• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GB/GBC/GBA Collecting Thread

Mzo

Mario is a momentum-based platformer. Not as thick as Sonic, but it's there.

SML2 plays like a floaty pile. It's awful. The graphics look nice, though.

Oh, and the music is trash when compared to SML's godlike soundtrack.

yeah, I find SML2's gameplay mechanics uncomfortable relative to every other mario game I've played. Level design is pretty good, but i'm not sure that makes up for it.

Oh, and the music is trash when compared to SML's godlike soundtrack.

Okay, I've gotta disagree here. I think both soundtracks are pretty great, though SML2 admittedly overuses it's leitmotif.

While we're talking about early showcases for the GB, I just finished another playthrough of Gargoyle's Quest, and it kinda surprises me that such a polished (relative to the rest of the GB library at the time), relatively well realized game launched within the Game Boy's first year of life. I guess that's a testament to how godlike Capcom was back then more than anything, though.

I played through Ninja Gaiden Shadow today. It's such an easy game, but I like that every once in a while. Some games are soo hard!! I'm going to try the Mega Man GB game I have, but I know it's pretty hard, which is why I don't have very many memories of it...

Edit- I beat Mega Man II (Game Boy). It wasn't as hard as I thought it would be. Pretty fun game!

Peltz

I really wish I could also contribute more to this thread but unfortunately I can't afford to collect for the GBA as I have commitments with other consoles... but for now I am just going to post my small humble bits.

6A7C6527-3AC9-4AE2-AD08-A997E014C7A2.jpg

E2D775BD-5942-483C-AFCE-F36716562480.jpg

200F2E24-999C-42CF-9D24-941DA74DC0A4.jpg

I've always been tempted by the FF ports on GBA... I've also always been tempted to grab a GB Micro. Your post is making me a bit jealous.

My 101 dropped off the bed a few days ago and the casing around the top screen completely broke. How easy is it to replace the top shell?

Mzo

I played through Ninja Gaiden Shadow today. It's such an easy game, but I like that every once in a while. Some games are soo hard!! I'm going to try the Mega Man GB game I have, but I know it's pretty hard, which is why I don't have very many memories of it...

Edit- I beat Mega Man II (Game Boy). It wasn't as hard as I thought it would be. Pretty fun game!

Mega Man 2 on Game Boy was outsourced to the lowest bidder. The music is atrocious and unrecognizable, and the game is way too easy. It was so bad that Capcom switched back to Minakuchi Engineering with a quickness for 3-5, and while 1 was kinda rough the later ME games were solid.

I just felt like listing out my GB/GBA collection, so here goes:

Game Boy:

Donkey Kong Land 3
Mega Man 2
James Bond 007
Gex: Enter the Gecko
Tamagotchi
Zelda Link's Awakening
Revelations the Demon Slayer
Pokemon Red
Pokemon Blue
Super Mario Bros Deluxe
Ninja Gaiden Shadow
Dragon Warrior 1&2
Dragon Warrior 3
Operation C
Dragon Warrior Monsters
Dr. Mario
Super Mario Land 2
Wario Land
Tetris
R Type DX

GBA:

Breath of Fire
Golden Sun
Mega Man Battle Network 3
Mario and Luigi: Superstar Saga
Earthworm Jim 2
Iridion 2
Super Mario Bros
Super Mario Advance
Final Fantasy 6
Fire Emblem: Sacred Stones
Spyro: Eternal Night
Super Mario Bros 3
Super Mario World
Donkey Kong Country 2
Klonoa: Empire of Dreams
Castlevania
Castlevania: Circle of the Moon
Sonic Advance 2

TheMoon

I just felt like listing out my GB/GBA collection, so here goes:

Game Boy:

Donkey Kong Land 3
Mega Man 2
James Bond 007
Gex: Enter the Gecko
Tamagotchi
Zelda Link's Awakening
Revelations the Demon Slayer
Pokemon Red
Pokemon Blue
Super Mario Bros Deluxe
Ninja Gaiden Shadow
Dragon Warrior 1&2
Dragon Warrior 3
Operation C
Dragon Warrior Monsters
Dr. Mario
Super Mario Land 2
Wario Land
Tetris
R Type DX

GBA:

Breath of Fire
Golden Sun
Mega Man Battle Network 3
Mario and Luigi: Superstar Saga
Earthworm Jim 2
Iridion 2
Super Mario Bros
Super Mario Advance
Final Fantasy 6
Fire Emblem: Sacred Stones
Spyro: Eternal Night
Super Mario Bros 3
Super Mario World
Donkey Kong Country 2
Klonoa: Empire of Dreams
Castlevania
Castlevania: Circle of the Moon
Sonic Advance 2

Pics or it didn't happen.

Bakkus

GameCube homebrew software to replace the stock GameBoy Player software. Good because the GBP hardware is often sold without the software (for much cheaper) plus it's a much better implementation as stated above.

Wait, when you download this, how does it get transfered to your GB Player hardware? That link + instructions makes no sense to me. I've heard about the problems GB Player has and that this supposedly fixes them, but are there any videos out which highlights these problems? Any comparison videos out there?

Peagles

Wait, when you download this, how does it get transfered to your GB Player hardware? That link + instructions makes no sense to me. I've heard about the problems GB Player has and that this supposedly fixes them, but are there any videos out which highlights these problems? Any comparison videos out there?

It's homebrew software you run with the GB Player hardware instead of the original software. I believe some footage has been posted earlier in this thread but not sure about direct comparisons.

TheMoon

It's homebrew software you run with the GB Player hardware instead of the original software. I believe some footage has been posted earlier in this thread but not sure about direct comparisons.

But I think he's asking how the software gets from his compuper onto the GCN :)

Bakkus

So how does the process go after getting this Media Launcher? You get the files on an SD card, put the SD card in that launcher and after that then what? I also read that you don't need the GB Player disc any longer after this. But then, how does the machine know if you wanna play the GB Player or regular GC games if you don't use that disc?

Peagles

So how does the process go after getting this Media Launcher? You get the files on an SD card, put the SD card in that launcher and after that then what? I also read that you don't need the GB Player disc any longer after this. But then, how does the machine know if you wanna play the GB Player or regular GC games if you don't use that disc?

I don't use it myself, but from what I gather it comes with a disc and an SD card reader for the memory card slot. You put that disc in and that helps you launch homebrew software from the SD card.

Mega Man 2 on Game Boy was outsourced to the lowest bidder. The music is atrocious and unrecognizable, and the game is way too easy. It was so bad that Capcom switched back to Minakuchi Engineering with a quickness for 3-5, and while 1 was kinda rough the later ME games were solid.

I enjoyed Mega Man 2. It was easier than I expected, I'll give you that.

I have Mega Man 5 Game Boy on my 2DS virtual console. I'll have to give that another shot.

I forgot Yoshi's Island. That's the Advance game currently in my DS. I'm playing through it slowly.
Nice collection, my friend. I posted mine a good while back, hope to post some new pictures because it's since grown. Here are my latest purchases:

I've had Sonic Advance 2 for a while, so I decided to pick up 1 and 3 to finish the collection. I have a few more games on the way, too, onces I've wanted for a while.

Nice collection, my friend. I posted mine a good while back, hope to post some new pictures because it's since grown. Here are my latest purchases:

I've had Sonic Advance 2 for a while, so I decided to pick up 1 and 3 to finish the collection. I have a few more games on the way, too, onces I've wanted for a while.

Thank you! Yeah, I've been having a lot of fun with it lately. I beat Super Mario World today. It had been a while since I played that.

I have Sonic Advance 2 also, but not 1 or 3. You'll have to let me know how they are if you play them!

There are only a few more games I want. I have Super Ghouls n Ghosts on SNES, but I think they made a GBA port of that.

I just played some Mega Man IV on the virtual console and man is that game hard! I liked MM II on the Game Boy better. I can see that there is a good game here (after all, it's Mega Man), but it still feels too hard. I got to Ring Man on my last life with no health left over.

I watched a playthrough of Mega Man V (still talking about Game Boy here) and it seemed pretty good. I tried it and couldn't get too far, but that was a few months ago. (edit) I just played Megaman 5 a bit more and it's pretty good. I like it better than IV for sure. There is a bit of slowdown in both games though...

I just beat Mega Man 1 (NES) yesterday, so I know I can play Mega Man at least decently.

Mercutio

Okay, gang.

So I've got a GBA OG, and I just reshelled and cleaned my AGS 101. I'm not sure if I'm going to install the screen in the OG at this point, because it doesn't really address my main concern: sound quality.

Is there a GBA variant that has decent audio? I know the system has kind of shit sound to begin with, but I'm more concerned with the constant background buzzing in a lot of games. I know it's pretty common on older systems, but if someone was to say "The GBA Micro doesn't have it" I'll buy one in a god damned second.

Okay, gang.

So I've got a GBA OG, and I just reshelled and cleaned my AGS 101. I'm not sure if I'm going to install the screen in the OG at this point, because it doesn't really address my main concern: sound quality.

Is there a GBA variant that has decent audio? I know the system has kind of shit sound to begin with, but I'm more concerned with the constant background buzzing in a lot of games. I know it's pretty common on older systems, but if someone was to say "The GBA Micro doesn't have it" I'll buy one in a god damned second.

Gameboy Player doesn't have it. :)

The crappy muffled audio helps a lot to smooth out the low sample rate GBA natively puts out. The buzz/hum is a bit annoying but it's just part of the experience. No emulator that I've found ever seems to get GBA audio quite right, cause none of them seem to "ruin" the audio output in quite the right way.

Mercutio

Gameboy Player doesn't have it. :)

The crappy muffled audio helps a lot to smooth out the low sample rate GBA natively puts out. The buzz/hum is a bit annoying but it's just part of the experience. No emulator that I've found ever seems to get GBA audio quite right, cause none of them seem to "ruin" the audio output in quite the right way.

Ha! I suppose a lot of systems are that way. You do want a Genesis with the RIGHT crappy audio, instead of the BAD crappy audio. Oh everyone put away the knives, I'm kidding.

I've been playing a lot of Mother 3 lately, and it sounds AMAZING on the GBA Player on my Gamecube. It's the graphics there that are a letdown. I'm running component out of my GC, but I've struggled to find a good setting on my Framemeister that captures how lovely the game looks on my AGS 101 screen. It's always kind of fuzzy.

Donkey Kong Land is the worst.

DKL 3 is decent. Just played that the other day.

Okay, gang.

The original DS and the DS lite have a GBA slot. The sound is probably better than the older GBAs. I lost my GBA micro so I don't know about that.

Mercutio

The original DS and the DS lite have a GBA slot. The sound is probably better than the older GBAs. I lost my GBA micro so I don't know about that.

I lost mine too, and I mourn it every day. God I loved that thing. Really got me through my first few years of living in NYC. I'd love to get another one, but I worry about stuck pixels and the like with systems on eBay. I'd probably pay a lot of money for one in guaranteed perfect shape with no stuck pixels.

Duster

I guess I should say something other than just posting a picture so hooray for hardware that wasn't region locked. I can see late 3DS games not making it to Europe but without the option to import like WW:Tristed and Drill Dozer.

yyxRQFW.jpg

Ha! I suppose a lot of systems are that way. You do want a Genesis with the RIGHT crappy audio, instead of the BAD crappy audio. Oh everyone put away the knives, I'm kidding.

I've been playing a lot of Mother 3 lately, and it sounds AMAZING on the GBA Player on my Gamecube. It's the graphics there that are a letdown. I'm running component out of my GC, but I've struggled to find a good setting on my Framemeister that captures how lovely the game looks on my AGS 101 screen. It's always kind of fuzzy.

Have you considered GBI for 240p instead of that blurry GBP mess?

I've been meaning to get DKL 1-3. I owned the first one for the OG GB, quite enjoyed it but never played the other two. I know they're available on the 3DS VC, but I don't like the AB button placement/setup on it for GB games. Would prefer to use YB. Nintendo hasn't by any chance updated the setting to allow us to do this, has it?

Also, I have a front-lit GBC that I'd like to play it on!

I've been meaning to get DKL 1-3. I owned the first one for the OG GB, quite enjoyed it but never played the other two. I know they're available on the 3DS VC, but I don't like the AB button placement/setup on it for GB games. Would prefer to use YB. Nintendo hasn't by any chance updated the setting to allow us to do this, has it?

Also, I have a front-lit GBC that I'd like to play it on!

I guess I get that. I played Mario with YB and it made it easier to run and jump at the same time.

3DS VC is more convenient than hunting down or ordering the actual games. Besides, doesn't the GBC just have A and B buttons?

I guess I get that. I played Mario with YB and it made it easier to run and jump at the same time.

3DS VC is more convenient than hunting down or ordering the actual games. Besides, doesn't the GBC just have A and B buttons?
Wait, which Mario did you play with YB?

Yes, GBC has only AB, but the AB setup on the GBC is more comfortable to me compared to the AB setup on the 3DS. If you compare both systems, and even the GBA/SP to the 3DS, I think you'll find that the slant is a little different in comparison.

Wait, which Mario did you play with YB?

Yes, GBC has only AB, but the AB setup on the GBC is more comfortable to me compared to the AB setup on the 3DS. If you compare both systems, and even the GBA/SP to the 3DS, I think you'll find that the slant is a little different in comparison.

New Super Mario Bros 2. You can choose between AB and YB in the options.

Mzo

Been playing my portable Dragon Warriors/Quests to catch up to DQVII's release. Finished DW I, which is quaint and charming. Playing through DW II on the same cart, using the same engine. All the GBC updates are nice, like a context sensitive button and smart auto-targeting.

DW II is really surprising me. It has some cool events (for the time) when you meet your party members. Once you get the boat, the world really opens up in a kind of shocking way. The map is way bigger than the first game, and even includes a scaled version of the entirety of the first game's entire continent.

Anyway, cool stuff.

Huh! What's the easiest way to play it if I have an unmodified Gamecube and no SD-loading memory cards or whatever?

get one of those (lol). Some people have had luck getting an SD loader, but I personally haven't seen many for a decent price. Not sure where people are ordering them.

Latest GBA purchases!
I've wanted Aladdin for ages, but it's been going for pretty high prices. Finally found a cheap copy. These are all genuine carts as far as I can see - I usually e-mail the seller beforehand to check. A lot of sellers have wised up to the amount of fakes on eBay, and I've noticed quite a few now go out of their way to state they're selling genuine carts (e.g. in auction listing)

Two of the Spyro games game with boxes and instructions, but I'm not bothered about those. I stopped bothering about instructions and carts for GB/C/A games years ago.

I think I need Spyro Season of Flame now. Missing any other Spyro games? I didn't even know there's a Spyro Adventure, until I came across this auction for three Spyro games. Got a bargain for all three together, £8.99!

Mzo

Finished Dragon Warrior II. It was way longer and far more complex than I anticipated. I really liked it! Hargon's Castle illusion was done really well.

Popped in Dragon Warrior III and the personality quiz was way harsh.

Finished Dragon Warrior II. It was way longer and far more complex than I anticipated. I really liked it! Hargon's Castle illusion was done really well.

Popped in Dragon Warrior III and the personality quiz was way harsh.
Dragon warrior III is pretty nice. I really like the in battle animations by the enemies.

entremet

GBA is really fun to collect for, but man so many counterfeits :(

My current collection is

FFVa
FFVIa
Yoshi's Island
Rhythm Tengoku
Pokemon Emerald

All CIB.

illadelph

I've been playing Link's Awakening DX on my GBC, and after a while the system will reset itself back to the Game Boy logo. Anyone know how to go about cleaning the GBC or fixing this issue? I know it's not the game cartridge, as it works flawlessly on the Super Game Boy.

Top Bottom