• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GB/GBC/GBA Collecting Thread

Peagles

Got my GBC from rose colored gaming. Kind of disappointed of it.

The screen is not that good and has dust under it, the case has a lot of dents and the dpad is very stiff. All in all, not happy with it specially since I got one of the new ones that are even more expensive than before.

Really regretting this buy.

That sucks :(

I really need to re-solder my attempt at the GBC frontlit mod. I think I was bad at soldering that day and did a dirty job.

The screen is not that good and has dust under it, the case has a lot of dents and the dpad is very stiff. All in all, not happy with it specially since I got one of the new ones that are even more expensive than before.

Hmm, I was contemplating getting a GBA from them, I might still go through with it but this is making me hesitant.

cafemomo

75eYsBX.jpg

How is Ace Combat Advance?

Thinking about picking it up

Went by book off over the weekend and saw that they had restocked a lot of their used GB and GBC games and spent a while looking for the one GBC game I really wanted, Goemon Hoshizorashi Dynamites Awaru, since they had some of the other GB and GBC Goemon Goemon in stock. They didn't have it, but I stopped at my favorite used collectible store on the way home, Takara 1-ban, and checked and they did, in fact, have it. Now I only need to get the last of the PS1 Goemon games to finish my collection. They also had an unopened Super Famicom style Wii classic controller in stock which I promptly made my own.

Dash Kappei

Not actually that important
How easy is It to replace the battery in Pokemon's GBA games? Never attempted or needed something like that so I don't know the process/costs.
Got a dead battery on Ruby, can you still do evolutions and breed if clock's events don't work anymore?

bjork

How easy is It to replace the battery in Pokemon's GBA games? Never attempted or needed something like that so I don't know the process/costs.
Got a dead battery on Ruby, can you still do evolutions and breed if clock's events don't work anymore?

Evolutions still happen for sure, I played through ruby earlier this year and had the battery warning every time I loaded the save. I don't think I did any breeding, but I know I hatched the wynaut egg. Moved all the guys to a soulsilver save and they went over just fine. Only thing I remember it affecting was the berries, but I know someone else here will have a full list of what changes with a dead battery.

Went by book off over the weekend and saw that they had restocked a lot of their used GB and GBC games and spent a while looking for the one GBC game I really wanted, Goemon Hoshizorashi Dynamites Awaru, since they had some of the other GB and GBC Goemon Goemon in stock. They didn't have it, but I stopped at my favorite used collectible store on the way home, Takara 1-ban, and checked and they did, in fact, have it. Now I only need to get the last of the PS1 Goemon games to finish my collection. They also had an unopened Super Famicom style Wii classic controller in stock which I promptly made my own.
How does the SFC reproduction controller feel. Is it as good as the original?

Roge_NES

Perhaps some people are interested in this, I wanted to protect my boxed GBA games, but I didn't want to invest a lot of money in protectors, so I bought a 50 pack of 6" x 9" cellophane bag envelopes from Ebay for $5.

The boxes fit perfectly inside them.

f9QN4hz.jpg

M3h02us.jpg

daripad

Good morning guys!

I have a lot of questions since I'd like to start collecting portable games and I do have a OG Gameboy Advance but I can't play on it since I can't see anything when playing at night. I'd like to get a GBA system that has lighting so I can play anywhere and I'd like a region free one (if possible). I still don't know which one is better for those thing, Micro or SP? I'd like to play those games that need movement like Wario Ware and Yoshi. Also I'd like to play GBC and GB games but I don't know if those systems have a good backwards compatibility or I should stick to playing them on their original systems (which might not have the good lighting, right?).

Second, I won't be able to get boxed games because they are too expensive for me, so I'll just print the covers and try to get some boxes. Does anyone know where in Mexico can I find boxes? And what kind of boxes should I use for the GBA, GBC and GB games respectivly? It seems that DS boxes work for GBA but I don't know anything about the other games.

That's what I want to know right now, thanks in anticipation!

Peagles

Good morning guys!

I have a lot of questions since I'd like to start collecting portable games and I do have a OG Gameboy Advance but I can't play on it since I can't see anything when playing at night. I'd like to get a GBA system that has lighting so I can play anywhere and I'd like a region free one (if possible). I still don't know which one is better for those thing, Micro or SP? I'd like to play those games that need movement like Wario Ware and Yoshi. Also I'd like to play GBC and GB games but I don't know if those systems have a good backwards compatibility or I should stick to playing them on their original systems (which might not have the good lighting, right?).

Second, I won't be able to get boxed games because they are too expensive for me, so I'll just print the covers and try to get some boxes. Does anyone know where in Mexico can I find boxes? And what kind of boxes should I use for the GBA, GBC and GB games respectivly? It seems that DS boxes work for GBA but I don't know anything about the other games.

That's what I want to know right now, thanks in anticipation!

Don't worry about region free, all Gameboys are region free. Sounds like you might want to do a back lit mod on your GBA.

Krammy

With regards to region locking:
All Game Boy's are region free (from the original Game Boy to the Game Boy Advance Micro), so this won't be an issue at all for you!

With regards to backwards compatability:
The Game Boy Advance and Game Boy Advance SP both have backwards compatibility, but the Game Boy Advance Micro does not.

With regards to lighting:
The Game Boy Advance SP comes in two versions, the AGS-001 model, and the AGS-101 model. AGS-001 is the original and is frontlit, while the AGS-101 is backlit. If you're looking for the brightest way to play, you're looking for the backlit AGS-101 model! The Game Boy Advance Micro is also backlit. Alternatively, if you feel like shelling out the extra money, and prefer the Original Game Boy Advance design, you can have a back-light modded into it!

I've actually just gotten into rebuying and collecting a bunch of my old favorite GBA and GBC games.
I bought a the backlit GBA SP on eBay in great condition as well and I'm enjoying that quite a lot.

I did get burned with the copy of Pokemon LeafGreen I bought. I got the the ship where you learn cut and right before the last fight, the game crashes. Eventually the game just deleted my 10 hour save. I went to sell it back only to find out it was a pirated copy.
Oh well, at least I have Heart Gold, so I don't really HAVE to have LeafGreen to Catch 'em All. And I bought a non-pirated (it better be!) copy of Emerald so I lucked out there. Can't wait to duplicate-glitch some Master Balls!

I ALMOST bought a copy of Wario Land 3, but the clerk was selling it to a guy just as I got to the store. :( I'll probably just end up getting the e-shop version on my 3DS, since I already have the first Wario Land on there.

I'm having a tough time finding Metroid: Zero Mission as well. There aren't a ton of places near me with GBA games anymore and neither of them had it. I'll probably just end up getting that online since it's one of the last GBA games I'm really looking for.

daripad

Thanks for all the responses guys, you are awesoome!

It will be difficult to hunt that GBA SP down but I'll do it. I was checking it but some are very expensive, going from $50 to $100 and then $150 and so on. And none of them seem to not have a scratch :'( Oh well, I don't really care about the console but the games, so I'll just get a cheap one.

maxcriden

Latest additions to my growing GB/GBC/GBA library (185 games and counting).

OMG, Tony Hawk's Pro Skater 2 was amazing! It was a launch title for the GBA and really blew my mind at the time. I think it's graphics are still some of the best on GBA. There was nothing else that came close to it at launch in that respect so it really stood out. It was extremely playable and addictive, too, one of my favorite entires in that franchise. I hope you dig it!

pikablu

OMG, Tony Hawk's Pro Skater 2 was amazing! It was a launch title for the GBA and really blew my mind at the time. I think it's graphics are still some of the best on GBA. There was nothing else that came close to it at launch in that respect so it really stood out. It was extremely playable and addictive, too, one of my favorite entires in that franchise. I hope you dig it!

I really liked THPS3 for GBA. I remember getting it at target for like $5 once.

I also once rented THPS2 for GBC once and really loved it but when I picked it up for cheap a couple years back I couldn't stand it.

Dash Kappei

Game was really cool but I don't see how THPS2's GBA gfx were "amazing", I mean it's basic isometric stuff.

Max Payne GBA "port" was equally outstanding.

Dash Kappei

EDIT 2: NEW STOCK! PM me as usual if interested

EDIT: ALL GONE NOW, SORRY helped out 7 gaffers in the end, I wish they'd be less shy and come out of the woods already, if just because I'm curious if they found 'em decent for the price.

Btw, thought maybe this would help some of you guys with a busted Micro who can't find non-expensive decent faceplates.
Won't post it publicly because they'd be gone is a second with lurkers, so PM me to find out where to buy them.
There aren't many, so hurry up and PLEASE don't buy more than one (I'll find out) unless you're a jackass. These are for *us*, not for reselling them and make a quick buck or to stuff 'm up in case they break and you fear you'll be out in the future... Even I, I avoided getting two just so I could share them here and help out some GAF buddies.
The case is pretty amazing, and the faceplates do their job and are proper (not "stickers") ones even tho the quality falls just a bit short of the originals by Nintendo. Good thing is they come wrapped in anti-scratch protectors.
Prize is pretty incredible IMO, £5 for the bundle. Ships to UK for £2 and internationally for £3.85 iirc
(edit: didn't have any problems having it shipped to Italy but some Countries might be excluded nice a GAFfer couldn't make the order go through)

You can see I've mounted the azure faceplate on my Micro and how it compares to my original silver, you also get a pink one, the key to remove a faceplate and the case.

Got my back lit GBA from Japan this week, courtesy seller ferrerhk on Ebay. I found the communication from the seller a little lacking - I was left a couple days after I did the "buy it now" thing wondering if they'd received my payment (in fairness, it was a weekend), but the shipping was quick, and the system I received is very nice. The shell is in great condition and the mod work seems to have been done flawlessly. I purchased the model he offers without the switch for brightness settings (I figured that I never used it on my GBASP-101 anyway). Total cost to my door was less than $100. I'm very satisfied.

GHtTGmc.jpg

Got my back lit GBA from Japan this week, courtesy seller ferrerhk on Ebay. I found the communication from the seller a little lacking - I was left a couple days after I did the "buy it now" thing wondering if they'd received my payment (in fairness, it was a weekend), but the shipping was quick, and the system I received is very nice. The shell is in great condition and the mod work seems to have been done flawlessly. I purchased the model he offers without the switch for brightness settings (I figured that I never used it on my GBASP-101 anyway). Total cost to my door was less than $100. I'm very satisfied.

GHtTGmc.jpg

Far out, that looks so good. Might just go for one of those instead of a GBA SP AGS-101. The original GBA's form factor is a little friendlier to my adult man hands than the SP.

maxcriden

Game was really cool but I don't see how THPS2's GBA gfx were "amazing", I mean it's basic isometric stuff.

Max Payne GBA "port" was equally outstanding.

I dunno what to tell you. They may not seem as impressive now, but at the time the GFX were far beyond anything I'd seen on a handheld.

maxcriden

I really liked THPS3 for GBA. I remember getting it at target for like $5 once.

I also once rented THPS2 for GBC once and really loved it but when I picked it up for cheap a couple years back I couldn't stand it.

Yeah, the GBC one was definitely much more simplistic in design. I think I bought it and I remember getting bored with it pretty quickly.

LSworks

Neo Member

Oh that sucks. I also ordered a GBC from them, had it shipped to a friend in the U.S., so I haven't seen it yet (will collect it next week).

Which color did you order?

Btw, I thought they used new shells, how can it be dented?

Uhm, I hope I didn't waste 100$...

D-e-f-

Banned
Ubisoft logo on the SF cart?

Guessing Capcom didn't publish that title in the PAL regions

Yea there were some weird publishing sharing duties going on in the old days. You still see it today in Japan where Square Enix is publishing Activision games for example. Want to see a Call of Duty game with a Square Enix logo? Buy a JP import :D

Oh that sucks. I also ordered a GBC from them, had it shipped to a friend in the U.S., so I haven't seen it yet (will collect it next week).

Which color did you order?

Btw, I thought they used new shells, how can it be dented?

Uhm, I hope I didn't waste 100$...

I thought the same but it seems they just repaint old cases. Got the purple one since red and blue were sold out.

Dash Kappei

VENOM's GBA MICRO faceplates are ALL GONE NOW

Last one snagged by gaffer Blue Submarine No.6 I guess. Hope they'll do the job buddy.
I doubt there'll ever be more stock, but if that happens I will post it in here so there's no point in PMing me to ask if/when they're coming back, for now just assume the answer is never, sorry.

Peagles

EDIT: ALL GONE NOW, SORRY helped out 7 gaffers in the end, I wish they'd be less shy and come out of the woods already, if just because I'm curious if they found 'em decent for the price.

Haha I felt too shy to even PM to ask cos it sounded like some serious business. Hope those who got them are happy with them though!

How is Ace Combat Advance?

Thinking about picking it up

Yeah, don't. Unless you can find it for $0.50 like I did. I don't even remember why I rented it years ago.

My main focus as of late after getting Jurassic Park: Park Builder has been trying to find a good faceplate for my Micro. The one I have is scratched to hell, unfortunately it looks like I missed the train here already. Rose Colored Gaming isn't making more of theirs either it seems.

cafemomo

Yeah, don't. Unless you can find it for $0.50 like I did. I don't even remember why I rented it years ago.

really that bad? :(

fake edit: just looked it up

oh wow, I though it was gonna be some awesome high octane airplane side scrollan shoot em up

Thanks for the tip Blue Submarine, I might get one of those. The Micro is just not good enough, it doesn't feel right and the screen of my frontlit GBC from rose colored gaming is too washed out.

cafemomo

Buy the lot :p

But yeh $15 is good for CIB Harmony IMO.

I'll admit I've never really dove into Castlevania than the one on the 3DS and lords of shadow on the PS3. (and I never finished them) but I hear the DS and GBA ones a bretty gud.

which is the best castlevania out of that bunch?

I'll admit I've never really dove into Castlevania than the one on the 3DS and lords of shadow on the PS3. (and I never finished them) but I hear the DS and GBA ones a bretty gud.

which is the best castlevania out of that bunch?

For $75 I would grab them all... that's only like $12.50 a game. However, the best ones are:

GBA: Aria of Sorrow
DS: Dawn of Sorrow or Order of Ecclesia

(My personal fave of all six is Aria of Sorrow, absolutely amazing game and one of the best in the GBA library)

Peagles

Lol, sorry if I gave you that impression :(
I'm always pretty happy to help out a fellow gaffer

Hehe, well I felt hesitant because I still technically have access to faceplates via Nintendo Australia, even if it is a pain in the butt to get them, at least I still can.

I need a faceplate tool though, I guess I should have asked Nintendo Aus if they had those, but I didn't think of it at the time, doh! I use my fingernails but I bet one day I'll snap something vital off (not off of myself, but the faceplates, lol).

baphomet

Dammit, why did i miss out of those faceplates? I know where a micro is with a hideos camo faceplate for less than $50. I wont buy it until i have a faceplate on its way though.

cafemomo

For $75 I would grab them all... that's only like $12.50 a game. However, the best ones are:

GBA: Aria of Sorrow
DS: Dawn of Sorrow or Order of Ecclesia

(My personal fave of all six is Aria of Sorrow, absolutely amazing game and one of the best in the GBA library)

I'd love to buy them all, but I'm saving some money for gifts and such for Christmas.

How long are the games you rec'd btw?

Top Bottom