• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GB/GBC/GBA Collecting Thread

SML2013s1-1.png
SML2013s2-1.png

I just heard about this sprite patch to Super Mario Land. I always thought the game looked kinda plain, so this is neat.

Super Mario Land is a pretty awful looking game, but I don't know how much that helps fix the problem. It's okay looking I guess, but the design is all over the place.

JulianImp

I went through my old games and systems to put all of them inside ziplock bags so they wouldn't be wrecked by humidity and dust (a bit late, I guess), so I took the oportunity to take pictures of my collection:

Like with my previous collection posts, I'll be posting some mini-reviews soon.

SML2013s1-1.png
SML2013s2-1.png

I just heard about this sprite patch to Super Mario Land. I always thought the game looked kinda plain, so this is neat.

That's kind of a neat project, but also kinda pointless.

If someone were to remake the entire game with huge colorful assets that go beyond the 8-bit / 16-bit revival look, now that would be something worthwhile.

D

Deleted member 125677

Unconfirmed Member
Looking for Metroid Zero Mission on ebay/amazon, look like it's hovering around $/£20.. How do the fake cartridges look like?

Recall

My brothers EX girlfriend stole my entire GBA collection (55 games) with the exception of the following, and to be fair as long as I have Fire Pro A im ok about it as it soothes the pain.

I went through my old games and systems to put all of them inside ziplock bags so they wouldn't be wrecked by humidity and dust (a bit late, I guess), so I took the oportunity to take pictures of my collection:

Like with my previous collection posts, I'll be posting some mini-reviews soon.

2 copies of Gold? Simply beautiful.

MarkusRJR

What's the best console for playing Game Boy games? I have a mint (zero scratches, literally in brand new condition) black Game Boy Pocket, but it's one of the early models that didn't have an LED so it's annoying to use. I hate not having any idea of when it's batteries will die. I literally lost 3 hours of progress in Pokemon the last time I played on it. I'm kind of thinking of getting one of the OG Game Boys because I never could get one as a kid. Is there any real differences between the OG Game Boy and the Game Boy Pocket apart from size?

Seik

Banned
What's the best console for playing Game Boy games? I have a mint (zero scratches, literally in brand new condition) black Game Boy Pocket, but it's one of the early models that didn't have an LED so it's annoying to use. I hate not having any idea of when it's batteries will die. I literally lost 3 hours of progress in Pokemon the last time I played on it. I'm kind of thinking of getting one of the OG Game Boys because I never could get one as a kid. Is there any real differences between the OG Game Boy and the Game Boy Pocket apart from size?

Not much I think, Except the big one uses 4 AA batteries and the Pocket only uses 2.

Personally I'd take a OG one just because it's the OG stuff.

You should use the GBASP, it can play GB games easily.

JulianImp

2 copies of Gold? Simply beautiful.

The worn copies of Gold and Silver I bought pre-owned for my cousins when I got the GBA (since I lent them the GBP and GBC), and I finally got them back some years ago when they told me they had all but stopped playing and both games's save batteries had died. They really played the games to death, restarting their saves and doing all kinds of fun stuff I missed since I didn't have a sibling I could play Pokémon with. I do remember spotting a guy with a GBA back when I was studying for the entrance exam to a prestigious high school, and using Mystery Gift with him a few times; he was the only person I ever met in Argentina that had a GBC, actually.

The last time I tried to play through my copy of Gold about two or three years ago, its save battery had also died; however, I found I could still play with the game and save by using my GameShark's save state function, but then it wouldn't save my boxed pokémon since those are stored outside the RAM which is what the GameShark stores in its save states, so I could never deposit anything without it becoming a corrupted mess. I guess I could attempt one of those "if your pokémon faint, release them immediately" challenges with it later on.

I also have three decorative pins that came with my copy of Gold alongside a Nintendo Power renewal my dad had made a long time ago. The pins depict Ho-oh, Pikachu and Bellosom pins and are still inside the pokéball plastic things they originally came in. I might take some pictures if I come across them since I think I know where they might be.

That Gameshark business sounds like a total hassle. Why not replace the battery and enjoy all the functionality of the game if you plan on playing it again?

Gameboy415

I'd go with a GBASP+ or Game Boy Player if you have a GameCube.
You won't have to worry about any external lighting sources and, in my opinion, games look utterly fantastic on the backlit GBASP screen.
Plus you'll have 100% compatibility with all GB, GBC, & GBA games (except maybe the motion-controlled games on the GB Player, haha).

As for differences between the OG Game Boy & Game Boy Pocket, the main difference (other than size, as you already noted) would be the screen.
The OG Game Boy had what's commonly referred to as a "pea soup" color scheme - the screen is a greenish-yellow color and the games' graphics are rendered in a darker shade of green/gray.
Game Boy Pocket, on the other hand, has a black and white screen and many games look a lot better as a result.

Reclaimer

Game Boy Player has timing inconsistencies with actual Game Boy hardware I'm afraid.

I've heard that before, but never got any good examples. What should I be looking for?

Edit:
Google tells me it's more of a rumor, and the Gamecube player is accurate. You may be thinking of the SNES Super Game Boy, which indeed runs 2% faster than Original Game Boy hardware.

JulianImp

That Gameshark business sounds like a total hassle. Why not replace the battery and enjoy all the functionality of the game if you plan on playing it again?

I would, if only I had the available tools to get a fresh battery, unscrew the cartridge, replace the abttery and still have it work (I think I heard you have to solder it or something like that).

I wonder how long it will be before my Red Version's battery dies... it's going to be one sad day for me when it finally stops working and I boot the game up to get the dreaded "New Game / Options" screen.

By the way, I'd really want to recommend Pokémon Trading Card Game for those who care about card games. I especially liked the sountrack, and I was really bummed when I learned there was a PTCG2, but Nintendo never released it outside of Japan. Does anyone know how hard would it be to get my hands on a copy, even if it's been used before? (it should play fine on my NA systems, right?)

I've heard that before, but never got any good examples. What should I be looking for?

Edit:
Google tells me it's more of a rumor, and the Gamecube player is accurate. You may be thinking of the SNES Super Game Boy, which indeed runs 2% faster than Original Game Boy hardware.

No, speed and refresh rate are definitely issues with the Game Boy Player. It affect some games more than others. The Atari collection for example has crushing showdown on GBPlayer, but no such issues on actual hardware.

I would, if only I had the available tools to get a fresh battery, unscrew the cartridge, replace the abttery and still have it work (I think I heard you have to solder it or something like that).

I wonder how long it will be before my Red Version's battery dies... it's going to be one sad day for me when it finally stops working and I boot the game up to get the dreaded "New Game / Options" screen.

By the way, I'd really want to recommend Pokémon Trading Card Game for those who care about card games. I especially liked the sountrack, and I was really bummed when I learned there was a PTCG2, but Nintendo never released it outside of Japan. Does anyone know how hard would it be to get my hands on a copy, even if it's been used before? (it should play fine on my NA systems, right?)
You don't necessarily have to solder it on (i've heard take works) but you'll have to de-solder the old bad battery off for sure :/
I have an InterAct Memory Manager and a Flashcart that I used in combination to conserve my Pokemon Red save. Copied the SRAM save to my memory manager, copied that save from the memory manager to my flash cart, and got the save from my flashcard to my PC through USB.

Reclaimer

No, speed and refresh rate are definitely issues with the Game Boy Player. It affect some games more than others. The Atari collection for example has crushing showdown on GBPlayer, but no such issues on actual hardware.

Any other examples? Not trying to put you on the spot, but I've really only experienced (and read from others) positive things about the Game Boy Player.... And I keep hearing people say there are systematic "timing" issues... But it's all sounding like placebo rumors at this point with no proof.

Sure, an EXTREMELY small amount of lag is added by using a controller with a cord instead of playing directly on the GBA. And of course if your TV setup has bad input lag, that would effect your perception as well. And don't forget how weird it can feel to see something like Mario Land on a big screen, after a decade or more playing it on the small game boy hardware.

But with a good low-lag setup, in my experience the Game Boy Player has been awesome. (US NTSC via digital av out, XRGB mini, panny plasma)

Edit:
I play on a CRT lol

Sure, that's about as low display lag as you can get, but still doesn't mean that there's an issue with the Game Boy Player. :)

I just tried a bunch of games on my SP and Gameboy Player, and I did not have any lag on any of them. If there is lag, most people would never notice it.

womp

You don't necessarily have to solder it on (i've heard take works) but you'll have to de-solder the old bad battery off for sure :/
I have an InterAct Memory Manager and a Flashcart that I used in combination to conserve my Pokemon Red save. Copied the SRAM save to my memory manager, copied that save from the memory manager to my flash cart, and got the save from my flashcard to my PC through USB.

No soldering required whatsoever. Just very gently pry the prong connection off the battery *without damaging it*, and breaking the existing solder that is there. Then, insert a new battery into place, pressing the connector firmly on top of it to make contact...finished off with a nice firmly placed piece of black electrical tape to hold it down.

Here is a write up I did when I replaced the batteries in my Donkey Kong and Kirby BlockBall carts...

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=55534588&postcount=579

JulianImp

No soldering required whatsoever. Just very gently pry the prong connection off the battery *without damaging it*, and breaking the existing solder that is there. Then, insert a new battery into place, pressing the connector firmly on top of it to make contact...finished off with a nice firmly placed piece of black electrical tape to hold it down.

Here is a write up I did when I replaced the batteries in my Donkey Kong and Kirby BlockBall carts...

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=55534588&postcount=579

Woah, that's some great news! I also thought the battery was some kind of model you couldn't get just about enywhere as well, and I'm glad to see it isn't the case.

By the way, wat was that about copying the save? I guess the hardware required is now too rare to get my hands on, though, even more so since I live in Argentina.

D

Deleted member 125677

Unconfirmed Member
Won an auction for this, can anyone confirm that this looks like a legit copy?

$T2eC16ZHJHwE9n8ii1NbBRkUhpwYjQ~~60_12.JPG

IrishNinja

aw, GBA player has some input lag? disappointing, i hope i don't notice it much

what's a good price for a NES edition SP? was debating getting one later for 4 swords/crystal chronicles etc since some friends are doing likewise

D

Deleted member 125677

Unconfirmed Member
If the price looks too good to be true, and it's on ebay, I'd avoid it like the plague.

Ebay is so riddled with pirated GBA carts it's not even funny.

I won it for £20 from a UK bloke

I bought a $5 Aria of Sorrow from China one time. Needless to say how that turned out. Got a refund though.

MadmanUK

Fakes aren't usually the Euro versions like that one. Just peer into the bottom and you should see the Nintendo logo printed on the pcb.

Picked up Zero Mission CIB for $30. Won't beat my $4 Fusion deal, but I'm satisfied!
I recently also found a loose Breath of Fire for $2.50. It's my only loose GBA game, but I wasn't going to pass it up at that price.

Grief.exe

How is Fire Emblem for the GBA?

I haven't played the 3DS version yet, but I really enjoy titles like XCOM, Advance Wars, FFT, etc.

I was thinking about going in on this one last night, the bid was at $25 with 30 seconds left. (I know this is the second one by the way).

http://www.ebay.com/itm/171040430527?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2649

Do these look fake to you? Both carts look very fake to me, from the wrong picture to a stretched image. http://www.ebay.com/itm/LOT-OF-2-Ga...4346?pt=Video_Games_Games&hash=item565635f5ba

Miker

How is Fire Emblem for the GBA?

I haven't played the 3DS version yet, but I really enjoy titles like XCOM, Advance Wars, FFT, etc.

I was thinking about going in on this one last night, the bid was at $25 with 30 seconds left. (I know this is the second one by the way).

http://www.ebay.com/itm/171040430527?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2649

Do these look fake to you? http://www.ebay.com/itm/LOT-OF-2-Ga...4346?pt=Video_Games_Games&hash=item565635f5ba

FE7 (just plain Fire Emblem) is regarded as a true classic. FE8 Sacred Stones less so, but it's still enjoyable. If you like Advance Wars, then you'll love Fire Emblem, because they're made by the same devs and just really similar in a number of ways.

canocha

I won it for £20 from a UK bloke

I bought a $5 Aria of Sorrow from China one time. Needless to say how that turned out. Got a refund though.

If my eyes are not deceiving me i can see an imprinted number just above the Nintendo seal of quality. My cart looks just like that

I think you're safe!

Parallacs

GBA SP 101
Golden Sun
Pokemon Yellow
Lunar Ranger

$60

how does that sound?

Fantastic in my opinion. I wouldn't even criticize someone buying an AGS-101 alone for $60 if it is in good condition.

Won an auction for this, can anyone confirm that this looks like a legit copy?

$T2eC16ZHJHwE9n8ii1NbBRkUhpwYjQ~~60_12.JPG

Sorry I am late on this, but that label looks seriously mis-alligned (see the bottom edge). That is my favorite way of telling legit from fake. No human hand can apply a label perfectly like a machine can.

Grief.exe

Fantastic in my opinion. I wouldn't even criticize someone buying an AGS-101 alone for $60 if it is in good condition.

From the picture he just sent, it looks like its in mediocre condition.

I am looking for Golden Sun though, the other games are just a bonus.

EDIT: He doesn't have a charger, coupled with the condition of the unit, I think I will pass.

From the picture he just sent, it looks like its in mediocre condition.

I am looking for Golden Sun though, the other games are just a bonus.

EDIT: He doesn't have a charger, coupled with the condition of the unit, I think I will pass.

Try bargaining with him. Send a counter-offer and let him know the lack of a charger diminishes the value.

Dash Kappei

Not actually that important
Sorry I am late on this, but that label looks seriously mis-alligned (see the bottom edge). That is my favorite way of telling legit from fake. No human hand can apply a label perfectly like a machine can.

Nah, my Japanese Zero Mission (bought at launch from Play Asia) is even worse than his EU copy and it's legit. Came across plenty of legit carts where labels were as misaligned as that one.

plc268

Nah, my Japanese Zero Mission (bought at launch from Play Asia) is even worse than his EU copy and it's legit. Came across plenty of legit carts where labels were as misaligned as that one.

Yep, I can confirm. I have a bunch of legit games that are misaligned as well.

Parallacs

Interesting. I have never heard of or seen a legit GBA game with a misaligned label.

The point still stands that bootleggers are unable to line up labels. There are enough real carts out there for no one to need to bid on a cart with a label messed up like that.

Grief.exe

Try bargaining with him. Send a counter-offer and let him know the lack of a charger diminishes the value.

Yep...his original asking price:

$140

I might counter offer him again tomorrow, I already laid the ground work for it.

I don't need a perfect GBA SP since I already have a Micro. This is really for GBC/GB games.

Sonuvabitch. I traded for some GBA games (one of which - Tactics Ogre - I've been looking to get for a while) on CAG and think I got scammed. Bastard. :(

D

Deleted member 125677

Unconfirmed Member
If my eyes are not deceiving me i can see an imprinted number just above the Nintendo seal of quality. My cart looks just like that

I think you're safe!

£20 for cart only? Seems a lot...

Yeah, but I've been looking for this for some time, and this seem to be around what it goes for. Much harder to find copies of this than Fusion..

Hope you guys are right and that it's the real thing

Top Bottom