• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GB/GBC/GBA Collecting Thread

Rich!

So it doesn't do GB and GBC ROMs?

No. It's a GBA flashcart - booting into GBC mode requires a physical switch to be activated in the console (via a notch in the cart) which then effectively turns the console into a GBC. To support GBC/GB ROMs would mean Krikzz would have to had built an Everdrive GB into the same flashcart. Which wasn't gonna happen.

However, you can use Goomba Color which will work fine for most titles.

So it doesn't do GB and GBC ROMs?
No, of course not. GB/GBC cartridges have a different shape that hits a physical switch inside the cartidge slot that is wired to boot the system in GBC mode. No flash cart can do that.

The Everdrive GB is a fantastic GB/GBC flashcart though.

Before anyone mentions it, no, the Goomba Color emulator is not a suitable replacement for a GB flash cart since it has a lot of compatibility issues ranging from minor to game breaking.

Hmm. Makes sense.

I'm a total idiot about this stuff so this may be a dumb question but - is it possible that the Swiss/GBI software magic could be loaded onto this flash cart for use with a GBP?

Rich!

Hmm. Makes sense.

I'm a total idiot about this stuff so this may be a dumb question but - is it possible that the Swiss/GBI software magic could be loaded onto this flash cart for use with a GBP?

Impossible.

It's a GBA cart, not a method to load GameCube homebrew. You need an SD reader and an action replay or a mod chip.

prateeko

Compatible with GB Player?!

Ahh, I'l buy it for a high price!

Well really all flash carts that work with the GBA/SP are compatible with the GB Player, it is GBA hardware after all. Even the EZFlash works with the GBP (as does my M3 Lite Perfect and anything else we care about that fits in the proper hardware).

Well really all flash carts that work with the GBA/SP are compatible with the GB Player, it is GBA hardware after all. Even the EZFlash works with the GBP (as does my M3 Lite Perfect and anything else we care about that fits in the proper hardware).
Its more about shape and size because of how the GBP loads cartridges face down with very little clearance.

Its more about shape and size because of how the GBP loads cartridges face down with very little clearance.

There is a bit of clearance. There's the plastic at the bottom and some feet as well.

https://twitter.com/krikzz/status/749766738405916672

Cme0xq-WEAA2kao.jpg

Cme03TkWcAAsE0Q.jpg

Should be fine if Drill Dozer fits ok in the GBP. Looks like it both of those GBAs are sitting flat on the table as well.

D.Lo

Sticking with EZ Flash. Software is a semi-pain (haven't tried the new one) but it's worked perfectly since 2008.

The #1 thing I want in a flash cart for a portable should be normal size.

I would actually go for a GBA sized GBC cart too.

Sticking with EZ Flash. Software is a semi-pain (haven't tried the new one) but it's worked perfectly since 2008.

I'm with you. For all of its problems, the ezfiv gives me what I want.

Ordered an Everdrive since I've been using my OG GB version pretty often and I love how easy it is to use (same with the n64 one). I have an EZ Flash but it's too much of a pain to use and I'm pretty sure the software I had to use with it killed my last windows laptop.

I agree 100% that the EZFlash4 is fine despite it's quirks, but I kinda want a 2nd GBA flash cart anyway mostly for Pokemon stuff. Plus I really like Krikzz's work and would like to have an Everdrive for pretty much every system for the long run... not that I feel like the EZFlash would break at some point but I feel way more confident in an Everdrive.

prateeko

I think I'll hold off until the Black Friday sale at the least. So in that case since I am limited to OS X, where is this new software for EZ Flash IV that I've heard so much about?

Been playing the Kid Icarus GB game. Boss of the first dungeon is ridiculously difficult - a bullet sponge. And when you die you start the level all over....

Morfeo

The Chuck Norris of Peace
Been playing the Kid Icarus GB game. Boss of the first dungeon is ridiculously difficult - a bullet sponge. And when you die you start the level all over....

I cant even remember him lol. I played the first two KI-games a few years ago in anticipation of KI:Uprising (which I still havent goten around to), and dont really remember anything from the sequel. Felt pretty derivative, and a easier but also less interesting version of the Nes-game.

I cant even remember him lol. I played the first two KI-games a few years ago in anticipation of KI:Uprising (which I still havent goten around to), and dont really remember anything from the sequel. Felt pretty derivative, and a easier but also less interesting version of the Nes-game.

I just watched a LP on YouTube. The boss takes 99 fucking hits. 99 FUCKING HITS. Even when Pit is fully powered, which I was not. What the ever living shit, man.

Grief.exe

I just watched a LP on YouTube. The boss takes 99 fucking hits. 99 FUCKING HITS. Even when Pit is fully powered, which I was not. What the ever living shit, man.

That almost sounds like someone screwed up a storage value. Is that an outlier from the rest of the game?

Jacknapes

Early last year, i fancied purchasing a GBA again. Originally, i had to sell it with it's games as i was short on money. But having bought one again (went for the SP over the standard one), it bought back many memories.

Had a replacement sent, as the one i had wouldn't read the game carts. Did keep the faulty machine, but used the parts to replace one or two bits in the 2nd one.

So, i picked up several games i used to own with it. Have Yoshi's Island, Sonic Advance (1,2 and 3) and Rayman so far. Looking into getting some more games over the rest of this year.

That almost sounds like someone screwed up a storage value. Is that an outlier from the rest of the game?

I wouldn't know, as I haven't been past this part. But some past impressions on the web suggest the rest of the game is a breeze. Also, it's programmed by Tose, so... yeah, it might very well be a screw up of some kind.

Finally completed my collection of the (imo) holy trinity of GBA Micros. Never thought I would be able to find a complete Mother 3 that I could afford, so this was definitely a pleasant surprise.

Long term, I would like to have a complete collection of all the Micros, but that's probably going to take a while. Heck, complete sets of the Blue/Pink/Green versions are almost as expensive as the special editions at this point.

I love my Micro, I just wish I could find a good replacement faceplate.

Also, does the Super Game Boy 2 have the gen2 link cable port that is on the GBC or does it have the big one on the DMG?

Grief.exe

Finally completed my collection of the (imo) holy trinity of GBA Micros. Never thought I would be able to find a complete Mother 3 that I could afford, so this was definitely a pleasant surprise.

Long term, I would like to have a complete collection of all the Micros, but that's probably going to take a while. Heck, complete sets of the Blue/Pink/Green versions are almost as expensive as the special editions at this point.

And you need a Micro to actually play on.

Fireblend

Banned

That's an outstanding Micro collection, damn. I love my Micro, I've actually been playing a ton of Pokemon Pinball Ruby/Sapphire on mine lately. I'd give anything for a Mother special edition one. I'm traveling to Japan later this year, and I'm crossing my fingers to find some cheap games (Mother 3, maybe?) and Micro faceplates if I get super ridiculously lucky, because I hear they're super rare even there.

Top Bottom