• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GB/GBC/GBA Collecting Thread

Shikoba

Any particular reason why the screen might have the "brown-er" tint vs the usual black ones on the backlit screens?
http://www.ebay.com/itm/331840458688

phvn177 has this one up and it makes me wonder if there is a reason to be worried about it or if it doesn't matter.

EDIT:
So getting into GB/GBC/GBA collecting is something I've been considering for awhile. I lived in front of these handhelds growing up and really wish I never sold them off when I was younger. Anyways I set out today with my fiancee to browse local shops and came home with:
jRP8TY6.jpg

Not a bad start. Both SPs have AGS 101 screens. The shells are pretty scuffed up so I might try my hand at getting/installing a new shell for the dark one to start. I never had an SP when I was little, I kind of miss the shape of the regular GBA. Because of that I am still eyeing phvn177's stuff. Regardless, I am excited to have finally took the plunge!

Mega

Banned
Any particular reason why the screen might have the "brown-er" tint vs the usual black ones on the backlit screens?
http://www.ebay.com/itm/331840458688

phvn177 has this one up and it makes me wonder if there is a reason to be worried about it or if it doesn't matter.

I have one of phvn177's modded GBAs.

When I took photos in the dark of his GBA and another modded GBA I got elsewhere, the black did look a bit lighter... but in person and under normal lighting, my eyes could not see a real difference in the contrast. In fact, his looks slightly more saturated and neutral than the other. I'm gonna say it has to do with screen wear, LCD calibration(?), or even where the screens came from. That last one assumes GBA screens were manufactured in batches from various sources and at various times, each with a slight difference in picture quality. That's pretty common with electronics.

Shikoba

I have one of phvn177's modded GBAs.

When I took photos in the dark of his GBA and another modded GBA I got elsewhere, the black did look a bit lighter... but in person and under normal lighting, my eyes could not see a real difference in the contrast. In fact, his looks slightly more saturated and neutral than the other. I'm gonna say it has to do with screen wear, LCD calibration(?), or even where the screens came from. That last one assumes GBA screens were manufactured in batches from various sources and at various times, each with a slight difference in picture quality. That's pretty common with electronics.

Thanks for the information! I was just curious about it because that particular one was the only one that mentioned the brown LCD, while phvn177's other GBA listed did not. I assumed that since he still listed it that there is nothing to be alarmed about, but I was curious as the reason for it and it's effects on playing games. Sounds like nothing to worry about!

Mega

Banned
Oh I see... that one specifically mentions have a brown (reddish?) black level. I would just get one of the other GBAs if you're worried. He has a couple more still up.

Looks like he also changed his seller name to gba177.

Shikoba

I noticed the name too. Threw me off this morning when I saw a different name. Definitely the same person, as I found the account googling his previous name.

I decided to order the Orange one he had up. After seeing previous posts by people with modded orange shells in this topic I just had to grab it while it was up. Excited!!

Rich!

behold

some sexy photos I took

dsc_13017msck.jpg

dsc_13065zsug.jpg

dsc_1304u3sld.jpg

dsc_1207oxsnk.jpg

All three consoles hold a special place for me...the DMG was the first console I ever owned, back in 1994. The pocket was something I was waiting for for a long time and when I finally got it on my birthday in 1996 (a transparent model!) I was overjoyed

the GBA was something else entirely...SNES quality gaming on the go? hoooly shit! I got one on launch day with F Zero. It was incredible. I didn't get another game until Mario Kart came out - and I remember that entire day at school was agony waiting to go home and play it. I 100%'d that motherfucker.

behold

some sexy photos I took

http://abload.de/img/dsc_13017msck.jpg[IMG]

[IMG]http://abload.de/img/dsc_13065zsug.jpg[IMG]

[IMG]http://abload.de/img/dsc_1304u3sld.jpg[IMG][/QUOTE]

Why do you insist on continuously making me super jelly of your backlit handhelds? :c

I'd love a backlit OG GBA but at $100-$140 it's just too much to justify spending on something I won't use often, especially already having a Micro, when I'm buying at least four more new games this year.

Rich!

I'd love a backlit OG GBA but at $100-$140 it's just too much to justify spending on something I won't use often, especially already having a Micro, when I'm buying at least four more new games this year.

think of it this way

it'll be $220-260 this time next year.

prateeko

The demand for the system has remained constant while the spare/extra backlit screen source dried up and we're left with transplanting screens from AGS-101's, which are no longer being made. So it's relatively safe to assume the cost of these screens will either stay stable or go up (i.e. since the demand for AGS-101 has increased to include people who need the screens as well as individuals who just wanted the AGS-101), in which case the fair market value for an AGB-101 should stay the same, or more likely, continue to trend up. Rich! is likely making a joke and exaggerating how much the price will continue to rise but I think his point is definitely valid.

I'd save a search on eBay as a bookmark and keep an eye out and grab one for as little as possible sooner rather than later. It's easy enough to transplant into a real (OEM) shell with normal buttons if you'd prefer too (just need an xacto or dremel)

Mega

Banned
think of it this way

it'll be $220-260 this time next year.

This is pretty much true. Maybe not over $200 but... they were $70-100 when I first started eyeing them late last year and early this year. Now you can't find one under $110~

I want to buy a copy of Zelda: The Minish Cap, and I saw eBay had copies for $15-20, but some of the sellers have 10+ copies of it and I assume they are fakes, since the game goes for over $40 on Amazon. Is it worth taking the risk on the cheaper games or should I buy one that is more expensive but more likely to be authentic?

steadfast

I want to buy a copy of Zelda: The Minish Cap, and I saw eBay had copies for $15-20, but some of the sellers have 10+ copies of it and I assume they are fakes, since the game goes for over $40 on Amazon. Is it worth taking the risk on the cheaper games or should I buy one that is more expensive but more likely to be authentic?

The fakes work, but I still think it's a much better idea to pay for a legit copy.

Rich!

Krikzz has confirmed the edgba will be out within the next 1-2 months as I guessed previously

F5ing all day erryday

Mega

Banned
I've not bought any ED products before. Is it likely to be sold out very quickly?

Maybe an initial batch, but it wouldn't be for long. He's always stocked up on all the Everdrives. I also think the price will keep the rush of impulse buys to a minimum. They're not cheap like other flash carts.

prateeko

It would be nice if we could have a list of reliable modders/sellers in here. I always forget who is located in which country and seeing all of these fantastic backlight GB/GBP mods (esp with the biverts) makes me want to find out who did it and have them do mine also...

It would be nice if we could have a list of reliable modders/sellers in here. I always forget who is located in which country and seeing all of these fantastic backlight GB/GBP mods (esp with the biverts) makes me want to find out who did it and have them do mine also...

my impression is that these things fluctuate a bit too frequently to make a proper list and keep it relevant. There are lots of people who do a mod here and there, and lots of people who only do mods when they have free time outside of another job. Thus, it's hard to pin down people who are available.

And that's not bringing up the issue of lots of popular modders with stores (thursday customs, for example) are constantly backlogged.

Lettuce

behold

some sexy photos I took

All three consoles hold a special place for me...the DMG was the first console I ever owned, back in 1994. The pocket was something I was waiting for for a long time and when I finally got it on my birthday in 1996 (a transparent model!) I was overjoyed

the GBA was something else entirely...SNES quality gaming on the go? hoooly shit! I got one on launch day with F Zero. It was incredible. I didn't get another game until Mario Kart came out - and I remember that entire day at school was agony waiting to go home and play it. I 100%'d that motherfucker.

Are you using a Blue Backlight on that Pocket Rich?....mine looks considerable darker and kind of strains my eyes when using for long periods

SKINNER!

Banned
I remember the GBA launch. F-Zero, Final Fight, Dodgeball, Advance Wars. Super Mario Advance. It blew me away as my friends and I geek'd out about how we can hold a SNES in our hands. I'll never forget that launch.

Mega

Banned
I remember the GBA launch. F-Zero, Final Fight, Dodgeball, Advance Wars. Super Mario Advance. It blew me away as my friends and I geek'd out about how we can hold a SNES in our hands. I'll never forget that launch.

Don't forget Circle of the Moon! I was a big SotN fan so it was amazing to see something in handheld form that approximated the PS1 game.

B.K.

Seeing all these modded Gameboys is making me want one. Just got a couple questions though. Which is better, the original Gameboy or a Pocket? Why not just play Gameboy games on an Advance instead of the original hardware?

Rich!

Seeing all these modded Gameboys is making me want one. Just got a couple questions though. Which is better, the original Gameboy or a Pocket? Why not just play Gameboy games on an Advance instead of the original hardware?

Many reasons. Putting aside nostalgic preferences, each iteration of the game boy has its own distinct feel both physically and visually that is unique to that model.

The DMG has a unique screen that has its own charm and is improved to no end by a backlight/biverted mod. It also has the best sound via prosound mod (better than the pocket and color) and insane battery life.

The pocket has a much sleeker design, the screen is absolutely crystal clear with a backlight/bivert but has a line issue that the DMG doesn't. It's quite unique and the screen is the biggest of the lot. The GBA has the worst audio (cannot be prosound modded) and the smallest screen for original GB/GBC games - even smaller than the GBC. Also, there's the issue of GB carts sticking the fuck out of the top. For GBC games I use the advance, but for anything else I would choose the DMG or pocket. The quirks of the hardware is part of the experience.

SKINNER!

Banned
I do like the Gameboy pocket. Recently picked up a broken one for a Raspberry Pi zero project and it feels/looks nice. Bigger screen, sleek body and the buttons are nice. I do have a soft spot for my DMG Gameboy though. That bulky beast went through a lot of grief during my up bringing. A few scratches and It's yellowed a bit now even though it was a cupboard but it still amazes me that it's working. Gonna need to replace the headphone port though :( Unsure whether to leave it untouched for nostalgia's sake or clean/refurbish it a bit.

But yeah, if you're new then try the DMG and if you don't like it then grab a Pocket. Both are decent devices.

Mega

Banned
I have a modded GBP incoming, but these are my past measurements for GBC and DMG posted here last month:

I measured my GBC and DMG screens (the area with actual pixels and gameplay) and the difference is very small.

GBC
43mm wide X 38mm high

DMG
45mm wide X 41mm high

There's a pretty thick "dead" perimeter area on the DMG screen. Makes the screen look bigger than it is.

I can see from Rich's photos that the GBP has the "dead" screen area too. I think Nintendo's official measurements take this unused space into account to make the screens seem bigger than they are.

SKINNER!

Banned
I can see from Rich's photos that the GBP has the "dead" screen area too. I think Nintendo's official measurements take this unused space into account to make the screens seem bigger than they are.

aaah I see. Makes sense that GBP is smaller from that stand point then.

Does the EZFlash shorten battery life compared to playing normal games?

I want to play Mother 3! My preference would be to get one of the old-style GBA flash carts that don't use SD cards, but they seem to have disappeared off the face of the earth.

Rich!

Does the EZFlash shorten battery life compared to playing normal games?

I want to play Mother 3! My preference would be to get one of the old-style GBA flash carts that don't use SD cards, but they seem to have disappeared off the face of the earth.

Yes, ez flash IV has a high power consumption rate. Basically an extra third on top of what a standard cart uses.

The upcoming Everdrive GBA however has nigh on the same power consumption as a normal cartridge. And it supports drag and drop onto an SD with no patching needed. And all save types. And it loads games instantly, including Mother 3.

http://youtu.be/y6DCxZfpQa0

It'll be out within the next month or so. Wait and get one instead of wasting money on anything else.

Worth mentioning the GBA ED will probably run you 100$.

If all you want to play is Mother 3, there are cheaper methods that will run it just as well.

Yeah, $100 is too much.

Grr, I wish you could still buy the old type of flash carts. I remember I had a 128mb years ago I picked up for ~$20. Of course, I have no idea where it is now—I was like 12 years old at the time.

I also had a Supercard at one point, which you CAN still buy, but I remember that it essentially cut my battery life by half.

Kawika

So does anyone know of a good guide to get 240p from the GBA Player?

I know I have to download Swiss I already got the Datel SD Media Launcher but apparently I got the wrong size SD cards. I don't know if I need another Memory Card for the Cube too.

Does anyone have a good guide. It seems most of the guides for swiss are about playing back up discs where I am not really interested in that. I just want to get a clean 240p image for my PVM/XRGB.

Also I read they have new Gameboy Player software that reduces input lag.

Top Bottom