• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gears of War 2 |OT| ...Maria...MARIA!!!

bumpkin

Cuban Legend, add me to your friends list if you're interested in some KOTH XP pillaging this weekend. :D

Edit: Man, it's a pain trying to find the right matches. So far I'm 0-for-8.

bumpkin said:
Cuban Legend, add me to your friends list if you're interested in some KOTH XP pillaging this weekend. :D

Edit: Man, it's a pain trying to find the right matches. So far I'm 0-for-8.
Added you and one other I assume if also GAF, i will be available Saturday after 3PM Eastern, -5GMT.

bumpkin

Cuban Legend said:
Added you and one other I assume if also GAF, i will be available Saturday after 3PM Eastern, -5GMT.
Alright, cool. I don't suppose you have another 8 people who can/will play. It seems like the social matches are full of assbags with "wings" that keep breaking it up.

Okay i have 2 friends in a party with me and am online now.

I cannot use party chat, only ingame chat, because I'm in the Preview program.

Join in on me and bring your friends.

bumpkin

Cuban Legend said:
Okay i have 2 friends in a party with me and am online now.

I cannot use party chat, only ingame chat, because I'm in the Preview program.

Join in on me and bring your friends.
Huzzah! Finally got my wings. Sorry for bailing right after. My wife was yelling at me that we had to ear dinner. :lol

was 68 when i started today and ended up 76, we kept getting crap games with non-cooperators so my 2 friends and i decided to bail out for the day.

MjFrancis

Got up to level 64 by the end of Sunday. Only one King of the Hill boosting match, played after I started a game in an empty lobby against bots. The room filled up, and in the next match everyone pulled out their smokes and I resigned myself to the herd. It was pleasant to gain a bundle of XP in a half-hour, but it was also boring. I'll forgo boosting during the next XP event.

In the meantime, I suppose I'll work on upping my online game and finish out the achievements on this game. Veteran Gear might be attainable, depending on how often I play during the upcoming Xp events (I'm certain there will be more in the coming months). Party Like it's 1999 will happen naturally since I'm already up to 450 or so rounds. Getting the rest of the horde achievements and playing the other game modes will take care of this I'm sure.

Seriously 2.0 is a completely different matter. I've only amassed 3,500 kills, so getting the full 100,000 will be a feat without grinding through the Brumak section of the campaign for ten hours. If I play enough, I might have 10,000 kills before I resort to such shenanigans. I'll probably be content to have every achievement except for this one.

Effect

How generous is the checkpoint system in Gears 1 and 2? When you die are you making up just a few seconds from the last encounter or several minutes, etc?

Effect said:
How generous is the checkpoint system in Gears 1 and 2? When you die are you making up just a few seconds from the last encounter or several minutes, etc?
Gears 2 is pretty generous. Gears 1 much less so. I feel the difficulty is pretty manageable on lower difficulties, though here are several one-shot deaths on Insane.

-PXG-

Effect said:

It varies. On the most part, I think it's pretty fair and doesn't fuck you over. There are a few occasions where the is a checkpoint before a cut-scene though. Yeah, it's annoying but a rare occurrence.

And yes, be prepared to die a lot on Insane. And by a lot, I mean A LOT. Beating Gears 1 or 2 on Insane, solo is no easy feat. I did it for the first game, not the second. It wasn't too hard once set I set a good pace for myself and got a better understanding of how much damage Marcus could take. Well...until I got to Raam....That was just stupid.

Anything that is damn near impossible, in games, I label as "Stupid Hard". Most games that are "Stupid Hard" are shmups, fighthing games and pretty much anything hardcore from Japan. Kojima should put that in Rising. European Extreme would be a cake walk :lol

EDIT

My definition. I might add it to Urban Dictionary

Stupid Hard

def - Something, usually pertaining to video games, so difficult, that is nearly impossible to over come. It is believed that human beings don't possess the physical capabilities or the mental acumen to complete any task that is labeled as such. The level of difficulty is considered "stupid" mainly because the end user feels so utterly hopeless and foolish for even having the slightest notion that he/she could complete the task at hand.

MjFrancis

It's already halfway over, but what the hell, I'll post it:

12 Days of Gearsmas

1. Bringing the concuss back for day - Dec 22
2. 2 Flaming Bloodmounts (2 Bloodmounts with Flamethrowers every wave) - Dec 23
3. 3 Extra Clips (3 extra clips of ammo in every weapon) - Dec 24
4. 4 Frag grenades (Frag grenade pickups have 4) - Dec 25
5. 5 Torque Bow Tags (Many rifle creatures carry Torque Bows in Horde) - Dec 26
6. 6 Melee Monsters (All melee creatures Horde) - Dec 27
7. 7 Sires a storming - Dec 28
8. 8 Old School Gears Heads (4 v 4 MP) - Dec 29
9. 9 Boomers Booming (Boomer squads on every wave) - Dec 30
10. 10 Waves of Tickers (all Ticker Horde) - Dec 31
11. 11 Wretches Wretching (Wretches with Shotguns) - Jan 1
12. Some of the above (1, 3, 4, 8, 10) - Jan 2

+ XP bonuses

The all-melee horde event sounds like a blast. I've got far too much on my plate tomorrow but I'm still going to make some time for this.

So I just finished this game and I don't understand the official thread title. I was anticipating some really cheesy and badly acted scene with someone shouting Maariaa! but it never happened. In fact the script was surprisingly cheese free for the most part. Way to get my hopes up Gaf.

Brolic Gaoler

formerly Alienshogun
Is the competitive MP for this game still thriving? Last time I saw it on the UUs it was pretty low, but I think it has less playlists, which would make the community less spread out.

Looking to actually getting into this game.

MjFrancis

Maybe not thriving, but it's there. It's easy to find a Social match during the evening PST. During the XP events it really fills in, so that's something. King of the Hill matches all succumb to boosting during these events, though.

I play Horde 70% of the time, and I never have trouble finding people for Social matches.

What are the best multiplayer? My friend and I just bought and completed Gears of War 2. The campaign was EXCELLENT. I was truly impressed. Now I'm wondering if multiplayer is worth it ... ?

lucablight said:
So I just finished this game and I don't understand the official thread title. I was anticipating some really cheesy and badly acted scene with someone shouting Maariaa! but it never happened. In fact the script was surprisingly cheese free for the most part. Way to get my hopes up Gaf.

Yeah, me too. There was some dumb stuff here and there, but that section was quite all right. In fact, I actually...enjoyed...the script. Double in fact, I wish there was more of it.

Brolic Gaoler

formerly Alienshogun
Any gaffers that still play this let me know, I'm looking for some GearsGAF buddies.

I play a lot of Horde right now, but I'm also learning the MP.

whitehawk

Banned
Alienshogun said:
Any gaffers that still play this let me know, I'm looking for some GearsGAF buddies.

I play a lot of Horde right now, but I'm also learning the MP.
Haven't played in a while but I just bought gold and I'm up for playing some Gears 2 this weekend. Add me and I'll play with you.

MjFrancis

I just finished Tenchu Z so I'm back on my Gears 2 trip. I have to finish Nowhere on Horde as well, but I have waves 1-49 to tackle and I wasn't going to try for a few weeks yet. I'm finishing out my Guardian achievement and I was going to follow that up with my three Wingman wins and Annex with Execution mode. I think I have 4 maps done in that. I beat wave 50 in the Nowhere map when it was the all-Ticker horde around New Years. I wish I could have done more maps this way, but then again while it was super easy it was very time consuming all by myself.

I've got 4 Guardian wins as the leader, but I failed two of my six attempts yesterday. There was one group I was playing with who had a solid expert on their side - the guy was almost untouchable. Planted grenades in hard-to-see places, could track you with a longshot across the map and roll with the Gnasher with crazy accuracy. He clearly wasn't cheating, and I'm only a passable Gears player, but everything I tried he could counter with ease. Tracking him with a shotty at close-range was a nightmare. I think he ended most matches with 15-20 kills and 2-3 deaths. I had some good players on my team, too.

The only two times I killed him was when he was preoccupied with one or two other aggressive players, and I would roll in and chainsaw him while he wasn't looking.

Brolic Gaoler

formerly Alienshogun
MjFrancis said:
I just finished Tenchu Z so I'm back on my Gears 2 trip. I have to finish Nowhere on Horde as well, but I have waves 1-49 to tackle and I wasn't going to try for a few weeks yet. I'm finishing out my Guardian achievement and I was going to follow that up with my three Wingman wins and Annex with Execution mode. I think I have 4 maps done in that. I beat wave 50 in the Nowhere map when it was the all-Ticker horde around New Years. I wish I could have done more maps this way, but then again while it was super easy it was very time consuming all by myself.

I've got 4 Guardian wins as the leader, but I failed two of my six attempts yesterday. There was one group I was playing with who had a solid expert on their side - the guy was almost untouchable. Planted grenades in hard-to-see places, could track you with a longshot across the map and roll with the Gnasher with crazy accuracy. He clearly wasn't cheating, and I'm only a passable Gears player, but everything I tried he could counter with ease. Tracking him with a shotty at close-range was a nightmare. I think he ended most matches with 15-20 kills and 2-3 deaths. I had some good players on my team, too.

The only two times I killed him was when he was preoccupied with one or two other aggressive players, and I would roll in and chainsaw him while he wasn't looking.

Well at least you probably made him rage.

MjFrancis

You can be sure of it. Being killed by a chainsaw in Gears means you screwed up pretty bad.

He may have even singled me out after that and popped me more times that I'd care to admit.

MjFrancis

The next XP event is Feb 28th through March 7th. Link to Epic forums.

I only played a few Wingman maps for the XP event that's wrapping up now. Got a few matches with a bot partner, which sucks balls, but lucked out with two matches with a high-tier player. This cat didn't give me instructions, he just rolled around and capped six or seven guys every round all by himself. I just followed and added some buckshot to help him along. When I could catch up, that is.

Getting that third win was painful. Wingman is co-op rather than team-based, so it's a much better measure of personal skill - of which I'm still lacking. No luck on Guardian today, but I could only play for an hour.

MjFrancis

I've been working on getting all 8/8 maps won for the Annex: Now With Execution Rules achievement, and it hasn't been happening. It's been the most frustrating Gears milestone I've been going for so far since I can't pick the last map that I need to win (Fuel Station). Luckily enough, Social maps are on a momentarily predictable rotation, and since I've wasted enough time trying to get it, I've figured that it's after the Nowhere map right now. Twice I make it to the Fuel Station map, and I lose both times miserably (not to mention the times I've lost it in the past two weeks). First time, my whole team ragequits within moments of the match beginning and the second time we just come up really short. The third opportunity I got and seconds into the match my connection gets lost to the host - the only time it's happened today. Shit!

I get one last opportunity to go at it when I come across another match on Nowhere, and I push through that only to find that the Social map rotation has changed to have Day One follow Nowhere instead of Fuel Station. Fuck this shit. Seriously, fuck this shit. /rant

I've had fun playing Annex, though, and I'll still try again tomorrow. I'll get it eventually.

I need to find someone to go through the campaign cooperatively. I just want to do a quick run through on the normal setting to get the majority of the co-op achievements.

I have played through both GEARS titles on hard so I'm not terrible, but I'm definately no ace either. I honestly don't care at all how good or bad you are, or even a complete GEARS noob as I'm pretty laidback when it comes to games. Im mainly looking to play during the day, 9-5 central, but I can play other times as well. If you are interested shoot me a message via LIVE. My gamertag is UR BUS IS SHORT

MjFrancis said:
I've been working on getting all 8/8 maps won for the Annex: Now With Execution Rules achievement, and it hasn't been happening. It's been the most frustrating Gears milestone I've been going for so far since I can't pick the last map that I need to win (Fuel Station). Luckily enough, Social maps are on a momentarily predictable rotation, and since I've wasted enough time trying to get it, I've figured that it's after the Nowhere map right now. Twice I make it to the Fuel Station map, and I lose both times miserably (not to mention the times I've lost it in the past two weeks). First time, my whole team ragequits within moments of the match beginning and the second time we just come up really short. The third opportunity I got and seconds into the match my connection gets lost to the host - the only time it's happened today. Shit!

I get one last opportunity to go at it when I come across another match on Nowhere, and I push through that only to find that the Social map rotation has changed to have Day One follow Nowhere instead of Fuel Station. Fuck this shit. Seriously, fuck this shit. /rant

I've had fun playing Annex, though, and I'll still try again tomorrow. I'll get it eventually.

Is this one of the "no customs" achievements because I've gotten similar achievements by playing local games against bots.

MjFrancis

Unfortunately all maps for the achievement only unlock on Ranked or Social matches. No Custom or Local Annex plays count. Once upon a time, Epic supplied a specific playlist for people going for this achievement, but not since I've gotten back into the MP. Makes it harder to get it than it was originally intended to be, if I read into this correctly.

I've been playing Gears 2 the last couple of days because of the XP event. My friend isn't lvl 100 yet so I'm trying to help him get his wings. I see Gears getting love on GAF all the time, but the OTs don't stay on the front page very long. I've put more hours into Gears 2 than any other game this gen.

As far as the 'Annex Now With Execution Rules' achievement goes, I'd be willing to help. I remember having a bit of a tough time getting it for myself because of teams/map rotations.

Gamertag - iHN Jury

Plasmid

I got level 40 today, i haven't played Gears since october, so i'm still pretty rusty. Hopefully this week will get me a little ready for the beta.

MjFrancis

Church RvB said:
As far as the 'Annex Now With Execution Rules' achievement goes, I'd be willing to help.
Thanks, I'll add you next time I sign on XBL. If you're available, I'll gladly accept any help. I've won some other maps on the rotation a half-dozen times, but the roll of the dice/skill doesn't come up for me on that particular map. I've been getting better, but I'm still a mediocre player at best.

-PXG- said:
I got the achievement yesterday. Wasn't even trying to get it. Debating whether i should try to get 100.
I've read that level 81 is the halfway point. I'm still sitting at 75, so I'm almost at that point, with a hell of a lot of MP hours put in. I couldn't guess, but I've got 1250 rounds in across all MP modes, including Horde. I'm that clueless to how much time I've spent with this game. Only one boosting match, too. So, if you don't want to boost, it might take you a while yet depending on where you're at.

Wow, EPIC has done a lot of work to the multiplayer. Obviously came way too late but if you still have GEARS 2 blow that dust off, throw her in and give her a whirl. 22x XP too as mentioned above. Damn this GEARS 3 wait is going to be excrutiating.

On another note Im still looking for someone to play co-op campaign too. I don't even care if you dont have a mic, I just want to get the co-op achievements. Send me a message via LIVE if interested. Noobs welcome too as I noted above.

G-Tag: UR BUS IS SHORT

Brolic Gaoler

formerly Alienshogun
Mizzou Gaming said:
Wow, EPIC has done a lot of work to the multiplayer. Obviously came way too late but if you still have GEARS 2 blow that dust off, throw her in and give her a whirl. 22x XP too as mentioned above. Damn this GEARS 3 wait is going to be excrutiating.

On another note Im still looking for someone to play co-op campaign too. I don't even care if you dont have a mic, I just want to get the co-op achievements. Send me a message via LIVE if interested. Noobs welcome too as I noted above.

G-Tag: UR BUS IS SHORT

Yeah, only down side is everyone SUCKS, people are rusty as hell and they always seem to end up on my team

Willeth

I'd be up for an achievement run this weekend if anyone's on. I've only got into Gears multi since the February event but I've set myself the goal of 1000/1000 before September and Gears 3. I'm banking on another massive event before then to do it. :)

I do suck, but I've got quite a bit better over the last week or two. Wingman is still not my game, though.

MjFrancis

Sometimes, I worry that I suck too much at Gears, but then I win two rounds of Annex 180-18 & 180-0 while on top of the leaderboards. The host then says, "good game, asslicks" and promptly quits. Why can't I do this on the maps that count, lol! To be fair, we all probably sucked, and I just happened to suck least of all.

MjFrancis

The dice finally rolled in my favor. The Annex achievement is mine... thanks to Church RvB for offering help, even if we didn't actually meet up.

Time to clear out some hordes....

Brakara

Am I the only person having trouble finding horde matches? It takes 10-15 minutes to get into a ranked game, and with social games I always end up alone or with just one other player. This was never a problem before they rolled out title update 6 last year.

MjFrancis

*edit*

With the 30xp event, I went ahead and boosted my way towards 100 and got my wings. Took 5 hours (accounting for numerous mishaps) to go from 79 to 100.

Next up, I'm eying a run on Insane for the campaign, preferably with a co-op partner in casual. Then, Seriously 2.0. Maybe.

whitehawk

Banned
So there is a 20xp event going on right now. Anyone down for some King of the Hill boosting? I'm at level 61, would be cool to get to 100.

whitehawk

Banned
Wait, it seems the event is over already... Shit. EPIC should just permanently turn on 30xp now.

Anyone want to play some Horde with me then? I still have some achievements to do.

malfcn

Been playing Gears 2 again for a few nights. My KDR is plummeting due to terrible team mates, and shitty netcode. Give me Gears 3 already. The online play of Gears 2 is so bad.

Top Bottom