• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GB/GBC/GBA Collecting Thread

nateify

So does anyone know of a good guide to get 240p from the GBA Player?

I know I have to download Swiss I already got the Datel SD Media Launcher but apparently I got the wrong size SD cards. I don't know if I need another Memory Card for the Cube too.

Does anyone have a good guide. It seems most of the guides for swiss are about playing back up discs where I am not really interested in that. I just want to get a clean 240p image for my PVM/XRGB.

Also I read they have new Gameboy Player software that reduces input lag.

You'll want the Game Boy Interface. It's a DOL file and there's three versions, LL is best for 240p and reduces input latency dramatically.

Boot the launcher disc with an SD card with the DOL inserted into the memcard adapter.

dcx4610

Has anyone ever bought a system from this seller:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/GBA-Console...780029?hash=item2ede85663d:g:g50AAOSwe-FU-Zcy

I've been wanting to grab one of the Daiei systems for a while now and they definitely have the best price. I always worry about fake systems though.

GBA is brutal when it comes to fakes. It would be really hard to say if that was one is legit or not without seeing the stickers and even then, it's extremely tricky.

The hardware itself is likely legit but replacement shells at this point are more common than legit system it seems and they are 98% accurate which makes it a nightmare.

GBA is brutal when it comes to fakes. It would be really hard to say if that was one is legit or not without seeing the stickers and even then, it's extremely tricky.

The hardware itself is likely legit but replacement shells at this point are more common than legit system it seems and they are 98% accurate which makes it a nightmare.

Yup, agreed. There are definitely fake Daiei Hawks shells available too.

Oh well. I guess my only choice would be to wait for a boxed version, but they are usually insane. If I didn't care, then I guess I could just buy the shell myself.

Edit: Actually, I can't seem to find a replacement shell for the GBA version. I can find the GBC, but not GBA. So....maybe it's real?

RedSwirl

Is there any better way to get a GBAsp replacement battery than Nintendo.com? I see a lot of places that undercut Nintendo's prices heavily.

Rich!

Is there any better way to get a GBAsp replacement battery than Nintendo.com? I see a lot of places that undercut Nintendo's prices heavily.

Use a DS Phat battery. It fits and works fine, you just need to file away some plastic off one side.

Well, it took a while, but I finally found a place selling old-style GBA flash carts.

https://www.ic2005.com/shop/XGFlash-256M-GBA-flash-cart.html

This is what I ordered. Hopefully it actually comes and works--if it doesn't, well, that's why I made sure to pay with Paypal. $70 is kind of steep but still better than any of the alternatives.

While we're on the topic of batteries, is it possible to get an extended battery for my Gameboy Micro? It seems that back in the day, there were several 600mah batteries you could buy, but not anymore.

prateeko

Yup, agreed. There are definitely fake Daiei Hawks shells available too.

Oh well. I guess my only choice would be to wait for a boxed version, but they are usually insane. If I didn't care, then I guess I could just buy the shell myself.

Edit: Actually, I can't seem to find a replacement shell for the GBA version. I can find the GBC, but not GBA. So....maybe it's real?

Authentic GBA shells have the ® whereas the replacement ones just have a circle in the nitendo pill at the top.

Awww, Rumble doesn't seem to work on the copy of WarioWare Twisted I got off of Amazon.

Contemplating whether or not I should send it back.

Mega

Banned
White backlight.

Damn I wish I had known this sooner. I had a modder put together a GBP that looks just like yours. It came in today and while it looks awesome, using it to play is another matter... it's freaking dark and fucks with my eyesight after I look away.

So how is yours blue tinted? Is it the glass on top?

mattiewheels

And then the LORD David Bowie saith to his Son, Jonny Depp: 'Go, and spread my image amongst the cosmos. For every living thing is in anguish and only the LIGHT shall give them reprieve.'
Impulse buy question:

Would you buy Metroid 2 or Final Fantasy Legend 3 if you had to pick?

prateeko

Awww, Rumble doesn't seem to work on the copy of WarioWare Twisted I got off of Amazon.

Contemplating whether or not I should send it back.
Send it back. The whole benefit of Amazon is protection for consumers. Seller should have mentioned it or know their inventory enough to check and list issues before listing it. Deceitful or ignorant. Neither is an acceptable excuse.

Also Metroid II boxed is a game I need but painfully expensive to find :(

mattiewheels

And then the LORD David Bowie saith to his Son, Jonny Depp: 'Go, and spread my image amongst the cosmos. For every living thing is in anguish and only the LIGHT shall give them reprieve.'

Cranzor

Can anyone help me out? I'm trying to get a broken SP to take the screen out and put into a normal GBA but I can't tell if this is an AGS-001 or AGS-101. I'm looking for a 101 but I think this is a 001.

gtVepRS.jpg

Rich!

Damn I wish I had known this sooner. I had a modder put together a GBP that looks just like yours. It came in today and while it looks awesome, using it to play is another matter... it's freaking dark and fucks with my eyesight after I look away.

that's....bizarre. Got any photos?

My images do indeed give off a hint of blue even though it's definitely a white backlight - and the blame lies with my phone's camera. Here are two images after I've corrected the white balance in photoshop:

and it's crystal clear and bright as hell. It's great to use, so I'm not sure what's happened to yours.

prateeko

Can anyone help me out? I'm trying to get a broken SP to take the screen out and put into a normal GBA but I can't tell if this is an AGS-001 or AGS-101. I'm looking for a 101 but I think this is a 001.
Is there a label on the back?

Based on the color and screen though probably an 001

EDIT: screen is a give away as others have pointed out. Also I assumed you were in the US.

Borman

Looks like a 001. 101 should have a black/darker screen when it is off.

If it's really dark, it's likely that it has a resister. Some batteries work well with the resister, some dont. Open it up and see.

Rich!

If it's really dark, it's likely that it has a resister. Some batteries work well with the resister, some dont. Open it up and see.

GBP backlit mods require a resistor for power reasons.

It's actually far more likely that his mod is suffering from the following:

- Doesn't have a resistor installed
- Sources power from the incorrect points on the PCB.

I've seen some mods follow a video tutorial online which incorrectly advises to use a power line on the PCB that is unfortunately not quite suitable. The best points to source from would be the line just under the LCD.

Rich!

This runs contrary to what I've read.

No.

I've asked the guy who modded mine.

For reference, he installs resistors in every GBP mod. Both of mine had one. In addition, the reddit subforum agrees with me too:

Gryzor_ • 95d, 1h
Not to be mean, but whoever said not to use a resistor on a pocket is a moron.

It requires good voltage regulation to properly function as the LCD screen relies on proper voltage regulation for stability to begin with. That's what causes the flicker fluctuations. You're actually lucky its even operational. The LCD screen could take damage over time without proper regs.

So yes, you need a resistor installed unless you want to burn out the LEDs and possibly kill the LCD too. Not sure what sources you've been reading, but they are misinformed. The HHL backlights come with a resistor for a reason.

Yeah, I was just reading that thread. seems the cases where a resister is unnecessary are largely fringe. Different solder points seem to influence this though I'm struggling to follow the ppirnts referring to specific points without a pcb in front of me.

Mega

Banned
that's....bizarre. Got any photos?

My images do indeed give off a hint of blue even though it's definitely a white backlight - and the blame lies with my phone's camera. Here are two images after I've corrected the white balance in photoshop:

and it's crystal clear and bright as hell. It's great to use, so I'm not sure what's happened to yours.

It's impossible for me to take a photo that captures how blue it looks. It's the same with my backlit DMG with a green screen... it comes out looking like a subtler pea green regardless of the camera or settings I use. I wish it looked like it does in this photo, but it's more like glow in the dark: both darker and more intense.

I'll ask about the resistor, but the guy who modded the unit was very thorough in doing a full refurb and knew his stuff. I'm gonna go ahead and say there's actually nothing wrong with my GBP and I'm to blame for incorrectly asking for a blue backlight instead of white, or looking into lighter hues. The blue is simply too powerful and doesn't pair well with the graphics. I have seen modded DMG units that are the same with a red that doesn't work with the limited palette and contrast.

The blue does look nice in a way but I don't think it works if staring at for extended amounts of time.

Rich!

Yeah...the issue is the backlight. I always go with pure white as anything else has a habit of overpowering the simple 4 shade display. It's why I'm not keen on the Game Boy Light and its bright green screen.

I've made a few comparisons with my model for you using a photo I just took.

Here's an image unaltered:

1tqyke.jpg

Here it is with white balance fixed - this image is an accurate representation of how mine looks IRL:

1adnahk.jpg

I've done the same with your image:

2zmavn.jpg

and with white balanced fixed (hard to know if its accurate or not as I have no point of reference on your image):

2aqqajd.jpg

I can see how it could be an issue for you, for sure.

Quick question, how many gameboy advance games were released in the US and where can I find a complete list? Wikipedia and nintendoage are different and are missing some. Thanks!

Mega

Banned
Yeah...the issue is the backlight. I always go with pure white as anything else has a habit of overpowering the simple 4 shade display. It's why I'm not keen on the Game Boy Light and its bright green screen.

I've made a few comparisons with my model for you using a photo I just took.

Yup, it overpowers the few shades which aren't very contrasty for beginners. Your photo manipulation is a nice guess but it's more like a radioactive glow. The blue hue in this image isn't quite right (too dark, not bright enough), but the characteristics in this dark blue glowing paint come close:

Grief.exe

Any good guides you guys would recommend for modding a GBA to a AGS-101 screen? EDIT: Found a pretty decent guide here to get me started https://rosecoloredgaming.files.wordpress.com/2013/11/gba-back-light-instructions-v41.pdf

Looks like sourcing a glass screen from ebay shouldn't be too difficult, and getting an AGS101 from Craigslist is possible.

After this Life in Gaming GCN video, I'm motivated to pick up an old GBA and do an HDMI mod and 3rd party software chip in order to run GBA games through the TV.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Backlit-Mod...152687?hash=item4d43a1b42f:g:D-EAAOSwubRXKMuA

Welp, finally took the plunge and bought another backlit AGB, since I sold my old one a while back.

I've been wanting to buy a Midnight Blue console and mod it myself, but having one already done is probably better. It's not an authentic shell, but I can live with that I think.

Should I order a Glass screen for it? He mentions there might be dust behind the screen, so I assume this would give me the chance to clear that out. What are the chances that I mess something up in the process though?

Rich!

Holy fucking shit

https://m.facebook.com/groups/5815094406?view=permalink&id=10154165696584407

From the guy behind lsdj. SP screens adapters to use them on a DMG. DMG RGB video out chips.

Whaaaaaaaaat

Edit: to elaborate:

THIS is what you can do with the dmgs with busted screens and shells selling for pennies on eBay!

You could even build a game boy console for cheap and call it like, the super game boy! Which is actually, jokes aside, a really awesome idea.

Adding an external controller to the DMG is easy enough already. Build a 3D printed shell (cart slot on top, NES pad port at front, AC power and VGA/RGB at the back) and you've got a sweet custom console.

I'll definitely give it a go.

prateeko

...what l and r buttons?
I think I misunderstood the project and thought it was about putting a AGS-101 into a DMG-001 😅

Also, out of curiosity, for the new AGB-101s that are made by take the screen from an AGA-101, has anyone compared them and the performance of their LCDs to the standalone LCDs that are no longer available? There was some consideration that the standalone ones might have been spares, third party, or ones that didn't make QC, right?

Holy fucking shit

From the guy behind lsdj. SP screens adapters to use them on a DMG. DMG RGB video out chips.

Whaaaaaaaaat

THIS is what you can do with the dmgs with busted screens and shells selling for pennies on eBay!

You could even build a game boy console for cheap and call it like, the super game boy! Which is actually, jokes aside, a really awesome idea.

Adding an external controller to the DMG is easy enough already. Build a 3D printed shell (cart slot on top, NES pad port at front, AC power and VGA/RGB at the back) and you've got a sweet custom console.

Any images? I don't use Facebook so can't see anything at that link.

Holy fucking shit

Whaaaaaaaaat

Oh my God. I want a consolized GameBoy so bad. HDMI and GameBoy Color support and I'd be throwing my money at the screen.

avens

Neo Member
Sorry for the somewhat late replies.

Seeing all these modded Gameboys is making me want one. Just got a couple questions though. Which is better, the original Gameboy or a Pocket? Why not just play Gameboy games on an Advance instead of the original hardware?

No original (non-modded) model of the Game Boy is perfect. All of them either have some kind of crucial flaw, or lots of tiny ones.

Still, most enthusiasts (myself included) use a GBA SP 101 to play regular Game Boy games, because it's more convenient and overall is the least flawed of the bunch. If not then get a Game Boy Color, as that one is pretty much perfect outside the lack of GBA support. The other simple alternative is emulating games in whatever device, which is doable due to the original Game Boys not being that nice to begin with and GB emulation is very well done.

From what I understand (as I have yet to get a modded Game Boy), the best modded one would be a regular GBA with a backlit screen. Even then, merely replacing the regular GBA screen with one from the SP 101 still wouldn't be optimal, as that one is a bit blurry, so it defeats the purpose of trying to get the best possible using original hardware. That means the backlight mod has to be done to the regular screen, and for that you need to contact someone that's very, very good at it. I remember there is/was an Australian user that did that job very well (maybe I shouldn't have backed out from getting one from him).

Does the EZFlash shorten battery life compared to playing normal games?

I want to play Mother 3! My preference would be to get one of the old-style GBA flash carts that don't use SD cards, but they seem to have disappeared off the face of the earth.

Yes, but not by that much. What happens is that the LED shows there's low battery, but in actuality there's hours left of usage, and sometimes it even goes from red to green.

If the EZFlash IV can run Mother 3, and you have decided to use the original hardware, then go for it. I know it uses micro SD cards, but copying single games is very simple.

Someone recommended you an EverDrive. I wouldn't get one in your case, because EverDrives are quite expensive and Krikz takes many years until perfecting them, that via upcoming separate hardware releases. If we go by what happened with the N64, then the 2022 ED GBA v3.5 will be perfect, after updating to the newest firmware released afterwards. Instead, the EZFlash IV just works, as it has for over a decade, and has 99% compatibility (not with the Famicom games and some Dragon Ball ones I believe).

Rich!

I'm sorry, but that paragraph you made about the Everdrive is ridiculous.

The ez flash IV is a cheap piece of crap that requires buggy external software to patch ROMs in order for them to actually work properly due to the lack of decent save emulation. I have owned four ez flash IVs over the years and literally every single one has had a fuse or other component fall off the board inside the cartridge. The firmware is a mess, and the cart has a habit of corrupting things for no discernable reason. The cart is also slow, relying on slow ass fram for game loading.

The only reason people like me put up with the ez flash IV is due to two reasons: it's cheap as fuck and it's depressingly the best we have right now.

The Everdrive GBA by contrast will support clean ROMs, no patching, no fuss. It will be built to a professional standard, produced to a similarly same standard and the firmware will be rock solid and kept up to date. ROMs have been shown to load instantly and if anything ever goes wrong, you have one to one support directly with Krikzz via email or on his forum who will fix or replace any units without hesitation.

And about revisions, that's some bullshit. The only cart with enough revisions to make note of is the 64, and that is due to progress on researching tech that simply wasn't there before in revision 1 and 2. I had a v1 for ages and it was fantastic.

You pay a slightly higher price,but that is for quality. Not shit.

The Everdrive "just works". You put ROMs onto an SD, plug it in, done. Can you do that with an ez flash IV? Looool no

Lettuce

So im seeing GBA backlights on eBay that are listed as,

E Highlight Backlit Lcd Screen, D Highlight Backlit Lcd Screen, C Highlight Backlit Lcd Screen

whats do these letters mean??

Top Bottom