• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GB/GBC/GBA Collecting Thread

Update: It certainly doesn't feel good to hurt someone who was pretty cool... and I felt like a total dick asking for it....

But it looks like I'm getting my cart back :)

You're VERY fortunate she's willing to give it back to you when you broke up beforehand. Not saying all girls are bad about returning stuff afterwards, but I still think it was extremely risky for you not to have tried to sneak it back first somehow before breaking up. Anyways, sorry to hear of your break up, reading those texts = ;_;

Not to bust your chops BUT I won't believe you really got it back unless you post a picture of the cart in the thread. :) Btw,, the "doorman" she's leaving it with better not be this guy:

seinfeld-doorman.jpg

Peltz

You're VERY fortunate she's willing to give it back to you when you broke up beforehand. Not saying all girls are bad about returning stuff afterwards, but I still think it was extremely risky for you not to have tried to sneak it back first somehow before breaking up. Anyways, sorry to hear of your break up, reading those texts = ;_;

Not to bust your chops BUT I won't believe you really got it back unless you post a picture of the cart in the thread. :) Btw,, the "doorman" she's leaving it with better not be this guy:

seinfeld-doorman.jpg

lol... I have it in my hand. She held her word and my doorman is pretty awesome.

And also thanks man... you're right, reading those texts... among many others she sent... hit me so hard in the feels. It's hard to turn someone away who makes you feel good but, at the same time, ultimately isn't right for you.

I hope she bounces back quick.

lol... I have it in my hand. She held her word and my doorman is pretty awesome.

And also thanks man... you're right, reading those texts... among many others she sent... hit me so hard in the feels. It's hard to turn someone away who makes you feel good but, at the same time, ultimately isn't right for you.

I hope she bounces back quick.

I've caught up with that whole situation now, but you have my condolences. I'm really digging the quality of that cartridge by the way. The Label looks immaculate as fuck.

jonno394

Contemplating picking up some of the famicom mini/classic releases because their packaging is just awesome. Being titles from the mid 80's they're gonna be pretty playable without any grasp of Japanese right? I'm thinking both zeldas, the marios, metroid. ...among others.

I think Zelda II has the most text in out of those which might cause issues.

Impotaku

Contemplating picking up some of the famicom mini/classic releases because their packaging is just awesome. Being titles from the mid 80's they're gonna be pretty playable without any grasp of Japanese right? I'm thinking both zeldas, the marios, metroid. ...among others.

I think Zelda II has the most text in out of those which might cause issues.

You should be ok with nearly all them the only ones to probably avoid are the text adventure ones like both famicom detective club games and shin oni ga shima. Also the super robot wars game & sd gundam world will probably be too hard in Japanese, the rest should be ok though.

Grizzo

My copy of Wario Ware Twisted just came in the mail today!

So far I'm having fun with it! I was a huge fan of the first game in the series and it reminds me a lot of the very first time I played it!

Got my copy of FireRed. We'll worth the $28 for an authentic copy with a pristine label. I don't think I'm going to bother replacing the batteries in my gen 1 and 2 game anymore. No real point when I've already lost my rosters and I now have both FireRed and HeartGold.

jonno394

Just won this off ebay, the pokemon games will likely be sold straight away (not even sure they're all legit tbh but i'll find out when it's delivered). A new shell, mint condition with an AGS-101 screen, hoping everything else is legit about it!

QUfB75t.jpg

Paid slightly more than I wanted to for it, but as it's based in the UK and I can sell the Pokemon games, I'm not too fussed.

I resurrected a (what I though) dead DMG yesterday and even fixed the dead lines on the screen so have a good working Gameboy! Be excited, I purchased a backlight kit for it.

I'm familiar with what's needed and the electronic work doesn't scare me, but I was wondering if anyone had tips or advice for removing the Polarized Film from the back of the LCD.

F5BDCHTHO7XIMSY.SMALL.jpg

It looks relatively easy, but I'm afraid that something might go wrong with this step.

isitstill

I posted this in the Buy/Sell/Trade thread, but I figured I'd post it here too. Can't hurt, and reading this thread, you all have some serious expertise! Here it goes:

"So, this request is a bit unusual for the thread, but there's some real champs on here who I imagine could help me.

I bought a Mother 3 reproduction cart from Etsy. It worked fine for a while, but I've played the first chapter so many times, I kind of dawdled around (you know, i wasnt in a hurry or anything). Now I guess the battery has died. My save is gone.

I was going to try to change it myself, but I broke one of the terminals off of the board trying to remove the battery.

So, I need some kind soul who I can send my game to, and get a new battery put in and the connector resoldered. I can pay you for the service, or we can work out some kind of trade.

Please let me know if you can help me! I just got a backlit GBA SP, and really wanted to play the game on the hardware."

I'D especially like help from someone with feedback in the BST thread, but that may not happen. Anyway, PM me if you think you could help. Thanks so much.

mstevens

So (this is embarrassing) I'm going back and playing the Final Fantasy games that I missed... and I've never played V and VI. Are the GBA versions good, or should I wait for Nintendo to hopefully release the SNES version?

Which game should I get first?

Mercutio

So (this is embarrassing) I'm going back and playing the Final Fantasy games that I missed... and I've never played V and VI. Are the GBA versions good, or should I wait for Nintendo to hopefully release the SNES version?

Which game should I get first?

The GBA VI looks and really sounds inferior to the original. Given that so much of the game's charm is in he music, I don't know if I'd ever pick it over the SNES version.

If the original is still up on the Wii VC, I'd definitely play it there. I don't think the added dungeons are worth it.

Ugh, I just lost an hour of progress in Zero Mission because of the EZFlash 4's reset key combo. You press up, A, B, and L together to reset to the menu, and it's possible to hit that combo in a particularly hectic gun battle in Metroid... The worst part is that if you keep holding L, it won't save the SRAM to the card. Why the heck would you NOT want to save, like, ever? Now I have to redo that boring zero suit part...

jonno394

Another "how playable are Japanese imports" query....

I vastly prefer the Japanese boxes/artwork for the Mario/Wario games (across the GB and GBA), now I've played all the Mario games and know they'll be fine, but not played the Warios.

If I was to buy Mario Land 3: Wario Land, I doubt I'd encounter much difficulty, but the later ones, maybe the GBA one I'd wager have plenty of text to muddle through?

Another "how playable are Japanese imports" query....

I vastly prefer the Japanese boxes/artwork for the Mario/Wario games (across the GB and GBA), now I've played all the Mario games and know they'll be fine, but not played the Warios.

If I was to buy Mario Land 3: Wario Land, I doubt I'd encounter much difficulty, but the later ones, maybe the GBA one I'd wager have plenty of text to muddle through?

Wario Land 4 hardly has any text.

The Mario Advance games have a bit in the menus (and level names in World) but it's pretty obvious. Just take a look yourself: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=42Q7fPiXq00

jonno394

Thanks for the reply. Gone ahead and ordered the first wario. Think I'm gonna try and get the mario/wario/kirby games from Japan as well as the starfy titles.

plc268

Seeing the nintendo logo isn't a valid way of detecting fakes anymore.

Instead, look at the holes on the pins (vias). Real carts will never have the holes on the pin itself, always at the end. Fakes (almost?) always have the holes on the pin itself.

jonno394

Instead, look at the holes on the pins (vias). Real carts will never have the holes on the pin itself, always at the end. Fakes (almost?) always have the holes on the pin itself.

Most modern fakes say "Nintendo" inside now.

Yes, I linked to that picture because I was implying my carts match those (ie holes at the end of the pins, not on them font matches perfectly, battery can be seen, correct code on sticker and on board....)

Listing these on ebay now because i'm not the biggest Pokemon fan.

Xhorder

I just got a fake Metroid Zero Mission PAL cart from Ebay. Instead of Metroid it contains a game called Fightbox. The pins don't contain any holes, the Nintendo logo is visible and the cart looks real and untampered if I compare it with my other carts. So is it also possible to someone moved the inside contents of one cartridge to another?

Mercutio

I just got a fake Metroid Zero Mission PAL cart from Ebay. Instead of Metroid it contains a game called Fightbox. The pins don't contain any holes, the Nintendo logo is visible and the cart looks real and untampered if I compare it with my other carts. So is it also possible to someone moved the inside contents of one cartridge to another?

Quite possible that someone damaged a valuable game, and then thought they could get away with swapping it for a cheap one.

Mercutio

Actually this is also why Nintendo stopped using regular screws in NES games and started using security screws after launch. People were switching out boards of games they rented.

There's a retro shop called JnL Games in New York that has a stupid holographic sticker. They put it over the screw holes of games like a jackass.

Grizzo

Soooo Wario Ware Twisted is such a blast to play! It's been a long time since I had so much fun playing a game, grinning all along. Well... It happened quite a lot with Wii U games too so it's not totally right.

But still, what a good feeling.

prateeko

I made a little guide, but basically you'll find the four letter code on the PCB is different than the game code since it looks like it was most likely swapped out.

lupinko

Locally there's two good condition famicom
micros but they're a little over $100 each.

I'm kinda debating buying a modded og gba with ag101 screen off eBay.

I should be fairly content with my three DSLites and two sp ag001, but I don't know something about the modded gba just screams buy me. Lol

Top Bottom