched their content in years, but like they said they were pretty big around '02-'04. Seeing all those game announcement clips uploaded one by one in the week of E3 was amazing back then. Actually getting a bit nostalgic about that time now, lol

Hope the crew lands on their feet again pretty soon

the_id

Brandon Jones voice is essentially the most recognizable voice in the Gaming Industry.

Now I won't be hearing it anymore.

Sesha

Crazy. I went there in High School in 2003 for E3 news. It cannot be overstated how helpful that site was. Back then, finding game videos compiled for E3 wasn't so easy as it is now. Back then if you went to Gametrailers, you'd have an organized selection of the latest E3 game videos in a time when most news was available via print.

Utter sadness. You were a trailblazer.

Rest in peace.

Yeah, I remember using GT for ages. Before YouTube they were arguably the go-to site for game trailers and footage. I stopped using the site long ago but quickly became interested with FinalBosman, then GT Time and Huber Hype, and the culmination, as Huber would say, with E3 last year.

RIP GT

We will always have E3 2015.

Man I loved some of their content.

Pop Fiction especially.

Oh god yes, someone archive ALL the Pop Fiction.

Pop Fiction is one of the ones I'd like to see come back as a separate thing, although I suppose Defy still owns the rights to the name, even if GameTrailers closes.

its amazing that this
ae7.jpg

could have a sad ending. Not having a gametrailers when shenmue 3 hits is just...hopefully huber gets somewhere where he can be as expressive

Heyt

Banned
The best outlet, gone forever. What am I going to do now? What are they going to do now.? Hope they set uo their own thing and do well.

CHC

Holy shiiiiiiit, they have been around the block and were a really great source. I'm surprised they can't make it work if even just as a YouTube channel. I hope everyone involved gets sokething stable going. It was a great site and a very nostalgic one for me, a huge source in the mid-2000s before YT was the go-to.

jsrv

Their reviews are the only ones I watch and listen to nowadays and their other shows are great too, sad to hear this. I think they're actually the only other gaming site I visit nowadays come to think of it. :(

Someone should somehow archive their videos especially the retrospectives before they're gone forever

D

Deleted member 465307

Unconfirmed Member
No. Nononononono. How am I going to find out what Bosman thinks of the NX once it is finally unveiled? How will I get my weekly dose of bets and silly (but serious) Super Seat questions? And they only found out TODAY? They weren't given notice in advance so they could plan? What kind of a mess is this?

I'm legitimately kind of upset. I know the signs were there, but I thought there would be some kind of announcement a month prior. No final GT Time or anything to say goodbye. Looks like I'll be watching the stream.

:( :( :(

Alucrid

Banned
i remember using my dad's work laptop with one of the mobile internet cards that you slide in to watch E3 on GT while down at the beach...i think that was when FF 13 was announced. gonna miss GT

its amazing that this
ae7.jpg

could have a sad ending. Not having a gametrailers when shenmue 3 hits is just...hopefully huber gets somewhere where he can be as expressive

but now we miss persona 5

Mattenth

This is so tragic. God, the writing was on the wall, but jeez.

Yeah :-\

Website was really struggling with the redesign in December. Maybe they just pulled the plug when they needed more funding? Who knows?

On the flip side, I have no doubt that their on-screen talent will have trouble getting new employment. It's the behind-the-scenes guys that I worry the most about :-\

Terrible news. Been consuming their content for years. They make the best video content out of every game site. I hope everyone can get back on their feet quickly.

Tom Nook

It's one of those things I took for granted. I haven't been in that site often, just once a year for E3 coverage. Back when AVGN, Dead Fantasy, and their Retrospective series, I go that the site everyday looking forward for new videos. With youtube, neogaf, and reddit, I kinda forgotten this site. :(

Hope the writers,editors, web developers, and staff find something else. :(

Shredderi

Oh fucking fuck fuck. There is no group I liked as much as the gametrailers group. No more Bosman, no more Huber, no more their funny antics, no more watching E3 while seeing their reactions... God this blows on so many levels.

This sucks. I haven't been a fan for long (jumped on after seeing the e3 reaction vids), but watching their content had become part of my weekly routine :(

coolasj19

Why are you reading my tag instead of the title of my post?
So just like that, all the positivity in the gaming news just goes *poof*?
That fast? With no warning? They just remodled... for someone else.
Make a YouTube Channell! Patreon! Dammit I wanna help.

Top Bottom