• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GB/GBC/GBA Collecting Thread

Rich!

No offense, but it'd be nice if you cooled it with the attitude. "The Great Almighty Internet" and "the telephone effect"? So what is this? "The Great Almighty Blogger with the Ivory Tower effect"? From your first post in here when you expressed irritation that someone had posted pics of your first unit before you could, you've come off as kind of condescending, no offense. That's great that your Super Famicom mod turned out well, it looks beautiful and the impressions are very welcome (if they make more I'd be tempted to get one) but the fact you had to get another just lends credence to the fact that RCG sometimes has quality control issues and your rather impolite attempt to broadly marginalize the experiences others here have had with them is neither welcome nor helpful. Painting folks in here as just typical internet fanboys making noise comes off as very Ben Kuchera-esque.

Yeah, if anything it's persuaded me even more to stay away from RCG.

I've found a indie games shop in Croydon. Going now to see if i can find some gems.

regarding rcg, still looking at theor site to see when they restock on an almost daily basis.

Peagles

Please let me/us know! I'm interested in stocking up on a few.

Will do. Where I ordered the price was less than a third of what RCG is charging and they appear to be the same faceplates. I'll post some pics to show the quality as soon as I get them.

nusilver

Yeah, if anything it's persuaded me even more to stay away from RCG.

All I'm saying is that people on the Internet and NeoGAF in particular complain about things way more often than they have nice things to say. Calling that a telephone effect -- when one people or a couple people say something and everyone else repeats it without any first-hand experience -- isn't me making a proclamation from an ivory tower.

FSLink

Banned
I felt similarly to the Zelda one with the yellow trim and stuff. I feel like so long as I have a screen that isn't scratched, I'm happy.
I have a silver Micro so I think it'd look okay. Plus it'd look nice if I ever grab a green Micro sometime down the line.

All I'm saying is that people on the Internet and NeoGAF in particular complain about things way more often than they have nice things to say. Calling that a telephone effect -- when one people or a couple people say something and everyone else repeats it without any first-hand experience -- isn't me making a proclamation from an ivory tower.

People besides you, who say they have had legitimate customer service issues with RCG and who are simply trying to provide helpful, detailed feedback are NOT parroting a "telephone effect." They're just people providing impressions of their experience with a business providing a physical product. If everyone here had impressions of RCG as a business that were as glowing as yours, would that not be a "telephone effect" to you? I don't think anyone here is trying to bully or call RCG a horrible business. Just that people want to be sure they're going to have a relatively smooth ride when they're throwing down upwards of $200 for a modded Gameboy system.

FWIW, your impressions and pics of that beautiful unit have caused me to possibly give them another look in the future. But don't act like folks who have had negative or less than stellar experiences don't have the right to give us all a heads up.

Peagles

People besides you, who say they have had legitimate customer service issues with RCG and who are simply trying to provide helpful, detailed feedback are NOT parroting a "telephone effect." They're just people providing impressions of their experience with a business providing a physical product. If everyone here had impressions of RCG as a business that were as glowing as yours, would that not be a "telephone effect" to you? I don't think anyone here is trying to bully or call RCG a horrible business. Just that people want to be sure they're going to have a relatively smooth ride when they're throwing down upwards of $200 for a modded Gameboy system.

FWIW, your impressions and pics of that beautiful unit have caused me to possibly give them another look in the future. But don't act like folks who have had negative or less than stellar experiences don't have the right to give us all a heads up.

I think you just hit the nail on the head. People who post about their negative experiences on GAF (as well as those who don't have direct experience) aren't just doing it for the sake of complaining; they're doing it to give people a heads up. The point isn't to shit on RCG, or have a self-serving discussion about how awful they are, but to warn others of potential issues in order to protect other members. We are a supportive community.

Not interested in GBC honestly, I have all 3 Zelda games, MGS Ghost Babel loose and that's it

Granted there's not a lot of quality on the GBC, but the games I recommended would definitely be at home in any collection. IMO Samurai Kid in particular one of the best games on the platform, and the Gen-san game was made by the same company with a very similar game design.

How reliable are Micros at this point as far as batteries failing? Same issues as SPs losing their recharge capacity? What model of battery do they use?

putermcgee

if you have normal-sized hands or larger, micro should be out of the question.
I have normal-sized hands, and loved my Micro. The classic GBA definitely feels the best in my hands, but the increased portability and screen quality definitely makes it a viable option.

Eh, $10 to ship a faceplate seems excessive
Wow, that's crazy. Something tells me they didn't bother actually checking postage costs first. That, or they just went with the most convenient option available.

I can't imagine what shipping service they're using to have arrived at that $10.00 number. USPS First Class Mail should be be under or around $2.00 a label with delivery confirmation since the faceplate is so light. Bulk purchase bubble mailers for 20 cents or less, packing tape (not sure how to calculate the amount per parcel) But you get the idea. Not $10.00 unless they think their handling is worth $5.00+ (it's not) Even UPS Ground wouldn't be $10.00 regardless of what zone it's being sent to. That's just bizarre. They should probably fix that

I think you just hit the nail on the head. People who post about their negative experiences on GAF (as well as those who don't have direct experience) aren't just doing it for the sake of complaining; they're doing it to give people a heads up. The point isn't to shit on RCG, or have a self-serving discussion about how awful they are, but to warn others of potential issues in order to protect other members. We are a supportive community.

When I purchased from RCG, i wasn't 100% sure what I was getting myself into. I wanted to address issues that other people may not have mentioned or encountered yet; How long the nice paint would last, how the texture of the system felt with said paint, basically really obscure questions that I didn't have an answer to prior to purchase.

Their price point is steep and I wanted to give feedback before anyone spent their hard earned money.

-TK-

First GBA SP AGS-101 and now this:

xq3tRyS.jpg

Has anyone used Sentinel64 before to buy protective covers for their games? gameprotecting.com seems a bit cheaper with shipping (to the UK). Any other alternatives?

Borman

It did that for me also, with an old address I had deleted from PayPal. Pretty annoyed with that.

RCG did respond and said they would change the address. Luckily Im in the same building, just different apartment, but still so strange that it would do that.

Ultima_5

I was wondering if there was anywhere that sold plastic cases for cartridges? like the ones that used to be included on old gameboy games?

While the DS cases are neat and look good i have like 50+ gb carts and I don't want to add that to my 100+ DS shelf... I was hoping for the little plastic cases to keep them clean since they're all just going to be loose in a box....

I was hoping I could get them in bulk. Possibly also for gameboy advance cases.

like these things:
$%28KGrHqZ,!q!FI0Qi%28ElmBSNJP3LtJQ~~60_35.JPG

prateeko

A lot of people have been using old cassette tape cases and printing artwork for them. They look quite nice

I'd go with the CustomGameCases.com case over the cassette. Honestly, they fit well and while it would be 50 more to your shelf, they're not terribly big. That said, there are plenty of used ones on eBay. If you are patient you should be able to get it for cheap.

Also, any recommendations for type of paper for printing out new coverart for games? My buddy has a color laser at work I can use, but I don't know which type of paper will help me get the closest to original look.

Fheonix

Neo Member
I've also seen people buy a crapload of junk DS cases and then convert them into Gameboy Advance boxes. I've also seen people use a bit of foam and make them into Virtual Boy / Gameboy game cases. It could be an option?

v1perz53

Well RCG made a long post on their facebook page recently about how the supply of GBA backlight kits has basically dried up, and they have no way to get more, so they will probably not be selling modded GBAs anymore. Which means good or bad, they may not even be relevant to talk about here in a little while. Reminds me, I really need to actually take a chance and order a backlit GBA mod from somewhere.

Well RCG made a long post on their facebook page recently about how the supply of GBA backlight kits has basically dried up, and they have no way to get more, so they will probably not be selling modded GBAs anymore. Which means good or bad, they may not even be relevant to talk about here in a little while.
That sucks.

Is it possible for me to send a modder my AGS 101 and a regular GBA? Or is there more to it than that?

Ultima_5

I've seen lots for old Game Pak clamp cases on ebay and the like.

Yah, that's probably what I'll end up doing in the end. I was just wondering if one of the random retro repro online stores manufactured new ones.

A lot of people have been using old cassette tape cases and printing artwork for them. They look quite nice

Those do look excellent, but it seems like alot of effort to find cases in decent shape and print them

I'd go with the CustomGameCases.com case over the cassette. Honestly, they fit well and while it would be 50 more to your shelf, they're not terribly big. That said, there are plenty of used ones on eBay. If you are patient you should be able to get it for cheap.

Also, any recommendations for type of paper for printing out new coverart for games? My buddy has a color laser at work I can use, but I don't know which type of paper will help me get the closest to original look.

I'm still thinking about doing this in the end... I really should make cases for my SNES/N64 stuff first though...

OnPoint

Well RCG made a long post on their facebook page recently about how the supply of GBA backlight kits has basically dried up, and they have no way to get more, so they will probably not be selling modded GBAs anymore. Which means good or bad, they may not even be relevant to talk about here in a little while. Reminds me, I really need to actually take a chance and order a backlit GBA mod from somewhere.

This sucks, there was a model I wanted to order from them when it came back in stock.

Curse you, internet.

Peagles

We had some posts about this about two weeks ago in this thread, that's why everyone was scrambling to buy one from eBay.

RCG still do much more than 101 mods though, so not sure why they'd be irrelevant.

Mzo

Just ran through the first three Game Boy Mega Man games tonight. That 2nd one is a real piece of shit.

Went back to the Perfect Works book and read an apology for it from Inafune. That made me feel a little better.

Rich!

Gonna try getting back into Metroid Fusion later.

I may design a few more retroarch overlays based on GBM face designs, anyone got any good reccomendations? I've already done the famicom micro.

Its not like they can't be very easily purchased and replaced.
My point is it is difficult to know how old the existing stock is and, in the future, how difficult it might be to get replacement units. I think AA accumulators will still be available/manufactured for a long time, I am not so sure in regards to GB Micro a and SP replacement batteries.

Ultima_5

My point is it is difficult to know how old the existing stock is and, in the future, how difficult it might be to get replacement units. I think AA accumulators will still be available/manufactured for a long time, I am not so sure in regards to GB Micro a and SP replacement batteries.

are the rechargable batteries used in micros and sps a standarized battery? would they still be manufactured in the future for other devices?

Top Bottom