• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GB/GBC/GBA Collecting Thread

TheMoon

Olive is the only real option. All the other stuff looks terrible.

Original look all the way. (I guess the white one could look good too when fully assembled)

Lettuce

Yeah but the led illumination from the bottom of the screen is a bit of a worry, im wondering if the 'Hand Held legend' backlights also have this issue!?

Grabbed a few lots off of eBay since my GB/C/A collection is pretty small. The GBC library is hilariously double-or-nothing...either a game is an all-time classic or it's licensed shit like the Olson twins' Pocket Planner. Gonna use those shit carts to practice battery replacements.

On that note, does anyone have experience with nodding battery holders to fit GB/C/A carts? I don't want to solder a board more than once, and the tab break method looks risky and terrible. If the holders won't fit, I'd like to get some bare tabs to solder in so I can do the tape method without it looking like shit/being risky.

Westraid

Prefer the white too, though the green has the most retro feel.

Lifelong dream to own a pink handheld finally fulfilled today:
pinkpocket13uri.png
The pink is less pastel as the picture makes it look. It's a more deeper pink than I expected it to be, but I'm happy with it none the less.

I have a Deep Black Play it Loud! Game Boy but I gave it to my friend who adores it. The pocket's size is really perfect for taking it with me and it feels more comfortable to play, as I have small hands.

Was pretty worried about some marks on the screen, but it turned out to be dirt that came off after some good cleaning.
It's in used condition so it's not pristine, but it's fine with me. Most important is that it runs perfectly!

Hope to get a copy of Pokémon Red and James Bond 007 as those were always my favourites on the platform. Really excited to play those again, and I'll be checking out some of the game recommendations posted here too.

Lettuce

These actually just came out this week so at the time I responded, they didn't exist! ;)

I ordered one as soon as I saw these went up, should here in the next day or so, can't wait!

On a side note, front lit my GBC and pretty happy with the results. Glass screen on this as well!

ZiM2qNUl.jpg

Lettuce

Ah good timing on my part getting a gameboy pocket then.

Anyone know whenever get some LOCA from in the UK for the frontlight MOD?

psylah

Prefer the white too, though the green has the most retro feel.

Lifelong dream to own a pink handheld finally fulfilled today:

The pink is less pastel as the picture makes it look. It's a more deeper pink than I expected it to be, but I'm happy with it none the less.

I got a pink GBP last year, and a copy of the pink Tamagotchi cart:

Since the Tamagotchi game is unplayable without knowing japanese I swapped a copy of Tetris in there.

So how much do backlit pockets run for? Dunno if I wanna do it myself since I'm pretty sure theyre cheap, but I'm not sure.

Would be better than my frontlit color for grey carts, I would think.
Speak of the devil... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f85v4hqbcJc
What was the reason for the GBC screen being so small compared to the DMG and GBP systems??
Is it smaller? They used a different screen design in lots of ways so perhaps it's a biproduct of that.

Oh yeah, about a half inch smaller in both dimensions

Mega

Banned
What was the reason for the GBC screen being so small compared to the DMG and GBP systems??

The GBC screen is SLIGHTLY smaller than the DMG screen (1-2cm on width and height). It's so close they're practically the same and I recall a Nintendo page listing them as being the same. The DMG's screen appears bigger because of the bezel and because people don't take into account that the active pixel area is smaller than the screen area itself. The GBP is the one that's significantly bigger.

-KRS-

The GBC screen is SLIGHTLY smaller than the DMG screen (1-2cm on width and height). It's so close they're practically the same and I recall a Nintendo page listing them as being the same. The DMG's screen appears bigger because of the bezel and because people don't take into account that the active pixel area is smaller than the screen area itself. The GBP is the one that's significantly bigger.
We had a discussion about DMG vs GBP screen size just a little while ago where I claimed that the GBP screen was bigger, but in fact it was shown that the DMG screen is 1mm larger.

The GBC screen is very noticeably smaller, but it's also much sharper than DMG and GBP. It also has almost no smearing/blurriness.

Browsing eBay, the japanese gameboy market seems high at the moment. Wonder if that'll last, since the market still seems way less popular than the home consoles.

I'm bummed about how expensive the castlevania and ghosts n' goblins series' games are. Really would like them in my collection, but I don't think I'll be able to get my hands on them unless I really wanna shell out some cash (50$/each minimum).

Mega

Banned
We had a discussion about DMG vs GBP screen size just a little while ago where I claimed that the GBP screen was bigger, but in fact it was shown that the DMG screen is 1mm larger.

The GBC screen is very noticeably smaller, but it's also much sharper than DMG and GBP. It also has almost no smearing/blurriness.

Earlier I said cm when I meant mm.

I measured my GBC and DMG screens (the area with actual pixels and gameplay) and the difference is very small.

GBC
43mm wide X 38mm high

DMG
45mm wide X 41mm high

There's a pretty thick "dead" perimeter area on the DMG screen. Makes the screen look bigger than it is.

Busy mod day today!

Finished my latest White Bi-Vert DMG tonight along with my frontlit GBA and even got my Gameboy Pocket Glass screen in the mail and installed today!

I started laying out some of my systems and this happened:

EAChVz2l.jpg

Can you guess which one(s) don't quite fit?

I really like the white backlight better, it's crisper than my green backlit one and both are biverted.

Not so happy with the way the HHL GBA frontlight turned out. I screwed up the LOCA again and there is a splotch on the bottom left of the screen. It's not as bright as my GBC so I think I'll probably end up sacrificing my AGS 101 and putting it in my other AGS001.

Oh, I also think I have a Tetris addiction as well.

hitgirl

Is that blue GBC a GB Boy Colour? That looks like the best screen out of the bunch. Not sure why people just don't buy these instead of modding a screen.

Is that blue GBC a GB Boy Colour? That looks like the best screen out of the bunch. Not sure why people just don't buy these instead of modding a screen.
Yes it is. And because of various compatibility issues and hardware issues such as a screen of the wrong aspect ratio and iffy dpad.

Also many people prefer original hardware regardless.

hitgirl

Yes it is. And because of various compatibility issues and hardware issues such as a screen of the wrong aspect ratio and iffy dpad.

Also many people prefer original hardware regardless.

Ah, it's never bothered me, the screen ratio. I've been meaning to swap out my dpad.

Mine has a dead pixel though, I'd like to get another but cannot find one for sale anymore.. I probably just suck at searching auctions though.

Yes it is and it's secretly one of my favorites to use. The aspect ratio thing has never bothered me and the thing plays solid enough. I have heard that a GB Pocket d-pad can be used in place of the one on there, but it's never been an issue for me.

I'm tempted now to get a REVO K101 for my GBA stuff. Modern display technology is leaps and bounds over the antiquated old displays, but there's still some charm to using my DMG that brings back memories. I do love the white backlit DMG I finished and will probably use that one more.

Ah, I can't find them anymore on Aliexpress.

I think the updated the model to be this one now:

http://www.aliexpress.com/item/Free..._7&btsid=146f4a1d-8a49-463c-8352-5efce27a8423

It looks to play up to GBC games, not GBA though:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6GbGFlM0RIM

Tempted to get one of these for the collection now as well!

hitgirl

cases for Gameboy color games - which ones are the best? true Nintendo ones or is there a good supplier that sells them new?

Lettuce

So just test out the 2 GBP and 2 GBC systems i got, and man the display on th GBC system seem to be loads sharper, was this common knowledge.

Also both the GBC system i have have no audio (well 1 does but its very very quiet) was this a common fault and is it easy to fix?

So just test out the 2 GBP and 2 GBC systems i got, and man the display on th GBC system seem to be loads sharper, was this common knowledge.

Also both the GBC system i have have no audio (well 1 does but its very very quiet) was this a common fault and is it easy to fix?

Yeah of course the GBC screen is way sharper. It also doesn't ghost like at all, compared to the smeary mess the DMG/GBP screen gets when scrolling.

Have you tried with headphones? If that works, then it's your speaker. You can replace it with a DS (maybe SP? I can't recall) speaker. It's super trivial if you've ever soldered electronics in your life. Also will give you better quality than the OEM ever did.

Mega

Banned
Yes it is and it's secretly one of my favorites to use. The aspect ratio thing has never bothered me and the thing plays solid enough. I have heard that a GB Pocket d-pad can be used in place of the one on there, but it's never been an issue for me.

I'm tempted now to get a REVO K101 for my GBA stuff. Modern display technology is leaps and bounds over the antiquated old displays, but there's still some charm to using my DMG that brings back memories. I do love the white backlit DMG I finished and will probably use that one more.

The K101+ is really nice for GBA games. There are three aspect ratios (original, 3:2 and 4:3). Only unfortunate thing is that none of the aspect ratios are perfect (original is Micro size, other two aren't pixel-perfect scaling). This strikes me as being very strange because the panel is supposed to be 960 x 480. That means it should do perfect 3x scaling (720 x 480) with pillars on the side. You're right about modern display tech. The screen quality is better than any Gameboy or GBA. I would say it's even better than my DS Lite which has pretty nasty ghosting.

Regarding blur, I have two backlight DMGs: one is stock and the other has new capacitors. Graphics in motion are noticeably less blurry on the recapped model. It's still not perfect but definitely an improvement over the original. I just got a bunch of Amazon rechargeable batteries in the mail so I'll be able to confirm this isn't all my imagination with a side-by-side observation!

Lettuce

Have you tried with headphones? If that works, then it's your speaker. You can replace it with a DS (maybe SP? I can't recall) speaker. It's super trivial if you've ever soldered electronics in your life. Also will give you better quality than the OEM ever did.

Just tried with headphones and i get audio, but there seems to be a very loud audio 'hum' when using headphones on both, was this normal?. Can DS Speakers be easily sourced then?

Just tried with headphones and i get audio, but there seems to be a very loud audio 'hum' when using headphones on both, was this normal?. Can DS Speakers be easily sourced then?

Yeah, the GBC has a lot of interference. It's possible to mod a lot of it out with a couple wires to bypass the board (basically, go from the audio swivel to the output jack like THIS).

And yes, I've bought like 4 DS speakers on ebay for a few bucks. You can get OEM or knock offs (which are probably still better than the original).

This video is pretty self explanatory: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wp5sOgNg1Kw
I'll throw this in there, too, for those curious. It's a comparison of various GB model sound outputs:
http://www.herbertweixelbaum.com/comparison.htm

Try a Wii Remote speaker. It's a nearly perfect fit.

Lettuce

Yeah, the GBC has a lot of interference. It's possible to mod a lot of it out with a couple wires to bypass the board (basically, go from the audio swivel to the output jack like THIS).

And yes, I've bought like 4 DS speakers on ebay for a few bucks. You can get OEM or knock offs (which are probably still better than the original).

This video is pretty self explanatory: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wp5sOgNg1Kw
I'll throw this in there, too, for those curious. It's a comparison of various GB model sound outputs:
http://www.herbertweixelbaum.com/comparison.htm

Thanks, does it matter if there DS Lite or Phat speakers?

Thanks, does it matter if there DS Lite or Phat speakers?

I doubt it. Given Sheepy's post about wiimote speakers also working, I imagine pretty much everything from that time period works as long as it's the right size. I can only personally vouch for the lite speakers, though, regardless of if I think those might work.

Mega

Banned
I stand corrected. I guess since both the DMG and GBC screens are small to begin, the extra few mm on the width and height of the DMG screen makes a noticeable difference in the size of the graphics. I did a comparison with Super Mario Land 2 running on both at the same time.

Anyone know where to pick up plastic box protectors for japanese gameboy games? I've found GBA ones, and US gameboy ones, but no luck with the japanese ones.
Also, anyone own a copy of Sagaia for GB? Does it save? trying to figure out if my copy has a dead battery or if there's something I'm not getting.

20cent

Banned
Yeah, received my GB Light. The yahoo auctions seller stated "B-C condition", I'd say more like a D while better than most crap I see on ebay.

Anyway it's not that bad for the price especially with the 18 games included and it works great.
I've just ordered a replacement screen "glass" from taobao but I'm considering respraying it.

Anyone tried to spray a GB (L) with good result?

Anyone know where to pick up plastic box protectors for japanese gameboy games? I've found GBA ones, and US gameboy ones, but no luck with the japanese ones.

So still no luck with this. Seems like quite a few people are looking for them, but no such luck. Anyone know enough japanese to guess what my search terms might be if I searched on a japanese site?

D.Lo

So still no luck with this. Seems like quite a few people are looking for them, but no such luck. Anyone know enough japanese to guess what my search terms might be if I searched on a japanese site?
Japanese GB boxes had a variety of sizes though.

I just keep mine in Japanese GBA box protectors. The smallest I could find.

Top Bottom