• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GB/GBC/GBA Collecting Thread

Well Mr Parish has uploaded a new gameboy game showcase. This time Ayakashi no Shiro. So awesome seeing the dungeon crawlers on the system. I was surprised to learn how uncommon they are. There's wizardry and a few obscure one like the one in the parish video, but otherwise I don't actually know of any.

SKINNER!

Banned
Probably already mentioned but I'm curious to know what GB GAF thinks. Since I've grown up with the Gameboy, I've seen numerous bootlegs kicking around and as the generation continued with Color and Advance, the bootlegs just got better and more convincing. I'm currently looking for Metal Gear Solid for the GBC and the number of bootlegs I've come across on ebay; goodness me! It's shocking. At least with console games, there's noticeable signs that the game is fake and - I'm presuming - that bootlegs aren't as widespread but - for me anyway - I can't tell with a GB game until I have the item up close in my hands. I learned this after coming across bootleg Gameboy Advance games during the mid 2000s that I was convinced were originals. I'm keeping an eye out for CIB copies of MGS but I'm weary about dropping cash for a bootleg that's being passed off as an original (sometimes unintentionally by the seller). I've noticed a few fake GB titles with the wrong cartridge color/shape or with an RP rating on the box but sometimes they come with convincing box art/manuals etc.

For the buyers/collectors out there, how do you distinguish fakes from real games when you buy them off ebay? is there a fool-proof way for you guys when it comes to buying GB games off ebay or is it mostly a risk game?

Cheers in advance.

EDIT: Reading this thread more made me realise it's a widespread issue. Yikes :(

ToastyFrog

Inexplicable Treasure Hate
Well Mr Parish has uploaded a new gameboy game showcase. This time Ayakashi no Shiro. So awesome seeing the dungeon crawlers on the system. I was surprised to learn how uncommon they are. There's wizardry and a few obscure one like the one in the parish video, but otherwise I don't actually know of any.

Yeah, somehow I totally missed the Wizardry games as I was researching this episode—I spent some time hunting down FPRPGs for Game Boy to be sure I didn't overlook any and totally brainfarted on Wizardry Gaiden I-III. I blame the fact that I was mostly researching Japanese on websites.

I hope someone fan translates Ayakashi no Shiro eventually. It's pretty standard in terms of play, but the feudal Japanese theme makes it quite unique in style.

Yeah, somehow I totally missed the Wizardry games as I was researching this episode—I spent some time hunting down FPRPGs for Game Boy to be sure I didn't overlook any and totally brainfarted on Wizardry Gaiden I-III. I blame the fact that I was mostly researching Japanese on websites.

I hope someone fan translates Ayakashi no Shiro eventually. It's pretty standard in terms of play, but the feudal Japanese theme makes it quite unique in style.
I'd definitely play it if someone weakened the barrier to entry. The setting really appeals.

DontBlink

Probably already mentioned but I'm curious to know what GB GAF thinks. Since I've grown up with the Gameboy, I've seen numerous bootlegs kicking around and as the generation continued with Color and Advance, the bootlegs just got better and more convincing. I'm currently looking for Metal Gear Solid for the GBC and the number of bootlegs I've come across on ebay; goodness me! It's shocking. At least with console games, there's noticeable signs that the game is fake and - I'm presuming - that bootlegs aren't as widespread but - for me anyway - I can't tell with a GB game until I have the item up close in my hands. I learned this after coming across bootleg Gameboy Advance games during the mid 2000s that I was convinced were originals. I'm keeping an eye out for CIB copies of MGS but I'm weary about dropping cash for a bootleg that's being passed off as an original (sometimes unintentionally by the seller). I've noticed a few fake GB titles with the wrong cartridge color/shape or with an RP rating on the box but sometimes they come with convincing box art/manuals etc.

For the buyers/collectors out there, how do you distinguish fakes from real games when you buy them off ebay? is there a fool-proof way for you guys when it comes to buying GB games off ebay or is it mostly a risk game?

Cheers in advance.

EDIT: Reading this thread more made me realise it's a widespread issues. Yikes :(

There is no real fool-proof way, simply because you are buying over the internet and are not able to inspect the item in hand.

I must've bough 100s of Game Boy games on eBay now and only encountered a couple of fakes (which I got a full refund for). I only stick to CIB copies, which helps weed out some of the usual suspects. Besides carefully inspecting the pictures, assuming there are any, because otherwise it's a no no, there's checking the seller feedback history to see if they have sold any games in the past and what their feedback was.

Definitely check what other items they are selling. If you find one bootleg, it's probably a good idea to pass on all of their items. They might not be aware of selling fakes, but either way there's no need to deal with someone who might not be knowledgeable enough.

Other than that, just be patient, don't jump on any deal that seems too good to be true and good luck :)

Google knows how to deliver ads

4OP6jC9h.jpg
You're probably being retargeted. Did you visit that product page, or something similar recently?

NOLA_Gaffer

Banned
Any reputable places to buy refurbished and/or backlit modded Game Boy hardware?

I'm thinking probably a Game Boy Color, or even a Game Boy Pocket if the price significantly lower.

I had two old Pockets and a Color that were given to me by my brother in law a few years back but I ended up passing them on to folks online. I still have an original Game Boy that's in decent shape (Just a mildly scratched screen cover.) but I've been thinking of amassing a small Game Boy cartridge collection.

While I'm here, if I wanted to nab a Super Game Boy, should I go for the SGB or the SGB2?

D.Lo

You can't backlight a color, only frontlight. Backlight is waaaaaaay better too.

I run a backlit original brick. I love it! I Use the backlit SP for Color games.

SGB2 is much better.

I have a frontlit GBC using what I believe to be the best technique. I posted pictures a while back. It's very playable however mine has become slightly unbonded in a corner which is a huge bummer. If you're interested look for someone named 8bit kingdom over on the game boy subreddit.

You can't backlight a color, only frontlight. Backlight is waaaaaaay better too.

I run a backlit original brick. I love it! I Use the backlit SP for Color games.

SGB2 is much better.
Oh, it's possible to backlight the OG? I thought it was only possible to mod a frontlight on these.

Is there really no option for a backlit Color? I feel like that would be the best option.

not just yet. There's at least 1 prototype, but nothing of substance just yet. I agree that's the best solution and I'll be buying one if they ever come to fruition, but until such a time, you're best off with a frontlit GBC, backlit pocket/dmg, or some lit GBA model.

Akiraptor

Currently looking for my copy of Hamtaro: Ham-Ham Heartbreak. It was one of my favorite GBA games, despite the silly sounding name.

Thought about just buying another copy from GameStop or something, but I doubt they carry GBA games at decent prices nowadays. Cheapest I've seen online are $20.

Currently looking for my copy of Hamtaro: Ham-Ham Heartbreak. It was one of my favorite GBA games, despite the silly sounding name.

Thought about just buying another copy from GameStop or something, but I doubt they carry GBA games at decent prices nowadays. Cheapest I've seen online are $20.
I haven't looked at heartbreak since I have a copy, but you might be interested in Unite, which played pretty similarly on the GBC. CIB can be found for 10$

I have a LED backlit DMG and that thing looks amazing, playing all my old games is like playing them new again, but this time they look stunning. Best thing about the one I had done was that it uses a green coloured LED. I like the green look better than the white and it gives it that extra edge.

I also have a frontlit GB color, I had it done by someone who knew what they were doing but its pretty piss poor and I wish I hadn't bothered getting it done. If you really want a decent GB Color, get one of the those clone GB Boy Colour jobbies, theyre not perfect, but you will get a better looking screen than you will on a modded frontlit GB Color.

I'm struggling to find a decent GB Color game, is there anything out there worth owning?

Grief.exe

Was checking ebay for some games, then I remembered GBA fakes. Now I'm like an inch from my monitor

My first thought was it was a fake due to the lack of reflection on the label, compare to this entry.

You're probably being retargeted. Did you visit that product page, or something similar recently?

That would be it, I actually looked at that page earlier in that day.

cMJDh9q.jpg

Good finds today! They were ~$10cad each

4MbgO18.gif

TBH the best thing with GameBoy / GameBoy Color is to just settle for a non-backlit one. You get used to having to get the right angle of light. IMO it's just part of the look for GBC, part of the experience as well -- Oracle of Ages or Dragon Warrior III don't look quite right on my backlit AGB-001 or GBPlayer.

I also really don't like the way the bivert screen looks. Seems very unnatural to me. I get that it improves contrast but something just seems wrong.

Was checking ebay for some games, then I remembered GBA fakes. Now I'm like an inch from my monitor

Label looks fake.

I don't know that I would have the stomach to buy another GBA Pokemon game on ebay. Too stressful.

I have a LED backlit DMG and that thing looks amazing, playing all my old games is like playing them new again, but this time they look stunning. Best thing about the one I had done was that it uses a green coloured LED. I like the green look better than the white and it gives it that extra edge.

I also have a frontlit GB color, I had it done by someone who knew what they were doing but its pretty piss poor and I wish I hadn't bothered getting it done. If you really want a decent GB Color, get one of the those clone GB Boy Colour jobbies, theyre not perfect, but you will get a better looking screen than you will on a modded frontlit GB Color.

I'm struggling to find a decent GB Color game, is there anything out there worth owning?
Scooby Doo <3

How did I miss this? Yeah there's a ton, IMO more than DMG:

Dragon Warrior 1+2
Dragon Warrior 3
Dragon Warrior Monsters
Dragon Warrior Monsters 2
Ganbare Goemon
Kirby's Tilt & Tumble
Metal Gear: Ghost Babel
Pokemon Gold/Silver/Crystal
Pokemon Puzzle League
Puyo Puyo~n
Shantae
Wario Land 2
Wario Land 3
Zelda DX
Zelda Oracle of Ages
Zelda Oracle of Seasons

They're kinda weird remixes of the SNES games but I think Megaman Xtreme 1+2 are also neat. The port of DKC is also impressive.

Teknoman

I stopped playing Fire Emblem Awakening a while ago, so i've kinda forgotten what I was doing. Thinking its the perfect time to just fall back and play the first one that made it to North America (honestly i've never played any FE except abit of Awakening, but I liked what I played). That being said...i'm going to be sitting around waiting for Jury Duty tomorrow, and kinda want to take a Persona Q break (even though i'm right around the corner from finishing that lol).

Long story short, I cant decide if I want to start playing Advance Wars 1 or Fire Emblem while i'm sitting around in a court room.

I've been wanting to get something to play my gba games on that is better than my ags-001 I've got now. Should I stay away from the refurb 101 models on ebay?

These are what I'm looking at right now:
- OG Gameboy Advance refurb with ags101 screen $140
- GBA SP refurb with ags101 screen $90
- Revo k101 plus $70

I'm leaning towards the revo k101 since it is so cheap and I can dump the roms from my cartridges and not worry about batteries and carrying all my games around with me. I've also read that the revo can emulate GB/GBC which would be a plus, as I've got tons of GB/GBC cartridges.

Teknoman

Are official gba sp headphone adapters that hard to find? Sick of getting burned by third party junk... Maybe the GAF b/s/t thread, unless anyone has a spare here?

I've been wanting to get something to play my gba games on that is better than my ags-001 I've got now. Should I stay away from the refurb 101 models on ebay?

These are what I'm looking at right now:
- OG Gameboy Advance refurb with ags101 screen $140
- GBA SP refurb with ags101 screen $90
- Revo k101 plus $70

I'm leaning towards the revo k101 since it is so cheap and I can dump the roms from my cartridges and not worry about batteries and carrying all my games around with me. I've also read that the revo can emulate GB/GBC which would be a plus, as I've got tons of GB/GBC cartridges.
Revo emulated gb/c with the same success as any gba. It uses Goomba, same as anything else.

Are official gba sp headphone adapters that hard to find? Sick of getting burned by third party junk... Maybe the GAF b/s/t thread, unless anyone has a spare here?

I'm going to mod mine with a headphone jack one of these days. I'll take some pics when I do. Fuck those stupid adapters.

Thank you for the info. My main question was about my three options I had to buy.

I don't think any of them are perfect. Clone hardware is always problematic, especially this one with it's fucked up scaling options. The 101 screen isn't great, like it looks nice for still images but it's pricy for what it is.

Do you play mostly at home? If you have a GameCube, a GBPlayer on ebay (without software disc) + SD Media Launcher (still available from the UK site, ships internationally with the correct region disc) for use with GBI is pretty cheap and is seriously the best option available. You just lose the whole portable aspect, but if you already have an AGB-001 that's kinda best for outside play anyway.

If you want a flashcard, pair with an EZFlash IV or wait for the GBA Everdrive.

I'm still of the mind that for any remotely fast game, the frontlit SP is hardly a downgrade.

Again, doesn't really help answer the question. I'd just get the one you like the form factor of most, honestly. For handhelds form factor is paramount.

I don't think any of them are perfect. Clone hardware is always problematic, especially this one with it's fucked up scaling options. The 101 screen isn't great, like it looks nice for still images but it's pricy for what it is.

Do you play mostly at home? If you have a GameCube, a GBPlayer on ebay (without software disc) + SD Media Launcher (still available from the UK site, ships internationally with the correct region disc) for use with GBI is pretty cheap and is seriously the best option available. You just lose the whole portable aspect, but if you already have an AGB-001 that's kinda best for outside play anyway.

If you want a flashcard, pair with an EZFlash IV or wait for the GBA Everdrive.

I've got an EZFlash IV that I use with my ags-001 SP. I would rather it be portable, as most of my playing is not at home.

leroidys

How's the Capcom compilation?

It's pretty good. It's a great way to get a hold of three great Capcom NES games, Mighty Final Fight, Bionic Commando, and Strider. MFF is on Wii U Virtual Console, but AFAIK this is the only way to play the other two games short of hooking up an NES or emulation.

TheMoon

It's pretty good. It's a great way to get a hold of three great Capcom NES games, Mighty Final Fight, Bionic Commando, and Strider. MFF is on Wii U Virtual Console, but AFAIK this is the only way to play the other two games short of hooking up an NES or emulation.

Yup. Bionic Commando and NES Strider never hit VC.

It's not too weird with the resolution mismatch? Is everything scaled down nearest neighbor style or is it cropped like SMB Deluxe on GBC?

Looking at prices for the game, sure beats buying the standalone NES MFF, lol.

leroidys

It's not too weird with the resolution mismatch? Is everything scaled down nearest neighbor style or is it cropped like SMB Deluxe on GBC?

Looking at prices for the game, sure beats buying the standalone NES MFF, lol.

It's kinda squished, but this beats cropped to me. Looks a hell of a lot better than my NES on my HDTV, but if you have a nice retro setup, NES versions are probably definitive.

So picked up this GBC treat off eBay the other week

Maybe the most I've spent on a GBC game not called Shantae ._.
Box is in great condition and can't wait to get into it.
Now to get the other GBC Dragon Quest games.

Top Bottom