• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gaming-Age reviews Halo 2

Matlock

Banned
halo2.jpg

http://www.gaming-age.com/cgi-bin/reviews/review.pl?sys=xbox&game=halo2

GhaleonEB

Let's discuss this in terms with which we are all comfortable: Halle Berry. If you don't think she's your type and you enjoy telling everyone who will listen that she, "just doesn't do it for you," that's your business. I can't imagine anyone believes you, but go right ahead and try to convince them; Your lack of taste is its own punishment. If, on the other hand, you insist that Halle Berry is ugly or, to use the more common term of the time, "fugly," well, then you're kidding no one. Of course, Halle Berry is not perfect. She is human and has flaws, like her driving record. But she is also empirically beautiful, exciting, radiant, engrossing and wholeheartedly addictive.

These are undeniable laws of nature and they apply equally to Halo 2. If it was called Halo Berry they'd have the same initials and the universe would be that much more orderly. In fact, I believe I will from this point forward refer to the game as Halo Berry, because I don't think she'd change her name to Halle Two.

Score: A

Best. Review. Ever.

mrmyth

teiresias said:
Not to say the game isn't great, but that whole Halle Berry metaphor so doesn't apply to me.

If you were straight you'd want to screw her, just like I'd hit Elijah if I were gay.

bettedaviseyes3.jpg

On second thought, his eyes are way to freakishly huge. I can't have him staring at me during......you know.

Nerevar

they call me "Man Gravy".
Clearly they gave it an over-negative review to drive up controversy. I'd give this review a C-

Willco

Hollywood Square
This review sucks. If I ever saw this Chris Faylor guy in real-life, I'd kick his ass unless he was tall and black.

Why does the review insist that Halle Berry is universally beautiful? She isn't ugly by any means, but I don't find her all that attractive. And I find it kinda hard to believe that I'm completely alone on this, like the review implies.

PhatSaqs

Banned
RE4 vs. SH4 said:
Why does the review insist that Halle Berry is universally beautiful? She isn't ugly by any means, but I don't find her all that attractive. And I find it kinda hard to believe that I'm completely alone on this, like the review implies.

"...that's your business. I can't imagine anyone believes you, but go right ahead and try to convince them; Your lack of taste is its own punishment."

I can say that you have a lack of taste for lusting after the newest Hollywood beauty queen, and I'd have much more of a case.

PhatSaqs

Banned
RE4 vs. SH4 said:
I can say that you have a lack of taste for lusting after the newest Hollywood beauty queen, and I'd have much more of a case.
Oh yes. Since thinking someone is attractive has everything to do with "lusting"....

drohne

hyperbolically metafictive
ernie exposes chris for the conscientious, kasavinesque mediocrity he is! look: answering undeniable brilliance with petty barbs isn't a sign of critical sophistication. it's a doltish imposture thereof. this business of judging game narratives on how much you like the plot details or how neatly they resolve has to stop. likewise this business of asking whether games "live up to the hype," all knitted brow and phony anchorman solemnity. christ.

what's an "a" or an "a+" if halo 2 is an "a-?" nothing, ever. we're here to celebrate games, to clear a space around the best ones and point to them as examples. if you can't do that, you have no business talking about games at all. out of the way, jackson.

Mrbob

drohne said:
ernie exposes chris for the conscientious, kasavinesque mediocrity he is! look: answering undeniable brilliance with petty barbs isn't a sign of critical sophistication. it's a doltish imposture thereof. this business of judging game narratives on how much you like the plot details or how neatly they resolve has to stop. likewise this business of asking whether games "live up to the hype," all knitted brow and phony anchorman solemnity. christ.

what's an "a" or an "a+" if halo 2 is an "a-?" nothing, ever. we're here to celebrate games, to clear a space around the best ones and point to them as examples. if you can't do that, you have no business talking about games at all. out of the way, jackson.

Well, it depends on how GA scores. Do they score relative to other games or relative to Xbox? Halo, while not reviewed by the same person, scored an A on GA. The only possible explanation I could see for the A- is if Chris is holding onto that A score for Half Life 2. Which means GA would be scoring in relation to all platforms. Doesn't matter though after the Ninja Gaiden fiasco the GA mainsite reviews (Amazingly there is one!) are one big hack anyway. At least this reviewer didn't hide behind a pseudo name.

duderon

rollin' in the gutter
seismologist said:
Gaming Age is one of the few sites that can be trusted nowadays because you know they aren't tainted by hype.

Seems like the GA reviewers always try to spoil the fanboys' circle jerks :lol

It works too.

GhaleonEB said:
Let's discuss this in terms with which we are all comfortable: Halle Berry. If you don't think she's your type and you enjoy telling everyone who will listen that she, "just doesn't do it for you," that's your business. I can't imagine anyone believes you, but go right ahead and try to convince them; Your lack of taste is its own punishment. If, on the other hand, you insist that Halle Berry is ugly or, to use the more common term of the time, "fugly," well, then you're kidding no one. Of course, Halle Berry is not perfect. She is human and has flaws, like her driving record. But she is also empirically beautiful, exciting, radiant, engrossing and wholeheartedly addictive.

These are undeniable laws of nature and they apply equally to Halo 2. If it was called Halo Berry they'd have the same initials and the universe would be that much more orderly. In fact, I believe I will from this point forward refer to the game as Halo Berry, because I don't think she'd change her name to Halle Two.

Score: A

I hate to read review with analogy made by a frustrated writer who can't get a job at writing whatever he wanted to do in his dream.

Mrbob

seismologist said:
Gaming Age is one of the few sites that can be trusted nowadays because you know they aren't tainted by hype.

:lol

Yeah, they are more like the anti hype website for reviews. Trying so hard to find flaws in games so they can try and differentiate from others. If they want to be stuck on an island by themselves, they can go for it. After Ninja Gaiden review, I don't know how anyone can take any of their reviews seriously. That review basically crushed any type of review integretity the site had left. Low score is one thing. But to back that low score with factual innacuracy and to have the site stand behind the review is very telling.

Willco

Hollywood Square
Gaming-Age is alright, but this Chris Faylor guy... WHAT A DICK. I hope he never sees me in real-life, because I own knives and guns and Pop-Tarts.

IJoel

This review and the reviewer suck.

"Playing through Campaign on Normal will take most between six and eight hours, about the same time it took to beat the first Halo."

WTF... this is ridiculous. It took me about 12 hours to beat. When you say "most" you must mean people that rushed to the end and went checkpoint to checkpoint blazing through it.

Also not having co-op on Live is a pity, but it's NOT A FLAW of the game.

I don't really disagree with the score, but I think the review is shallow as hell and could've touched on many many points it simply dismissed (e.g. Music, Surround Sound/Effects.) It simply seems like the reviewer had to rush through the game or rush writing a review to come up with something. However, for a game of this scope, where Live functionality is huge, it's a pity game modes aren't discussed and the sheer breadth of them.

Again, way way too shallow review for such a huge game.

Oh, and you can open a channel to talk to your teammates by pressing the white button. You really don't need to talk to your opponent unless you killed him/her and want to brag, in which case you should be close by (unless you're a sniper, but this is not really the rule.)

Willco

Hollywood Square
IJoel said:
This review and the reviewer suck.

Totally! Why GAF gave him such a high-profile game is beyond me. He should be reviewing mediocre, lesser games like Metroid Prime 2.

"Playing through Campaign on Normal will take most between six and eight hours, about the same time it took to beat the first Halo."

WTF... this is ridiculous. It took me about 12 hours to beat. When you say "most" you must mean people that rushed to the end and went checkpoint to checkpoint blazing through it.

Yeah, how naive is it to think that if you're such a nerd that it took you less than 10 hours to beat the game than that's the way it is for everybody. Most of us have lives and stuff.

Also not having co-op on Live is a pity, but it's NOT A FLAW of the game.

I don't really disagree with the score, but I think the review is shallow as hell and could've touched on many many points it simply dismissed (e.g. Music, Surround Sound/Effects.) It simply seems like the reviewer had to rush through the game or rush writing a review to come up with something. However, for a game of this scope, where Live functionality is huge, it's a pity game modes aren't discussed and the sheer breadth of them.

Again, way way too shallow review for such a huge game.

Exactly! All reviews should have a 10 page preface about how great the original was and all the anticipation of the sequel and how they bought the sequel and what the wrapping was like and who they met in line and shit.

This is like middle school newsletter material!

Sysgen

The problem is that the ending feels more like a mission briefing than a conclusion.

Exactly whose problem is this? It is a mission briefing. This is by design and it sets up the next game. It's ludicrous that people, and "professional" reviewers no less, keep harping on this like it's some kind of flaw. The only alternative is to leave it out and just leave the actual ending, but if you've played the game you would see that would be worse. So again, whose problem is it? It's a problem for those that wanted more, but is a game that leaves you not wanting to leave your seat a bad thing?

This issue with the late draw on the cut scenes. Isn't this a limitation of the hardware? It seems to me that Bungie extracted 120% out of the Xbox hardware. If you told me when the Xbox launched that 4 years later this 733 mhz machine could produce in game cinemas like those in Halo 2 using an in game engine I would of thought you were crazy. I was more impressed by the direction, the art, the character models and the animation than to fucking obscess, like "professional" reviewers have over a bit delay in drawing scenes.

Ryu

I don't know why you can't understand a lot of people's anger with the ending. It just lacked any kind of semblance of closure. No, I'm not talking about the end of the entire series or something like that, but at least something that ties up more loose ends from the other games without leaving so many more open at the end of the experience. Like for example, take the first Matrix film. Neo has all of his super duper powers, he's the one, he can fly, and yet the threat still remains, but the film seems complete. If they make another film after that -- cool, but if they didn't, we'd still be satisfied with what we got. Halo 1 ended in a very similar way. The threat remained, but if the series ended there, we'd still be pleased with it. With Halo 2 right now though, it ended, but now we have no choice but to wait to finish the game and that's what's bothering everyone. The Wachowski's did it right when they released Matrix 2 and 3 six months apart. They at least knew their ending to part 2 was garbage and that "to be concluded" crap just doesn't fly with most audiences unless it's on TV and it'll come back next season\next week.

Patrick Klepek

furiously molesting tim burton
Mrbob said:
:lol

Yeah, they are more like the anti hype website for reviews. Trying so hard to find flaws in games so they can try and differentiate from others. If they want to be stuck on an island by themselves, they can go for it. After Ninja Gaiden review, I don't know how anyone can take any of their reviews seriously. That review basically crushed any type of review integretity the site had left. Low score is one thing. But to back that low score with factual innacuracy and to have the site stand behind the review is very telling.

let me strap on my lollerskates

Iceman

Soul4ger said:
I... I really don't find Halle Berry attractive. And I'm straight.

You may be straight.. but you're also broken.

I may not like her but there's no way I can deny that she's very attractive.

BTW, what does this have to do with Halo 2?

Soul4ger

Iceman said:
You may be straight.. but you're also broken.

I may not like her but there's no way I can deny that she's very attractive.

BTW, what does this have to do with Halo 2?

The review is not saying that a person can't say someone else might find her attractive. He's saying, specifically, that you're lying when you say you don't find her attractive. That's bullshit, yo. I can see people thinking she's pretty, but those saggy breasts just ain't fo' me.

SantaC

Willco said:
Totally! Why GAF gave him such a high-profile game is beyond me. He should be reviewing mediocre, lesser games like Metroid Prime 2.

mediocre? Ok Prime 2 might not live up to it's precursor, but there is no way it's a mediocre game. None of the reviews have implied it's mediocre.

Patrick Klepek

furiously molesting tim burton
MrBob, where was the "factual innacuracy" in the ninja gaiden review? a short review with limited support for its points perhaps, but where is the innacuracy? i'm being honest.

Sysgen

Ryu said:
It just lacked any kind of semblance of closure.

My point exactly. You do accomplish something at the end. They could of left it at that. They didn't and gave you a teaser for the next game (so obviously no closure). All your're saying is that you didn't want the teaser, but it had an ending.

Mrbob

To be blunt, the camera system in Ninja Gaiden sucks. The game takes place from a 3rd person point of view, and as soon as Ryu start moving forward it's obvious that the camera sits way too low and too far back.

He is speaking like this is fact. Which in itself is bs to even post a statement like this in a review. There is no way you can play through the whole game and make a statement like this.

Without switching to the 1st person camera view every several seconds it's actually difficult to judge the edge of platforms or see enemies once you travel past a corner.

More BS and innacurate. Only if you haven't completed the first two stages. After that it's easy to navigate around.

There are more about the camera, although you could argue that is "highly opinionated" but whatever he doesn't state it as such. Not when you make statements like, "It's obvious that the camera sits too low and too far back.", this is stated like a fact.

As mentioned earlier, besides attacking from off-screen, enemies will frequently surround Ryu and begin pounding away. Trying to fight out of those situations will frequently end badly, because as soon as one gets a hit in, the others will take some cheap shots.

Another innacurate statement. If you take a hit in the game you'll get beat down if you really, REALLY suck. After taking a hit there are a multiple amount of things you can do:

1) Block

2) Jump off a wall to get away

3) Roll away from the attackers

None of this was mentioned in the review. Just one big complaint that basically states once you are surrounded you are screwed.

I'll give a pass on the Xbox Live! part since nothing much was known about it at the time.
I have some more too but I don't feel like getting into this much more.

COCKLES

being watched
Disgusting.

Bungie and MS give us the best game ever but it's STILL NOT ENOUGH for the brazen Nintendo and Sony loving cohorts at Gaming Age....rolling in their bribery money to ensure Halo 2 didn't get a AAA++++++++++

Shameful!

Top Bottom