• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GB/GBC/GBA Collecting Thread

Wow, that Famitsu edition GBL is a beauty.

Wait, you've never played pokemon? Play Pokemon.

I'd kinda like to but that's a lengthy train which left the station waaaay too many years ago. Pokemon as a series at this point is reserved for any kids I might have someday.

Start with 5 on the ds or 3 on the gbc

Check out Dragon Warrior III on the GBC, it is supposed to be excellent.

Thanks guys, looks like it will be DS 5 or III on GBC then.

prateeko

The 2nd came from eBay and doesn't mention a glass lens, so that's it.

Makes sense. I imagine the difference is small, right?

And do you mind posting pics of both your GBA 101s? I briefly had a RCG GBA back in the day but it had a weird interlacing effect so I returned it.

I'd kinda like to but that's a lengthy train which left the station waaaay too many years ago. Pokemon as a series at this point is reserved for any kids I might have someday.

Thanks guys, looks like it will be DS 5 or III on GBC then.

I cannot emphasize how much I disagree with you in regards to Pokémon being reserved for your kids. Check out Fire Red or Leaf Green. They're amazingly polished and in length probably comparable to the other RPGs mentioned above.

I cannot emphasize how much I disagree with you in regards to Pokémon being reserved for your kids. Check out Fire Red or Leaf Green. They're amazingly polished and in length probably comparable to the other RPGs mentioned above.

I probably should have phrased that better, I wasn't trying to say it's "for kids" or "kiddy." I realize they're very meaty RPGs but there's so many of them I don't have time, so that's why I'll probably save them as something fun to play with my kids someday. Even with DQ I'll be "dabbling" in the series at best at this point, too many other games I have to deal with. But hey, maybe I'll forego DQ and check out Fire Red or Leaf Green instead, thanks for the heads up.

Rich!

I probably should have phrased that better, I wasn't trying to say it's "for kids" or "kiddy." I realize they're very meaty RPGs but there's so many of them I don't have time, so that's why I'll probably save them as something fun to play with my kids someday. Even with DQ I'll be "dabbling" in the series at best at this point, too many other games I have to deal with. But hey, maybe I'll forego DQ and check out Fire Red or Leaf Green instead, thanks for the heads up.

They're hardly meaty, Red and Green/Blue are no longer than any other handheld RPG's main quest. Of course, it's up to you how much you put into it.

prateeko

Gotcha. I wasn't trying to be argumentative but I think FR and LG and easy to pick up and play because every time you start up they give a nice little recap of what you've been doing recently so even if you play for 10 hours one week and then go back 2 months later you'll have an idea of where you want to go next.

My best friend and I are actually in the process of going through all the games again, so we're doing FR and LG right now. After this we move to the Gold/Silver remakes on DS (you'll need a DS Lite to transfer your FR/LG pokemon there) and over time we'll go to the next gen thereafter with the well timed Ruby and Sapphire remakes. Over the course of a few years our goal is to get caught up and have our pokemon from the beginning in the Pokémon bank.

It's a unique thing you'd be able to do with FR (carry the pokemon all the way through X/Y), and while it'll be a longer term game plan, it's why I'd recommend the game. You can have fun with it here and there and leave it be when you're done, or if you want you can take it across many generations.

FSLink

Banned
By "meaty" I meant I realize they're good/they have depth.
The thing I love about Pokemon is that they can either be simple 15-20 hour RPGs where it's basically rock paper scissors with cute designs, and can have tons tons more depth and become a 200+ hour RPG if you're willing to look into it. I say go and enjoy them, they're a fun ride regardless if you just want to stick with the basics of the games.
They are also some of the most pickup and play RPGs, even with little available spare time I can find myself easily playing for an hour and return to it weeks later and still enjoy myself.

prateeko

The thing I love about Pokemon is that they can either be simple 15-20 hour RPGs where it's basically rock paper scissors with cute designs, and can have tons tons more depth and become a 200+ hour RPG if you're willing to look into it. I say go and enjoy them, they're a fun ride regardless if you just want to stick with the basics of the games.
They are also some of the most pickup and play RPGs, even with little available spare time I can find myself easily playing for an hour and return to it weeks later and still enjoy myself.

THIS.

I've always been amazed by how accessible pokémon games are. You can enjoy them at a superficial level (for as little as 15-20 hours) or you can go all out and enjoy them at incredible depths and spend hundreds of hours in each game.

bounchfx

Okay, took an image. PM me if you're interested in the lot of them. These are only Cases (minus Gunstar and DW3) (and manuals for a lot. Can check specifics if needed) Pokemon Red has a slight tear on the back top right corner, outside of that it's excellent. Gunstar Heroes is new/unopened and I also have an unopened copy of Dragon Warrior 3 I forgot to include in the image.

Photo%20Aug%2009%2C%202%2046%2051%20PM.jpg

Okay, took an image. PM me if you're interested in the lot of them. These are only Cases (minus Gunstar and DW3) (and manuals for a lot. Can check specifics if needed) Pokemon Red has a slight tear on the back top right corner, outside of that it's excellent. Gunstar Heroes is new/unopened and I also have an unopened copy of Dragon Warrior 3 I forgot to include in the image.

sent you a pm

pm sent!

psylah

my cousin is in the market for GBC and found out about RCG. told him they werent worth the hassle and he stumbled on this site:

http://www.thursdaycustoms.com

anyone have any experience with them?

If he's interested in getting a backlit GBC, consider going bootleg with the KongFeng GB Boy Colour. I've heard good things about it, the only drawback is that the aspect ratio of the screen is just slightly off. Also, they are less than 30 bucks.

Rich!

If he's interested in getting a backlit GBC, consider going bootleg with the KongFeng GB Boy Colour. I've heard good things about it, the only drawback is that the aspect ratio of the screen is just slightly off. Also, they are less than 30 bucks.

Newest batch is fucked though. I got two, first one I had to solder up and fix as the power switch was faulty, the second I didn't tamper with at all but I noticed that it was heating the batteries to a dangerous level whilst turned off. If I hadn't noticed, I would have ended up with it exploding. Got my money back via aliexpress for that one.

A separate thread about Final Fantasy games got me interested in trying out the audio patch for FFVI Advance, and in doing so I have spent the last hour or so exploring some of the things I can do with my EZ Flash IV that I hadn't bothered looking into before.

The NES and GB emulation is super cool. Loving that I can play pretty much any NES game I try on my GameBoy now, and the GB emulator lets me play GB ROMs on the flash cart with a whole pile of neat extras like palette swapping and Super GameBOy borders.

Can't wait for the lee_chan modding kit to arrive so I can play all this on a nicely lit screen!

Dash Kappei

Not actually that important
Got a few new games the last couple of days, maybe I should post a few pics of my (tiny) updated collection. Haven't yet done the custom covers for the few carts I have without their original boxes.

Still got FF Tactics, Steel Empire, Mario Advance, Wario Ware, Starfi series, Gradius Galaxies and a few others to get.

Also have Klonoa 2 and Sonic Advance 1/2 in the mail.

Dash Kappei

New pickups:
Legacy of Goku 2
mr Driller 2 JPN CiB
bust a move
Mario & Luigi SS CiB (outer box is in poor conditions tho)

found my pics on my mac, missing a couple of games, I like the variety more than anything (and CiB whenever possible and not so fucking expensive that I wanna cry, thank god most of my collection I've bought back then on release)

Anyway, what do you guys think?
I'm pretty fuckin' jelly of all your super cool limited edition hardware and /modded systems and such, just so you know :p
I'll keep rocking my Micro, I just love the screen and portability but I'd go for a modded OG GBA if I had the dough, I instead (maybe foolishly?) chosen to spend that money on games.... Hopefully they'll still be around in the coming months

Better quality camera and lossless pics:

Imgur shitty pics

urrNykR.jpg

4dMIQOX.jpg

6RpC1C4.jpg

JiMnVsL.jpg

Castcoder

Banned
Trying to get MegaMan Battle Network 2, as I recently came across 3-6 for a REALLY good deal and had Battle Network 1 already. If anyone is willing to sell a copy of 2 to me, please PM me. I have a post over at B/S/T and have had only positive feedback for B/S/T ever since I started using it last summer.

Newest batch is fucked though. I got two, first one I had to solder up and fix as the power switch was faulty, the second I didn't tamper with at all but I noticed that it was heating the batteries to a dangerous level whilst turned off. If I hadn't noticed, I would have ended up with it exploding. Got my money back via aliexpress for that one.

They also push only one channel of sound through the speaker. So if a game has stereo sound, you only get the left or right (not sure exactly which it is. Didn't seem worth checking).

Peagles

Mine never had any issues but now that you say that and I'm away from home I'm feeling paranoid!

Anyway, what do you guys think?
Off to a great start, I would go for Astro Boy, Boktai 1 & 2, Dotstream, Golden Sun 1 & 2, Game & Watch Gallery 4, Klonoa 1 & 2, Orbital, Wario Land 4, Warioware, also would recommend on Gameboy Color: Daiku no Gensan - Kachikachi no Tonkachi ga Kachi, Metal Gear, Samurai Kid, Shantae, Wario Land 2 & 3

Peagles

Are there any reliable shops to get an EZ Flash IV that ships to the US? What's a normal price on those?

Real hot stuff: http://www.realhotstuff.com/EZ-Flash-iV_p_76.html

Normal price is around $40. I believe the .com version of RHS ships from the US as well so it's faster for US folk. I'm in New Zealand and ordered from the HK site though and it was still pretty quick.

One thing you might want to be aware of though (and it has been mentioned in this thread once or twice) is that the newly produced version has trouble with NOR. I'm not sure if this has been (or can be) resolved. Mine functions fine (well it was for my brother) and was supposedly part of that new batch though.

Dash Kappei

Off to a great start, I would go for Astro Boy, Boktai 1 & 2, Dotstream, Golden Sun 1 & 2, Game & Watch Gallery 4, Klonoa 1 & 2, Orbital, Wario Land 4, Warioware,

Already have Wario 4 and Klonoa 2 CiB, look again :)

Warioware CiB is in the mail, stupidly sold my copy of Astroboy (played it to death, what a fantastic treasure) but yeah def on my 'to re-buy' list so thanks for the reminder, hope it hasn't gone up in price too much tho. Dotstream again I've sold it and now I don't find that it fetches reasonable prices anymore for CiB, it's a neat little game but I think the Wiiware version is superior.
I've never liked the Golden Sun series (don't shoot, lol).
Never played Orbital, will do!
Didn't care for Boktai and the sunlight gimmick back then, is the sequel different/better?
I also found the NDS 'spin-off' rather dull.
G&WG4 I didn't even know it existed on GBA, cool :)

Oh yeah, I also actually forgot if I still own SF Alpha 3, if I don't anymore then I need to rebuy that as well. Also one of the Magical Quests games. Mario Tennis and Mario Golf I gifted them to a friend, I find the 3DS version of Golf much, much superior and Mario Tennis kinda pisses me off with all its problems even if I've beaten it countless times back then.

Gameboy Color: Daiku no Gensan - Kachikachi no Tonkachi ga Kachi, Metal Gear, Samurai Kid, Shantae, Wario Land 2 & 3

Not interested in GBC honestly, I have all 3 Zelda games, MGS Ghost Babel loose and that's it

Thanks for the recommendations!
I'm interested in import-friendly JPN exclusive GBA games, but I can' think of many besides the ones I own and the Starfi series, any suggestions?

putermcgee

Real hot stuff: http://www.realhotstuff.com/EZ-Flash-iV_p_76.html

Normal price is around $40. I believe the .com version of RHS ships from the US as well so it's faster for US folk. I'm in New Zealand and ordered from the HK site though and it was still pretty quick.

One thing you might want to be aware of though (and it has been mentioned in this thread once or twice) is that the newly produced version has trouble with NOR. I'm not sure if this has been (or can be) resolved. Mine functions fine (well it was for my brother) and was supposedly part of that new batch though.
Excellent, thanks. If it has problems with NOR saves, I'll have to live with it. Options seem quite limited as it is. Plus, that price is better than a lot of other sites I stumbled upon, and the fact that they ship from in the US means it should arrive by the time I get there myself.

Peagles

Excellent, thanks. If it has problems with NOR saves, I'll have to live with it. Options seem quite limited as it is. Plus, that price is better than a lot of other sites I stumbled upon, and the fact that they ship from in the US means it should arrive by the time I get there myself.

I did a bit of reading on GBA Temp, and it seems you just need to downgrade to an earlier firmware version if you have trouble with the NOR. It seems to have been largely resolved.

Be warned the build quality of the cart shells is pretty bad (I'd advise to try and just set it up once and leave it in) and you'll have a lot more luck getting it set up if you order a miniSD card. Most often, using a microSD with an adapter just brings frustration and heartache, lol.

When you get it, let me know if you need any help or run into any issues, I've set up a few recently and have it fresh in my mind.

putermcgee

I did a bit of reading on GBA Temp, and it seems you just need to downgrade to an earlier firmware version if you have trouble with the NOR. It seems to have been largely resolved.

Be warned the build quality of the cart shells is pretty bad (I'd advise to try and just set it up once and leave it in) and you'll have a lot more luck getting it set up if you order a miniSD card. Most often, using a microSD with an adapter just brings frustration and heartache, lol.

When you get it, let me know if you need any help or run into any issues, I've set up a few recently and have it fresh in my mind.
Thanks, I may need a bit of help. I had a much older flash cart... EZ Flash or EZ Flash II that needed to use the linker software to sync anything, so I do know what I'm doing in general. However, I went ahead and added the microSD-miniSD adapter to my order because I already have a microSD card. I'll give that a shot first, and order a cheap miniSD if I have any trouble.

Karakato_001

Neo Member
Not sure if this is the proper place to ask but I was thinking of putting screen protectors on my handhelds (Gameboy included) to prevent any further scratching. Would it be a good idea to purchase cellphone/ 3ds screen protectors and just trim them to fit the Gameboy's screen?

Not sure if this is the proper place to ask but I was thinking of putting screen protectors on my handhelds (Gameboy included) to prevent any further scratching. Would it be a good idea to purchase cellphone/ 3ds screen protectors and just trim them to fit the Gameboy's screen?

For GB/GBC/GBA (anything but SP really) it's probably a better option to buy a new screen plate thing than cover it in plastic.

If you did want to use a protector though, I'm guessing that custom cutting ones for other devices is probably as good as you can get.

Advice would be to try to get screen protectors originally designed for plastic screens, as I suspect that the material and adhesive might be different for glass and plastic screen protectors.

OnPoint

I don't know if you guys were aware of Game Boy Jam 3 going on last week, but it just ended and a ton of folks submitted Game Boy-inspired games that were made over the course of 10 days.

http://jams.gamejolt.io/gbjam3

Anyway, we made a game and submitted it, and since the thread is all about Game Boy, I figure this thread (& I also left notice in the indie thread) is the perfect place to get some eyes on it.

It's called Meowgical Tower. It's a top-down Zelda-style game made with Game Boy limitations, playable in any browser that supports Unity Web Player for free. I hope you enjoy it.

Here's a link: http://gamejolt.com/games/adventure/meowgical-tower/31988/

5VSNgNR.png
edkj2jK.png
wEkY46L.png

I don't know if you guys were aware of Game Boy Jam 3 going on last week, but it just ended and a ton of folks submitted Game Boy-inspired games that were made over the course of 10 days.

http://jams.gamejolt.io/gbjam3

Anyway, we made a game and submitted it, and since the thread is all about Game Boy, I figure this thread (& I also left notice in the indie thread) is the perfect place to get some eyes on it.

It's called Meowgical Tower. It's a top-down Zelda-style game made with Game Boy limitations, playable in any browser that supports Unity Web Player for free. I hope you enjoy it.

Here's a link: http://gamejolt.com/games/adventure/meowgical-tower/31988/

5VSNgNR.png
edkj2jK.png
wEkY46L.png

i have no clue what i am doing (except dying). how do you kill the mice? all i do is meow.

has anyone seen these (ebay auction)? i was looking for some ds cases with gba slots to put my games in and came across these.

daydream

Banned
Thanks for all the Konami Krazy Racers recommendations, guys! I just ordered a copy.

Also ordered Rebelstar Tactical Command since that looked kinda interesting. Saw it for the first time in that recent Isometry Appreciation thread.

Ultima_5

i have no clue what i am doing (except dying). how do you kill the mice? all i do is meow.

has anyone seen these (ebay auction)? i was looking for some ds cases with gba slots to put my games in and came across these.

I was at a site (i think linked to me by someone on gaf) which has those cases sans the cover: http://www.customgamecases.com/#!blank-gb-cases/ckqy

it might be cheaper to buy them in bulk and print them from the cover project? I'm guessing they're ds case dimensions, but i'm not sure...

LAM09

Someone is selling a backlit GBA for £275!

He has already sold 29, so I presume he has upped he price as he only has 3 left.

I'm thinking about picking up a EZ Flash IV. Is there a reliable spot to pick up a 4GB Mini SD? I seem to remember reading if you found one that actually wasn't SDHC that it would work.

Peagles

I've read confirmations of people using 4GB cards. There was a limited amount of 4GB SD cards before the SDHC standard came into place. The key is finding one of those cards that is not SDHC, which is near impossible it seems.

I used to have a 4GB microSD that worked in my SD only devices, it didn't have SDHC written on it. However it's also the only memory card I've ever owned that became corrupt and no longer useable.

2GB is huge for GBA though, seriously.

I used to have a 4GB microSD that worked in my SD only devices, it didn't have SDHC written on it. However it's also the only memory card I've ever owned that became corrupt and no longer useable.

2GB is huge for GBA though, seriously.
Yeah, I looked into it after my post and I guess a complete romset runs about 5GB? I'm willing to bet anything the majority of that is trash

I've always wanted to get an EZ Flash IV but never did. Is it relatively simple to use, as in drag + drop like the majority of the later NDS carts were?

nusilver

Hey guys, here's the writeup of the Rose Colored Gaming SNES/SFC themed GBAs I promised last week (it's a little late!), over at NintendoWorldReport. Tons of images, too, so check out the gallery. Hope you like it!

http://www.nintendoworldreport.com/...-gba-look-no-further-than-rose-colored-gaming

Also, I want to address the complaining I've seen on this thread about RCG, which, in the grand tradition of the Great Almighty Internet, frequently outweighs the praise. There's been a lot of talk on this thread about poor customer service and subpar products at RCG, but from what I can tell, that's just the telephone effect -- one person says they had a poor experience, then everyone says "RCG's customer service is shit." I'm only one person, but my experience has been the exact opposite of shit; other than a mixup where I got the wrong product, which was QUICKLY amended, Wiggy has been attentive to my needs and a very cool, very down to earth guy to chat with, too. You have to understand that when a 2-person operation suddenly explodes in popularity, things are going to be difficult to keep under control. Production, design, acquisition, shipping, customer service, HR, strategy and management -- these are all things that small businesses like Wiggy's deal with on a day to day basis. If they don't respond to your emails immediately, that's because they can't. Rest assured, if you want to buy a product from them, they want to sell it to you -- they're not ignoring your emails because they're jerks or anything like that.

Anyway - I'm not expecting my single voice to change the minds of a bunch of people who are convinced RCG is crap, but if one person here is swayed, I've done my job. Obviously things have changed a bit since I wrote this article with supplies of screens drying up, but that doesn't change the fact that RCG makes great products, and they have some awesome stuff besides GBAs in the pipeline as well. Give them a shot, and have a little patience. Most likely, you'll be happy in the end, and you won't even know what all the complaining was about.

Finally, here's a GAF (and Digital Press) exclusive image of the Japanese/European one with a SFC lens - I was able to get a separate lens to get images of every different type in this line, but didn't have it until after the article had already been edited.

Top Bottom