• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gears of War 3 |OT| BROTHERS TO THE END

Status
Not open for further replies.
snack said:
More money for Epic though. All in all, it's winning!

I bought the entire package. You dont have to buy them, Epic gives you an choice and that's fine. There's plenty of stuff to unlock just in the game.

Stat Flow

He gonna cry in the car
Oh, and yes, props for the server work gents and ladies. This shit has been ALL Lag-Free and I've played 40 matches. It's quite wonderful, and I haven't touched Beast/Horde mode but I plan to this weekend.

Micerider

I need Your help fellow Euro-gaffers!

I could not find the information yet : Does the French PAL version contain the English voices on-disk?

As the French voice-over on the previous ones were not that good, I'd need to know in order to see if I have to rely on a UK version instead...

kuYuri

Just had some awesome matches. A few hiccups at the beginning, bit after that, it was more or less smooth sailing.

Also, Commando Dom looks badass. If anyone is curious, you can read about his time doing secret missions in the book Gears of War: Aspho Fields.

madmackem

SPACECADET said:
thanks man, this worked.

No problem man glad it worked. I just got a gears 2 unlock there very strange as i was playing this all day yesterday and didnt do anything different so looks like som unlocks might take sometime to unlock.

An-Det

Just finished the campaign, totaled about 9 hours on casual, for the story and to get a feel for it (2 deaths, both from a dude chainsawing me while I tried to chainsaw him). So fucking good, but I've still got questions (some they at least referenced, like
why the locust queen looks human
) that I hope to see resolved.

Graphically it was amazing, goddamn gorgeous. The gameplay, the level design, the encounters, it all is so well done. I can't wait to play it again on hardcore and then insane coop, plus horde and beast modes.

Micerider said:

I could not find the information yet : Does the French PAL version contain the English voices on-disk?

As the French voice-over on the previous ones were not that good, I'd need to know in order to see if I have to rely on a UK version instead...
I have the Spanish PAL version and it contains both English and Spanish voices confirmed, if it helps. It should be the same in France...

Micerider

Seth Balmore said:
I have the Spanish PAL version and it contains both English and Spanish voices confirmed, if it helps. It should be the same in France...

Thanks!

Good to know, should be indicative enough. Usually, when they have enough space on-disk, they usually put local-language + English so it might indeed work for the French version (purchasing it in Belgium here, so I might have an easier access to the UK version in stores, as the Flemish part scarcely get Dutch localised games but get the UK version straight with Dutch packaging instead)

GloveSlap

Stat Flow said:
Nah son. That shit is straight wack. Like, okay, the Gnasher is just FINE as a close range combat weapon. It is perfectly balanced with the machine guns (what G1 was lacking) and is plenty strong enough to do big damage in CQC (what G2 was lacking). Why does the Sawed off even exist? It doesn't come close to encouraging one of the most features of Gears which is close range tussles... And it's a damn shotgun. Dudes just run through and if they miss just run away. Then I feel like the range has increased since the beta.

I can't see any reason why it's even there. It's gotten to the point where when I get killed by the gnasher my teammates and I are like "Well shit, at least he's using the gnasher, can't hate on that."

I can't stand the Sawed Off. It gets especially bad towards the end of the game. Some one will always go into some dead end with it and just camp. Its impossible to get at them when the spread on the SOS is wider than the whole doorway. Take Gridlock for example. The two balconies are annoying as hell now that the SOS has been thrown into the mix, it makes me wish they never brought the map over from Gears 1.

Stat Flow

He gonna cry in the car
GloveSlap said:
I can't stand the Sawed Off. It gets especially bad towards the end of the game.
No kidding. And earlier on my friends and I were laughing our asses off when we kicked their asses in round one, and every single one of them switched to the sawed offs as defaults the next time around.

D23

hands down this is one of the best game on xbox 360.

from a guy who never play gears 2 n only play gears 1 for an hour or so.

Just got to Chapter 2 with my two friends. Absolutely fantastic. The beginning on the
ship
has some really beautiful sections. Epic is truly at the top of their game with this one. Plus Gears continues to solidify itself as the greatest online co-op game ever which is appropriate since they were the first to get it right anyway.

Auto_aim1

MeisaMcCaffrey
Holy crap, Act 3 - Chapter 2,
Lambent Zerker. It was so incredibly tough to take him down.
Most epic moment of the game so far. Campaign is meant to be played with friends, amazing stuff.

AdamMPSP

Just played Horde for the first time, with four friends across the country. Got to wave 26 before realizing it was past midnight. So much fun. I found the base-building stuff sort of pointless, and we all just argued on who got to build things so that we could level them up. Still don't really understand.

BUT WHO CARES, IT WAS A BLAST.

Played through all of act 1 using the Hammerburst almost exclusively. Just wish it held a little more ammo, I have to constantly scrounge for more. Which actually isn't that hard, but still.

Wondering if anyone else has a 'go to' weapon. I always used the Lancer as mine in past games, but I'm really digging the Hammerburst this time around.

Kintaro

Worships the porcelain goddess
ProtoCents said:
Just fucking damn @ (Act 1: Chapter 5)
Cole Train's moment at the stadium

So god-like.

Did Act 1 with a friend. This part made us laugh so fucking hard. So corny, terrible and hilarious.

DidntKnowJack said:
Played through all of act 1 using the Hammerburst almost exclusively. Just wish it held a little more ammo, I have to constantly scrounge for more. Which actually isn't that hard, but still.

Wondering if anyone else has a 'go to' weapon. I always used the Lancer as mine in past games, but I'm really digging the Hammerburst this time around.
Hammerburst is the truth. But I really want to get good with the "Retro Lancer" I see folks on LIVE rocking it very well. Love the strategy of Gears3. This game just flows right.

kuYuri

A bit off-topic, but what is with the general negativity with Gears 2 that seems to be going around? I've listened to at least 3 podcasts being really negative about Gears 2.

Sure, it had problems, but I feel that it was still an improvement over Gears 1 in many ways. The graphics were noticeably improved, some of the set-pieces in the campaign were really good, the cover system was improved, Horde mode was added, etc.

OrangeOak

Strider2K99 said:
A bit off-topic, but what is with the general negativity with Gears 2 that seems to be going around? I've listened to at least 3 podcasts being really negative about Gears 2.

Sure, it had problems, but I feel that it was still an improvement over Gears 1 in many ways. The graphics were noticeably improved, some of the set-pieces in the campaign were really good, the cover system was improved, Horde mode was added, etc.

Multiplayer was bad,really bad.

monome

Micerider said:

Voix anglaises, no Halo or Call of Duty bullshit.

Stat Flow

He gonna cry in the car
Strider2K99 said:

Campaign was really good. That's fine and all, but the MP which everyone stays for, was awful. Apparently it improved later on (but when I tried it in short spurts long after release it still sucked), but it was truly bad first month or so of release.

Strider2K99 said:

I think it must be multiplayer related. I felt everything else, as you say, was a huge improvement. The campaign in Gears 2 was really varied and fantastic!

kayos90

Tragic victim of fan death
ResidentDante said:
I think it must be multiplayer related. I felt everything else, as you say, was a huge improvement. The campaign in Gears 2 was really varied and fantastic!
The Multiplayer matchmaking was so horrible in GoW2. Just horribly slow, lagging, and overall bad.

-PXG- said:
The Hammerburst is so dirty. It's just too good. It's a beast. HB and Gnasher compliment each other perfectly.

I have yet to use the SOS. Don't ever plan on using that punk ass gun.

Same here, I just grab it when I run out of gnasher or when the whole enemy team is abusing it around corners. It's hilarious when I kill them two or three times with their own weapon and then they start retro-charging left and right... You can get lots of kill when playing with noobs but man, is it a boring weapon...

Anyway, how do you use the hammy? Do you ever use the iron sights? Do you still tap it like mad every time or only sometimes? Maybe I lost a shit ton of practice but I feel the gun is slow as hell compared to what I could do with it in Gears 2.

BTW EdgeyPoo here, maybe I'll change my gamertag for RiskBreaker to avoid confusions :p

kaizoku

I'm not as deluded as I make myself out to be
I still feel aggrieved about gears 2 MP, they made changes which I think changed the flow/balance for the worse.

Maps in gears 1 felt very well designed around certain weapons and gears 2's approach was each power weapon point is just a point, what weapon is there is actually irrelevant.

To hammer this home any gears 1 maps that did crop up had rotating weapons which I think ruined them.

Not to mention grenade tagging on walls. I remember smoke stun being the worst thing ever but I think it's been patched some.

They basically made a lot of changes to enable horde (ie nade tags are very horde driven) but they didn't gel with the MP. Gotta just live with some of them now but the beta was a lot of fun and hopefully people will be less lame.

AcciDante

Now that this isn't the beta, I still think the SOS is an awful addition to multiplayer. No, I don't say that as someone that gets killed by it over and over. I use it. Always.

Jacob4815

Damn, the campaign is orgasmic!
But Hardcore is toooo easy!
In Gears of War 2, hardcore, the Delta team didn't go to the rescue after a serious damage...

Act 2 now... there's some opportunity to die in the following acts?

leng jai

Jacob4815 said:
Damn, the campaign is orgasmic!
But Hardcore is toooo easy!
In Gears of War 2, hardcore, the Delta team didn't go to the rescue after a serious damage...

Act 2 now... there's some opportunity to die in the following acts?

I'm halfway through Act 3 on hardcore and I've died a few times. It really doesn't feel that hard. I just hope insane isn't 5 times harder...must get those cheevos.

dmg04

#DEADWRONG
Act 3 is the best act in gears. Ever.
I've never actually felt 'Fear' from a videogame, but there are 2 points where i was like 'HOLY JEEZ WHOA'.

Absolutely amazing. Holding chapter 4 for tomorrow. later

Just got to Act 5 with a friend of mine, been playing co-op together exclusively (we did the same for Gears 2). So far I'm honestly underwhelmed with the campaign. The stakes felt MUCH higher in Gears 2 from the get-go, and the pacing of the story was much better.

In fact right at the moment the title "Gears of War 3" faded onto the screen after (opening scene spoiler)
Marcus' opening dream sequence
I was a little disappointed. The extremely intense "title reveal" opening to Gears 2 destroyed the title reveal of Gears 3 with that massive zoom out from Dom in the helicopter showing the Cog military convoy moving out to assault the Locust head on. I kind of feel that that perfectly exemplifies my problems with Gears 3 as a whole, at this point of the game.

There doesn't ever seem to be much weight to what we are doing. That, and the flow just feels off compared to Gears 2. Half the time it feels like we are doing a random task like finding fuel to proceed; the other half it feels like we are watching cut-scenes of segments that would be much better to actually play out in gameplay. *Big spoiler*
Dom's sacrifice was the highlight of the game for me so far, but I couldn't help but think of how awesome it would have been if that was actually gameplay instead of a cut-scene.
Also, the musical score is a big downgrade IMO, really hampering the feel of the game when compared to Gears 2.

Aside from those arbitrary gripes I have, the game is still great. The environments and lighting is MUCH improved. The boss battles are intense and satisfying. And the combat is as fun as ever, and much more varied. The gameplay itself is definitely an improvement overall but story-wise at this point in the game I'm left semi-disappointed. I'm hoping for a grand finale in Act 5 because, as of now this just hasn't really felt like too much has happened in the story.

We'll likely complete Act 5 by the end of tomorrow night, and then I'll update my impressions after.

Stat Flow

He gonna cry in the car
AcciDante said:
Now that this isn't the beta, I still think the SOS is an awful addition to multiplayer. No, I don't say that as someone that gets killed by it over and over. I use it. Always.

YOU'RE PART OF THE PROBLEMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM :(

Marco1

Great multiplayer, it feels like a really tweaked and perfected gears of war but I suppose that's what we should expect after GOW2.
But the campaign really does feel like a been there , done that already. I'm sorry but after buying the disappointing LE for £60, I wish I could return and refund.
Gears 2 is the better campaign.
But serious kudos to Epic for pulling this off on the xbox 360.

Experienced my first glitch in multiplayer. I took cover and got stuck on it. I was just walking in place, and then every time I hit A my guy slid to that cover like he was on ice. It just kept glitching me to cover. Couldn't jump at all or get out of it. Finally a bot of all people put me out of my misery.

Only experienced it once. Having an absolute blast with this game.

bobbytkc

ADD New Gen Gamer
I have played a couple of hours, and so far, this games played exactly like gears. Doesn't really make me want to continue playing for hours on end. This is probably a good thing for some, but I think I am starting to get bored by the series.

WARP10CK

Banned
How many like the bayonett charge with the retro lancer seriously, I just love that GUNG HO moment where marcus screams while charging at an enemy.

Not much of a Gears fan, but as I bought the first 2 I really want to finish the story. Pretty good so far, but the second act so far is a little boring. You can tell when an encounter is going to happen when you see conveniently placed walls that just look out of place! This looked fine on the first act though, brilliant.

Was hoping the game would come with a 24 hour Live Gold card to try out MP. Came with stickers instead. I sucked at MP but I'm not re-subscribing just to try it out.

2th

Banned
wow... just finished the campaign.

yeah pretty much speechless. i guess when things sink in i can actually criticize. lord knows i will be doing that.

2real4tv

MisterAnderson said:
Just got to Act 5 with a friend of mine, been playing co-op together exclusively (we did the same for Gears 2). So far I'm honestly underwhelmed with the campaign. The stakes felt MUCH higher in Gears 2 from the get-go, and the pacing of the story was much better.

In fact right at the moment the title "Gears of War 3" faded onto the screen after (opening scene spoiler)
Marcus' opening dream sequence
I was a little disappointed. The extremely intense "title reveal" opening to Gears 2 destroyed the title reveal of Gears 3 with that massive zoom out from Dom in the helicopter showing the Cog military convoy moving out to assault the Locusts, and just completely overshadowed the opening of Gears 3. I kind of feel that that perfectly exemplifies my problems with Gears 3 as a whole, at this point of the game.

There doesn't ever seem to be much weight to what we are doing. That, and the flow just feels off compared to Gears 2. Half the time it feels like we are doing a random task like finding fuel to proceed; the other half it feels like we are watching cut-scenes of segments that would be much better to actually play out in gameplay. *Big spoiler*
Dom's sacrifice was the highlight of the game for me so far, but I couldn't help but think of how awesome it would have been if that was actually gameplay instead of a cut-scene.
Also, the musical score is a big downgrade IMO, really hampering the feel of the game when compared to Gears 2.

Aside from those arbitrary gripes I have, the game is still great. The environments and lighting is MUCH improved. The boss battles are intense and satisfying. And the combat is as fun as ever, and much more varied. The gameplay itself is definitely an improvement overall but story-wise at this point in the game I'm left semi-disappointed. I'm hoping for a grand finale in Act 5 because, as of now this just hasn't really felt like too much has happened in the story.

We'll likely complete Act 5 by the end of tomorrow night, and then I'll update my impressions after.

Damn why did I read your spoiler :(

FStop7

Banned
So Gears 2.... The vehicles, namely. Don't do that. Don't. Don't put that shit in. Especially not when it's one climax on top of another. Moderation. I'm at the start of Act 5, I just want to finish this shit already so I can move on to the new game. The Gears 2 campaign is way too long.

Ramirez

I don't even like single player games anymore, but I've found this games campaign to be absolutely amazing. It's like when I'm getting bored of something, they introduce something new to keep it fresh, really good job Epic.

The underwater level looks stunning as well, most impressed i've been this gen!

broony

Go away work. I want to go play.

Normally just a single player person but the drop in drop out TDM sounds fun. Horde will be played al lot with friends and I'll definately do a co-op play through.

Didn't realise there was so much content to the game. Reminds me of Splinter Cell Chaos Theory in regards to the amount of content, so much stuff to do.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom