• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GB/GBC/GBA Collecting Thread

prateeko

He had a video showing off RTC (well it was in the title) but it was showing off boktai.

Also I figure a tilt sensor would be cooler for the wario game

He had a video showing off RTC (well it was in the title) but it was showing off boktai.

Also I figure a tilt sensor would be cooler for the wario game

I'm not sure which would be more expensive or cause greater size concerns, honestly. my GBA collection is rather meager.

Well gave replacing the battery on my Pokemon Emerald a shot. No love.

First time soldering. Got the old battery off easily enough but can't seem to get the new battery on.

Guess I will try again tomorrow

dhonk

So who are the skilled GAF that do backlight GBA mods again?

Not offering to do one, but I recently did my own and Im super duper uber pleased with it! Basically perfect! This is THE way to play GBA imo.

5gVlhw5.jpg

Hey guys, thought I'd post in here before posting in the BST thread or other trading forums I visit, as the enthusiasts are all in here. Anyone interested in buying some SP 101s, maybe for gutting?

I have three GBA SP 101 systems which I picked up from my nieces and nephews earlier. These are two pink ones and one black one.

I've got to charge these and test if they're working. One pink one has some scratches/is in used condition. Another pink one is in better condition but please note these are all in used condition as they've owned them for a long time since they were younger. They may be good for anyone that wants to take the innards out to use in the OG GBA or just wants to play on a 101. The black one, according to my nephew has intermittent working issues, the on switch has to be flicked on a few times before it comes on, so this one may be better for the innards.

I'm going to charge these up and see how they are for myself.

Rich!

YESSSSSSSS

Look what I got!

_20160423_152653lxj5w.jpg

It's even better than the last one I had. No dust under the screen, better backlight (biverted too of course)

Aw yes.

Rich!

The guy I bought it from, who did my DMG too, is awesome. He got the parts yesterday afternoon, and this morning he was like "come get it!". Turned out to be a totally chill guy too.

Good stuff. Definitely recommended for anyone in the UK, under the name of dave0035 on ebay

The guy I bought it from, who did my DMG too, is awesome. He got the parts yesterday afternoon, and this morning he was like "come get it!". Turned out to be a totally chill guy too.

Good stuff. Definitely recommended for anyone in the UK, under the name of dave0035 on ebay
Ah, yes, he's the guy I was in touch with over e-mail a few months back. I said I'd be in touch once I picked up a GBP. Glad it was a good job.

Rich!

I don't have any junk to practice on, but I did stop. Going to hit up someone with experience to do it.

It's really not that hard. At all. You should already have solder on the two points. All you need to do is place the tabbed battery onto there and simply touch each tab end with the tip of your soldering iron for merely a second at most.

Peagles

Hey guys, thought I'd post in here before posting in the BST thread or other trading forums I visit, as the enthusiasts are all in here. Anyone interested in buying some SP 101s, maybe for gutting?

I have three GBA SP 101 systems which I picked up from my nieces and nephews earlier. These are two pink ones and one black one.

I've got to charge these and test if they're working. One pink one has some scratches/is in used condition. Another pink one is in better condition but please note these are all in used condition as they've owned them for a long time since they were younger. They may be good for anyone that wants to take the innards out to use in the OG GBA or just wants to play on a 101. The black one, according to my nephew has intermittent working issues, the on switch has to be flicked on a few times before it comes on, so this one may be better for the innards.

I'm going to charge these up and see how they are for myself.

Ahoy-hoy :)

Rich!

Oh god

My ez flash IV has started writing garbage files to the saver folder. And some are up to 4gb each

The hell. EZ gash IV

Are you interested, Peagles? Buzz me on PM if so.

I charged and tested the SPs today. The two pink ones work but the black one won't come on, think it's dead. I suppose you can still use the backlit screen though, right?

EDIT: @Rich - those class screens, will they be susceptible to shattering if the system is dropped?

It's really not that hard. At all. You should already have solder on the two points. All you need to do is place the tabbed battery onto there and simply touch each tab end with the tip of your soldering iron for merely a second at most.

Seems the problem is one of the points had like almost no solder, so when the battery was removed the solder came with it. That is where I am having the issue, there is nothing to do the join with.

I will have to desolder the other end, and add a dot of solder on the troublesome side first and then resolder. No room to get under there to add the dot at the moment, but too far just to put the dot on top.

Might give it a try later or find someone in the neighborhood to help.

Dash Kappei

Not actually that important
I know there's rarely talk about games in here but omg guys I migjt have finally be able to secure a NIB EU Steel Empire for €15 :O
Waiting to get it since I took a big risk with it (no pics, no description on the conditions and when I asked they've told me their stock is too large for them to check each item, lol) but looking at past feeds it seems many were lucky with near mint NIB retro stuff with the same no descriptions/real pics and low prices.

We'll see.
A mint NiB Steel Empire EU is almost impossible to find, decent NiB copies go for €50 shipped, €35 shipped of you're ok with squashed box and whatnot.
Also I love the game, great port of a MD classic shmup and there's so few on the platform (Gradius, Iridium 3D, R-Type III (iirc terrible port but not the devs' fault) Steel Empire, Phalanx, Darius R, NES Classics stuff and... ?)

Seems the problem is one of the points had like almost no solder, so when the battery was removed the solder came with it. That is where I am having the issue, there is nothing to do the join with.

I will have to desolder the other end, and add a dot of solder on the troublesome side first and then resolder. No room to get under there to add the dot at the moment, but too far just to put the dot on top.

Might give it a try later or find someone in the neighborhood to help.

Wooo! I got it! Desoldered the new battery, cleaned up and tried again. Got it with no issues this time.

Rich!

The set is complete! As in, the backlit modded set. Once the GBC backlight becomes an option (hopefully), that will be added too.

I have got a midnight blue transparent case for the GBA I will be using, probably on the black model. If it's of good quality when it arrives, that is. Apparently the item I ordered for a fiver on ebay is the exact same shell RCG charge $30 or whatever for.

In any case, having a backlit GBA again is awesome. Such an amazing console - I understand why they went with the SP form factor after, but the OG design is king. And luckily I have two, because otherwise I'd never get a go due to my daughter:

Purdy

I still don't really understand what issue it causes as I've seen backlit ones :p? (Even the guy you recommended sells them)

Also what is a biverted backlight?

Rich!

I guarantee you haven't seen backlit gbcs. The guy has been selling modded GBC consoles - frontlit ones. Frontlit ones are, for lack of a better word, poor.

Purdy

I guarantee you haven't seen backlit gbcs. The guy has been selling modded GBC consoles - frontlit ones. Frontlit ones are, for lack of a better word, poor.

Ah okay and no I haven't, sort of debating what to get, your pocket looks incredible and tempts me

Rich!

Has anyone had any experience with those Woodi GBA and GBA Micro clone systems?....

http://www.aliexpress.com/store/pro...HL-EMS-10PCS-LOT-AGB/1752225_32384724118.html

the actual screen ratio seems to be correct...im wounding if the screen could be used in an original GBA

wow, dubious piracy aside the micro clone actually looks pretty good

http://www.aliexpress.com/store/pro...L-EMS-Build-in-games/1752225_32386280368.html

woodi_gba_micro-500x319.jpg

edit: oh wait, lol I take that back...

When I originally bought the Woodi GBA I was hoping it utilized a GBA on a chip. After playing the games I’m sure that it is actually emulating them. While the games normally play at full speed there are times when there are slow downs. The sound quality is what really makes me think the Woodi is emulating. The sound quality is bad, really bad. The sound plays slightly slower than it should.

The micro USB port is just for show. It doesn’t charge the system. Plugging it into a PC does nothing. Looking at the circuit board, it is not connected to anything.

[....]

All of the problems mentioned in the review above started to get to me. What really put me over the edge was the video/audio/controller lag in some games. The fifth world in Kirby’s Nightmare in Dreamland is all but unplayable between the wonky sound and control lag.

http://deanvaughan.org/wordpress/20...gba-micro-backlit-gba-clone-obscure-handheld/

What's the best way (kit, service, etc) to get a backlit Pocket like you have Rich?

I'd be down for trying it myself, but if it's super difficult I'd rather just send it to someone.

Edit: Little research of my own seems to show that the mods themselves aren't all that expensive to buy. Hand-Held Legend? They seem to be out of the Bivert mod though. =(

Has anyone had any experience with those Woodi GBA and GBA Micro clone systems?....

http://www.aliexpress.com/store/pro...HL-EMS-10PCS-LOT-AGB/1752225_32384724118.html

the actual screen ratio seems to be correct...im wounding if the screen could be used in an original GBA

I haven't used one, but this appeared on my youtube feed. Perhaps it's relevant to your query:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=91E9XUaYWTc

edit: from the video it doesn't look like the aspect ratio is correct. The picture on the order page must be photoshopped.

Rich!

What's the best way (kit, service, etc) to get a backlit Pocket like you have Rich?

I just found a decent modder on ebay that luckily lives locally

From what I hear, the pocket is an absolute bitch to mod - and even the slightest wrong move to the ribbon cable will render the screen useless.

Mega

Banned
Yeah, it seems like a tough mod. The guy who's doing the GBP mod for me damaged the ribbon cable while he was cleaning it. He had to order a second unit.

So my SP Replacement shell came in this weekend:

HyciuCFh.jpg

GXcDuikh.jpg

Bought it from here

Everything fit pretty well except the A button needed a little trim. Other than that, this one's cool for my own personal collection!

Hey guys. I'm selling an OG GBA modded with an AGS 101 screen that's red, and an ags 101 gba sp in fire red if anyone is interested. I'm taking some pictures tonight and putting them up on the BST thread. I know some of you have been looking for one of these so I thought I'd put it out there.

Has there been any news on the GBA Everdrive cart? Last I heard it was just about done but that was in January. Has there been any news since?

Rich!

Hey guys. I'm selling an OG GBA modded with an AGS 101 screen that's red, and an ags 101 gba sp in fire red if anyone is interested. I'm taking some pictures tonight and putting them up on the BST thread. I know some of you have been looking for one of these so I thought I'd put it out there.

Has there been any news on the GBA Everdrive cart? Last I heard it was just about done but that was in January. Has there been any news since?

Last few tests are happening on it. Krikzz posted a power consumption test result last week (basically nigh on the same as a legit cart, amazingly).

Going by the development schedule of past Everdrives it'll be out by the end of may. I think.

prateeko

Last few tests are happening on it. Krikzz posted a power consumption test result last week (basically nigh on the same as a legit cart, amazingly).

Going by the development schedule of past Everdrives it'll be out by the end of may. I think.

Really that soon? I feel like I've been waiting forever and hating the super EZF IV more (esp since I own a Mac). I wish he'd say if there are other sensors on there (beyond the rumored RTC).

Top Bottom