• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gawker: Republican With Backing Enters Presidential Race to Challenge Trump

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kaladin

Uh....

Any comic book fans want to take this one?

250px-LexLuthor1.png

evan-mcmullin.jpg

There is a likeness there.

Fox Mulder

Probably, but them failing to get the presidency once again will probably trigger a huge restructuration of the party. But maybe not. I'm a big optimist at heart and I thought that would happen back when McCain was defeated in 2008. My expectations of the republicans were probably way too high.

Nah, they'll just continue being obstructionists and hope to unseat hilary after one roadblocked term with another traditional GOP guy.

GusBus

Bio:
Evan McMullin was born in Provo, Utah on April 2, 1976 to David McMullin, a computer scientist, and Lanie (Bullard) McMullin.

He graduated from Auburn High School in Auburn, Washington, and earned a Bachelor’s degree in International Law and Diplomacy from Brigham Young University (BYU) and a Master’s of Business Administration from The Wharton School at the University of Pennsylvania.

Evan served as a Mormon missionary in Brazil and Volunteer Refugee Resettlement Officer in Amman, Jordan on behalf of the United Nations High Commissioner for Refugees.

On September 11th, 2001 Evan was in training at CIA Headquarters in Langley, Virginia. He completed his training and repeatedly volunteered for overseas service in the Middle East, North Africa and South Asia, spearheading counterterrorism and intelligence operations in some of the most dangerous places on earth.

Having completed his CIA service, in 2011, McMullin transitioned to the Investment Banking Division at Goldman Sachs in the San Francisco Bay Area, where he worked with companies in several industries, including technology, energy, consumer goods, biotech, industrials and real estate on capital raising projects and mergers and acquisitions.

In 2013, McMullin joined the House Committee on Foreign Affairs as a senior advisor and later became the chief policy director of the House Republican Conference.

He declared his candidacy for President of the United States on August 8, 2016, saying “In a year where Americans have lost faith in the candidates of both major parties, it’s time for a generation of new leadership to step up. It’s never too late to do the right thing, and America deserves much better than either Donald Trump or Hillary Clinton can offer us. I humbly offer myself as a leader who can give millions of disaffected Americans a better choice for President.”

Barzul

Yup a loss is better for them than a Trump win. A resounding Trump loss is even better. Republicans well at the higher levels know that America's demographics are changing. A white majority vote cannot win an election in America anymore, just can't. Those days are gone. When Trump is polling at 1% with African American voters and 10% with Hispanics, you know you're fucked for a generation or even more as a party if you let yourself be aligned with his rhetoric.

Moments hunter

Neo Member
I don't understand it...what was the point GOP decided to not back up Trump? They did all that show three weeks ago and now this? They were ok with Trump all the time and now this?

Kaladin

I don't understand it...what was the point GOP decided to not back up Trump? They did all that show three weeks ago and now this? They were ok with Trump all the time and now this?

This is an anti-Trump faction of the GOP. They were shut out at the convention, but that doesn't mean they will stop trying everything they can.

he's not a household name and I only see him drawing a few thousand votes at the most, I don't see the enthousiasm

Clinton wins Utah lol, awesome

Mengy

wishes it were bannable to say mean things about Marvel
Oh shit. This is only good news for Hillary. I wonder if he can actually pose a threat to Trump.

He’ll siphon votes from Trump for sure. There are millions of Republicans who feel like they don’t have any viable choice with Trump, they don’t want him but they can’t vote for Hillary either. This gives them an option, and millions of them will gladly take it.

If this happens Hillary will win, but at least it won’t allow Trump to completely destroy the GOP in the process.

_Ryo_

I can't help but think that this might be at least one of the goals - indirectly helping Hillary (someone they perceive as horribly wrong for the country, but at least sane when compared to Trump) without coming out and saying 'vote for Hillary!' outright. It also gives the anti-Trump conservatives (of which there are many) a way to lodge a protest vote without supporting the more libertarian policies of Gary Johnson. I don't think it will affect Trump's numbers appreciably though.

Yes, I understand they already know it will help Hillary get elected as POTUS and that is their goal, but I also think they expect it to help them down ticket, but I think that is the part which will backfire. All Trump has to do is complain that the establishment are trying to destroy him and say that voting mainstream is just #sad and boom ~30 of the down tickets votes are lost.

So it doesn't only just helps Hillary, it will actively help dems in the house/senate.

I could be wrong but Trumps supporters are all crazy so if he says not to do something, they'll likely listen.

daveo42

Banned
How many Republicans actually know who this guys is? I mean, how many people know who he is? I feel like today is the first day I've ever even heard his name in the political sphere. Seems like a terrible idea for the GOP, but a very good thing overall for the Presidential Election.

A combination of Democrats stealing the optimistic patriotism that Republicans used to revel in plus the post-convention polls and scandals finally sent some people over the edge.

I'm aware of that actually. I was mostly referring to the bald head and the similarities in looks since I have nothing to go on policy wise. Trump on the other hand is Senator Kelly from the X-Men hands down.

I never made that connection before but you're absolutely right. Except that Trump is way more cartoony that Senator Kelly ever was.

This guy?

I'm kind of curious, though - how much of Trump's voter base will actually jump to this guy? Are there that many people who are voting for him just because there's no other conservative choice? All of the sane Republicans I know are either voting for Hillary or not voting at all.

The bolded is the point. The GOP is worried that the people abstaining won't go to the polls at all, which hurts the down ticket. They want those people to vote for anyone at the top, and hope they'll vote straight R down the ticket.

That said, no one is voting for this guy. I'd I remember correctly, he can't even get on a lot of ballots.

Wellington

BAAAALLLINNN'
Not sure why they wouldn't execute this a few weeks back, before the convention or even before all of the primaries concluded.

D

Deleted member 231381

Unconfirmed Member
this is actually bad for the Democrats, not good. Clinton was almost certainly going to beat Trump anyway, but she was going to beat him because a fair number of the white educated Republican demographic were going to be demoralized and not turn up to vote for Trump (but also not vote for Clinton, because at heart they are Republican). Now, she beats Trump more easily, but that Republican demographic that wasn't turning out will turn out to vote for this guy if he does well, which means they're now voting in the local races when they weren't if he hadn't chosen to run, which means Democrats do worse in the Senate and the House. It also marks the beginning of the Republican reconstruction period if he begins to surge as a candidate, which is obviously long-run bad for Democratic prospects too.

The best situation for Clinton was always her vs. Trump, mano a (wo)mano.

TwoDurans

"Never said I wasn't a hypocrite."
Smart move on their part. Every time Trump opens his mouth he's speaking officially for the GOP. Even if this dilutes the votes and guarantees a Blue White House in Nov, at least it shows the country that Republicans are not like Trump.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
this is actually bad for the Democrats, not good. Clinton was almost certainly going to beat Trump anyway, but she was going to beat him because a fair number of the white educated Republican demographic were going to be demoralized and not turn up to vote for Trump (but also not vote for Clinton, because at heart they are Republican). Now, she beats Trump more easily, but that Republican demographic that wasn't turning out will turn out to vote for this guy if he does well, which means they're now voting in the local races when they weren't if he hadn't chosen to run, which means Democrats do worse in the Senate and the House. It also marks the beginning of the Republican reconstruction period if he begins to surge as a candidate, which is obviously long-run bad for Democratic prospects too.

There isn't nearly enough time for him to get on all the ballots, he's already missed a number of deadlines. If he's a factor at all, which he likely won't be, it'll be in Utah where he'll split the conservative vote and hand Hillary the state.

Not sure why they wouldn't execute this a few weeks back, before the convention or even before all of the primaries concluded.

I don't think they expected Trump to tank like he did already, and maybe there was some degree of hope he would pivot after the primaries and get more in line to try and win the election. Last week showed that he isn't, and most likely won't.

Odrion

Banned
I don't like this because this might help the Republican down ticket races and I reeeeeeaally am more looking forward to those results than Hillary.

Barring big time endorsement, I feel like Gary Johnson is a better known name.

Unless he can steal enough hundreds of votes in a really tightly contested state, which could still happen, so I'm still ok with this

I just read that Jeb Bush's son, George P. Bush, is backing Trump???

Talk about shitting on your own mom and dad...

sheesh...

Why doesn't he just support this guy instead?

The GoP is completely screwed up.

I think that's the point, yes, but I think beating Trump really needs to be priority number 1. I don't want to go through another four years or stalemate, but we can't elect someone like him to, arguably, the most powerful position in the world. Everything possible needs to be done to prevent that, even if it's looking unlikely even as of now. It's has to be number 1.

Not sure what they hope to achieve. #Never Trump had months and then n the end maybe a hundred people actually gave a shit.

I guarantee the vast majority of people voting Republican will vote for Trump, no matter how convenient it is for them to appear squeamish right now.

mcfrank

Why is this thread so long. The deadline to be on the ballot is passed in AR-DE-FL-GA-KS-IL-IN-MA-ME-MD-MI-MO-NE-NV-NJ-NM-NC-OK-PA-SC-SD-TX-WA-WV- and WI And 32,452 signatures due *this* Wednesday to meet the ballot deadline in AK, CO, CT, HI, NH, OH, DC. So this means months in court? (stolen from Taniel on twitter).

This is a non-story that will be over by Wednesday of this week when he can't get on the ballot.

Iksenpets

Banned
I just read that Jeb Bush's son, George P. Bush, is backing Trump???

Talk about shitting on your own mom and dad...

sheesh...

Why doesn't he just support this guy instead?

The GoP is completely screwed up.

He took a job as the Texas GOP Republican Victory Chairman or something like that, so he's obliged to support the entire Republican ticket. He may also be calculating that his quickest path to higher office is to primary Ted Cruz on a platform of "you broke your promise and failed to support the Republican ticket", but honestly I'm not sure how well that plays in 2018 when the narrative will have been written that Trump was doomed from the start after he gets thrashed. Maybe they'll try to spin some back-stab myth about how surely Trump would have won if not for those shifty traitors like Cruz.

Why is this thread so long. The deadline to be on the ballot is passed in AR-DE-FL-GA-KS-IL-IN-MA-ME-MD-MI-MO-NE-NV-NJ-NM-NC-OK-PA-SC-SD-TX-WA-WV- and WI And 32,452 signatures due *this* Wednesday to meet the ballot deadline in AK, CO, CT, HI, NH, OH, DC. So this means months in court? (stolen from Taniel on twitter).

This is a non-story that will be over by Wednesday of this week when he can't get on the ballot.

Play is for heavily Mormon states, of which only NV is on that list. Utah is where this maybe damages.

Hycran

Banned
Not sure what they hope to achieve. #Never Trump had months and then n the end maybe a hundred people actually gave a shit.

I guarantee the vast majority of people voting Republican will vote for Trump, no matter how convenient it is for them to appear squeamish right now.

A lot of people are doing it on name recognition alone as well. Something tells me they aren't going to be rushing out to vote for a guy who looks like an adult baby with no political experience. They would rather go for the childish adult with no political experience.

D

Deleted member 231381

Unconfirmed Member
There isn't nearly enough time for him to get on all the ballots, he's already missed a number of deadlines. If he's a factor at all, which he likely won't be, it'll be in Utah where he'll split the conservative vote and hand Hillary the state.

None of that contradicts what I said. So what if Clinton wins Utah? All you need is 270, adding extras makes no difference. 2016 is about the House, and this could materially influence key House races in a negative way for the Democrats.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom