• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GB/GBC/GBA Collecting Thread

Sol1dus

I found my old gameboy color and my copy of Kirby Tilt and Tumble. It still has my save file from ~13/14 years ago on it.

plc268

I found my old gameboy color and my copy of Kirby Tilt and Tumble. It still has my save file from ~13/14 years ago on it.

Well.... Tilt and Tumble doesn't use a battery to save, so it should stay on there much longer than any other save file.

This is the GameBoy collection, that I have with me at least. A lot of the GBA games have boxes/manuals, and I have a few other GBAs and a few GBCs.
i5Ri2NlfAkpAv.jpg

If it's difficult to make out, here's the list.

The Road to El Dorado
Super Mario Land 2
Crazy Castle 3
Alleyway
SML3: Wario Land
Metroid 2
Rugrats: Something
Pokemon Yellow
Rayman
Super Mario Bros Deluxe
Donkey Kong Land 2
Donkey Kong Land 3
Pokemon Gold
Zelda: Oracle of Seasons
Zelda Oracle of Ages
Zelda: Link's Awakening
Tetris
Antz
Kirby's Pinball Land
Battletoads
Croc
Kirby's Dream Land
Kirby's Dream Land 2
The Emperor's New Groove
Pokemon Leaf Green
Pokemon Sapphire
Pokemon FireRed
Metroid Zero Mission
Metroid Fusion
Advance Wars
Castlevania Double Pack
Dragonball Z: Legacy of Goku 2

I'm pretty happy with my collection, could do with some more GBA games though. I pretty much mained Pokemon throughout most of the GBA's lifespan.

Morfeo

The Chuck Norris of Peace
Just beat Oracle of Seaons today, and started replaying Oracle of Ages. Silly me did Ages first as i figured it wouldnt matter, and as a sucker im doing it again JUST for that extra boss fight. Nintendo seriously DO have the most crazy fans.

Het_Nkik

Just beat Oracle of Seaons today, and started replaying Oracle of Ages. Silly me did Ages first as i figured it wouldnt matter, and as a sucker im doing it again JUST for that extra boss fight. Nintendo seriously DO have the most crazy fans.

I'm pretty sure it doesn't matter which order you play them in; that last boss fight should appear in whichever game you play second as long as you linked 'em properly.

The only reason to play the games twice is if you're OCD like me and need all the Hearts on your save files.

Morfeo

I'm pretty sure it doesn't matter which order you play them in; that last boss fight should appear in whichever game you play second as long as you linked 'em properly.

The only reason to play the games twice is if you're OCD like me and need all the Hearts on your save files.

Yeah, I found out eventually, but you need to enter the code when you start the new game, so its to late anyways. Already at the third dungeon!

womp

So I picked up Monster Rancher Explorer for Gameboy Color after someone had suggested it here. It's a puzzle game in the same style as Solomon's Key, where you can break and build blocks as you work your way to the key and exit.

TVvmLiZ.gif

Cute graphics, looks good on the GBA SP screen, and the levels seem well designed, and there's 60 of 'em.

You are a good man. Game is awesome. I have suggested it a few times on GAF. :p

Because we got a few sunny days in the UK (of course they are over) My 3DS screen was useless on the train, so I decided to get a GB Pocket and then a GBA SP, nothing fancy.

I am having a Blast, I have Super Mario Land, Donkey Kong, Molemania and Kirby Dreamland.
I got them all on ebay, all withouth instruction boxart
I am not into collectionism at all, just pure retro frugal fun.

I was wondering.
What is the best way to play Game Boy Games. Pocket GB, Game Boy Color or GBA SP?
What is the best way to play Game Boy Color Games. Game Boy Color or GBA SP?
What is the best way to play Game Boy Advance Games. GBA SP or NDS?

Because we got a few sunny days in the UK (of course they are over) My 3DS screen was useless on the train, so I decided to get a GB Pocket and then a GBA SP, nothing fancy.

I am having a Blast, I have Super Mario Land, Donkey Kong, Molemania and Kirby Dreamland.
I am not into collection at all, just pure retro frugal fun.

I was wondering.
What is the best way to play Game Boy Games. Pocket GB, Game Boy Color or GBA SP?
What is the best way to play Game Boy Color Games. Game Boy Color or GBA SP?
What is the best way to play Game Boy Advance Games. GBA SP or NDS?

I'd suggest the AGS-101 (backlit) SP for all Game Boy games. It definitely has the best screen for any lighting situation.

baphomet

Won an auction last night for Mario's Picross 1, Mario's Picross 2, and Dr. Mario for $3.75. Pretty stoked about that because I've never played the 2nd Picross game.

drizzle

Axel Hertz
Won an auction last night for Mario's Picross 1, Mario's Picross 2, and Dr. Mario for $3.75. Pretty stoked about that because I've never played the 2nd Picross game.

I'm pretty sure all those puzzles are available for free on Picross DS. You just have to go online and download them.

baphomet

I'm pretty sure all those puzzles are available for free on Picross DS. You just have to go online and download them.

I got them to actually play on my DMG Gameboy. I actually just finished it a few moments ago. I did the pro sound RCA jacks at the top, the pro sound 1/8th inch jack at the bottom, Pumpkin v4 envy backlight, and a bivert chip with the polarizing film rotated for the excellent contrast. Thing is awesome.

I also have a question. I ordered this to start using LSDJ. Are you able to flash other backups to this?

John Blade

New buys. Konami style.

Hope you like those games as they're good games to play.

Nothing much right now but manage to get a game bundle for 30 dollars.
Original GBA
advance war 2
fire emblem
super Mario world advance 2
Namco museum
pokemon pinball
kirby dreal land 2

Kinda not a bad deal I have to say.

Hope you like those games as they're good games to play.

Nothing much right now but manage to get a game bundle for 30 dollars.
Original GBA
advance war 2
fire emblem
super Mario world advance 2
Namco museum
pokemon pinball
kirby dreal land 2

Kinda not a bad deal I have to say.

I wanna get into the fire emblem games now that I have a GBA. Is there just 1 game for the GBA?

Het_Nkik

Dream Land 2 is still my favorite Kirby game. It's one of those games that surprised me by one-upping its NES predecessor, same way Metroid II and Kid Icarus 2 did for me.

If I remember, they is 3 Fire Emblem that came out on the GBA. Only 2 release in North America and Europe.

Yeah, 6, 7, and 8 are on GBA but only 7 and 8 got western releases. 7 is just titled "Fire Emblem" in English and 8 "Fire Emblem: The Sacred Stones."

I also have a question. I ordered this to start using LSDJ. Are you able to flash other backups to this?
Yeah. You can even have a menu to choose between multiple ones. Be aware though, you can only have one save file at once. Each save will overwrite the last one regardless of which game it is. If you choose to backup your library to it, I'd suggest putting only password function games on it so you don't accidentally overwrite your LSDJ compositions.

baphomet

Yeah. You can even have a menu to choose between multiple ones. Be aware though, you can only have one save file at once. Each save will overwrite the last one regardless of which game it is. If you choose to backup your library to it, I'd suggest putting only password function games on it so you don't accidentally overwrite your LSDJ compositions.

Alright awesome. Thanks for the heads up about the saves as well.

Dash Kappei

Not actually that important
Two new pick-ups, both New CiB.
I've gone for the German version of Shining Force because it was half the price and new, but the game has english in it as well I hope? Anybody knows?

SRW:OG I think I've made a great deal, €13 shipped. Can't find the second one for a similar price tho..

eN77cgL.jpg

Teknoman

Im happy with my 101 SP, but you guys are really making me want to find a cheap original GBA and get it modded.

How is the screen difference compared to the backlit SP? I know the layout itself feels better, since its not as cramped.

mattiewheels

And then the LORD David Bowie saith to his Son, Jonny Depp: 'Go, and spread my image amongst the cosmos. For every living thing is in anguish and only the LIGHT shall give them reprieve.'
I got them to actually play on my DMG Gameboy. I actually just finished it a few moments ago. I did the pro sound RCA jacks at the top, the pro sound 1/8th inch jack at the bottom, Pumpkin v4 envy backlight, and a bivert chip with the polarizing film rotated for the excellent contrast. Thing is awesome.

Awesome, I wonder how nicer the contrast on the V4 is compared to my V3...so the bucket chip is something that gives extra contrast boost?

Blurring when playing side scrollers makes me think that the Micro has a faster screen response time than the DS Lite. Which kind of surprises me.

How does the DMG-101 fare in this respect?

IIRC the 101 screen is a LOT like the DS Phat, right?

I assume you mean AGS and not DMG? It's what you'd expect from cheap mid-2000s LCD tech. There is slight ghosting.

If you did mean DMG then well, it's blur city. That 1989 LCD tech leaves much to be desired.

No my bad I meant AGS. I was surprised that my DS Lite ghosts more than a Micro, since the Micro was released a few months earlier.

Het_Nkik

I couldn't resist the purple SP. It should be in my hands in a couple days, I'll let you guys know if it's good or not, if anyone is interested.

I'm definitely interested. I've actually had that same purple one on my watch list since the link went up. So yeah, let us know how it is.

baphomet

Awesome, I wonder how nicer the contrast on the V4 is compared to my V3...so the bucket chip is something that gives extra contrast boost?

I wouldn't think the contrast between the two would be much of a difference, but I don't know for certain. The bivert chip basically makes all the whites black and blacks white. Then you rotate your polarizing film under the backlight 90 degrees and it corrects the colors. That made a huge difference compared to just having the backlight in there. It wasn't too difficult to install for me and I'm more or less a beginner. It's 6 wires and you cut 2 traces of the board. Then it's just getting it to fit in there which would have been cake if I hadn't put the RCA jacks where they are. 2 of the solder points are pretty small, but if you're confident after looking at a few tutorials online I'd say go for it. The donkey kong picture I posted is more representative of the contrast than the metroid picture. Plus it was like $2.00 for the chip.

Dash Kappei

I wish I could find Fire Emblem GBA for a decent price... sucks that even for the ambassador games on 3DS they picked Sacred Stones

Morfeo

Just did beat Oracle of Ages and the extra bosses in the end:

Twinrova and Ganon

Awesome games, but i must say that i really dislike having to manually change cartridges and enter codes all the time, just to get extra stuff and the real ending. Also, those last bosses were seriously easy when you just knew what do to. So was it worth to replay the games just for the secret ending? Hell no! I guess I'm just a sucker for the complete Zelda-experience!

Teknoman

Do you guys think anyone would want to trade any of the Castlevania trio for Kirby and the Amazing Mirror and Samurai Deeper Kyo? Thinking about giving it a shot on Nintendoage.

Dash Kappei

Had my backpack stolen (@_@)
inside there was my DS Lite, Super SF2 GBA, Super Puzzle Fighters GBA, Advance Wars 2, Pokemon Ruby, Metroid Zero Mission. Spyro Eternal Night, Aladdin, Super G'nG and probably another game or two but I can't put my finger on which ones atm. All of them were CiB and in great/good conditions.

Fuck.

(>_<)

drizzle

Axel Hertz
inside there was my DS Lite, Super SF2 GBA, Super Puzzle Fighters GBA, Advance Wars 2, Pokemon Ruby, Metroid Zero Mission. Spyro Eternal Night, Aladdin, Super G'nG and probably another game or two but I can't put my finger on which ones atm. All of them were CiB and in great/good conditions.

Fuck.

(>_<)

Wait, you kept the box/manuals in your bag?
If not, just re-buy the games. Still, feels bad bro. :(

I know it's frowned upon, but specially because of things like this (getting your shit stolen or literally losing carts), I think that everybody into portable gaming should get a flash cart and instead of using their collection carts, just flash the games you own and keep one cart.

If you lose/gets stolen, who cares, you still have the original carts and flashcarts are so cheap nowadays...

Borman

I know it's frowned upon, but specially because of things like this (getting your shit stolen or literally losing carts), I think that everybody into portable gaming should get a flash cart and instead of using their collection carts, just flash the games you own and keep one cart.

If you lose/gets stolen, who cares, you still have the original carts and flashcarts are so cheap nowadays...

Eh I tend to agree. Although more people should be looking at devices to back up their carts instead of using it as an excuse to download the rom. An extra step, but its not a true backup unless you make it yourself. But still, so long as it isn't pirated, it won't bother most people around here.

rebonack

Got into Game Boy collecting recently and bought a bunch of stuff on eBay. These came in today:

BKQ3WlICEAIlEWu_zps4d770ffb.jpeg

I also recently picked up boxed copies of Toki Tori (GBC), SML3: Wario Land, and a blue Game Boy Camera.

Teknoman

Fuck.

(>_<)

Any way you might be able to track it down, or was it just a random occurrence?

Man, I loved the Game Boy. When they switched to the DS platform and abandoned the old "Game Boy" title, it broke my heart a bit.

There's not a lot left that I'm hunting down for my personal collection. I need a good CIB Mother 1+2, a CIB Metal Gear Ghost Babel, and I'd really like a repro cart of the english translation of Mother 3. Or a really good flash cart. I proudly own all of the Mother games CIB (except M1+2 advance, as noted), but I'd really like to play Mother 3 on the system it was meant for.

Any suggestions?

Man, I loved the Game Boy. When they switched to the DS platform and abandoned the old "Game Boy" title, it broke my heart a bit.

There's not a lot left that I'm hunting down for my personal collection. I need a good CIB Mother 1+2, a CIB Metal Gear Ghost Babel, and I'd really like a repro cart of the english translation of Mother 3. Or a really good flash cart. I proudly own all of the Mother games CIB (except M1+2 advance, as noted), but I'd really like to play Mother 3 on the system it was meant for.

Any suggestions?
I've heard good things about the EZ Flash IV. Just be sure to keep it moral by ripping your own legally obtained Mother 3 and applying the translation patch yourself.

I used to have a flash cart for my SP back in the day (it got stolen), but they're seemingly impossible to find now. Any certain place I should be looking?

drizzle

Axel Hertz
I used to have a flash cart for my SP back in the day (it got stolen), but they're seemingly impossible to find now. Any certain place I should be looking?

Yes, the Internet.

I believe we can't actually post links to places selling flashcarts in here.

Dash Kappei

Any way you might be able to track it down, or was it just a random occurrence?

Went to buy cigarettes, 5 minutes later (not even kidding) the window of my car was smashed and the backpack gone. I never, ever leave stuff, visible, in my car... But wtf 5 minutes, and in my hometown which is not like a criminal hub or something. Meh. Went to the police but there's basically zero chance to get my stuff back.

Most of them I was just moving to a new place so yes, they were CiB. For Metroid ZM, Pokemon Ruby and Advance Wars 2, "only" the cart was stolen.
I've got a flash cart already. :/

Top Bottom