• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GB/GBC/GBA Collecting Thread

Grief.exe

The My Life in Gaming talks about the borders being present in the GC/GBP episode. You can get rid of them by stretching the image, but the IQ is terrible and you will be stuck with them when forcing 240p.

If your TV or Upscaler has some kind of Xoom function you can possibly get rid of the borders.

So I want a back-lit GBA ags 101, but have a front-lit in great shape. Is the casing the same if I swap them out, or can my front-lit be modded? Or is it just not worth it?

Synless

Years ago I sold my GBA and regretted it. Today I picked up an original glacier blue one for cheap. I forgot what games were good on this system. Can I get a list, all genres of all the quality must have games? Aldo, how do I backlight mod this thing?

Rich!

Years ago I sold my GBA and regretted it. Today I picked up an original glacier blue one for cheap. I forgot what games were good on this system. Can I get a list, all genres of all the quality must have games? Aldo, how do I backlight mod this thing?

aldo1.jpg

HOW MUCH YOU GOT IN YOUR THERE WALLET, SON?!

...in other words, you're gonna struggle. You have to buy a backlit AGS101 (backlit SP) and use the screen from that. Depending on where you are, that could be mid range in terms of cost, or it could set you back over £100 if you're in the UK.

Synless

aldo1.jpg

HOW MUCH YOU GOT IN YOUR THERE WALLET, SON?!

...in other words, you're gonna struggle. You have to buy a backlit AGS101 (backlit SP) and use the screen from that. Depending on where you are, that could be mid range in terms of cost, or it could set you back over £100 if you're in the UK.
Is that all it is, a SP screen? Couldn't I just buy one of those cheap and take the screen out and replace it?

Rich!

Is that all it is, a SP screen? Couldn't I just buy one of those cheap and take the screen out and replace it?

Ohhh boy

There are two versions of the SP. The backlit AGS101 model is the one you want. It is expensive almost everywhere but if you are in the USA, you may get a good deal.

Average price in the UK is minimum £80-100. USA seems to be around $70-80 going by sold ebay listings.

And then you need to buy the adapter cable to fit it into the OG GBA.

This isn't exactly a cheap mod, but it's worth it.

Craft

lol dat humble brag

Lol seriously. Unless it was flat as a pancake we all know that's a hell of a deal. I'd be concerned it was a fake if you got it online

=D Sorry chaps I was super excited and had to tell someone.
Ended up with Metroid 2 and Bionic Commando both sealed for £20 each. The store did have a number of other sealed Gameboy games but nothing too interesting, I think it's going to be my deal of the year!

Correction: See below

No it does not.
Thanks.

=D Sorry chaps I was super excited and had to tell someone.
Ended up with Metroid 2 and Bionic Commando both sealed for £20 each. The store did have a number of other sealed Gameboy games but nothing too interesting, I think it's going to be my deal of the year!
Mate, where is this store you speak of? I hope it's somewhere in or near South East England. Great price.

The My Life in Gaming talks about the borders being present in the GC/GBP episode. You can get rid of them by stretching the image, but the IQ is terrible and you will be stuck with them when forcing 240p.

If your TV or Upscaler has some kind of Xoom function you can possibly get rid of the borders.
Oh, I like the borders!

Craft

Mate, where is this store you speak of? I hope it's somewhere in or near South East England. Great price.
Theyve got a few games left but nothing really interesting:
http://www.hammersmith.cashconverters.co.uk/auction-items/130/DVDs-Games

Can't recommend cash converters enough for some amazing deals if you're willing to wait.

EDIT:
The games came last night really pleased with the quality:
Metroid is in mint condition, bionic commando is a little squished one side but still great condition.

hypotc

I'm having some trouble with my newly received AGS-101 modded GBA. I was wondering if anyone may know what is causing this!

I've made a post on Reddit about it here:
https://www.reddit.com/r/Gameboy/co...101_modded_gba_would/?st=iqwbm4tk&sh=9fc8a5b7

Reddit post said:
I'm having a bit of a problem with a GBA I received a couple of days ago. It's very bright, and has a wire soldered from the ribbon cable to DA1 for the highest brightness setting (no other wires).
The screen randomly shows some artifacting where it changes the black to blue in some cases. It also happens when I touch the GBA some times. Does this have to do with grounding? (It happens on both GBA and GBC games)
Also, the colors are a little weird. When I'm testing Zelda: Oracle of Ages the hearts in the save menu at the start is more pink than red. The colors definitely look washed out.
There's a picture and a video of the problem here: https://www.dropbox.com/sh/ywdrb11n57va71f/AAArpL3nneM_J1jJtzN3PG7Fa?dl=0
Anyone know what I can do to fix this?

Thanks!

Loose ribbon cable.

If you're not returning it, be very careful taking it apart yourself and tightening the connections. Also be really careful everything is in the right place when you put it back together since there's not a lot of space left over with the screen mod -- you can pretty easily end up bulging the case, making button presses weird, and needing to disassemble again to fix that.

Grief.exe

Mega Man Zero GBA? or DS?

GBA might be better due to the ability to play through the GC, but the DS collection is much more convenient.

Morfeo

The Chuck Norris of Peace
Finally got GBI up and running on my Gamecube, and been playing some Maximum Velocity, and maan is this game hard. Your vehicles just seems to have no weight at all to them, which makes the gameplay very different from previous games in the series, especially the original.

Morfeo

The Chuck Norris of Peace
Goten somewhat better at the game, and have now beaten all three cups on beginner, and one on normal. So cool to finally play this game, feels like the original F-Zero with new levels - which is of course really great for all F-Zero fans. And so cool to play it on the big screen!

Got my Everdrive. Put some clean, unpatched, no-intro roms on it. Works like my other Everdrives. Load for games (and the menu) is a good deal faster than EZ-Flash IV. It runs clean roms, no patching. I don't know what else to say but I'm really happy to not be dealing with patched roms and transfer utilities.

Got my Everdrive. Put some clean, unpatched, no-intro roms on it. Works like my other Everdrives. Load for games (and the menu) is a good deal faster than EZ-Flash IV. It runs clean roms, no patching. I don't know what else to say but I'm really happy to not be dealing with patched roms and transfer utilities.
Thanks for the pic. The size isn't too bad.

I could see that. Drop the RTC, fit in a standard GBA shell.

There have been GBA flashcarts in a standard shell with RTC. I think it's actually the hardware that allows everything to load so quickly that takes up space. At least, that's the speculation I've read. Dunno if he's commented on it specifically.

There have been GBA flashcarts in a standard shell with RTC. I think it's actually the hardware that allows everything to load so quickly that takes up space. At least, that's the speculation I've read. Dunno if he's commented on it specifically.

The components on this board could not fit in a standard shell, that I can say for sure.

It's smart/powerful enough to work with all save types and sizes without patching, that's a big deal. Maybe it needs more silicon because of that.

Grief.exe

What's all this about? I'm quite out of the loop

Gamecube can only natively output composite video, which looks terrible. You can buy component cables, but they are ridiculously expensive.

Some people found a way to solder on a new board to the existing digital out, allowing for HDMI output. That means you can get lossless video from the Gamecube, then use that to push 240p GBA/GB/GBC games through the Gameboy Player.

EDIT: S-VIDEO

Top Bottom