• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GB/GBC/GBA Collecting Thread

Mega

Banned
I wanna say the best part $200 USD but to be honest I'm having trouble remembering exactly! At the time it was more than the regular mod because the custom ribbon cable is a big cost factor, but that might not seem so extreme now. Also I take forever because it's just a spare time thing for me but I won't ask for a cent until I've completed your system. I don't generally make a habit of modding for anyone but myself because I don't want to send out any substandard work but this is kind of an exception because I managed to get that ribbon cable when nobody else could.

Anyway I'll sort my schooling out over the next few weeks and will be in touch. If you don't hear from me by the end of February send me a PM to jog my memory.

Cool, I'll PM you if I don't hear from you. Good luck with your school work!

I'm not sure how much it gets into piracy, so I'll only recommend doing this if say you own the ereader cards or bought the Virutal Console release and just want a way to play it on real hardware. It's kind of like pirating DLC or Amiibos IMO.

You don't need to modify a rom at all. I'm not sure where this idea came from.

All you need is a save file with the levels loaded in. The one restriction is that there's a limit on the number of levels loaded in at once, so if you wanted to have all of them on an original cartridge you'd need to swap out save files -- you can't do all 38 at once. You can then run that on a flash cart or even use say a DS Lite with a homebrew application to load the save onto a real cartridge.

I think the appeal of the ROM is that it's not limited to a save file, so you can have your own. In theory it's less hassle.

dhonk

GkWjKFMl.jpg

GMAb4Dwl.jpg

Hey! Not sure if anyone here has any experience with this but Im attempting to backup my Gameboy Camera save. Unfortunately, if I have the flashcart plugged into the mega memory card it refuses to get past the "Gameboy" splash screen. If I flip the switch, it reads the flash cart just fine so I dont think its a connection issue. Do I need a specific rom flashed on the flashcart? Thanks!

RexRogers

Neo Member
Since the GBA backlight mod is being talked about I figured I'd throw this out there, which I put together last year. I bought two naked screens off ebay (one white and one brown connector), since I wasn't sure which version my 32-pin GBA would work best with. It turns it that the 32-pin really needs the white connector. There still isn't a lot of detailed info out there it seems, but the supply of screens also seems to have dried up. I don't have the fancy 4-way switching cable like Peagles, but this single-setting version works great for me. I only had one small problem during installation, which was when I lifted a pad off the cable when soldering with the oldest crappiest soldering iron in existence. A little scraping of the plastic over the lead let me work around that. Here's my handy work.

The two screens
DSCN0975.jpg

Bad...
DSCN0984.jpg

Good!
DSCN0985.jpg

And done.
DSCN0993.jpg

Peagles

^ Nice work!

Regarding the connectors, I'm not sure what the difference is if any, but the top image just looks like you need to adjust the pots.

RexRogers

Neo Member
^ Nice work!

Regarding the connectors, I'm not sure what the difference is if any, but the top image just looks like you need to adjust the pots.
Thanks! I think I had originally seen a post by you inspiring me to jump on this project.

As to the image quality, I don't think it was the adjustment to the pot that was the problem. I turned and cranked that thing in all directions, but from my A-B test the screen type definitely matters when it comes to the GBA mobo version. Here's the SMB3 title screen with the incorrect screen and then the correct screen.

DSCN0988.jpg

DSCN0987.jpg

Peagles

Thanks! I think I had originally seen a post by you inspiring me to jump on this project.

As to the image quality, I don't think it was the adjustment to the pot that was the problem. I turned and cranked that thing in all directions, but from my A-B test the screen type definitely matters when it comes to the GBA mobo version. Here's the SMB3 title screen with the incorrect screen and then the correct screen.

DSCN0988.jpg

DSCN0987.jpg

It's always good to see more people having a go at modding, especially at something as cool as an AGB-101, good on you!

Now that is interesting! It's something I have never come across before, though I have worked on more new screens rather than transplanting existing AGS-101 screens, so it might be unique to a transplant. I have heard the odd thing about different screen types in the AGS-101s (and I also had to get different ribbon cables depending on whether I was putting in a fresh screen or doing a transplant) but I'm not sure what the difference is, perhaps you've found it though :)

Mega

Banned
The supply of screens: where did they come from? Ripped from SPs, leftover factory stock? And why has supply dried up without any replacements?

I have seen Game Gear and Turbo Express mods with new modern LCDs. Is it not possible with GBA?

Here's the Turbo Express with two different new LCD mods:
https://youtu.be/C4DpCLM0Zpk

Peagles

The supply of screens: where did they come from? Ripped from SPs, leftover factory stock? And why has supply dried up without any replacements?

I have seen Game Gear and Turbo Express mods with new modern LCDs. Is it not possible with GBA?

You can always get them from old SPs, but there was a factory supply (produced many years ago from what I can gather) out of China that was plentiful and then dried up as the mod got more popular. My guess is that they produced a mass amount at some point, never actually produced an ongoing supply because it's a bit obscure, and the supply lasted a long time before it dried up (then the prices shot up too).

I don't believe there's a suitable modern LCD out there that has the correct resolution, but to be fair I haven't really looked.

dhonk

Hey Rex / Peagles, I recently got a 101 for that mod. How did you pull off fitting it in the casing? I know theres that fuzzy shi around the default screen. Basically how do you do that cleanly?

Playing Gradius Galaxies right now on my backlit 001, so good, I miss the Konami of the early 2000s.

WOW, I'm going to try to get in touch with this guy and see if he's still taking orders for modding TEs. But I'd have see if he can resurrect it and recap it first, my TE will turn on but the screen is blank/darkened out and no sound, U.S. TEs and Duos had bad capacitors.

Peagles

Hey Rex / Peagles, I recently got a 101 for that mod. How did you pull off fitting it in the casing? I know theres that fuzzy shi around the default screen. Basically how do you do that cleanly?

Putting it into the OG GBA I usually start from scratch and use a roll of very thin black double sided tape around the screen borders, rather than trying to reuse any old adhesive. Rex is probably the better one to ask about cleaning up a transplant screen, 99% of mine were done with brand new LCDs.

Note that you also need to trim plastic out of the OG shell if you haven't already bought a new one pre-trimmed.

dhonk

Gotcha, thanks for the info. :D Any opinion on the third party shells? Would be cheaper and easier than seeking out a good condition OEM one I suppose?

Peagles

Gotcha, thanks for the info. :D Any opinion on the third party shells? Would be cheaper and easier than seeking out a good condition OEM one I suppose?

Third party shells are pretty good but you can tell the plastic isn't quite up to the Nintendo standard. I'd give them an 8 out of 10, once they're on most people wouldn't be able to tell the difference. They're good if you want some alt colours though like red or yellow. I would use original buttons though, the ones that come with third party shells are pretty meh.

RexRogers

Neo Member

For the black padding on the back of the replacement SP screen I used a new razor blade and just glided it along underneath it came right off. Easier than I expected, really. If you're talking about the area around the bezel of the screen that sits between it and the lens, I don't quite remember what I did. At the moment I can't recall if it was padding-like or thin, but if it was on the new screen I just took it off completely in the same way. The new screen is a little fatter, so you have to save space where you can.

ETA: OK, I'm remembering more. The screen sits against the inside of the case. If you trim the excess plastic in just the right way you can place it and have it basically center itself. No adhesive is needed, since the tolerances are so tight with the new fatter screen. The two-sided tape I used for attaching the lens to the outside of the case.

RexRogers

Neo Member

From my experience, the replacement shell I bought was indistinguishable from the OEM glacier shell that came with my GBA. They were so similar in fact, that my ham hands have cracked it in the same spots. :p

Mega

Banned
You can always get them from old SPs, but there was a factory supply (produced many years ago from what I can gather) out of China that was plentiful and then dried up as the mod got more popular. My guess is that they produced a mass amount at some point, never actually produced an ongoing supply because it's a bit obscure, and the supply lasted a long time before it dried up (then the prices shot up too).

I don't believe there's a suitable modern LCD out there that has the correct resolution, but to be fair I haven't really looked.

Oh so it was an actual supply of screens, thanks. For a time I misinterpreted that to mean GBA SPs with the backlit screen were vanishing. I looked around at panels and you may be right. The closest are 3-3.5" 320x240 displays. However, the GG/Turbo LCD mods aren't the same exact res as the original screens and they still look fantastic. A determined person could probably do it but probably hasn't bothered due to a lack of necessity: the AGS-101 mod is more than good enough... and stock backlit GBA SPs and DSes also get the job done. Older handhelds look like crap and need the facelift.

WOW, I'm going to try to get in touch with this guy and see if he's still taking orders for modding TEs. But I'd have see if he can resurrect it and recap it first, my TE will turn on but the screen is blank/darkened out and no sound, U.S. TEs and Duos had bad capacitors.

First thing I did was look him up. He has a website and on it says he isn't taking on more work until a backlog of orders is fulfilled... maybe the situation has changed since he posted that but I'm guessing he's booked for months.

If someone can work out a good backlight mod for the GBC/GBA reflective screens, that would be a better solution than trying to produce new screens. I don't think it's impossible, you'd just need to remove the reflective stuff, put in an evenly distributed diffusion layer + row of LEDs and make sure it all fits properly / works as expected.

lupinko

I picked up FF4 here for gba, I always wanted to play it. Although it appears the PSP version is the best version and package. Although I no longer own a PSP, and I don't have a vita or pstv.

Oh so it was an actual supply of screens, thanks. For a time I misinterpreted that to mean GBA SPs with the backlit screen were vanishing. I looked around at panels and you may be right. The closest are 3-3.5" 320x240 displays. However, the GG/Turbo LCD mods aren't the same exact res as the original screens and they still look fantastic. A determined person could probably do it but probably hasn't bothered due to a lack of necessity: the AGS-101 mod is more than good enough... and stock backlit GBA SPs and DSes also get the job done. Older handhelds look like crap and need the facelift.

First thing I did was look him up. He has a website and on it says he isn't taking on more work until a backlog of orders is fulfilled... maybe the situation has changed since he posted that but I'm guessing he's booked for months.

Thanks for the heads up, yeah I can imagine he gets flooded with too many requests.

RexRogers

Neo Member
Check out the copy of Wrecking Crew I just received from Japan! I can't wait to play it.
20160209_181307.jpg

Wait. How do I pay an eraser in a GBA? Well, I have a new $11 eraser. Ouch.

B.K.

I picked up FF4 here for gba, I always wanted to play it. Although it appears the PSP version is the best version and package. Although I no longer own a PSP, and I don't have a vita or pstv.

I like the GBA version of IV. I just wish it wasn't such a buggy mess. I bought a copy of the European version a couple years ago, since a lot of the bugs are fixed in it. I prefer it to the GBA version. I prefer the backgrounds and sprites of the SNES/GBA vresion to the PSP version.

Man that AGB-101 mod looks nice. I just recently got an SP, had the hinge break off day 1, and replaced part of the case so I'm gonna cool it on buying another console for a little, but I'm definitely going to do that at some point.

Just wondering, but is anyone here interested in swapping carts? I've got an extra copy of Dragon Warrior 1+2 (just the cart) that I won in an auction. Thinking of just selling it, but if anyone here's interested I would be happy to trade it for another game.

lupinko

I like the GBA version of IV. I just wish it wasn't such a buggy mess. I bought a copy of the European version a couple years ago, since a lot of the bugs are fixed in it. I prefer it to the GBA version. I prefer the backgrounds and sprites of the SNES/GBA vresion to the PSP version.

Yeah I'm definitely enjoying my GBA version. It also helps me with Japanese reading practice too. The save glitch isn't so bad since you have to do certain things to trigger it.

I'm know this has been discussed many times before here, but do people generally recommend getting one of each GB iteration as some games play best on various versions? I have a DGB (my original from the early 90s) but have a chance to get pretty cheap GBP, GBC and GBASP from a local CL ad. Thinking about the Pocket and Color especially. I've ways been intrigued by the Pocket.

I should add that I have a Cube and GBP. Getting a pro CRT with s-vid input soon.

I'm know this has been discussed many times before here, but do people generally recommend getting one of each GB iteration as some games play best on various versions? I have a DGB (my original from the early 90s) but have a chance to get pretty cheap GBP, GBC and GBASP from a local CL ad. Thinking about the Pocket and Color especially.

My Game Boy Pocket wouldn't turn on, and I couldn't find my purple Color. Is a DGB the original big white one?

I have a GBA SP and I like that it plays both Advance games and regular Game Boy ones. Also a side ways style GBA but it doesn't have a backlight, but the colors look pretty vibrant on it in the right light.

Anyway, I think if it's a good deal you should absolutely go for it!

B.K.

Yeah I'm definitely enjoying my GBA version. It also helps me with Japanese reading practice too. The save glitch isn't so bad since you have to do certain things to trigger it.

There's a save glitch in IV: Advance? I was mostly thinking of the ATB bug that gives you two or three attacks each turn.

Danneee

Just bought myself a GB Micro in great condition, planning on getting Castlevania Doublepack, Doom 2, Mario Advance 4 and Final Fight One.
I'm also looking at buying KoF Ex2, opinions on that? And are any of the games unplayable on the Micro due to its small screen?

Check out the copy of Wrecking Crew I just received from Japan! I can't wait to play it.
20160209_181307.jpg

Wait. How do I pay an eraser in a GBA? Well, I have a new $11 eraser. Ouch.

It's just a cartridge shaper eraser? I was wondering why it didn't have the red and yellow Famicom Mini packaging.

nickerous

So, my gameboy micro has begun to show signs of battery failure. I want to get another one, but wanted to ask if anyone had experience with those extended 600mah batteries on ebay? I see a 460mah and the 600mah. I am guessing the 460 is the original size?

hitgirl

My fake gameboy colour has a dead pixel. I love the damn thing. What's my chances of if I buy another it will have a dead pixel?

Lunar FC

Had a urge to get an original Gameboy and some Pokemon carts recently. What are the chances everything I see on ebay being fake? Played Pokemon alot growing up but the GB/GBC games were before my time.

Don't know much about these thing so I come to yall for guidance.

Was looking at this and these. Both seem to be a little cheap so that's why I'm skeptical.

Had a urge to get an original Gameboy and some Pokemon carts recently. What are the chances everything I see on ebay being fake? Played Pokemon alot growing up but the GB/GBC games were before my time.

Was looking at this and these. Both seem to be a little cheap so that's why I'm skeptical.
JP Pokemon carts are super cheap so that actually looks expensive to me. The GB is probably legit but might have an aftermarket case as part of being "restored".

lupinko

Japanese used Pokemon games are always cheap, only western versions cost an arm and a leg. If the seller is Japanese (and is based in Japan), the chances of it being a bootleg are fairly low.

JP Pokemon carts are super cheap so that actually looks expensive to me. The GB is probably legit but might have an aftermarket case as part of being "restored".

eBay is overpriced on purpose because sellers know they can price gouge.

Top Bottom