• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GB/GBC/GBA Collecting Thread

I'm probably going to pick these up from someone on a local trading site.

Final Fantasy V Advance
Final Fantasy VI Advance
Fire Emblem Sacred Stones
Super Mario Advance
Super Mario Advance 2
Super Mario Advance 4
Super Mario NES Series
Tactics Ogre

All complete in box for $180 CDN.

First, is this a good deal? I've talked him down to that price.

Second, what's a quick way to look to see if they're counterfeit, just in case?

Het_Nkik

Got into Game Boy collecting recently and bought a bunch of stuff on eBay. These came in today:

BKQ3WlICEAIlEWu_zps4d770ffb.jpeg

I also recently picked up boxed copies of Toki Tori (GBC), SML3: Wario Land, and a blue Game Boy Camera.

Dammit, Chris. My SML2 is the Player's Choice version. I'll trade you.

drizzle

Axel Hertz
I'm not sure that is true at all. Unless they sell pirated shit, in fact I had a mod tell me where to buy my EZ IV back in the day. What does the TOS says? But whatever, contact me by pm.

That's why I said "I think".

I rather be wrong about that than the alternative.. :D

Teknoman

I'm probably going to pick these up from someone on a local trading site.

Final Fantasy V Advance
Final Fantasy VI Advance
Fire Emblem Sacred Stones
Super Mario Advance
Super Mario Advance 2
Super Mario Advance 4
Super Mario NES Series
Tactics Ogre

All complete in box for $180 CDN.

First, is this a good deal? I've talked him down to that price.

Second, what's a quick way to look to see if they're counterfeit, just in case?

Check the ESRB logo (if its too dark/bold looking = fake)
Check for the engraved numbers on the right side of the label ( no numbers = fake)
Know how the actual labels of the games look.

Then again, I dont think i've ever seen any pirate games that come with their own box.

Went to buy cigarettes, 5 minutes later (not even kidding) the window of my car was smashed and the backpack gone. I never, ever leave stuff, visible, in my car... But wtf 5 minutes, and in my hometown which is not like a criminal hub or something. Meh. Went to the police but there's basically zero chance to get my stuff back.

Ouch...and the worst part is that no one ever sees anything.

I got my EZ Flash IV from <removed>. Arrived reasonably quickly, and it works fine in my GBA SP.
Keep in mind you'll need to use a Windows only program to load ROMs onto the device and apply the various patches to allow the flash cart to save games and the like.

Also it takes 'miniSD', NOT microSD.

emb

Then again, I dont think i've ever seen any pirate games that come with their own box.

I picked up a box of GBA games, mostly CIB at a yard sale a while back. I assumed they were all legit for that reason, but the copy of Super Mario Advance 4 was a really bad, obvious pirate cart (and one that didn't even work). Probably just a swap in from another, legit copy... but it can happen when you're buying second hand I guess.

Mzo

Next thing you know you'll be selling all your player's choice boxed games for original run boxed games. It's a slippery slope you're on...

Do it, reissues are gross.

I've seen some fake boxed GBA games at the local flea markets. They usually have a glossier cardboard stock, a slightly blurry image, and the insides look like the Chain of Memories GBA box, which means that the part that holds the cart is a folded bit of the box and not the white insert with a GBA game shaped hole that you usually see. They look kind of off in general.

Silex

I got my EZ Flash IV from redhotstuff.hk. Arrived reasonably quickly, and it works fine in my GBA SP.
Keep in mind you'll need to use a Windows only program to load ROMs onto the device and apply the various patches to allow the flash cart to save games and the like.

Also it takes 'miniSD', NOT microSD.

Oh, so they shipped eventually? Kept reading that people waited for months and they didn't send.
Kind of want it too now..

^
Yeah, it was a couple of weeks before it arrived (which is pretty regular for stuff from Hong Kong) but it did arrive eventually.

Heh, they definitely did. I unknowingly bought a copy of Minish Cap from eBay which turned out to be a pirate cart. It came flat packed with instructions on how to fold out the box.

Parallacs

No feedback? He has 264 and 100% positive. Also, his other items show a couple other backlit Game Boys.

http://www.ebay.com/sch/hrnndelvis/...h=item2ec7ee90ca&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2562

I'd probably snap one up if it weren't a colored backlight.

He has 264 buyer feedback, not seller feedback. That means he has bought 264 things on eBay. You always get possitive feedback as a buyer.

These backlight pockets are the first things he has ever sold on eBay. I was just trying to warn him that no one else has had a chance to comment on his skill. They could be great or terrible. It is risky though.

Silex

^
Yeah, it was a couple of weeks before it arrived (which is pretty regular for stuff from Hong Kong) but it did arrive eventually.

Heh, they definitely did. I unknowingly bought a copy of Minish Cap from eBay which turned out to be a pirate cart. It came flat packed with instructions on how to fold out the box.

Well it's OOS now. Supposedly their stock ended today. Guess I'll keep an eye now for when it's back on.

Got mine from dealextreme. Free shipping worldwide, came in about 10 days.

I don't see it for sale there now. I also noticed no one recommended them on gbatemp.net (I checked there when searching for a flash cart, seems like a good site)... Any chance you got a fake one?

Coldsnap

Finally got a Gameboy Advance SP. I was obsesed with this console as a kid and wanted one for nostalgia purpose. I will slowly build out my GBA collection again. My local pawn shop has a few AGS 101, most are beat to hell though, this one had an immaculate screen.

WP_20130516_002_zps9d0665ca.jpg

Danny Dudekisser

I paid good money for this Dynex!
So like... I wanna play some GBA games, and I haven't been able to for years, because I don't have a GBA and I got rid of my old DSes that supported GBA games. Predicament!

So what's the best GBA system to get, particularly if I want to hook the thing up to my TV? I know the SP is supposed to be the best if you're just playing the system normally, but I always liked design of the OG GBA, so I'm kinda hoping that's the easiest to wire for TV out. And what's the best way to implement TV out?

So like... I wanna play some GBA games, and I haven't been able to for years, because I don't have a GBA and I got rid of my old DSes that supported GBA games. Predicament!

So what's the best GBA system to get, particularly if I want to hook the thing up to my TV? I know the SP is supposed to be the best if you're just playing the system normally, but I always liked design of the OG GBA, so I'm kinda hoping that's the easiest to wire for TV out. And what's the best way to implement TV out?

Well if you have a gamecube, probably the game boy player.

There are some third-party devices from that allow you to output to a TV without modding a GBA check them Hong Kong sites. That's an option, but the best you're gonna do is composite. Game Boy Player is a nice one and I know you have them component cables so the colors are going to look great.

Danny Dudekisser

I paid good money for this Dynex!
There are some third-party devices from that allow you to output to a TV without modding a GBA check them Hong Kong sites. That's an option, but the best you're gonna do is composite. Game Boy Player is a nice one and I know you have them component cables so the colors are going to look great.

Hmm... composite's bad enough that I'd probably rather just play on the system itself. Honestly, I think the only real "solution" would be something that lets me do either component or scart.

Dash Kappei

Not actually that important
Well it's OOS now. Supposedly their stock ended today. Guess I'll keep an eye now for when it's back on.

I don't see it for sale there now. I also noticed no one recommended them on gbatemp.net (I checked there when searching for a flash cart, seems like a good site)... Any chance you got a fake one?

Nope it's legit, got it 2+ years ago. Fits the Micro like a glove (doesn't stick out) and dealextreme was the place to go and recommended constantly on gba temp back then. But going on their site now it seems they don't sell ANY flash cart anymore,

Roge_NES

Got this one at the flea market for $15. :D I don't know a lot about Pokemon, is this one rare? The lady had another one that has Pikachu and Pichu but I was out of cash. I might go this weekend and see if she still has it.

e172892ebb5e11e2852722000a1fbd42_7.jpg

Playing Metroid Fusion for the first time. I just
freed the critters from zebes. This game is tugging at the nostalgia strings lol.

There's exclusive crossover content with Metroid Prime, right?

IrishNinja

just ordered an EZ flashcart IV for my GBA player (GC) & was thinking...was there much of a homebrew community for GBA at all?

Grief.exe

freed the critters from zebes. This game is tugging at the nostalgia strings lol.

I just beat that game a couple weeks ago actually, great game.

Not much IIRC... I think you can get the Fusion suit in Prime, maybe some extra gallery images, that's about it.
I think Zero Mission allows you to unlock the original NES game and extra gallery images.

Peagles

Not much IIRC... I think you can get the Fusion suit in Prime, maybe some extra gallery images, that's about it.
I think Zero Mission allows you to unlock the original NES game and extra gallery images.

Hmm, back in the day we unlocked the original NES game with Fusion!

What are they asking for a beat to hell ags 101? I'm looking to take the front light out of one to light my gameboy color.

I think you need an 001 for that actually.

baphomet

Finally got a Gameboy Advance SP. I was obsesed with this console as a kid and wanted one for nostalgia purpose. I will slowly build out my GBA collection again. My local pawn shop has a few AGS 101, most are beat to hell though, this one had an immaculate screen.

WP_20130516_002_zps9d0665ca.jpg

What are they asking for a beat to hell ags 101? I'm looking to take the front light out of one to light my gameboy color.

drizzle

Axel Hertz
just ordered an EZ flashcart IV for my GBA player (GC) & was thinking...was there much of a homebrew community for GBA at all?

Edit: ah, screw it. I don't think I'll get into trouble for linking to emulators.

A bunch of system emulators (PCEngine, SMS, Game Gear, ZX Spectrum, MSX, NES, Neo Geo, Colecovision, among others..), all made by Flubba: http://www.ndsretro.com/gbadown.html
The Crown Jewel of GBA Homebrew: Goomba Color, by Dwedit (based on Goomba). A GB/GBC emulator with a shitload of features, including support for official SuperGameBoy borders and much more: http://www.dwedit.org/gba/goombacolor.php

Edit2 : People would argue that a GB/GBC emulator for the GBA is stupid (like I did back when it came out... silly me), since the GBA could play original GB/GBC games. Except only the original one (and the SP, I believe?) could. The Micro and, more importantly, the DS didn't. A really good GB/GBC emu for the DS never came to fruition - Running LameBoy natively on the DS still has a worse performance, less compatibility and less features than running Gooma Color in GBA mode on the DS.

IrishNinja

you're a good man, drizzle
said cart was about $35, few bucks more for the 2GB sd since i'm lazy...free overseas shipping though, so we'll likely be done with E3 long before it gets here, which helps space the backlog out a bit

Haibane

Aside from the emulators, there were also a lot of neat little demos and stuff, and a few full fledged games, a great Bust-A-Move clone/port. Also tools for things like reading books/text, watching images/video, and listening to audio.

Also, I'm not 100% sure about EZ flash IV, but some flash cards can also play dumps of games that were sent over the link cable from the gamecube to gba ram. Sega had a lot of these that you can dump from their gc games, including a minimal version of NiGHTS into Dreams.

drizzle

Axel Hertz
Aside from the emulators, there were also a lot of neat little demos and stuff, and a few full fledged games, a great Bust-A-Move clone/port. Also tools for things like reading books/text, watching images/video, and listening to audio.
Weren't most of those just Plugins for Pogoshell, a "file browser" for GBA flashcarts? IIRC, it only works on NOR-based flashcarts, which the EZ-Flash 4 is not one of. I wonder if anything eventually replaced it...

Also, I'm not 100% sure about EZ flash IV, but some flash cards can also play dumps of games that were sent over the link cable from the gamecube to gba ram. Sega had a lot of these that you can dump from their gc games, including a minimal version of NiGHTS into Dreams.

I think those little GameCube demos were all eventually dumped and patched to work as regular roms.

Damn, I completely forgot about those. Nights was pretty awesome: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fANbiRqft9M

Haibane

Weren't most of those just Plugins for Pogoshell (a "rom loader" for GBA roms)? IIRC, PogoShell stopped working after a while. I wonder if anything replaced it eventually?
There were standalone software for doing all of those things too, if I recall correctly. It was just easier using pogoshell and plugins, since with individual tools you have to build a separate rom for each file type you want to view/play. Pogoshell still works just fine if you can find a flash card that supports it (mainly the F2A cards.)

And yes, the Nights port was pretty sweet, especially since that game wasn't available on GBA in any other iteration.

womp

We had a neighborhood wide yard sale today, so around lunch time while my wife minded the table on her own for a bit I wandered around to check out other people's tables and found these....

GBA SP 101 with the backlit screen for $10 and a copy of Pokemon Crystal for $2. $12 total - No brainer. It has been 'used' around the edges, but the screen and buttons are perfect.

Came home, a little alcohol rub and viola! No more sharpie! :)

Save is corrupted but a simple battery replacement will fix that. Shame I was never big into Pokemon (I was in my 20's when the craze hit back in the 90's) but I know a good deal when I see one and it'll make a nice addition to my collection.

Unfortunately, no NES carts to be found. :(

womp

I hate everybody that gets an AGS-101 for 10 bucks.

I'm never getting that. EVER.

No worries...I hunkered down and paid $40 for a pearl pink one from a gaming store a year ago (Beautiful condition) after wanting one for so long. I've been there and rarely find these kinds of deals. :|

D-e-f-

Banned

Zero Mission unlocks NES Metroid on its own cart without any connectivity features after beating the game.

Hmm, back in the day we unlocked the original NES game with Fusion!

Fusion unlocks NES Metroid in Metroid Prime. You can also unlock the Fusion suit for Metroid Prime.

details: http://www.metroid-database.com/mp/tips.php

---

My Game Boy family collection:

I stored them in a big box until last week when I took the pictures. I think I kinda messed up some of the boxes this way, some of them were in way better condition without any dents last time I checked :(

I now put them on my shelf in fear of damaging them further by leaving them in a box, stacked vertically.

cafemomo

My Game Boy family collection:

Looking at that FFIV & VI is box is making me sad.
Why did I have to loose them.

Anyway, I will get another copy of them soon (hopefully next month), but the prices are so high on Amazon and on eBay (from $40 up)

Anyway, this is my small collection. I used to have more, but I lost them, sold them or gave some to friends and family.

Yes, I do have four copies of Sapphire, it's a long story

D-e-f-

Banned
Looking at that FFIV & VI is box is making me sad.
Why did I have to loose them.

Anyway, I will get another copy of them soon (hopefully next month), but the prices are so high on Amazon and on eBay (from $40 up)

I can make you even sadder: three years or so ago, I was digging through the bargain bin of a local electronics store that also sold video games. They still had some GBA games in there. Like two sealed copies of FFVIA. For 10 Euros. I think I sold them for around 40 EUR each on eBay. Felt like finding a bunch of money on the street :)

If I'm not mistaken both got bought by the same person in Brazil or something crazy far away lol.

Grief.exe

Just letting you guys know this.

I found this Amazon seller called Game Dynasty. They were selling 100 DS cases for $80, I emailed them and asked if they could sell 25 for $20 since I had no use for 100 cases.

They emailed me back letting me know of the new listing, but by the time they responded I had already picked some up.

So if you need some cases for your collection, this is the place.

They are the official cases as well, not the cheap knockoffs or the new ones without the GBA slot.

25 authentic Nintendo DS used empty cases with Nintendo logo on the inside of the individual case, no stickers on case! This is not the generic replacement.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0039ZWQQY/?tag=neogaf0e-20

Top Bottom