• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GB/GBC/GBA Collecting Thread

Dash Kappei

Not actually that important
Really? O_O I bought that last year from the game store I worked at for $9.99 box and all..

Proof or it didn't happen :p

I already have the game, but just want to say thanks for the tip. Anyone that wants the GBA cart, go for it!

Yeah I have one CiB myself already, I was on the lookout for a cart only Zero Mission EU I need (mine has been stolen, thank god I still have a jpn Cib one as well but it pisses me off looking at that empty perfect box and manual but no cart, sigh)

Woah. I have the just the cart. I used to have the box and instructions but got rid of them during my GBA game box purge about 5 years ago. Space issues.

You monster.

:p

Craft

Is this GB game "Kid Dracula" a remake of the first NES game? Or a remake and sequel? Just wondering if it renders the nes game obsolete.

It's a spin off starring Dracula's son who is on a quest to save his dad.

Kid_Dracula_(cover).jpg

From Wikipedia:
Kid Dracula is a comical gothic-themed platform game video game, and a spinoff to Castlevania. It is simultaneously a remake and a sequel to the 1990 Famicom game Akumajō Special: Boku Dracula-kun which was released in Japan only.

HYDE

Banned
Just came in to post that I have been watching auctions for months now and finally snagged a MGS ghost babel manual for GBC on eBay for $10...super stoked!

Never thought I would find this one sold alone.

Did it receive a low-print or something? What makes it so expensive?

This is the tenuous thing. It apparently got a reprint by gamequestdirect. But unlike titles like Dragon Quest 5 (DS) and Rez (PS2) the aftermarket price didn't implode after the reprint was released. I wonder is someone is hoarding all the new copies to make big money later.

Anyway, I really like GQD's philosophy. Read more about them here:
http://www.engadget.com/2006/01/17/game-quest-direct-and-the-secret-of-rare-game-reprints/

So, now that I'm close to finishing my CiB Pokemon GB/GBA collection (freaking Crystal...), I've decided to try to start on another series that I've always enjoyed: DBZ.

Most of them seem to be pretty reasonable, but some of them have straight up skyrocketed in price, especially for CiB examples. It's also proving to be kind of hard to find the boxes in pristine condition. Oh well, it'll just take some time I guess.

Does anyone have any info on the Hudson Game Can series?

I have the GB Genjin Game Can and I think it's such an awesome packaging. I know there's a bomberman one but I think there are others. I'd be interested in collecting them all.

I know they aren't cheap when they pop up. I got lucky and found my GB Genjin one for like $20.

Dash Kappei

Guys, help.
What the fuck is this shit?
I thought I had scored the deal of the year (15€ for Cib New sealed AW2 EU!) but now I'm pissed, it looks like umidity discolored everything? What do you think? Still sealed.

On the left there's my AU/NZ copy and on the right the Nintendo sealed EU copy:

jonno394

Guys, help.
I thought I had scored the deal of the year (15€ for Cib New sealed AW2 EU!) but now I'm pissed, it looks like umidity discolored everything? What do you think? Still sealed.

You sure it's a legit copy?

RoadDogg

Guys, help.

The new copies I see on Ebay all have much brighter box art then that.

Example: http://www.ebay.com/itm/ADVANCE-WAR...1518948?pt=Console_Giochi&hash=item35d842bc64

It was probably in a store window/case for too long and the sun faded it.

Lyte Edge

All I got for the Vernal Equinox was this stupid tag
Does anyone know what the games are that Konami released on the GBA that are Castlevania types? IIRC there were some Shaman King and Wai Wai World (Konami World?) games that played very similarly to SOTN.

EDIT: The Shaman King Master Of Spirits games appear to the SK games like SOTN. Doesn't look too hot.

Grizzo

Just found this thread and am so envious at a lot of collectors here, amazing stuff!

I've been a fan of the Gameboy ever since I got one back near the time they were released. I remember a friend who's dad just brought one back from the states (I was overseas at the time) and I could not live without one. I've owned many different ones and got rid of them for various stupid reasons, but recently started collecting again:

kxK2BP2.jpg

is that a backlit OG Game Boy ? It looks rad!

Does anyone know what the games are that Konami released on the GBA that are Castlevania types? IIRC there were some Shaman King and Wai Wai World (Konami World?) games that played very similarly to SOTN.

EDIT: The Shaman King Master Of Spirits games appear to the SK games like SOTN. Doesn't look too hot.

I dunno, I think they look kind of okay. Definitely not up to Castlevania standards, but not horrible.

OnPoint

I have both entries in the Shaman King series. One of them actually borrows background art from Circle of the Moon. They're not Castlevania good, but they're decent distractions and worth it at the right price.

But what is Wai Wai World. Now I need to look into it.

Dash Kappei

You sure it's a legit copy?

100% sure and I also never seen a proper CiB EU fake after all those years of collecting.

The new copies I see on Ebay all have much brighter box art then that.

Example: http://www.ebay.com/itm/ADVANCE-WAR...1518948?pt=Console_Giochi&hash=item35d842bc64

It was probably in a store window/case for too long and the sun faded it.

Yeah, that's it you're right: not humidity but sun fade :(

Yup, it looks just like classic sun fade. That sucks man. =(

I would still say 15 Euros is a great price though.

It is, but I'm pissed cause as you can see I already own a copy and wanted a sealed one and I specifically asked the seller and was told it was just a bad pic.
Will ask for a partial refund just out of principle.

putermcgee

That's hella nice. I love seeing limited edition Game Boys I've never seen before... because I always think I've seen them all!

Got these today as belated birthday gifts. Never knew how small Japanese GBC/A boxes are.
Super Robot Pinball is one of my favorite GBC games, and one of the only reasons I own a GBC instead of just a GB/GBP. It's so much like Pokemon Pinball, which is also one of may favorites. I almost bought this boxed the other day, but the condition wasn't quite good enough to justify having another copy.

I'm fairly certain that SP was a limited promotional version for Famicom's 20th Anniversary - the katakana at the bottom right reads 'Famicom 20th Anniversary Present Campaign'.

There was also another Red/White Famicom version that saw a more widespread release in Japan after the anniversary edition:

famisp-main-full.jpg
I used to have both versions of this, and I always thought the 20th Anniversary Present Campaign one was exclusive to Club Nintendo. Does anyone know if that's right? And I'll ask this again further down, but is there any documentation on the number of these limited editions that were made?

Been collecting on & off since the Jpn gba launch, still some games that i'd like to get but have most of the ones that i wanted now. Nowdays it seems a nightmare if you want something that doesn't have a crushed box or is not a fake, ebay is still ok but you really have to do your homework to avoid fakes. Thankfully it seems Jpn games are not targeted as much.

Most of the games i have, still a few weird obscure ones to get though.
S6301790.jpg

A complete set of the famicom mini series, these were a pain to get even back in the day, as play asia/play asia's suppliers were stealing the club nintendo codes out of the games meaning that i couldn't register to get the cases from club nintendo. Certain games were hard to get even on release meaning trying to find another copy with a code in was was annoying. Still it was worth it in the end as it's a fantastic set to own.
S6301780.jpg

Another thing of the gba i love to collect, the e-reader is hated by most people but i loved the thing. The extra stuff you could do with it was a lot of fun a precursor to the amiibo with content adding, was lucky to get quite a few complete sets of the cards before they disappeared from sale. Sadly my animal forest set will forever remain uncompleted :( Did manage to complete sets for Mario advance 4, Pikmin, Hamtaro, fzero, pokemon collosseum, Domokun
I used to have that bitGenerations collection too, and I loved it (though, Boundish is not very good at all). I was lucky enough to be in Japan when these came out, and picked each one up for roughly $20 each if I recall correctly. I can't believe DigiDrive was the one title to actually get re-released later on because Dialhex and Coloris were my favorites by far. Coloris is the only one I have now, and it's cart-only. The song you unlock after beating it is really good too!

I'm really trying to restrain myself when it comes to getting back into collecting, but I couldn't resist this purchase the other day:
F7b91yx.jpg

This was a Toys R Us limited release in Japan. In other years, they had a midnight blue (same as the GBA one from TRU) and one that was clear light blue on the front half and clear white on the back half. The previous week, I saw the midnight blue version at the same store and kind of regret not grabbing it now. The also have the clear blue/white now, but it's missing the battery cover, so that's a deal-breaker.

Anyway, I'm happy with the green one because it's in great shape and looks beautiful.

Are there any sites that document the number of copies made for these limited edition Game Boys?

Dash Kappei

Yup, it looks just like classic sun fade. That sucks man. =(

I would still say 15 Euros is a great price though.

So in the end we agreed to a refund for 1/3rd of the total. :)

I feel that, even in such conditions, at €10 it might still make it eligible for one of the top3 spots on my most awesome grabs of 2015 so far ^_^

I'm really trying to restrain myself when it comes to getting back into collecting, but I couldn't resist this purchase the other day:
F7b91yx.jpg

This was a Toys R Us limited release in Japan. In other years, they had a midnight blue (same as the GBA one from TRU) and one that was clear light blue on the front half and clear white on the back half. The previous week, I saw the midnight blue version at the same store and kind of regret not grabbing it now. The also have the clear blue/white now, but it's missing the battery cover, so that's a deal-breaker.
I bought a midnight blue GBC about a year ago and while its pretty nice and I appreciate the see through plastic it looks a lot more purple than I expected. It's not as far a the atomic purple one but it hardly looks blue at all.

Impotaku

I used to have both versions of this, and I always thought the 20th Anniversary Present Campaign one was exclusive to Club Nintendo. Does anyone know if that's right? And I'll ask this again further down, but is there any documentation on the number of these limited editions that were made?

I was lucky enough to be a member of the Japanese club Nintendo right from the very start of it so i remember most of the older campaigns, there were 3 campaigns in total to win the red & gold famicom edition gbasp. Only one of them was club nintendo

1st campign, It wasnt via club nintendo but a regular contest. In certain games there was an entry form & a sticker you put on it, you used this to enter (i found one in FFCC on the gamecube). This was the Famicom 20th anniversairy campaign & there was 1000 limited famicom sp's as prizes.

2nd campaign was also a regular nintendo contest for the famicoms 20th anniversairy, you had to write a small essay on what the famicom meant to you, the winners essays were posted on nintendo's site. (i'll see if there still up) There was 1000 given away for this contest. It was the same box as the 1st contest.

the 3rd & final campaign was the Club nintendo hot mario campaign, you registered certain mario games on club n to be entered into a prize draw, the winners got a limited famicom sp but it came in a red hot mario branded contest outer box with a copy of SMB like the ones in the famicom mini series, thre were 2000 of these given away.

jonno394

MAking a list of all GB/GBC/GBA games I want, and I remember one as I kid that I read about in a magazine. It was similar to Pokemon in that you it was an rpg about battling other trainers, but was about a handful of robots/models that the characters build themselves and then spend the game upgrading.

Im sure it was a gameboy game, and featured battles that were side on 2D fights. Anyone got any idea (and it's not Robopon)

edit - It was Power Quest, and looks like someone else in this thread asked the same question a few years back!

Funny thing about Power Quest is it was Monochrome GB-only in Japan. It was colorized and upgraded to GBC cart in the west. Of course, it's one of those BC black carts, but it runs way better on GBC with that faster CPU.

jonno394

Funny thing about Power Quest is it was Monochrome GB-only in Japan. It was colorized and upgraded to GBC cart in the west. Of course, it's one of those BC black carts, but it runs way better on GBC with that faster CPU.

Yeah been reading about it. There are only a handful of games where that happened right?

I may add it to my last bit its nowhere near as awesome sounding as it was when I was younger!

Thanks for the feedback, guys. I actually just went ahead and ordered one with that same label because it was only $20. I did also find this one with a "Fan Translation" label, but $36 was too much for me for just the cart ($45 with the case):

https://www.etsy.com/listing/189020...free-shipping-mother-3?ref=shop_home_active_2

Still cool to see though.

If anyone is interested in this still, you can use the code NINTENDOLIFE10 for ten percent off. I'd hurry though, not sure how long that'll last.

putermcgee

Are there YouTube videos that show the same game running side-by-side on GB and GBC? I'd be curious to see the difference in various games.

I was lucky enough to be a member of the Japanese club Nintendo right from the very start of it so i remember most of the older campaigns, there were 3 campaigns in total to win the red & gold famicom edition gbasp. Only one of them was club nintendo

1st campign, It wasnt via club nintendo but a regular contest. In certain games there was an entry form & a sticker you put on it, you used this to enter (i found one in FFCC on the gamecube). This was the Famicom 20th anniversairy campaign & there was 1000 limited famicom sp's as prizes.

2nd campaign was also a regular nintendo contest for the famicoms 20th anniversairy, you had to write a small essay on what the famicom meant to you, the winners essays were posted on nintendo's site. (i'll see if there still up) There was 1000 given away for this contest. It was the same box as the 1st contest.

the 3rd & final campaign was the Club nintendo hot mario campaign, you registered certain mario games on club n to be entered into a prize draw, the winners got a limited famicom sp but it came in a red hot mario branded contest outer box with a copy of SMB like the ones in the famicom mini series, thre were 2000 of these given away.
Wow, thanks for the info. I am 90% sure I had the Hot Mario version because I remember an outer box being on mine.

I actually like the regular white/cream/pearl Famicom SP more than this limited one, but you can't beat that collectibility! And in fact, I prefer the NES SP above all others. Putting an AGS-101 screen in one of those would be one of my holy grails.

prateeko

Figured I'd share something I picked up a while ago and a new creation...

Gold GBA from Japan. The power switch is a little sensitive but it only ran me ~$30 so I cannot complain! I'll take the dremel to it in a little and try and get a backlit screen in there...

prateeko said:

Then there's the black GBM RoryDropkick hooked me up with! I had a faceplate from RCG that I slapped on there and it looks fantastic! Also mad props to Rorydropkick for the candy!
prateeko said:

v1perz53

So close to being "done" with my GB/GBC/GBA collection, or at least finally re-purchasing all the games with nostalgic value from my childhood. All I have left at this point are Pokemon FireRed, Pokemon Silver and Zelda: LttP. I have a feeling FireRed will be frustrating, since a friend of mine recently tried to pick up a copy and found tons of fakes, but it's definitely lower on the list.

My favorite thing about GB/GBC/GBA collecting is that I didn't hit any real road blocks with games I wanted that were incredibly expensive. Left me with enough money to buy an AGS-101. Eventually want to grab a backlit OG GBA, but I have a really tough time trusting something like that to ebay, does anyone know of particularly trusted sellers there? Also glad I hated the micro form factor as a kid (can only imagine how I would feel now with adult hands and far worse eyesight), that could get pricey as well.

So close to being "done" with my GB/GBC/GBA collection, or at least finally re-purchasing all the games with nostalgic value from my childhood. All I have left at this point are Pokemon FireRed, Pokemon Silver and Zelda: LttP. I have a feeling FireRed will be frustrating, since a friend of mine recently tried to pick up a copy and found tons of fakes, but it's definitely lower on the list.

My favorite thing about GB/GBC/GBA collecting is that I didn't hit any real road blocks with games I wanted that were incredibly expensive. Left me with enough money to buy an AGS-101. Eventually want to grab a backlit OG GBA, but I have a really tough time trusting something like that to ebay, does anyone know of particularly trusted sellers there? Also glad I hated the micro form factor as a kid (can only imagine how I would feel now with adult hands and far worse eyesight), that could get pricey as well.

I find pokemon fakes tend to be some of the most blatant, so just be careful and you'll be fine.

Gold GBA from Japan. The power switch is a little sensitive but it only ran me ~$30 so I cannot complain! I'll take the dremel to it in a little and try and get a backlit screen in there...

Then there's the black GBM RoryDropkick hooked me up with! I had a faceplate from RCG that I slapped on there and it looks fantastic! Also mad props to Rorydropkick for the candy!

I wish RCG would restock their faceplates. The one I have for my Micro is scratched pretty badly.

I guess I should post my
incredibly lackluster
GB/GBC/GBA collection too. My SNES and PS1 collections are pretty good, but my GBC/GBA collection isn't that great any more. Recently started to rebuild it though.

Side Notes:
1) The yellow cart is Pokemon Yellow signed by Veronica Taylor (original Ash voice actress from the first three generations) when I met her since it's the only mainline Pokemon game that has Ash Ketchum in it.
2) The DKC2 and Golden Sun (1) carts on the top right are SUUUUPER fake. The Golden Sun one stopped holding saves around 2004. DKC2 straight up has the wrong label lol.
3) I bought that Game Boy Color a month ago because I hadn't played my Kirby Tilt N Tumble in over a decade. My completed save still works!

Tamanator

Well you now have quite the interesting story to tell regarding your copy of Link's Awakening.

I'm sure you'll treasure it even more now.

I'm glad you liked it! I know it's going to a good home :)

I finally got myself a copy of The Castlevania Adventure, and my God, it's sooooo slow. It seems like it would be a great game otherwise.

drizzle

Axel Hertz
Update: It certainly doesn't feel good to hurt someone who was pretty cool... and I felt like a total dick asking for it....

But it looks like I'm getting my cart back :)

Did you really break up with her by text? AFTER GIVING HER THE BEST MONTH IN YEARS?

I finally got myself a copy of The Castlevania Adventure, and my God, it's sooooo slow. It seems like it would be a great game otherwise.

Wasn't it remade on WiiWare? I was thinking of picking that up instead of the GB versions. I plan to get Legends and Belmont's revenge as well. I was also getting kinda jealous of the FE:Binding Blade copy that someone in this thread got earlier so I ended up selling my yellow copy with a silver cart and picked this up instead.

I also got a BIG ASS Haul of GBA/GB/GBC games at my local flea market so I'm gonna upload a pic soon.

Top Bottom