• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GB/GBC/GBA Collecting Thread

Isnt the GBP supposed to have one of the nicest screens among the GB line? I'd be willing to give this a shot. Never owned a GBP.

Also he has dreamy eyes

Just finished watching. Fantastic video. This seems really painless, honestly. Might give it a go next time I have some spare cash and I'm bored.

I'm really tempted to do that mod. I've got a japanese GBP that has the creme color with red buttons that looks like the original DMG model. I'm just scared of soldiering in general.

psylah

I'm really tempted to do that mod. I've got a japanese GBP that has the creme color with red buttons that looks like the original DMG model. I'm just scared of soldiering in general.

Those are pretty valuable, I'd hold on to that one and practice on a more common model if it's your only unit.

Peagles

Like a famitsu one?

Not sure, looked like this sort of in the pic. I'm away at the moment but I should have my hands on it when I return home on the weekend.

gbpiceclear_zpst6eynqu4.gif

Rehosted, hope that works...

Not sure, looked like this sort of in the pic. I'm away at the moment but I should have my hands on it when I return home on the weekend.

gbpiceclear.gif

Dunno why this image is broken, but yeah looks like the color I think of as the famitsu one, though it might have been released outside of that.

Oh, it's fixed now... spooky. And.... I refreshed and it's broken again. Welp.

prateeko

So awesome.

RIP "Just what I needed!" in SMW

I may leave that one. But mainly I wanted the Zelda one because my stupid Wii U deleted my saves when I moved and I figured I'd restart ALttP on GBA so I can play it wherever (admission of guilt: I had never played ALttP despite owning a copy since the end of the SNES era) but the voices were too annoying...

Money Idol Exchanger is a great Neo Geo game.

Good job the PS1 port is available on PSN.

There was also a port for the Game Boy.

What? You say, Yes! I say and it's Rad!

93Fcny0.jpg

Totally addicting, my fave puzzler on the GB right now.

Money Idol Exchanger is a great Neo Geo game.

Good job the PS1 port is available on PSN.

There was also a port for the Game Boy.

What? You say, Yes! I say and it's Rad!

http://i.imgur.com/93Fcny0.jpg?1 [ /img]

Totally addicting, my fave puzzler on the GB right now.[/QUOTE]

I think I've seen this around. Didn't know it was actually enjoyable, though. Might pick it up some time.

Waveset

Pokemon Red: Board should have DMG-KFDN-10 + CR2025 printed on it and the rom chip should have DMG-APA?-? printed on it.........
Where do you get this info from?
I should be receiving Spud's Adventure soon and I'm a bit suspicious about it due to the price. I'd like to be able to authenticate it either by looking it up somewhere or maybe post some pics here?

Where do you get this info from?
I should be receiving Spud's Adventure soon and I'm a bit suspicious about it due to the price. I'd like to be able to authenticate it either by looking it up somewhere or maybe post some pics here?

Pokemon boards are special so I doubt that game would have any of that.

Best thing you can do to authenticate GB games it just open them up. You'll know by looking at the board, really. Nearly every pirate board I've heard of use glob tops or DIP to SIMD/TSOP adapters rather than real DIP chips for ROMs.

Would it be against GAF TOS to post old magazine ad scans / old scans in general?

Should probably just PM a mod. It's kind of an odd issue, since the magazines are no longer for sale. Given that discussion of old ROM distribution is banned, though, I'm not sure.

Hello.

Can anyone recommend a decent, easy-to-get-hold of flash cart for GBA? If so, where's a good place to buy from?

Ideally one that may work with on Max OSX (though this isn't a requirement, as I do have Windows also). Also hopefully one that just allows me to drag and drop. I now have most of the colour-patched Mario Advance games, and want to play them on my GBA SP.

Thanks.

John Blade

Hello.

Can anyone recommend a decent, easy-to-get-hold of flash cart for GBA? If so, where's a good place to buy from?

Ideally one that may work with on Max OSX (though this isn't a requirement, as I do have Windows also). Also hopefully one that just allows me to drag and drop. I now have most of the colour-patched Mario Advance games, and want to play them on my GBA SP.

Thanks.

Is been a while since as I do own few GBA flash cart but the one you can get as of now is the EZ Flash IV or EZ Flash V. I can't say much about EZ Flash V as I don't own it but I do own EZ Flash IV 2nd version which is actually fine and work well for most GBA games. Note: some games that is 32bits like Mother 3 for the GBA or Kingdom Heart, won't work on it as I did try on it. As for the rest, they're working fine with minor slow down for certain games.

I heard they is a 3rd version of EZ Flash IV and from what I heard you can now use Micro SD card on it which is useful as the older one use miniSD. I won't post a link unless the mod say I could but you can find them online if you type EZ Flash IV and they should some US site sell them. Price range around 45 dollars give or take.

Hello.

Thanks.

EZ-Flash IV is still the go-to. There's a newer model with microsd, but I got mine from realhotstuff.hk a while back, and it seems like this one still has mini-sd so you may want to look elsewhere. You also need to use a windows only client to patch saving on all ROMs before transferring to an SD-card; there could be a non-official OS X client but I'm not aware of it.

You also might want to consider waiting for krikzz to finish off his GBA everdrive, but who knows when that will be ready.

Note: some games that is 32bits like Mother 3 for the GBA or Kingdom Heart, won't work on it as I did try on it.

They work if you copy them to the NOR memory, since they're too large to fit in RAM.

I've also not noticed any slowdown on mine.

Is they a step to do it as I am interested in it.

You have to select it in the menu on the GBA and hit the select button. There's a limit to the amount you can have in NOR (32mb I think) but a) it supports larger games like Mother 3 and b) you can put more than one smaller game in and it'll load up way faster.

I think some units have defects and the NOR doesn't work properly so... be careful I guess.

Thanks for the response, guys. Hopefully the GBA Everdrive comes along soon. I want to avoid all this patching funny business.

The patching really isn't bad. It's tedious when you're adding a bunch of games at once, but honestly if you just add games over time as you play them, it's pretty insignificant. The EZFIV is definitely the way to go, too, as the GBA everdrive is not guarantee and almost certainly won't be up for sale any time soon even if it does materialize.

One thing to note is that the new EZFIV's only real difference is a different colored shell (I've heard conflicting reports of improvements in quality of said shell) and in a spring loaded miniSD slot. You'll find people saying that the old ones don't take higher capacity (SDHC) memory, but this isn't the case. This misconception came from the fact that the new firmware(s) that come default on the new EZFIV and which were released along side it allow for SDHC. It can be installed on older models without issue, though.

Oh, and regarding NOR... It's pretty painless to set up assuming everything works, but some firmwares will work better with different hardware (anything made past like 2012 is the same and works well, iirc), and some micro->miniSD adapters seem more reliable than others. Also what Sheepy said about some defective NOR is true, AFAIK, but pretty infrequent.

Sakujou

Banned
GBAd02.jpg

handy game machine.

never heard this term.

sad, that it died.

oh and the ad... the kid on the right... why cant we see his face...?

zatara

I'm sure it's been asked already numerous times but besides eBay and amazon are there any places to buy a legit gba sp?

daydream

Banned
Head is tilted down at the screen and obscured by shadow under the brim of the hat. You can only see the highlight of his nose which is ostensibly poking out from under the brim.

another old print ad, this time for GBC:

i love this one, would make for an awesome poster

The entire GBA line is kind of disappointing if you're picky.

Original GBA has a nice form factor and is very comfortable but the screen is very dark, even as far as reflective TFT goes, and its exposed which means it can get scratched very easily. Modding a backlit screen into the original helps things but the AGS-101 screen is very ghosty -- in good light I kinda prefer the non-backlit screen. Also changing the screen protector to glass is a must IMO.

SP 001 has the same screen as the original GBA but with a row of LEDs and a membrane in front to light it up. You can play non-lit or with some lighting but its pretty uneven and looks kinda crummy. The SP is also not very comfortable (even worse than DS/3DS just for being so small), does not have a headphone jack (you need an adapter), and uses non-standard batteries for which its hard to find working ones except knockoffs on ebay.

SP 101 is the same as 001 but with the backlit screen, which as before is pretty ghosty -- its fine for the most part but can be annoying in fast motion. This is your best stock hardware but it's still not without a bunch of problems.

The Micro has a better screen but the screen is really small, like honestly kinda way too unreasonably small. Some people like this model mostly due to the high DPI but I am very much not one of them. It also has a different link cable jack which requires different cables or adapters, doesn't work with the GC-GBA link cable (at least without effort), and is not compatible with GB/GBC games.

Then there's the GB Player, which has serious latency issues and a weird stutter.

You could also play GBA games on DS / DS-lite but there you don't get access to the link cable or wireless adapter and the buttons are somewhat awkwardly mapped to A/B rather than B/Y. The screen on the DS-lite is fairly nice at least.

Just thought I'd quote this old post to note that because of my frustrations with GB/GBA hardware, since this post my home setup for GB/GBA has evolved into GameBoy Player + GameCube with GameBoy Interface homebrew (via SD Media Launcher) hooked up via component cables to a Framemeister with a hand made SNES to GameCube controller adapter with custom AVR assembly code to remap the buttons to make more sense for GBA (face buttons rotated clockwise).

The struggle for the perfect GameBoy setup, complete.

Just thought I'd quote this old post to note that because of my frustrations with GB/GBA hardware, since this post my home setup for GB/GBA has evolved into GameBoy Player + GameCube with GameBoy Interface homebrew (via SD Media Launcher) hooked up via component cables to a Framemeister with a hand made SNES to GameCube controller adapter with custom AVR assembly code to remap the buttons to make more sense for GBA (face buttons rotated clockwise).

The struggle for the perfect GameBoy setup, complete.
Wow. Any pictures to share of games on your setup?

GBI is great. Re: Framemeister, I'm #TeamCRT for life though.

GBI totally redeems the GameBoy Player. Without it, GBP is super disappointing.

A CRT would be best for picture but weight, heat, squeal, flicker, and power use all make me not want to reintroduce one to my life.

Wow. Any pictures to share of games on your setup?

Best I can do is photos of my TV, so please understand:

They're a bit dark, I put the exposure way down due to... photo of TV. At least the simulated scanlines look nice.

Bonus shot of the test setup for my controller adapter:

Top Bottom