• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GB/GBC/GBA Collecting Thread

Peltz

It's worth checking out, the selection is fairly good. Sometimes they judge the price on older stuff poorly, and you can get a good deal.

If you want GREAT prices though (sub eBay) check out my buddy at Gotham City Games in Bay Ridge. Totally worth the trip even if you're coming from a ways out.

http://www.yelp.com/biz/gotham-city-games-brooklyn-3

Interesting... I will totally check that place out. Thanks so much for the tip!

Mercutio

Interesting... I will totally check that place out. Thanks so much for the tip!

He manages to get rare stuff in fairly often. I did photos for him a few weeks ago, after he got everything set up. Lemme see.

DAP_5751_zps6c5vr5mu.jpg

DAP_5834_zpssyywsjze.jpg

DAP_5766_zpsklafqk9y.jpg

DAP_5911_zpsgrpbusxl.jpg

Yes, that was the actual price on a mint (open) Tron Bonne. Alas, it is already sold.

Peltz

He manages to get rare stuff in fairly often. I did photos for him a few weeks ago, after he got everything set up. Lemme see.

Looks nice and clean/organized... far better than that price gouging shit-hole retro shop in the Lower East Side which shall remain nameless...

Mercutio

VGNY is fun to visit but I rarely see anything that isn't overpriced.... like more expensive than ebay levels....

What's the other one?

I dare not speak its name.

But I will anyway.

http://www.8bitandup.com/

These guys have a filthy store, and nothing is in good shape. They want VGNY prices, but everything is just in a disgusting bin covered in filth. $35 for a Saturn controller that looks like it's been stored in a butt? No, thanks. You actually have to clean it to charge those prices.

OnPoint

But I will anyway.

These guys have a filthy store, and nothing is in good shape. They want VGNY prices, but everything is just in a disgusting bin covered in filth. $35 for a Saturn controller that looks like it's been stored in a butt? No, thanks. You actually have to clean it to charge those prices.

:lol

There as a dude at the local flea market that used to be here we called "Dirty Rich". His merch was always filthy as fuck but he wanted top dollar. Plus he was a dick about it.

I never bought shit off him.

Mercutio

:lol

There as a dude at the local flea market that used to be here we called "Dirty Rich". His merch was always filthy as fuck but he wanted top dollar. Plus he was a dick about it.

I never bought shit off him.

Some people just don't understand that condition matters. And frankly, I kind of doubt they ever will. Most of the stuff I get now is from Japan, and that seems to be an issue much less there.

Anything I've ever gotten from GCG has been clean and working without any additional work though.

v1perz53

If you want GREAT prices though (sub eBay) check out my buddy at Gotham City Games in Bay Ridge. Totally worth the trip even if you're coming from a ways out.

I love Gotham City Games (wish the store hours lined up with my free time a bit better though), definitely the best spot in Brooklyn or Manhattan I've found. Sub-ebay prices is a bit of a stretch though, they have up on their facebook currently a few N64 games for sale, with DK64 and Banjo-Kazooie for $25, and Kirby 64 for $30, while this past week I got those on ebay for $16.25, $17, and $23 respectively (including shipping).

Though their prices are certainly ebay competitive, sometimes better, and there is something to be said for being able to see and hold the item you will be getting before buying it to verify the condition.

Mercutio

I love Gotham City Games (wish the store hours lined up with my free time a bit better though), definitely the best spot in Brooklyn or Manhattan I've found. Sub-ebay prices is a bit of a stretch though, they have up on their facebook currently a few N64 games for sale, with DK64 and Banjo-Kazooie for $25, and Kirby 64 for $30, while this past week I got those on ebay for $16.25, $17, and $23 respectively (including shipping).

Though their prices are certainly ebay competitive, sometimes better, and there is something to be said for being able to see and hold the item you will be getting before buying it to verify the condition.

Huh! The things I've gotten there have been generally under eBay or around it. I got Hyperstone Heist for $50, and Turtles in Time for $45 recently.

v1perz53

Huh! The things I've gotten there have been generally under eBay or around it. I got Hyperstone Heist for $50, and Turtles in Time for $45 recently.

My experience there has been that they are very good for rare and generally expensive things, being very competitive and often under ebay prices on those. But they really like to end their prices with a 5 or 0, so a lot of the more random or common games they can be a bit over.

Still a fantastic place to visit with really nice staff, highly recommend for anyone who can get to Brooklyn without much trouble.

Yes, that was the actual price on a mint (open) Tron Bonne. Alas, it is already sold.

Wow, wish I'd known about this place when I was visiting NYC back in November, will have to go there next time. Does he also occasionally carry rare stuff like Earthbound, Radiant Silvergun, ect.?

Mercutio

Wow, wish I'd known about this place when I was visiting NYC back in November, will have to go there next time. Does he also occasionally carry rare stuff like Earthbound, Radiant Silvergun, ect.?

If he can get it in, sure. You can also contact him and he'll look around for you for specific games. He's set things aside for me in the past.

fester

Banned
So (this is embarrassing) I'm going back and playing the Final Fantasy games that I missed... and I've never played V and VI. Are the GBA versions good, or should I wait for Nintendo to hopefully release the SNES version?

Which game should I get first?

The GBA VI looks and really sounds inferior to the original. Given that so much of the game's charm is in he music, I don't know if I'd ever pick it over the SNES version.

If the original is still up on the Wii VC, I'd definitely play it there. I don't think the added dungeons are worth it.

Curious if anyone has opinions on the different English versions of FF V. Since we didn't get the SNES version in the US, that leaves PS1, GBA, and iOS (shudder). I'm guessing GBA is the best option with updated translation and no lag, but did the sound/music suffer?

Has anyone else had trouble finding a decent copy of Pokemon Crystal for a non-insane price? I've got every other Gameboy Pokemon game complete now, but a good Pokemon Crystal copy has eluded me for over a year now. Every copy I've found either has a crappy box, or is insanely expensive.

Has anyone else had trouble finding a decent copy of Pokemon Crystal for a non-insane price? I've got every other Gameboy Pokemon game complete now, but a good Pokemon Crystal copy has eluded me for over a year now. Every copy I've found either has a crappy box, or is insanely expensive.

I'm pretty sure it's the most expensive classic pokemon game CIB, no? I was under that impression.

I'm pretty sure it's the most expensive classic pokemon game CIB, no? I was under that impression.

Oh yes, it definitely is. Emerald would be second, but a distant second.

I know it's rare, but it just seems frustratingly hard to find one in decent shape. I'm pretty picky though. Oh well, it'll happen eventually.

For Game Boy, possibly. But don't look at those GameCube Pokemkm Box prices.
I was thinking mainline games, but that's fair.
Oh yes, it definitely is. Emerald would be second, but a distant second.

I know it's rare, but it just seems frustratingly hard to find one in decent shape. I'm pretty picky though. Oh well, it'll happen eventually.
Yeah, my point was more speaking to that price being indicative of some aspect of scarcity. I find with games that are very popular (just as pokemon) there's a large surplus of awful copies. Give it some time and that becomes more and more obvious.

This week I bought Megaman & Bass, Metal Slug Advance, Sword of Mana, Duke Nukem Advance, Doom (CIB) and Wolfenstein, for $100 shipped. I envy all you guys getting these great deals, I always end up spending too much.

But now I'm coming close to owning all cool (in my opinion) GBA games. Won't be long until I cannot spend any more money on GBA collecting, as there'll be nothing good left to buy. Or that's what I tell myself, at least.

v1perz53

Man, I am so glad my mom had some crazy foresight to save all of my old GB/GBC/GBA boxes and manuals up in some closet away from me. Just found that I have a CIB pokemon crystal in my closet because of it. And even in the cases where I ended up selling the game, it is nice to just have to get a loose cart because I have the box/manual at home. Had no idea CIB crystal was going for that much.

Now if only she had done that for my NES/Genesis/N64 games... Those boxes are long gone.

Renpatsu

Man, I am so glad my mom had some crazy foresight to save all of my old GB/GBC/GBA boxes and manuals up in some closet away from me. Just found that I have a CIB pokemon crystal in my closet because of it. And even in the cases where I ended up selling the game, it is nice to just have to get a loose cart because I have the box/manual at home. Had no idea CIB crystal was going for that much.

Now if only she had done that for my NES/Genesis/N64 games... Those boxes are long gone.
I have all my old GB games CIB... With the lone exception of Pokemon Crystal. WHAT DID YOUNG ME DO WITH THE BOX?! This haunts me to this day.

prateeko

This week I bought Megaman & Bass, Metal Slug Advance, Sword of Mana, Duke Nukem Advance, Doom (CIB) and Wolfenstein, for $100 shipped. I envy all you guys getting these great deals, I always end up spending too much.

But now I'm coming close to owning all cool (in my opinion) GBA games. Won't be long until I cannot spend any more money on GBA collecting, as there'll be nothing good left to buy. Or that's what I tell myself, at least.

I slowed down a lot myself also. Really Ninja Five is left >.<

Lyte Edge

All I got for the Vernal Equinox was this stupid tag

But I will anyway.

Here's a documentary on them. Definitely not the most-pleasant looking place. Love those dust-covered shelves!
BARF

Boss Mog

After looking at prices of some GBA games and systems on eBay I might have to sell my collection. It would sadden me greatly but I'm poor so...

Boss&#9733;Moogle;160745107 said:
After looking at prices of some GBA games and systems on eBay I might have to sell my collection. It would sadden me greatly but I'm poor so...

I would try to hold on as long as you can, I think prices are rising these days, might be at NES/SNES levels in a few years.

I started going through my old magazine collection from the 90's/early 2000's and loved reading the articles about the gaming, the Game Boy and upcoming Game Boy related games.

I thought about how things were growing up, looking forward to a new Magazine monthly and how I would read and re-read them every night before bed.

Which brings me to my question - would anyone mind if I started sharing Game Boy related articles, review, ads from that era?

To start with, here are the Game Boy related pages from June of 2001, just after the release of the GBA in Japan and right before the US Release. I have older magazines, but I pulled this one out first.

http://imgur.com/a/jFFw0#0

Let me know if this is out of place or if it's okay to post these. It wouldn't be everyday and I don't know how much GB related articles there actually are in my magazines.

MikeSan

Awesome collection, can't believe someone would put a huge sticker on that gba mario advance 3 box. It's making me sweat just looking at it, hope you can get it off ok.

Thanks. ;)

Don't worry, the sticker is on the plastic wrap, not on the box itself.

Impotaku

Ah that's much better, with box art that lovely it would be a shame if it got damaged. That box also has a very unusual texture to the regular game boxes they made it rough to feel chalky to match the artwork design it was a really nice detail.

redhairedking

Ah that's much better, with box art that lovely it would be a shame if it got damaged. That box also has a very unusual texture to the regular game boxes they made it rough to feel chalky to match the artwork design it was a really nice detail.

I never knew that, that's actually really cool

Great, now I might have to also import a Jpn copy of YI GBA someday. :p

But I will anyway.

I went there once and it was awful. I walked in and started browing while a dude was playing a video game. I thought he was a customer or something, so I didn't really care. 5 minutes later he asks, "What are you looking for?" I reply, "Oh, I'm just browsing, but thank you." He says, "No, what are you looking for?" I stare at him, raising my eyebrows and I let him know again I was browsing. He says, "It'll be easier if you just tell me." So, I make up some inane item he wouldn't possibly have--I think I asked if he had the controller Hori made for the 3DO. He said, "Oh, you'll have to check eBay for that." Yep. And then he starts muttering to himself.

Bizarre experience for a store that is really mediocre otherwise (for reasons that Mecurtio stated)

Fireblend

Banned
Welp, I'm officially joining the backlit GBA owners club thanks to a fellow gaffer who put one up for sale at a pretty decent price (thanks Hero_of_the_Day!). I've been tempted for so long to get one! :D can't wait til it gets here!

Mercutio

I went there once and it was awful. I walked in and started browing while a dude was playing a video game. I thought he was a customer or something, so I didn't really care. 5 minutes later he asks, "What are you looking for?" I reply, "Oh, I'm just browsing, but thank you." He says, "No, what are you looking for?" I stare at him, raising my eyebrows and I let him know again I was browsing. He says, "It'll be easier if you just tell me." So, I make up some inane item he wouldn't possibly have--I think I asked if he had the controller Hori made for the 3DO. He said, "Oh, you'll have to check eBay for that." Yep. And then he starts muttering to himself.

Bizarre experience for a store that is really mediocre otherwise (for reasons that Mecurtio stated)

It is the unfriendliest shopping experience. I have to assume that someone who works there is loaded, living off of mommy / daddy's money, and doesn't give a shit if they actually sell anything. VGNY might have the same prices and a smaller store, but it's easy to find things there... and everything is clean.

Superfrog

Bought a backlit GBA some time ago in order to get more involved in my GBA games again. Unfortunately box & manual only exist for approx. a third of them. Ignore the DS rumble pack. ^^

IyhxOSK.jpg

zaWV0UX.jpg

Bought a backlit GBA some time ago in order to get more involved in my GBA games again. Unfortunately box & manual only exist for approx. a third of them. Ignore the DS rumble pack. ^^

IyhxOSK.jpg

zaWV0UX.jpg

Very nice! I have really been thinking of doing this to my GBA, but it would break my heard to lose a perfectly good SP in the process.

Top Bottom