• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GB/GBC/GBA Collecting Thread

But can this display through my SNES RGB?
No, it only uses the SNES for power, IIRC. It has a separate composite video lead.

Get a PAL Gamecube for SCART RGB video, SD Media Launcher, a Game Boy Player and Game Boy Interface for the best CRT game boy experiece without buying $200 Gamecube component cables.

No, it only uses the SNES for power, IIRC. It has a separate composite video lead.

Get a PAL Gamecube for SCART RGB video, SD Media Launcher, a Game Boy Player and Game Boy Interface for the best CRT game boy experiece without buying $200 Gamecube component cables.
I have all of those except the SD Media Launcher and Game Boy Interface. Well, I don't have a BVM either. Still, will hopefully get everything bar the PVM soon and will try it on my 23" 720p TV to see how it looks, hah.

-KRS-

So I bought some cr2025 batteries with tabs. If I understand correctly I can replace cr1616 with them as well right?

Thanks for the tip. Just ordered the SD Media Launcher. Now trying to decide between PAL GC or just sticking with my NTSC GC and seeing how it looks through S-Video.

I seem to remember PAL GC's being inferior in that they can't output progressive scan, can anyone confirm? I keep hearing about the supposed plug n play GCVideo component adapter coming this year too, so maybe I should just wait to see if this is a real existing product . Just sounds too good to be true!

-KRS-

Thanks for the tip. Just ordered the SD Media Launcher. Now trying to decide between PAL GC or just sticking with my NTSC GC and seeing how it looks through S-Video.

I seem to remember PAL GC's being inferior in that they can't output progressive scan, can anyone confirm? I keep hearing about the supposed plug n play GCVideo component adapter coming this year too, so maybe I should just wait to see if this is a real existing product . Just sounds too good to be true!

PAL GCs can output progressive scan if you play an NTSC game on it, since it's the game that dictates that and not the console. There weren't any PAL games that output in 480p.

Hubbl3

Unconfirmed Member
I was finally able to find a CIB copy of one of my favorite GB games!

BrexYwk.jpg

ywpF5iN.jpg

Starting to go a little crazy with wanting to add backlights to all my Gameboys now. Started with the DMG with a Green Bivert backlight.

I have ALWAYS wanted a GB Light, so got a RGB Backlight from HHL and installed it into my Silver GB Pocket. Freaking in love now! I am considering getting a GB Light screen cover and trimming it to size and also biverting. I'm a little afraid of trying to bivert the pocket though given the size of the pins on the Pocket CPU, they are so tiny!

6ZGwJLOl.jpg

sgu36yRl.jpg

al5nh2Fl.jpg

Danneee

Opinions on Konami Krazy Racers? I kind of want a kart Racer on GBA and don't know if I should buy that or Mario Kart.
I already have MK on SNES if that would matter here.

Mega

Banned
I never played that Konami game, but I do have Mario Kart Super Circuit and really enjoyed it back then. I feel it was looked upon very favorably until the full 3D Mario Karts came around (DD, DS, 7). That's probably when popular consensus shifted toward it being one of the "worst" MKs. I think it is still great and it's all about getting reacquainted with the controls and Mode 7 graphics. I need to fire it up on the GB Player to see how it looks with some nice scanlines and phosphor glow.

Opinions on Konami Krazy Racers? I kind of want a kart Racer on GBA and don't know if I should buy that or Mario Kart.

I really like Konami Krazy Racers and have always hated Mario Kart Super Circuit. I just can't stand prerendered graphics like that. Hate them.

Very fun little racing game with simple controls, colorful Mode 7 style graphics and great Konami fan service, get it! Oh yeah, and if you're still on the fence, the Vic Viper is an unlockable racer, how cool is that? :)

entremet

Speaking of batteries, I was playing Super Star Saga recently and was around 8 hours and my game save got erased :(

Looks like the battery is dead and I need to replace it.

I thought GBA was flash based memory.

Someone give me the low down on link cables and GBC and GB Pocket. The connectors are different than the DMG. New cable required? Adaptor? No games used the link in the later life cycle? What's the deal?

Speaking of batteries, I was playing Super Star Saga recently and was around 8 hours and my game save got erased :(

Most are but a few (official) games have batteries. Of the 20 or so non-Pokemon games I own, only Kirby: Nightmare in Dreamland and WarioWare (both JP, not sure if it matters) have batteries.

Most bootlegs have batteries though so you might want to double check yours.

Most are but a few (official) games have batteries. Of the 20 or so non-Pokemon games I own, only Kirby: Nightmare in Dreamland and WarioWare (both JP, not sure if it matters) have batteries.

Superstar Saga got EEPROM for savegames so it shouldn't have a battery if it's a legit copy.

entremet

Damn.

It's a CIB copy I got years ago from a brick and mortar store, this when GBA games were being blown out. Shrink wrapped and everything.

I wonder what corrupted the save?

After someone posted in this thread a GBP that looked like the original GB, I decided to try and get one. They're not cheap on eBay, so I took a chance on Amazon and found someone selling one for $40 and figured what the hell.

What arrived worked, but was a little beat up, and must've had the screen cover replaced at some point, since it wasn't the correct one.

So, some Googling for replacement parts, stickers and screen covers, I took it apart today, gave the shell and buttons a good soak in some soap and water, replaced the pads beneath the buttons (though the pads underneath B/A aren't lining up quite right and the A button sticks a little) - and I think it looks pretty good! I really want to do the backlight, but I need to get a little more comfortable with a soldering iron first.

B.K.

I've been wanting to print covers and buy some DS cases and make some custom cases for my GBA games. My printer isn't very good though, so the covers would look like crap. There's a guy on Ebay that will print the art you send him from CoverProject's website and will send it to you with a case for $7. I may order a few of them when I get my tax return.

Lettuce

Wheres the best place in the UK or Europe to get replacement shells for GBC & GBP??, have 2 GBC and 2 GBP coming which im going to restore and fit back/front lights in.

Also what are those GB Boy devices like?

Lettuce

Regarding the LOCA application to the the frontlight screen and the need of UV rays, would one of these nail UV treatment devices work ok??....

41mXl6tlOlL.jpg

can get on for like £8 on Amazon??

Also is there a mod to be able to adjust the intensity of the led frontlight?, from the pictures ive seen the frontlight seem to be slightly too bright and look like they washout the screen

After someone posted in this thread a GBP that looked like the original GB, I decided to try and get one. They're not cheap on eBay, so I took a chance on Amazon and found someone selling one for $40 and figured what the hell.

What arrived worked, but was a little beat up, and must've had the screen cover replaced at some point, since it wasn't the correct one.

So, some Googling for replacement parts, stickers and screen covers, I took it apart today, gave the shell and buttons a good soak in some soap and water, replaced the pads beneath the buttons (though the pads underneath B/A aren't lining up quite right and the A button sticks a little) - and I think it looks pretty good! I really want to do the backlight, but I need to get a little more comfortable with a soldering iron first.
What a great refurb job. Take a bow.

Bakkus

So I finally got Ninja Cop/Five-O and with that, I think I have every GBA game I want, anyone know of any more I might be interested in based on my current collection?

The 3 Castlevanias
Zelda: Minish Cap
Pokemon R/S/E
Pokemon FR/LG
Sigma Star Saga
Boktai 1 & 2
Drill Dozer
Konami Krazy Racers
Golden Sun 1 & 2
Mario & Luigi: Superstar Saga
Gunstar Future Heroes
Astro Boy: Omega Factor
The 3 Fire Emblems
Mario VS Donkey Kong
Zone of the Enders: The Fist of Mars
Final Fantasy 5
Final Fantasy Tactics Advance
Mother 3
Rhythm Tengoku
F-Zero Maximum Velocity
Banjo-Kazooie Grunty's Revenge
Wario Land 4
Metroid Zero Mission
Metroid Fusion
Advance Wars 1 & 2
Klonoa: Empire of Dreams
KuruKuru Kururin
Kingdom Hearts: Chain of Memories
Summon Night: Swordcraft Story 1 & 2
WarioWare Twisted (Got the first one on GC which i've heard is the same game)
Sonic Advance 3 (not very interested in the ones i'm missing)
Kirby and the Amazing Mirror
Kirby Nightmare in Dreamland
Tactics Ogre: Knight of Lodis

And also the GBA versions of Mario World 1 & 2, plus a Lord of the Rings game and a Duel Masters game

womp

Wheres the best place in the UK or Europe to get replacement shells for GBC & GBP??, have 2 GBC and 2 GBP coming which im going to restore and fit back/front lights in.

Also what are those GB Boy devices like?

I think I remember Rich! buying one of those and the power switch broke after like three uses.

I got one 2 years ago. The power switch broke after 5 uses. No joke. The screen ratio made me mental too, everything is a bit squished thanks to it not being native res.

Not worth it whatsoever.

So I finally got Ninja Cop/Five-O and with that, I think I have every GBA game I want, anyone know of any more I might be interested in based on my current collection?

The 3 Castlevanias
Pokemon R/S/E
Pokemon FR/LG
Sigma Star Saga
Boktai 1 & 2
Drill Dozer
Konami Krazy Racers
Golden Sun 1 & 2
Gunstar Future Heroes
The 3 Fire Emblems
Mario VS Donkey Kong
Final Fantasy 5
Mother 3
Rhythm Tengoku
F-Zero Maximum Velocity
Wario Land 4
Metroid Zero Mission
Metroid Fusion
Advance Wars 1 & 2
KuruKuru Kururin

And also the GBA versions of Mario World 1 & 2, plus a Lord of the Rings game and a Duel Masters game

There are a few racing games in there, so you might want to check out Racing Gears Advance.

The 3 Castlevanias
Pokemon R/S/E
Pokemon FR/LG
Sigma Star Saga
Boktai 1 & 2
Drill Dozer
Konami Krazy Racers
Golden Sun 1 & 2
Gunstar Future Heroes
The 3 Fire Emblems
Mario VS Donkey Kong
Final Fantasy 5
Mother 3
Rhythm Tengoku
F-Zero Maximum Velocity
Wario Land 4
Metroid Zero Mission
Metroid Fusion
Advance Wars 1 & 2
KuruKuru Kururin

Here are a few suggestions (in random order as I see them in my collection):
Puyo Pop
Lilo & Stitch 1&2
DK King of Swing
Riviera
Sabre Wolf
Bubble Bobble
Contra Advance
Metal Slug Advance
CT special forces 1-3 (great hidden gems)
Iridion 2, possibly also Iridion 3D
The Lost Vikings
V-Rally 3 (best 3D graphics on GBA)
The crash bandicoot games
Tony Hawk Pro Skater 2
Megaman X games, Megaman & Bass
If you're into Pokemon type games:
Demi Kids (2 versions)
Medabots (at least 3 versions)

SKINNER!

Banned

Nice on mate :D One of my quests this summer when I head to Japan is picking one up if I can find. Shit looks sexy as fuck :D

No, get the first Wario Ware game for GBA. The GC one is stripped down to only include the minigames, which removes lots of the fun and charm of the whole package (cinematics, unlock system et al).

Bakkus

Thanks for the recommendations. I guess I should have mentioned that I don't want watered down SNES ports (or weaker versions in general) like with The Lost Vikings which I already own on SNES. I also own all the Mega Man Zero games on DS. Did they make any changes between those ports?

Thanks to all for the kind words, but really the thanks goes to Soap and Water. It's amazing what washing off some gunk can do.

That said, I noticed a little corrosion on the logic board - what's the best way to clean that, or should I even bother?

If you're willing to take a chance, Amazon has a number of used GBPs in the DMG color scheme around $30-$40 - but there's no pictures on them.

Lettuce

Has there been any comparisons between the backlights from Gameboy Mods UK and Hand held Legend?, not sure which is regarded to be the best!?

Also i have the dilemma of which colour to go for, i have 3 Gameboy Pockets here that im going to Bivert and add backlights but cant decide on which colours (i think red and purple are defo out of the question)......

Blue
blue-250x250.jpg

Olive
olivenormal-250x250.jpg

White
whitenormal-250x250.jpg

Teal
tealnormal-250x250.JPG

Light Blue
lightbluenormal-250x250.jpg

I think the Blue and Olive look the most pleasing, im not sure on the white though looks more dirty yellow than white!

watching this comparison video, https://youtu.be/3vg2dKEFMSI, some colours really highlight the led lights on the bottom of the screen which im not liking...i wonder if the Hand Held Legend back lights have this same issue!?

Top Bottom