• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GB/GBC/GBA Collecting Thread

Dash Kappei

Not actually that important
Posted this in the B/S/T if anyone is interested.

Silver/Black Game Boy Micro w/ EZ Flash IV[ - $120 O.B.O /U]

Yet again, bought this thinking i would use this to catch up, but realized my hands are just too big for it. Love it, but it's got to go to a nice new home. Ordered the EZ Flash and waited almost 2 months for it. Great card, little finicky with the SW renaming roms wrong, but what ever. Plays everything i throw at it. Comes with charger and SD card. I think it's 2gb Mini

I can vouch for the EZ IV, fits perfectly in my Micro (nothing sticks out) and had 100% compatibility so far in the last 3 years (never tried a Pokémon tho, I only own Ruby and never ripped it, dunno if the clock works, maybe it needs to be patched).

Dash Kappei

I've made it a rule to only buy CiB but I think I might break it this one time because o me it's seems a great deal, but I need you guys to be sure, just keep in mind PAL GBA games in many cases tend to cost 30 to 50% more than US counterparts,

Anyway, cartridge only:

Wario Land 4
Fire Emblem (not SS,this is the first GBA FE)
Donkey Kong NES Classics
Harvest Moon Friends of Mineral Town

For 20€ shipped.

Yay or nay? They would be my only non-complete GBA games but I'd make an exception if this is a great deal since i've been looking for those titles and most of those are REALLY expensive if CiB in good conditions.

Ninja Cop boxed, no manual, 8 euro. :D Box is not mint, but still.

bVIvVzkl.jpg

Have to take a pictures of all the games I got for the system (GBA). I lost count, but I guess 70+. Only going after the "good" games.

Whoa great price on Ninja Cop!

Yeah, was really lucky. Went surfing on some sites where people are selling their junk. And there it was. Called immediately and it wasn't that far from where I was living, so immediately went there... They were also selling a Castlevania GBA cart only for 50 euro... So random...

Gonna try to make a picture of the collection I have for now, but I think I almost have all the ones I want to have. (not going for a full set, I don't want to hoard crappy games :p)

Dash Kappei

Made the payment for Wario 4, FE, HV and DK NES, thanks guys :)

Holy shit at Ninja Cop for 8€!
That backlit GBA looks sweeeeeet.... wish I had one with a rechargeable battery pack

Krammy

OH yeah!!....got my Backlit GBA now......

ibbwbtRE98ASYq.JPG

has to be the best way to play GBA games right!???

I yearn for the day when a lithium-ion battery mod is discovered to go with the backlit Game Boy Advance and frontlit Game Boy Colour mods. Using batteries is my only gripe with them!

jbueno

I yearn for the day when a lithium-ion battery mod is discovered to go with the backlit Game Boy Advance and frontlit Game Boy Colour mods. Using batteries is my only gripe with them!

Sanyo Eneloops my man, IMO more useful than Li-ion battery since they´re easily replaced. I fear the day my DSi XL, Micro and other handhelds batteries won´t hold a charge and replacements get scarce.

Lettuce

I use Eneloop rechargeable batteries for all my devices and last ages so not much of an issue really

I've been seriously thinking on starting some old games collection just for fun. Can't make my mind on whether to get a GBC frontlit then maybe later on get a micro or just get a backlit GBA. GBC games also seem cheaper to get.

Thoughts?

Krammy

Sanyo Eneloops my man, IMO more useful than Li-ion battery since they´re easily replaced. I fear the day my DSi XL, Micro and other handhelds batteries won´t hold a charge and replacements get scarce.

Sanyo Enelopps huh, I've never tried those. I'll definitely grab some the next time I'm out.

I managed to track down an okay condition Game Boy Micro today for $60, locally. The seller said the charging port was really tight (ho ho ho), and it definitely was, but after trying with one of my own chargers, it's seems to have just been a faulty charger of his.

The faceplate is a mess, and there's a lot of scuffs to the paint along the corners of the console, but overall, it's pretty good. Definitely playable, and the screen itself is perfectly fine, thanks to the genius of building a screen protector into the design of the machine. I'm looking forward to playing Game Boy Advance games again without fear of busting up my Mother 3 micros!

Without Faceplate:
BEuZu6Q.jpg

With Faceplate: (you can't tell but it's really messed up with scratches)
M1jlIv6.jpg

Obligatory Flaunting of Mother 3 Micro:
LX5NvT6.jpg

Dash Kappei

Package 1 GET! nice surprise was to find out there were never-mentioned mint condition instruction booklets with the games, together with plastic shell cases for the carts!

sCzRPS6.jpg

Dash Kappei

Guys what the fuck -_- I was trying to look at fixing my Micro's d-pad and I broke the faceplate... is eBay a viable solution? Mine was silver, how much should I pay? Are there cheaper non official ones?

Last thing, this happened because tonight I noticed my d-pad's down input wasn't as responsive as it should, how would I go about fixing that? Is it easy to open up an re-assemble a Micro, what screwdriver do I need?

Thanks for the help, any tips will be appreciated :)

Krammy

Long story short. Good luck. I was scouring eBay for Game Boy Micro faceplates today, but even the unofficial ones that were popular (the one's that used adhesive), are sold out everywhere. You can find single faceplates, but they're usually those awful pack-in ones like the flower or camo designs, and they go for $20 before shipping.

It sort of sucks, I thought they'd be easier to track down.

I really need a new faceplate for my Micro. I bought mine at a retro store and the faceplate itself is scratched to hell. You don't really notice it when the brightness is turned up, but when you are using it on low it becomes very noticeable.

Also why are the GBA Pokemon games still so expensive? I mean $30 for any one of them. I'd really love to have Fire Red or Emerald with my Micro but I can't justify spending $30 on them.

I did recently get Jurassic Park: Park Builder for $12 which I really love. I need to get Advance Wars soon.

cafemomo

Also why are the GBA Pokemon games still so expensive? I mean $30 for any one of them. I'd really love to have Fire Red or Emerald with my Micro but I can't justify spending $30 on them.

Might be a lil bias (since Emerald is one of my top 10 favorite games and favorite Pokemon game) but Emerald is full worth the 30 bones. Still has the best post game content of any Pokemon game to date.

Check around eBay, Amazon, or your local vidya shop for one. Sometimes they go in the ~20ish range but be careful of fakes.

They never went down in price, they sold out and preowned prices rised, Every pokemon mainline game carries a premium now, I need to replace Heard Gold for DS and Gamestop is charging $50 for preowned.

They never went down in price, they sold out and preowned prices rised, Every pokemon mainline game carries a premium now, I need to replace Heard Gold for DS and Gamestop is charging $50 for preowned.

That's crazy. Especially since they were selling it new for $25 a couple years ago or so, with the pedometer pack-in and all. Demand is always high I guess.

Dash Kappei

So in the end, since tonight I broke my silver faceplate because I didn't fucking know you needed a special "key" to take it off, what an idiot gosh, and eBay prices are crazy (Nintendo.it sells a bunch of Micro stuff but no faceplates, someone mentioned Nintendo Australia but I couldn't even find a Micro section on there)... I finally settled for barely decent 3rd party faceplates from Venom, carry case (which .i don't need) and 2 faceplates for £4,49. Cheapo, yeah, but they're not as good as the official ones by a long shot I imagine

Everything happened because my D-pad doesn't register down input as it should anymore, so I wanted to fix it.
I imagine I should clean underneat or something, it pisses me off because my unit was PERFECT and I always used it indoor, sob. Anyone knows how to proceed to fix it, I mean the thing is naked already but I imagine I need some special screwdriver. Don't wanna mess it up tho, is it a difficult thing to do, I mean to re-assemble it afterwards?

Peagles

So in the end, since tonight I broke my silver faceplate because I didn't fucking know you needed a special "key" to take it off, what an idiot gosh, and eBay prices are crazy (Nintendo.it sells a bunch of Micro stuff but no faceplates, someone mentioned Nintendo Australia but I couldn't even find a Micro section on there)... I finally settled for barely decent 3rd party faceplates from Venom, carry case (which .i don't need) and 2 faceplates for £4,49. Cheapo, yeah, but they're not as good as the official ones by a long shot I imagine

Everything happened because my D-pad doesn't register down input as it should anymore, so I wanted to fix it.
I imagine I should clean underneat or something, it pisses me off because my unit was PERFECT and I always used it indoor, sob. Anyone knows how to proceed to fix it, I mean the thing is naked already but I imagine I need some special screwdriver. Don't wanna mess it up tho, is it a difficult thing to do, I mean to re-assemble it afterwards?

Nintendo Australia don't do online orders, you have to call them.

Krammy

So in the end, since tonight I broke my silver faceplate because I didn't fucking know you needed a special "key" to take it off.
Truth be told, it's really not needed. I simply slide in a thin object such as a credit card and pop it off from either side. In fact, neither of my Mother 3 Micro's even came packaged with the official "key".

I imagine I need some special screwdriver.
Looking at the side of my own Micro, it appears to be a regular Tri-Wing (the same one used on most Nintendo handhelds).

Leynos

OH yeah!!....got my Backlit GBA now......

ibbwbtRE98ASYq.JPG

has to be the best way to play GBA games right!???

I'm going to assume that you got that from Rose Colored Gaming. A local game shop has a nice clear GBA that I'll pick up for my daughter. I'll have a backlight put in as I want for her to play games with actual buttons, but am too scared to hand her my AGB-101 as she loves to play with the hinge.

As much as I love the feel of the original GBA, I prefer the higher pixel density of the GBM screen. It makes games look much nicer, just look at the images of the GBA and GBM earlier in this thread.

While I wouldn't pass up getting a backlit GBA if I could, I'd still use my GBM as my main GB on the go. With Fire Red I have no need for the backwards compatibility and the GBM's battery life is amazing. I wish I could find a modestly priced flash cart though.

I am in love with your custom cases, everyone.
I am looking around for a whole pile of clear cassette cases to do this.
img0696do.jpg

They're hard to come by in Australia, can see heaps from the US but shipping is a killer. Probably gonna have to troll through op-shops and buy up cheap crappy tapes.
I love these. Somebody got the psd file of these or the other cassette case variant seen on nintendoage??

Neat Game Boy Pocket electroluminescent backlight mod was posted on this guy's channel. I have been watching his GBC mods in the past.

Same tech that lights the Game Boy Light (EL), but the end result is much sharper than a standard GBP. USB rechargeable battery too.
Only shame is how he hacked up the rear of the case.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LIbK-aVZ2k0

That's really neat. Looks like it'd be quite a task to install, but worth it in the end if you're the kind of person who enjoys playing around with the electronics.

Picked up Pokemon Trading Card Game and Final Fantasy Tactics Advance at the flea market this weekend. I was into the Pokemon collectible card game back in the day, so this feels like such a nostalgia throwback, lol. Excited to start FFTA too.

I had the OG GBA since it was released and until this year I only owned Super Mario Bros 3, Godzilla: Domination, and the e-Reader for the GBA. When I was a kid I would rent Jurassic Park: Park Builder and Metroid Fusion. I also have a Gameboy Player that I've had since I got my Gamecube in 2002.

I've been rebuying the games that I used to rent as a kid and I also got a Gameboy Micro.

75eYsBX.jpg

Dash Kappei

Yay, I'm proud of myself lol, really good deals lately (finally, for once I could be the one making people sorta "jealous")... In the end the dude got me an even sweeter deal:

Fire Emblem "One", Advance Wars complete, Wario 4 cart, Advance Wars 2 complete and Fire Emblem: Sacred Stones new (I had these two but got em stolen a few months ago) for... 40€ LOL!!!
I know you guys are better deal hunters but man this feels incredible to me ^__^
Also last week I got DK NES Classics and HM: FoMT(carts+mint instructions) for 10€ from the same guy, I think I might go gay for this fella if he keeps hooking me up like that XD

jiZ4byB.jpg

Really need to play Minish Cap - Got it free as part of the ambassador programme over here in the UK. Seems like a real quirky little title.

Grief.exe

Yay, I'm proud of myself lol, really good deals lately (finally, for once I could be the one making people sorta "jealous")... In the end the dude got me an even sweeter deal:

Fire Emblem "One", Advance Wars complete, Wario 4 cart, Advance Wars 2 complete and Fire Emblem: Sacred Stones new (I had these two but got em stolen a few months ago) for... 40€ LOL!!!
I know you guys are better deal hunters but man this feels incredible to me ^__^
Also last week I got DK NES Classics and HM: FoMT(carts+mint instructions) for 10€ from the same guy, I think I might go gay for this fella if he keeps hooking me up like that XD

jiZ4byB.jpg

Nice! I am just about to start up Fire Emblem Awakening on 3DS, I have been looking for good deals on the GBA Fire Emblems for a while now though.
I just have a feeling I will love the series.

Dash Kappei

Nice! I am just about to start up Fire Emblem Awakening on 3DS, I have been looking for good deals on the GBA Fire Emblems for a while now though.
I just have a feeling I will love the series.

Hey I've just started the 3DS game too a couple of hours ago, just built my character :) :brofist:
I love the series, love its traits like permadeath because I've never cared so much for characters in any other srpg, that's why even tho for the first time in a FE game you can get rid of permadeath I opted for classic gameplay without thinking about it even for a second.
My favorite FE game is NGC's Path of Radiance, which also sports the best story in the series which is tied together so well by all the minor character's side-stories and seeing it react to whoever you've lost or is still on your team (or has left you but still lives) makes it so... "real" and alive. Together with top notch art and gameplay, it really is a pinnacle for the genre. GBA's Sacred Stones is a good entry and perfect for beginners since it's the easiest in the series, it's also massive with two playable storylines (I suggest you keep a save game just before the branching option unless you want to re-do the first 17 (iirc) chapters: they actually succeeded in making both angles of the story worth experiencing, both maps/gameplay and narration-wise they keep things interesting for >30hours.
The first GBA FE is a classic too, and the Wii game is still very good. Didn't like at all the DS games, too bad.
Never played the Famicom(?)/Super Famicom games.

It's hidden. Press L, Select, and right on the D-Pad immediately after turning the Gameboy Advance on to see the option.

Holy cow, you sir are a freakin' STAR!
Why the hell would they do it like that, don't tell me it's actually written in the manual lol :shame:

A friend of mine found a box of cassettes next to the bin at university, and grabbed them all for me since I've told him about this idea a while ago. Spent about 6 hours last night sorting through the cassettes to find ones with nice looking cases, modifying the ones that needed modifying, and making appropriate covers in Photoshop.

This is the end result.
So happy with how they turned out. Now I just need to buy a shelf to put them all on!

Got my GBC from rose colored gaming. Kind of disappointed of it.

The screen is not that good and has dust under it, the case has a lot of dents and the dpad is very stiff. All in all, not happy with it specially since I got one of the new ones that are even more expensive than before.

Really regretting this buy.

Zalman

A friend of mine found a box of cassettes next to the bin at university, and grabbed them all for me since I've told him about this idea a while ago. Spent about 6 hours last night sorting through the cassettes to find ones with nice looking cases, modifying the ones that needed modifying, and making appropriate covers in Photoshop.

This is the end result.

So happy with how they turned out. Now I just need to buy a shelf to put them all on!
Nice! Must feel good to finally have it done.

Top Bottom