• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GB/GBC/GBA Collecting Thread

Peagles

Well, if it shows up and isn't a legit GBA I'll just get my money back. Says they had to replace the screen so we'll see. Its not like any of these systems are legit anyway. Everything is replaced aside from the motherboards.

Good plan. Yeh there's either a huge glut of old GBA stock in China or they're clones. They even come boxed and everything.

Borman

Not sure what to make of this....but they look like they're going quickly
http://pages.ebay.com/link/?nav=item.view&alt=web&id=271570040393

Well, if it shows up and isn't a legit GBA I'll just get my money back. Says they had to replace the screen so we'll see. Its not like any of these systems are legit anyway. Everything is replaced aside from the motherboards.

I ordered one earlier today. I agree, I fully expect it to be a clone, in which case I get my money back. No big deal.

prateeko

I ordered one earlier today. I agree, I fully expect it to be a clone, in which case I get my money back. No big deal.

If it's a clone can't you just swap out the motherboard with a legit one? Or is that going to involve soldering/more serious modifications? It seems like this is cheaper than the screen kits lee chan had, right?

Rich!

Yeah this GBA is awesome. Played my copy of Super Mario Advance 2....realized just how shittacular it is without the original snes colours restoration patch.

But I forgot my EZ Flash IV aaaaahhh

Borman

A lot of the clones have build in menus/games, or dont play GB/GBC color games which this says it does. A lot also have a sealed battery compartment with a rechargeable battery. So we will see. I dont expect to get it for a few weeks

Rich!

They're the same ones that were on Ali Express by the looks of things. I think they are clone systems rather than a modification of original Nintendo hardware, but I think someone in this thread did buy one for around $50USD if I recall correctly. I think they were going to post impressions when they got it.

Edit: And there's only 15 left on Ali Express now, wow!

That was me until I decided they would most likely suck ass and decided to cancel it and spend another £30 to get the real deal before it was too late.

Borman

This is what the seller said anyway, at least I have more should it be fake. I asked them if it had any built in games and if it was original or a clone.

Hi friend, no . the game console is original , not have built-in game . what kind of game do you want to play ?

I feel as if I'm missing out on something that I didn't feel like buying just yet. Don't know enough about it to just search and buy one either.

Rich!

Yeah. And there was at least a partial patch to remove most of the sounds on LttP. I think there were some issues, but overall a lot better.

I made a patch that removed all of it, but alas I lost it. Will try again in the future.

Here's another pic of my GBA:

ekjcom.jpg

I'm in hospital right now and it's a lifesaver lol

LAM09

ebay will return your money but by that point real ones will be crazy expensive.

It he was a UK seller it would be ok as you would know if it was genuine or not quickly, but the seller is located in China.

Edit: Looks like the going price for one in the UK is, £75.

^Power Quest is interesting. IIRC it was a regular monochrome game in Japan but for the western release, Sunsoft fully colorized it to take advantage of Game Boy Color.

prateeko

That seller has almost no feedback though. Most likely it's a scam at that price.

:/

It's eBay. The money back guarantee is actually quite good and heavily skewed towards customers. I'm gonna bite on one while making way to obtain one by more traditional (but expensive) means.

Borman

ebay will return your money but by that point real ones will be crazy expensive.

For me, I hope it is real because it is more comfortable, but otherwise I have 3 micros sitting around and a frontlit SP, so if it ends up being a bootleg at least I personally have other options.

fantastico

It he was a UK seller it would be ok as you would know if it was genuine or not quickly, but the seller is located in China.

Edit: Looks like the going price for one in the UK is, £75.

I got this one last Friday from seller called damwest on ebay for £50. Japanese model boxed, pretty much as new, very happy with it. I'd missed one a few days earlier but then he added some more, keep an eye on him as he may put some more on (none at the minute though)

$_12.JPG

LAM09

I got this one last Friday from seller called damwest on ebay for £50. Japanese model boxed, pretty much as new, very happy with it. I'd missed one a few days earlier but then he added some more, keep an eye on him as he may put some more on (none at the minute though)

$_12.JPG

Thanks. I will keep an eye out for him.

baphomet

That seller has almost no feedback though. Most likely it's a scam at that price.

:/

You realize its basically impossible to be scammed on eBay right?

Unless someone with an Indian name buys your digital code. Then you should redeem it as quick as possible after they pay for it, so they can't scam you.

Peagles

$_12.JPG

Is it a legit box with the paperwork and everything? If so that's pretty cool.

Edit: Hmm actually it's a box for a purple GBA?

prateeko

Has anyone here bought one from him?

I don't think so. I believe people are all taking a chance knowing full well it could end up poorly but eBay has good buyer protection and the price is low enough to have funds tied up for a couple months if it comes to it...

LAM09

I don't think so. I believe people are all taking a chance knowing full well it could end up poorly but eBay has good buyer protection and the price is low enough to have funds tied up for a couple months if it comes to it...

Ok. It seems too good to be true, but we will never know until we purchase one.

Highwind

$_12.JPG

I bought from the same seller. Happy with my GBA. :D

Is it a legit box with the paperwork and everything? If so that's pretty cool.

Edit: Hmm actually it's a box for a purple GBA?

The box was legit for me but didn't come with the paperwork. Only the cardboard used to hold the gba and it was wrapped.

The box I got was for the black gba edition as well.

I posted a picture of my gba here.

Not as bright in person but it's clearer than my front-lit gba. It was soldered as well. Took that pic with my Samsung galaxy s2.

prateeko

Ok. It seems too good to be true, but we will never know until we purchase one.

Pretty much my thoughts. I bought one but I don't expect it to end well so I'm working on alternate contingencies. I have a spare AGS-101 ("broken" which came part of a sweet auction set for ~$35 with a homebrew'd Wii which someone locked into the wrong region, a nice black Hori GCN pad, and a purple GCN controller port 1 broken) which I ended up transferring into an aftermarket Gold shell and use now, but from what I understand not all original AGS-101 screens can be used in AGB-001 (even with the appropriate cable).

The second one I'll swap into a near-mint NES SP I got for $25 (sold as broken on eBay but the battery was broken and once I placed a fresh one in the charger and the GBA worked like a charm - the giveaway there was it was swelling a little at the battery cover!).

Also, the supply clearly is drying up and the eBay sellers are getting greedy:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/181490425084

Highwind

That's good that it matches. I just wonder if the box is a good copy or the real thing.

The system looks nice. Does it have tri-wing screws or Philips screws?

Looked real enough to me. It was a tad beat up but felt authentic.

Here are some pics of the box:

And more of the gba:

The screws it came with were mostly tri-wings but I saw it had two which looked to be Philips screwdrivers (one was under a warranty sticker he must have added). I compared it to a GBA I received for Christmas when I was a kid and that had one similar Philips screwdriver. Lens are a bit scratched so I might change it someday.

Aside from it not being as bright as expected (was expecting micro/dsi levels at high) its the best retro purchase I made so far. Sure beats what I had to put up with to play these games.

Highwind

Yeah, I thought it was weird that it didn't so I searched on youtube and found this guy had the same box as me (which has the R symbol instead of TM).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xrizorDDq_k

Black edition. So I don't know whats up. Need to do more research.

Edit - GBA boxes on a japanese auction site also lack the trademark symbol and have an R in it's place.

Yeah, I thought it was weird that it didn't so I searched on youtube and found this guy had the same box as me (which has the R symbol instead of TM).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xrizorDDq_k

Black edition. So I don't know whats up. Need to do more research.

Edit - GBA boxes on a japanese auction site also lack the trademark symbol and have an R in it's place.

Yeah, the ones going for $60 that was posted yesterday and are all sold out have the R on the box in the picture instead of the TM as well.

Edit: Don't think the one in that video is a brand new one being unboxed either. Looks like the system was just stuffed in the box and the system itself doesn't have the sticker on the back.

Top Bottom