• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GB/GBC/GBA Collecting Thread

Peltz

Huh! What's the easiest way to play it if I have an unmodified Gamecube and no SD-loading memory cards or whatever?

By the way, you can get an SD loading card from the UK codejunkies website. Even though it's a UK website, I ordered from them and got an NTSC/North American Disc that works on my Gamecube. AFAIK, the SD loader is out of stock on the American website so you might want to gobble this up.

GBI is literally the only thing I use with it, but GBI is worth the price of the hardware by itself. You have no idea just how sharp GBC and GBA games are on this. And as far as I know, it's the only way to play GBA and GBC games without any input lag on a large set.

Seeing how great such games are on my PVM really makes me want to invest in a way to play DS and 3DS games on my PVM as well.

In summary: GBI + GCN Component cables = heaven.

leroidys

Picked up Warioland 4 on the Wii U VC. Man, that game is even better than I remember. Really makes me wish we could get some GBA remasters with decent sound though. It's probably my favorite handheld ever, but the sound is a travesty in most games.

Picked up Warioland 4 on the Wii U VC. Man, that game is even better than I remember. Really makes me wish we could get some GBA remasters with decent sound though. It's probably my favorite handheld ever, but the sound is a travesty in most games.
Nice purchase! I really enjoyed Warioland 4. I've yet to buy any GBA games on Wii U, can't imagine playing them blown op on a HDTV or even on the big gamepad.

My latest purchase arrived:

Asterix%202%20in%201_GBA_zpsr1yaswru.jpg

I was looking for Asterix and Obelix: Bash'em All, which was recommended in Yoshi's Handheld Platformers thread (great thread). If you haven't visited it yet, it's at the link below:

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1104596

I couldn't find the single game and eventually came across this 2-in-1 on eBay. It's a French release but has English language. I'm a big Asterix fan (have most of the comics), so had to get this. It was pretty pricey for a GBA game (£20), but at least I got an authentic game, and a 2-in-1! I'm not sure if Bash'em All ever saw a UK release.

Olly88

I recently bought, and have been playing quite a bit...

It's fun! I haven't played many (any?) other pinball games much before, but I'm enjoying this one. I'm not very good at timing the "Press A" when you fall down the bottom yet which is a bit annoying, but hopefully I'll improve with that the more I play.

Morfeo

The Chuck Norris of Peace

Yeah, this game is freaking amazing, one of the best 2D-plattformers of all time imo. Not without reason some dude wrote a 600-page book on it.

My copy of Donkey Kong Land 2 arrived!
...in very good condition. It looks authentic (comes with instructions and promotional poster, but the boxart has a typo on the back. It says 'ranson' instead of 'ransom'. Anyone else have this game and can check theirs?

I'm not sure why I'm even bothered, I end up throwing out the box anyway. I'm a cart-only GB/C/A collector.

My copy of Donkey Kong Land 2 arrived!...in very good condition. It looks authentic (comes with instructions and promotional poster, but the boxart has a typo on the back. It says 'ranson' instead of 'ransom'. Anyone else have this game and can check theirs?

I'm not sure why I'm even bothered, I end up throwing out the box anyway. I'm a cart-only GB/C/A collector.

That looks like it's probably a fake. Here's what the real box appears to look like:

donkey_kong_land2.jpg

I'm definitely not an expert on the state of Donkey Kong Land 2 fakes though...

That looks like it's probably a fake. Here's what the real box appears to look like:

donkey_kong_land2.jpg

I'm definitely not an expert on the state of Donkey Kong Land 2 fakes though...
Hmmm...it may be that the one you posted is the North American boxart. Mine is PAL. I even have the yellow cart. I'm pretty sure the one I have is 100% authentic.

My copy of Donkey Kong Land 2 arrived!...in very good condition. It looks authentic (comes with instructions and promotional poster, but the boxart has a typo on the back. It says 'ranson' instead of 'ransom'. Anyone else have this game and can check theirs?

Says ranson on the covers on MobyGames as well:

UK
http://www.mobygames.com/game/donkey-kong-land-2/cover-art/gameCoverId,172269/ <- This one you got I guess. Same front cover.

US
http://www.mobygames.com/game/donkey-kong-land-2/cover-art/gameCoverId,69596/

AUS
http://www.mobygames.com/game/donkey-kong-land-2/cover-art/gameCoverId,57951/

Teknoman

Why would you buy it complete but throw out the box? Wouldnt it have been cheaper to just grab the cart?

Why would you buy it complete but throw out the box? Wouldnt it have been cheaper to just grab the cart?
Oh, it was super-cheap and the cart/case (which I'm most interested in) were in very good condition.

Or at least offer it to someone for the price of postage, anything but commit the sin of throwing a box away.

Yeah, send it to somebody who wants it. DO NOT THROW IT AWAY!
Alright.

Somebody like me.
Where are you based? Happy to post it to you if you'll cover postage and packaging cost.

Sweet, glad to be proven wrong.

Wonder why they decided to go with such different logos for the game titles though? That's what really had me convinced, since the UK version just looks....well, fake.

I'm a cart only Game Boy collector also. I have mild regrets about it, but I had to throw away my boxes and manuals recently. I didn't think it was worth packing up for the move.

I'm a cart only Game Boy collector also. I have mild regrets about it, but I had to throw away my boxes and manuals recently. I didn't think it was worth packing up for the move.
I threw mine out years ago. If I hadn't, I think I'd still be collecting CIB games. It's pretty hard to find some CIB games these days though.

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
I'm so disappointed and mad at Amazon right now. Or rather I'm mad at the company that I purchased a GameBoy Micro adapter from.

I ordered a Micro adapter off Amazon and it's sold by a company called GEN. No big deal. It is less than $4. I'll have it shipped with my new hard drive. It arrives today. There's no packing slip in the box at all and the adapter comes without a box in an unmarked plastic bag with only a UPC code on a sticker.

So I am all excited. I'm gonna play soooo much Mario on my GBM. I take it out of the package. Gather up my games and find my GameBoy. And I go to plug it in and...

It's NOT A GAMEBOY MICRO ADAPTER.

Examining it I notice it does say Nintendo on the end of the cable (Not the wall box) so it is for Nintendo, but I have no idea what system it's for. So I check GEN's Amazon store page and I see it right there on the list. It's a fucking 3DS/DSi adapter.

Now the problem is I want to return it and just get a refund but it'll probably cost more to ship it back to Amazon than it cost to purchase. I bundled it with a hard drive just to not pay $10 shipping for a $4 piece of equipment.

I'm so disappointed. Wasn't a good way to end a day where I break up with my girlfriend. Thanks, GEN. Maybe if you fucking label your bags you'd send me the right fucking item!

And I don't know why there wasn't a packing slip. I don't even know whether to bother shipping it back. Would Amazon even send me a slip for it? I'd spend more on a padded envelope so why bother? Maybe I'll just send a disappointed letter to Amazon about it. I've never had problems with them before.

Sorry to rant in here. But I'm just heartbroken. I'll have better luck finding the adapter I lost.

Craft

I'm so disappointed and mad at Amazon right now. Or rather I'm mad at the company that I purchased a GameBoy Micro adapter from.

I ordered a Micro adapter off Amazon and it's sold by a company called GEN. No big deal. It is less than $4. I'll have it shipped with my new hard drive. It arrives today. There's no packing slip in the box at all and the adapter comes without a box in an unmarked plastic bag with only a UPC code on a sticker.

So I am all excited. I'm gonna play soooo much Mario on my GBM. I take it out of the package. Gather up my games and find my GameBoy. And I go to plug it in and...

It's NOT A GAMEBOY MICRO ADAPTER.

Examining it I notice it does say Nintendo on the end of the cable (Not the wall box) so it is for Nintendo, but I have no idea what system it's for. So I check GEN's Amazon store page and I see it right there on the list. It's a fucking 3DS/DSi adapter.

Now the problem is I want to return it and just get a refund but it'll probably cost more to ship it back to Amazon than it cost to purchase. I bundled it with a hard drive just to not pay $10 shipping for a $4 piece of equipment.

I'm so disappointed. Wasn't a good way to end a day where I break up with my girlfriend. Thanks, GEN. Maybe if you fucking label your bags you'd send me the right fucking item!

And I don't know why there wasn't a packing slip. I don't even know whether to bother shipping it back. Would Amazon even send me a slip for it? I'd spend more on a padded envelope so why bother? Maybe I'll just send a disappointed letter to Amazon about it. I've never had problems with them before.

Sorry to rant in here. But I'm just heartbroken. I'll have better luck finding the adapter I lost.

Have you contacted Amazon about it? It's their fault the item was listed incorrectly they will likely just refund you and let you keep the item.
If not whenever I've needed to return something they have given me a postage label to print off so the shipping is free, and you must have a old padded envelope that you can reuse around somewhere...
(I'm from the UK so Amazon's process may be different in America)

Is that a port of the arcade game? I have the pcb and the animation is gorgeous.
Hello. I had to look up YouTube for some help on this game. I think Asterix & Obelix IS a port of the SNES game, except they've split the SNES game into two games on this cart: Asterix & Obelix and Asterix & Cleopatra. I have a feeling they've just split levels from the original into both of these. So I didn't really get three games in one. Asterix & Obelix and Asterix & Cleopatra are really just one game, and XXL is the other.

Borman

Yep, same engine as Links Awakening but battling isn't the same. It took me like 6 or 7 hours including the time i got lost? Something like that.

Found an OG purple GBC at Saver's tonight, priced at $14.99. I could have gotten it for half that because a friend works there and offered to let me use his employee discount but the screen was scratched and scuffed up too much plus there was something rattling on the inside so I decided to pass.

Found an OG purple GBC at Saver's tonight, priced at $14.99. I could have gotten it for half that because a friend works there and offered to let me use his employee discount but the screen was scratched and scuffed up too much plus there was something rattling on the inside so I decided to pass.

the rattling is questionable, but unless it's the actual screen itself scratched (as opposed to the lens, which is far more obvious), that's a damn good deal.

psylah

Found another AGS-101 last weekend, $15. My third this year. Check every SP you see, never pass one up. A lot of these second-hand stores don't know the difference.

My mom found my GB Micro that I thought I lost so that was cool. I'll get that later this month.

Also should be getting Mega Man and Bass from the mail soon... Will give that game a fair chance, but I think it might be too hard for me.

Actually the game just arrived so I'm going to fire it up in my DS.

Craft

Found another AGS-101 last weekend, $15. My third this year. Check every SP you see, never pass one up. A lot of these second-hand stores don't know the difference.

That's awesome! unfortunately the AGS-101 was never released in England so the chances of me stumbling across one in the wild is pretty low but that doesn't stop me from checking every system I see!

That's awesome! unfortunately the AGS-101 was never released in England so the chances of me stumbling across one in the wild is pretty low but that doesn't stop me from checking every system I see!
Have a look on eBay.com and even on the UK site. There was a seller (may still be around) from Turkey that was selling 101 systems. Bit pricey though, around £100. Well worth it, IMO.

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
Have you contacted Amazon about it? It's their fault the item was listed incorrectly they will likely just refund you and let you keep the item.
If not whenever I've needed to return something they have given me a postage label to print off so the shipping is free, and you must have a old padded envelope that you can reuse around somewhere...
(I'm from the UK so Amazon's process may be different in America)
The item was listed correctly. The company the order came from grabbed the wrong item. They have all the adapters listed but they sent me an unboxed 3DS one instead of the boxed GBM adapter I wanted and have successfully ordered before.

I haven't contacted Amazon yet because I can't figure out how to just talk to them via text. And I don't know if they will send me a box/envelope to send it back in free of charge because there's no point in spending money to send back a $4 item when it'll probably cost more for the packing materials.

The box also came with no slip at all so I don't even have a receipt for the two items I ordered.

Worst Amazon experience ever. Though I never have a problem with them. I don't know how it went wrong this time.

the rattling is questionable, but unless it's the actual screen itself scratched (as opposed to the lens, which is far more obvious), that's a damn good deal.

I assume by "lens" you mean the screen's overlay? Either way unfortunately it wasn't worth the trouble for me, I have my backlit modded GBA 001 which takes a lot of the thunder out of it. I'm still waiting to find a "holy grail" item at a thrift store like a near mint GB Micro.

I assume by "lens" you mean the screen's overlay? Either way unfortunately it wasn't worth the trouble for me, I have my backlit modded GBA 001 which takes a lot of the thunder out of it. I'm still waiting to find a "holy grail" item at a thrift store like a near mint GB Micro.

the lens is this:

And yeah, sounds like it wasn't the purchase for you, which is reasonable.

Highwind

Hi GBGAF.

I am kinda stuck on what to do.

I am really considering buying other copies of Pokemon Crystal and Emerald so I can "upgrade" my current ones and I don't know if it's worth it right now.

Here are the conditions of the ones I have right now:

They are not dirty but the labels on these are worn. These are the only games I just want to swap the contents so they look in better condition. Dunno how they got like that as I don't really take them out and are in storage, but I don't want them to get so bad that I can't make out the details.

Emerald isn't so bad but I don't know what the hell happened with Crystal. Even my original BW Zelda is in better condition. The issue I am finding now is finding a reasonable price for Crystal. It gotten really expensive though I can wait till a good deal appears (and looking at completed listings, it seems like they pop up regularly).

It's really hard to find legit, non-bootleg copies of Pokemon games on the internet. Especially the GBA ones. If you're doing it in person there are good ways to tell but it'd likely be quite the hassle if you're trying via ebay.

If you're just looking for something for display, Japanese Pokemon Crystal & Emerald CIB are both available for pretty reasonable prices and CIB is way less likely to be bootleg.

Top Bottom