• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GB/GBC/GBA Collecting Thread

Grief.exe

Yeah this

there are some really nice covers here http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=442713

and over at the cover project

Better off using cover project than the custom cover thread, that thread is mainly for console gamers. Though I have been contributing PC covers over there for a little while.

As suppa said, use the Cover Project. Here is the site: http://www.thecoverproject.net/

I have mine in DS cases and printed off covers from the project. My only regret is I got some used cases from ebay that were in horrible condition.

iCM4AArnTTji0.png

I printed my SNES covers off from there as well:

ibippHnEszZ8Wm.png

JohnnieTheGamer

Neo Member
My only regret is I got some used cases from ebay that were in horrible condition.

Same here. I bought about 15 of them off ebay. Half were in decent shape, but the other half were obviously Gamestop throwaways and the seller tried to remove all the stickers by scratching them off, leaving the outer sleeves looking like crap. I wish he had just left the stickers on and I could have easily removed them myself with some Goo Gone.

Its too bad Nintendo stopped selling the DS cases with GBA slots. If they weren't so cheaply made, I'd look into buying some of those generic/third-party DS cases.

Grief.exe

That collection is so good.

I like how they are all uniform. My tends to look disjointed since some of them are in the original boxes with the majority in cases. I've contemplated putting the original boxes on one side and the DS boxes on another.

Zalman

Here's a picture of my collection I took a few months ago. It has changed a bit since then (got some Mega Man games and the Pac-Man Collection as well), but this is mostly what it curently looks like.

30atnvd_zps98262246.jpg

They're in DS cases, if you were wondering.

plc268

That collection is so good.

I like how they are all uniform. My tends to look disjointed since some of them are in the original boxes with the majority in cases. I've contemplated putting the original boxes on one side and the DS boxes on another.

There's still a couple of games I'm missing, like the Kirby games and some other random games, but I'm mostly done. I do want to pick up the Kururin games though. I recently picked up F-Zero Climax, it's my favorite of the F-zero series so far.

I mostly skipped on the Super Mario Advance series, mostly because I already have the games in another form already. It'd be kinda redundant to have those, at this point.

But if there's any glaring stuff missing from my GBA collection, I'm all ears.

I am in love with your custom cases, everyone.
I am looking around for a whole pile of clear cassette cases to do this.
img0696do.jpg

They're hard to come by in Australia, can see heaps from the US but shipping is a killer. Probably gonna have to troll through op-shops and buy up cheap crappy tapes.

Zalman

drool worthy shot Zalman, for real. nice man
Thanks! It took a while, but I'm very happy with my collection. I think I have basically everything I wanted right now. If there's any games you guys think I'm missing, let me know.

img0696do.jpg
That's pretty creative. Looks great. Hope you find the cases.

Mikhal

img0696do.jpg

They're hard to come by in Australia, can see heaps from the US but shipping is a killer. Probably gonna have to troll through op-shops and buy up cheap crappy tapes.

That cassette case idea looks awesome! Is there a place that has the covers for them or were they custom made?

Mikhal

They were discussed earlier in the thread.

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=62077409&postcount=964

The blog post links to a Cover Project thread with a bunch of them

Nice! Definitely gonna try some out down the line when I get some cassette cases. I've been buying Sega Genesis games like a madman the last couple weeks and found out the cassette tape storage rack work great with loose carts among other things.

http://www.videogamecollectors.com/gallery2/main.php?g2_itemId=10147&g2_imageViewsIndex=1

isny

napkin dispenser
I wasn't aware Nintendo wasn't selling the cases any longer. If any Canadian wants to buy my stockpile, feel free to PM me and we can work something out.

I wasn't aware Nintendo wasn't selling the cases any longer. If any Canadian wants to buy my stockpile, feel free to PM me and we can work something out.

I though Nintendo stopped producing cases with the GBA notches? The new ones only have a DS card receptacle.

Zalman

Here's a handy tip for people who want to use DS cases: The European cases (see my picture above) are a little thicker than the black ones from the US, which means GB/GBC cartridges fit without any need for modifications. I just place them where the manual usually is. I hear you can use 3DS cases too, though.

Of course, GBA games are no problem, provided you're able to find the old DS cases with the GBA spots.

Finally begun my GBA collecting and theres no better start than one of my favorite series in video-gaming: Castlevania. Got these for very good prices last week and I'm excited to relive the occult classics (especially Aria!). Now all I need is Circle of the Moon to complete my GBA collection (probably wont get the double pack/classic re releases).

Both CIB.

photo2_zps1af8f1ad.jpg

photo_zpsc93ea13c.jpg

I do have a question however: Unfortunately there is some sharpie writing on my Aria of Sorrow manual so I was wondering if anyone here had any remedies/simple means of removing it without damaging the paper? Any help would be most appreciated of course!

photo1_zps4a6eb769.jpg

Dash Kappei

Not actually that important
Latest addition to my collection, I know it's probably not that good but I need every handheld Castlevania for my collection, iirc there's also a CII:SQ NES Classics? How much should I pay for a CiB?

Paid 10€ for this today, hopefully a good deal:
iBydsr8.jpg

maxcriden

I just saw Donkey Kong Country 2 and 3 in Zalman's pic above. I had no idea they ever game out for GBA. How are they? I'd be playing on a DS Lite (blasphemy for this thread, perhaps!).

I just saw Donkey Kong Country 2 and 3 in Zalman's pic above. I had no idea they ever game out for GBA. How are they? I'd be playing on a DS Lite (blasphemy for this thread, perhaps!).

The GBA ports of the DKC games are generally frowned upon by fans of the SNES originals. First of all, the colors were re-done to be much brighter to compensate for the dimness of the original unlit GBA. On a DSLite, the game will look fluorescent. The music quality suffers as you might expect from the inferior GBA sound capability, and the DKC3 soundtrack was replaced completely.

I like the games themselves very much though, so if the GBA ports are the only way you can experience them (especially now that the SNES originals have been de-listed from VC), then I say go for it.

kwheaties

Alright need some advice... i may need to start selling off my massive GB/GBC/GBA collection and i was curious what's the best place to do this. I'm not a big fan of ebay, but I'm not sure if craigslist is good too.

Also, anyone know where to find the general value of the games? All of my GBA games are complete with box and instructions in perfect shape. I have a number of GB games that are complete as well (e.g. Kid Icarus, Ninja Gaiden Shadow, Zeldas, etc).

Thanks!

maxcriden

The GBA ports of the DKC games are generally frowned upon by fans of the SNES originals. First of all, the colors were re-done to be much brighter to compensate for the dimness of the original unlit GBA. On a DSLite, the game will look fluorescent. The music quality suffers as you might expect from the inferior GBA sound capability, and the DKC3 soundtrack was replaced completely.

I like the games themselves very much though, so if the GBA ports are the only way you can experience them (especially now that the SNES originals have been de-listed from VC), then I say go for it.

Cool, thanks for the info! Sounds like the changes are more just aesthetic. I'm not too concerned about the soundtrack I guess. As you said this is the only way I'm going to get to play them it seems. I never could get into the original DKC using the GC controller on the Wii version. Is there a GBA version of this as well? I've really only played DK Land, DK64, a bit of DKC, and DKCR 3D. I'll probably get them used. I just bought the entire Mario Advance series (I've only really played SMA: SMB2 (years ago) and a bit of SMW, never played SMB3 or SMW2 at all) and I'm ready to dig into those when I beat Super Metroid on the Wii U VC. (So many acronyms!)

maxcriden

Alright need some advice... i may need to start selling off my massive GB/GBC/GBA collection and i was curious what's the best place to do this. I'm not a big fan of ebay, but I'm not sure if craigslist is good too.

Also, anyone know where to find the general value of the games? All of my GBA games are complete with box and instructions in perfect shape. I have a number of GB games that are complete as well (e.g. Kid Icarus, Ninja Gaiden Shadow, Zeldas, etc).

Thanks!

You could always do the NeoGAF Buy/Sell/Trade thread. I'm sure I would be interested to see what you've got available. I would use Amazon.com used prices or eBay ended auctions to see what they're typically going for. I find Amazon to be a pretty good barometer.

The_Afroman

Posted this in the B/S/T if anyone is interested.

Silver/Black Game Boy Micro w/ EZ Flash IV[ - $120 O.B.O /U]

Yet again, bought this thinking i would use this to catch up, but realized my hands are just too big for it. Love it, but it's got to go to a nice new home. Ordered the EZ Flash and waited almost 2 months for it. Great card, little finicky with the SW renaming roms wrong, but what ever. Plays everything i throw at it. Comes with charger and SD card. I think it's 2gb Mini

Zalman

They're not bad, but not as good as the SNES versions. The reason why I have them is that I don't own an SNES. As sixteen-bit said, if this is your only way to play them then go for it.

plc268

Well yeah
Leaf Green has a lighter tone to it than Emerald.

It amazes me why people would peel off the labels. Especially on a Pokemon game.

The label was probably already bad, and the owner figured it'd look better without the label. Judging by the labels on some of the other games, the games were handled pretty roughly.

jerry1594

I've been trying to remember this series of 'games' lately. I remember they were very short, experimental and the came in white, sparely designed boxes. Japan only I think. Anybody know what i'm talking about?

Peagles

On this note, anyone know the bet place to get faceplates for micros? I only have 2, camo and black. I NEED silver in a way I can only describe as unhealthy.

Nintendo Australia still has them.

I've been trying to remember this series of 'games' lately. I remember they were very short, experimental and the came in white, sparely designed boxes. Japan only I think. Anybody know what i'm talking about?

Bit Generations?

On this note, anyone know the bet place to get faceplates for micros? I only have 2, camo and black. I NEED silver in a way I can only describe as unhealthy.

If it's design over officiality (possibly not a real word) you're after, check out Rose Colored Gaming. They make their own that look utterly amazing. The recased GBAs are a thing of beauty too, if I hadn't dropped £70 on a silver backlit modded GBA, I think I'd have to spend the cash on one of the Spaceworld models.

Top Bottom