• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GB/GBC/GBA Collecting Thread

SKINNER!

Banned
Yes!! Finally got my hands on it. A PAL Metal Gear Solid with the awesome artwork cover. Hoping it is not a fake :(

KI9kIQY.jpg

Also, got me warioware for dirt cheap to accompany my copy of twisted.

Rich!

Looks great, Rich!

Thanks!

Anyhow, referring back to my earlier queries about the vertical lines on a GBP, I've confirmed its just how the screen works (its the same on my non backlit model too). For illustrative purposes, you can see it best in these two shots:

dsc_0848wtqda.jpg

dsc_0851ovqq9.jpg

It's basically due to how the LCD displays the image. When darker lines are drawn, the rest of the vertical line involved takes a hit due to it, resulting in an odd after effect. It's not an issue with the mod, it's just how the GBP works.

It's basically due to how the LCD displays the image. When darker lines are drawn, the rest of the vertical line involved takes a hit due to it, resulting in an odd after effect. It's not an issue with the mod, it's just how the GBP works.

Yep, I immediately noticed it on the GBP I just bought. It's not a huge deal, though.

Got these today. Local buy, $50 for all. The two GBs are in near perfect condition, including the screens.

Also, check it. Probably my best ever game.
Nice purchase, great price and good games.

just tested out my new backlit pocket

hooooly shit it's amazing. some photos I took:

09lZXm6.jpg

dAn5eCQ.jpg

VMLYNcq.jpg

HZa0wFN.jpg
My word, this does look neat. It looks like you got a blue backlight. Is it possible to get a clear/white light?

Which seller on eBay, BTW? Can you link us, please? I think I want one!

I have a front lit GBC which I posted pics on here a good while back. I found the guy on a website he runs here in the UK, does Gameboy mods.

Rich!

Nice purchase, great price and good games.

My word, this does look neat. It looks like you got a blue backlight. Is it possible to get a clear/white light?

Which seller on eBay, BTW? Can you link us, please? I think I want one!

I have a front lit GBC which I posted pics on here a good while back. I found the guy on a website he runs here in the UK, does Gameboy mods.

the seller on UK ebay was andehx - he seems to sell a lot of cool shit, but I'm incredibly impressed with my purchase. amazing, and significantly better than the last backlit GBP I purchased. Anyhow, I'm set on doing the GBC mod myself when I get time as I've ordered the parts - but what's the site?

in other news I received the following games in the post today:

Zelda DX (JP)
Zelda Link's Awakening (JP) - got it with the above in a bundle for £8. bargain!
Tetris (1.1v) and Tetris (1.0v JP - the one without the iconic music!)
Tetris DX
Super Mario Land 2 (JP)
Donkey Kong (JP)
Jungle Book
Game and Watch Gallery 2
Super Donkey Kong Land What the fuck 1 2 and 3

Danneee

I'm having a bit of a problem with Golden Sun. It starts directly at the new game/name you protagonist screen and I have to start a new game then reset to load a game. I'm guessing batteries if it has that kind of save, but then again it shouldn't be that as theres nothing wrong with my saves.
It's a legitimate copy too.

Is it the game or am I missing something?

the seller on UK ebay was andehx - he seems to sell a lot of cool shit, but I'm incredibly impressed with my purchase. amazing, and significantly better than the last backlit GBP I purchased. Anyhow, I'm set on doing the GBC mod myself when I get time as I've ordered the parts - but what's the site?

in other news I received the following games in the post today:

Zelda DX (JP)
Zelda Link's Awakening (JP) - got it with the above in a bundle for £8. bargain!
Tetris (1.1v) and Tetris (1.0v JP - the one without the iconic music!)
Tetris DX
Super Mario Land 2 (JP)
Donkey Kong (JP)
Jungle Book
Game and Watch Gallery 2
Super Donkey Kong Land What the fuck 1 2 and 3
The site is:

http://www.gameboymods.co.uk/

I checked with him, doesn't seem to do Gameboy Pocket mods anymore :-(

Also, you have Super Donkey Kong Land 1, 2 and 3...? What is that, a 3-in-1 package or something?

That thing is beautiful, Rich. Generally speaking transparent casings are not for me, but the blue shell with the green PCB really looks nice together. I've never had a GBP but I've always thought it was the nicest looking pre-Advance Gameboy.

What's the best external lighting solution for a GBC? Just sit under a lamp? I tend to get reflections doing that.... I heard the worm light was cool? Any other third-party devices people here tend to like?

butalala

What's the best external lighting solution for a GBC? Just sit under a lamp? I tend to get reflections doing that.... I heard the worm light was cool? Any other third-party devices people here tend to like?

Worm lights suck, at least as I remember them. It was just a single LED, so it would light part of the screen, or if you moved it closer to the screen wash it out, or even block it with a reflection of itself.

Maybe try that front light mod. I've been going over it and it doesn't look complicated at all. If you've got a spare GBC there isn't much to lose, even then regular GBCs are pretty cheap. I'm going to do it with my spare, and if I like the results I'll switch the case with my Special Pikachu Edition Yellow GBC that was my first GB.

Also, I've noticed there are two versions of Wario Land II. One a GBC black cartridge and one a DMG grey cartridge. I have the grey cartridge, though the save battery is dead.

Why did they release it like that? Black cartridges are backwards compatible with the DMG, are they not?

Rich!

Wario Land 2 came out before the GBC (grey cart) and was later rereleased for the GBC in colour (black cart)

They are two separate versions. the GBC version contains both ROMs and they switch depending on the console used. The non-colour version has a different pause menu as well as considerable slowdown in some areas when played on anything other than a GBC.

Also, I've noticed there are two versions of Wario Land II. One a GBC black cartridge and one a DMG grey cartridge. I have the grey cartridge, though the save battery is dead.

Why did they release it like that? Black cartridges are backwards compatible with the DMG, are they not?

They originally put it out before the release of the GBC, then followed up with a GBC launch version in color.

I really need to replace the battery because I remember it being a really good game.

Can I take a moment to compel everyone to please replace your cartridge batteries?

I found yesterday that the copy of Mario's Picross that I recently bought was leaking battery acid. Thankfully it didn't destroy the board but it could have been reaaaaaal bad.

If you're neglecting doing this, you're seriously risking letting your games get ruined.

Peltz

Can I take a moment to compel everyone to please replace your cartridge batteries?

I found yesterday that the copy of Mario's Picross that I recently bought was leaking battery acid. Thankfully it didn't destroy the board but it could have been reaaaaaal bad.

If you're neglecting doing this, you're seriously risking letting your games get ruined.
Friends don't let other friends fuck up their games... Or drive drunk.

200w.gif

SKINNER!

Banned
Looks like the copy I got. #teamlegit

awww yuss! Cheers bro :D

Also, lol at aliexpress. It's kinda like the yin yang of online shopping. You can either get really good stuff there or really bad/dodgy stuff.

I - too - sometimes struggle to find things on the website. Someone should really start a neogaf thread where people can share cool shit you can buy from aliexpress. I'd do it but I'm scared :(

sorry if this is the wrong thread, but pokemon sapphire from GBA has a battery for time events correct? If the battery dies, would the save game be affected or just he internal clock? how is the game saved, another battery?

Is it worth to have a battery replaced just for the time events? thanks

ps: that is not my game, I am planning to buy a game and the seller told me he replaced the battery, but the old one leaked and apparently had some corrosion on the battery site and even though the new battery was installed, he says he can't get the time events to work.

I think in the 3rd gen games a dead battery only affects the day night cycle. You should still be able to save so maybe it saves to flash memory or something.

Yeah, it's just time events. This includes berries, sales in lilycove, mirage island, day/night, and television programs afaik.

It's pretty easy to fix so it may be worth it for you. I personally end up playing farming simulator in 3rd gen, so it really hurts my experience.

_h8bit

Banned
It's even more glorious in person and it's in incredible condition.

VKOkE6Q.png

Front light isn't terrible but if I can find a busted 101 with a working screen, i would definitely open this up and install one.

SKINNER!

Banned
Found my old Gameboy DMG at my parent's house but I noticed it's slowly yellowing :( I don't understand why because it was in my Gameboy carrier bag for god knows how long. Wondering whether to leave it or open it up and changing the cover. hmmmmmmm, also discovered that I can't push my headphones all the way into the headphone jack. I must've stuck something in there when I was a kid haha. Probably should get that changed.

So GB GAF, do you ever fix /restore your childhood gameboys or leave them unaltered?

My screwdriver set is on its way so I can save my GB carts from utter devastation by battery acid.

Is it better to solder in new batteries or use tape or hot glue?

Found my old Gameboy DMG at my parent's house but I noticed it's slowly yellowing :( I don't understand why because it was in my Gameboy carrier bag for god knows how long. Wondering whether to leave it or open it up and changing the cover. hmmmmmmm, also discovered that I can't push my headphones all the way into the headphone jack. I must've stuck something in there when I was a kid haha. Probably should get that changed.

So GB GAF, do you ever fix /restore your childhood gameboys or leave them unaltered?
My GBC/GBA were in such terrible condition I just left them as is and bought new (old) ones from Japan that were in pristine condition.

I thought about taking the boards and fitting them in new shells but I don't think it's worth it. You can get great condition used systems for so cheap, and probably better colors than you had as a kid.

My screwdriver set is on its way so I can save my GB carts from utter devastation by battery acid.

Is it better to solder in new batteries or use tape or hot glue?

Solder them in, it's not hard at all. You can find batteries with the extra legs pre-attached on ebay for pretty cheap.

Should I desolder the battery first, or can I just pull out the battery and desolder the tabs later?

You could maybe remove the battery without taking off the tabs but it would be easier to just desolder in one go. I think I tried removing one of those batteries from the tabs before and it was not pleasant.

Rich!

this game never gets old

also, I'm liking my choice to go with JP releases. Full english on most games - using the full GoodGBx list is awesome for this. anything [JU] is the same in all regions!. And the label art is definitely superior without the added borders:

dsc_0001qvxih.jpg

I was just playing DK 94 a couple nights ago on my new GBC. It's god tier and yeah, never gets old.

Love the JP cartridge art! I'll have to check out that list. Sounds useful.

SKINNER!

Banned
My GBC/GBA were in such terrible condition I just left them as is and bought new (old) ones from Japan that were in pristine condition.

I thought about taking the boards and fitting them in new shells but I don't think it's worth it. You can get great condition used systems for so cheap, and probably better colors than you had as a kid.

true true! That's a fair point. Maybe it's best to buy another one dirt cheap and modify it for fun :) Leave the childhood one untouched with its flaws like a museum relic.

Just wondering if anyone knows...what would be the best way to play GBA games on my PVM monitor? Of course there's the GB Player, but then I would need to get a component cable...and I'm just not gonna drop $200 bux on a cable lol.

Any solid alternatives? I saw this SNES-GBA adapter on Amazon: http://www.amazon.com/Retro-Bit-Super-Retro-Advance-Adapter-Nintendo/dp/B00EXPCTQQ/ref=pd_sim_63_3/186-1218412-8092545?ie=UTF8&dpID=51YY0AhnXiL&dpSrc=sims&preST=_AC_UL160_SR154%2C160_&refRID=1YA3261MKS58AXQK2PW3

But can this display through my SNES RGB?

Your PVM should have an s-video input. GB Player via s-video is a cheaper alternative. Maybe not the BEST way but a damn good way and you should already have a GameCube AV cord with s-video. I'm going to do this soon. Played some DK94 via Super GB/SNES over s-video on my BVM last night and it looked damn good. Going to dig out my Cube and GB Player next.

Cool, thanks for confirming! I've been spoiled by all this RGB and component goodness but I guess I can settle for S-video if it's the next best bet. Such a shame about those component cable prices ;(

SKINNER!

Banned
Just wondering if anyone knows...what would be the best way to play GBA games on my PVM monitor? Of course there's the GB Player, but then I would need to get a component cable...and I'm just not gonna drop $200 bux on a cable lol.

Any solid alternatives? I saw this SNES-GBA adapter on Amazon: http://www.amazon.com/Retro-Bit-Super-Retro-Advance-Adapter-Nintendo/dp/B00EXPCTQQ/ref=pd_sim_63_3/186-1218412-8092545?ie=UTF8&dpID=51YY0AhnXiL&dpSrc=sims&preST=_AC_UL160_SR154%2C160_&refRID=1YA3261MKS58AXQK2PW3

But can this display through my SNES RGB?

I've been using the AD Adaptor to play GBA on my SNES recently and it seems to be great. It's almost identical to the Retro-bit you linked. Might be a clone actually. My only gripe with it is that there's a low hum/buzz sound that comes from it. Probably because of the bad cable or the fact it's a clone. There is an online tutorial to fix it but I barely notice it once I'm playing a game. Only when there's no sound. GBA Player would probably be my choice if I were you but if you're looking for an alternative I'd recommend this, Especially at the price :)

Top Bottom