• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gears of War 3 |OT| BROTHERS TO THE END

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nugg

Picked it up today. I really want to try the campaign with the highest difficulty setting. Can I change it later on if I find it too frustrating?

Is thre a Gears 3 story thread? I dunno if the game merits one but I'd like talk about it in a spoiler free context.

Also, is there any extra video after the credits?

-PXG- said:
Yesterday morning I was on fire. Last night was terrible. Team work was total ass. I hate having to carry a team, get MVP and still lose to SOS/ rifle scrubs It's so infuriating.

Today better be different. My teammates better work together and pull their damn weight and know what the hell they're doing.

People who perpetually fuck shit and and know there stuff...hit me up.

Right now I am on fire! Feels like coming home, new maps are my weak point at the moment but that is only a matter of time. Not had any problem with the SOS, numerous times I have gone through groups of 3 or 4 with the gnasher though :p

DaNcaKe

Finally received my Steelbook edition and I must say I'm disappointed. Didn't even get any skin codes (didn't order at a specific retailer).
The only difference between it and the standard is the tin (didn't realise before preordering as there was so little information because it didn't hit the US); no wonder it didn't make it outside of Europe.

Considering returning it and just getting a standard.

U2NUMB

Played through Act 2 last night... A gears game with tons of colors and all 4 of us who were playing were often blown away by the visual touches. I can not believe how much better this game looks than the last. The extra time to polish was well worth the wait.

We were also reminded of Halo like areas where all 4 of us could be a ways apart from each other. The scale of the game is fantastic.

Blown away by Gears 3 so far..

Superimposer

This is getting weirder all the time
DaNcaKe said:
Finally received my Steelbook edition and I must say I'm disappointed. Didn't even get any skin codes (didn't order at a specific retailer).
The only difference between it and the standard is the tin (didn't realise before preordering as there was so little information because it didn't hit the US); no wonder it didn't make it outside of Europe.

Considering returning it and just getting a standard.

That's why it's called the steelbook edition... because it's a steelbook... obviously since there was a Limited Edition it wouldn't act as the Limited Edition.

Detox

ShinobiFist said:
Hey Gaf, any tips on Aiming? I hate getting into a shotgun dance and I end up losing at times.
In a shotgun dance you should either quick-shot by just clicking left trigger aiming quickly and firing or blind firing. If you practise blind firing enough eventually it will become natural to manoeuvre your body and gun so that your shot hits the target most of the time at which point you can begin wallbouncing.

ShaneB

Someone mentioned before that there was no MP map they didn't like, and I'm inclined to agree so far. Not once has a map come up in MP and I am groaning about it, all terrific map design (just wish there were more, and not planned as dlc, that I will groan about)

Also, PXG, I assume you'd spearhead this, when will GAF customs begin? I don't care at all about playing ranked, but will be nice to just be in a 10 player lobby with everyone.

Haven't even touched MP, Horde or Beast mode yet, but I'm loving this game. Played through the first 4 chapters of Act I last night and had an amazing time.

Detox said:
In a shotgun dance you should either quick-shot by just clicking left trigger aiming quickly and firing or blind firing. If you practise blind firing enough eventually it will become natural to manoeuvre your body and gun so that your shot hits the target most of the time at which point you can begin wallbouncing.
I thought manual aiming was a no-no, and hip firing is were is at. I'm going to give this "Quick-Aim" a try. Thanks.

I'll have a savage grenadier code I'd trade for a savage kantus. My son wanted the kantus but his preorder from walmart came with the grenadier. If anyone wants to take me up on this you'd make a certain 13 year old super happy.

mbmonk

Net_Wrecker said:
Just wrapped up my longest Gears multiplayer session ever, by far. This game is AMAZING good. Not one hint of lag or broken shenanigans that plagued Gears 1 or 2 in ~9 hours of pure gameplay. Quick TDM is the greatest Gears mode ever. Just constant gameplay, map rotation, people dropping in and out. Pure ongoing carnage with not 1 second of unnecessary downtime. Hnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnng that was so good.

And I haven't even touched Campaign, Horde, or Beast mode yet, not to mention the other versus gamemodes :O

I agree with this gentleman.

LosDaddie

Banned
Last night was horrible. I was exhausted after playing racquetball after work, and I only got in a couple TDM games last night. :| I just....couldn't stay awake. dammit

Tonight will be better, hopefully. But we have some friends coming over for dinner. :| dammit. And then we are taking Friday off (3-day weekend) to attend a friend's wedding. dammit

DaNcaKe

Superimposer said:
That's why it's called the steelbook edition... because it's a steelbook... obviously since there was a Limited Edition it wouldn't act as the Limited Edition.

It's my fault as I should have cancelled the pre order but I wanted some day one Gears (and it turned up a day after launch after getting sent on Friday, FML). It'll look out of place on my shelf filled with mostly green boxes.
I'll send it back tomorrow and pick up a standard.

mr afghan jones

Neo Member
Only thing about campaign that has seemed off so far has been some of the prompts to click a button to move forward.

In particular the turning of wheels to put out fires right at the very start. 3 AI teammates all stood there, apparently unable to turn a wheel, then Marcus (the guy who I am controlling) orders himself to go turn the wheel.

felt odd.

To be clear though, minor gripe in what is a fantastic game and easily the best value proposition since Halo 3

ShinobiFist said:
I thought manual aiming was a no-no, and hip firing is were is at. I'm going to give this "Quick-Aim" a try. Thanks.
You'll have to learn when each is necessary. Try not to touch the right stick as well unless you really need to(guy dives to either side). Get used to hitting fire and then dive in any direction but forward and back sometimes as well. Learn to bounce off the walls.

JaggedSac

Campaign through Act 4 is incredible. Cannot wait to finish it.

Horde mode is a blast. Seems like leveled up fortification skills are a must. Boss fights are awesome.

Graphics are incredible. Their matte work is fantastic. Effects are brilliant.

Epic really need to fix the map rotation. It's complete shit atm. It often makes it so that the one map will appear every two maps. Sometimes it even jumps between the same two maps several times in a row.

I played versus for about 7-8 hours last night, and we got Gridlock once. That's ridiculous.

123rl

Holy fuck shit the Campaign is so good. This is borderline a textbook perfect example of how to make a great Campaign. I'm up to Act 4 Stage 5 and it hasn't dropped in quality for even a second.

I was planning on hunkering down for some coop campaign tonight. Can other players skip cutscenes by pressing a button? (I hate it when this happens on a first playthrough and I miss story details).

Marleyman

Banned
U2NUMB said:
Played through Act 2 last night... A gears game with tons of colors and all 4 of us who were playing were often blown away by the visual touches. I can not believe how much better this game looks than the last. The extra time to polish was well worth the wait.

We were also reminded of Halo like areas where all 4 of us could be a ways apart from each other. The scale of the game is fantastic.

Blown away by Gears 3 so far..

Exactly how I feel after playing with a buddy through Act 1. Then I started multiplayer and couldn't turn the game off; first time in awhile that I have done that with an MP game.

The Wise Old Man said:
I was planning on hunkering down for some coop campaign tonight. Can other players skip cutscenes by pressing a button? (I hate it when this happens on a first playthrough and I miss story details).
I think only the host can skip cutscenes.

ZROCOOL

aka II VerTigo II
Neverender said:
Anyone else had Mad World start playing in multiplayer? It was really cool.
Yeah, playing wingman last night. Don't know what triggered it, but it sure did bring a smile to my face.

EYEL1NER

I only played local with a buddy last night, 12 rounds of Beast mode and 16 waves of H20.
Beast mode was fun as shit though. It took a while to get going on it, but once I got into the swing of it, I had a blast. We didn't use too much teamwork, but there were so many moments in the early waves that were awesome.
Having my buddy down two guys while I wait to respawn as a ticker, running up to them while a third guy is trying to revive them and detonating, taking out all 3. Or yelling to him "Get behind me!" and charging through fools as a berserker.

I don't really play MP games on Live at all, because I don't like playing games with people I don't know, but I might jump on and play some MP. Until new maps start coming out anyway, then I'll probably shelve it, since I don't really care to buy digital map packs.

My copy will be here today and today is my rest day from the gym which means I have a solid 5+ hours to game, what am I in for GAF? Is the SP better than Gears 2? (I really enjoyed Gears 2 single player but hated the MP)

Is the MP refined? I know there are dedicated servers now so I'd hope so

I am excite

ultron87

My only complaint with co-op campaign so far through most of Act 1 is that the people who aren't the first player seem to get a little screwed a couple times.

The big obvious one in Act 1 is that
only the first player gets to control the Cole Train sequence in the stadium.

And as a general comment, (enemy type spoiler)
the big lambent that shoot mortars can be really difficult to fight. As they can just repeatedly down you as someone revives you. Is there a specific point on those big guys you are supposed to shoot?

ultron87 said:
My only complaint with co-op campaign so far through most of Act 1 is that the people who aren't the first player seem to get a little screwed a couple times.

The big obvious one in Act 1 is that
only the first player gets to control the Cole Train sequence in the stadium.

And as a general comment, (enemy type spoiler)
the big lambent that shoot mortars can be really difficult to fight. As they can just repeatedly down you as someone revives you. Is there a specific point on those big guys you are supposed to shoot?

Yeah,
shoot them in the chest.

-PXG- said:
3 more spots on Gears 3 GAF tri. I will make yet ANOTHER tag later

Gears 3 GAF IV

I'm on the first gears list.

question:

can you add the other lists to the main list so i can see the other ones?

Same for the other list. That way everyone has access to everyone.

Moofers

Got to wave 40 of Horde on Drydock last night with my buddies.....and that was it. We could not pass wave 40. We tried for over an hour before everyone else gave up.

Any good tips for those boss waves? Seems so goddamn hard at wave 40. We had been setting up camp on the higher ground back in the corner where there is a turret near the spawn for mortars/one-shot. Eventually that spot seemed like it wasn't working anymore, but I still think its our best bet unless anyone can tell me a better plan.

Thoughts?

Skilotonn

xbot xbot xbot xbot xbot
Alright, ZROCOOL wants to trade for my Savage Kantus, so that makes my Savage Grenadier Elite open for trade for Mechanic Baird - let me know if you're interested, I'll be back in a few hours with the codes after I pick them up and get something to eat.

Raxus

Lord-Audie said:
I'm on the first gears list.

question:

can you add the other lists to the main list so i can see the other ones?

Same for the other list. That way everyone has access to everyone.
Doesn't work that way sadly. You can view your friends friends but not friends friends friends.

Moofers said:
Got to wave 40 of Horde on Drydock last night with my buddies.....and that was it. We could not pass wave 40. We tried for over an hour before everyone else gave up.

Any good tips for those boss waves? Seems so goddamn hard at wave 40. We had been setting up camp on the higher ground back in the corner where there is a turret near the spawn for mortars/one-shot. Eventually that spot seemed like it wasn't working anymore, but I still think its our best bet unless anyone can tell me a better plan.

Thoughts?

We actually just ran Drydock to 50, so it's cool to have someone to talk to about it.

We were constantly overwhelmed from all sides in the location you're talking about, which is where we camped for levels 1-21. We found the best defense spot is the CP that's backed up against the wall by the shipping containers, to the left if you're on the turret at the OneShot/Mortar spawn. You then spend your cash on the turret that's in the center of the zone and the spike/wire/laser barriers in a wide ring around it. Then you put a guy on the turret, two on the right shooting up the stairs, and two on the left shooting up the ramp. This works pretty well, although it requires 5 people obviously. Just make sure you have someone back behind the turret when the round starts so that no Horde spawns behind you.

The deal with the bosses is that it's mostly best to have one or two people keep them distracted while the others wipe out the normal Horde for that wave, then have everyone carefully take out the Boss character. This is really difficult for the
Lambent Zerker
, though, but we were able to have two guys keep him busy in the back of the map behind our defenses while the other three did the fighting.

The
Brumak
was a super-close call - everyone died except for me and I was only able to take him down with Torque Bow shots to the
backpack

Which boss were you stuck on?

Raxus

Lord-Audie said:
What?...

You cannot go deeper?
I've tried. All 3 tags share one user, PXG. So ideally I should be able to view all the tags from him. Instead I can only view PXG's friends (thus the tags) and I cannot go further than that (the tags friends).

Better Xbox Live functionality is apparently a dream within a dream.

Moofers

Genesis Knight said:
We actually just ran Drydock to 50, so it's cool to have someone to talk to about it.

We were constantly overwhelmed from all sides in the location you're talking about, which is where we camped for levels 1-21. We found the best defense spot is the CP that's backed up against the wall by the shipping containers, to the left if you're on the turret at the OneShot/Mortar spawn. You then spend your cash on the turret that's in the center of the zone and the spike/wire/laser barriers in a wide ring around it. Then you put a guy on the turret, two on the right shooting up the stairs, and two on the left shooting up the ramp. This works pretty well, although it requires 5 people obviously. Just make sure you have someone back behind the turret when the round starts so that no Horde spawns behind you.

The deal with the bosses is that it's mostly best to have one or two people keep them distracted while the others wipe out the normal Horde for that wave, then have everyone carefully take out the Boss character. This is really difficult for the
Lambent Zerker
, though, but we were able to have two guys keep him busy in the back of the map behind our defenses while the other three did the fighting.

The
Brumak
was a super-close call - everyone died except for me and I was only able to take him down with Torque Bow shots to the
backpack

Which boss were you stuck on?

Which boss? All of them! LOL

Seriously. We did move to the location you mentioned, but that just seemed harder. You mean the CP with the trailer lined up in the hall, right? Where you can sit just a bit higher than ground level and shoot from the windows?

Anyway, we had serious issues there keeping the bosses out.
Zerkers, Corpsers, Gunkers,
would get back there and make life difficult while the rest of the horde would slowly pour in behind them. Plus, that turret would usually get wrecked by one of those bosses just a minute or so into the wave.

Maybe we set up shop too late back there? We didn't start until we had already failed 40 a bunch of times so we didn't really have much money for laying down barricades. It was basically all we could do to buy the turret each round. I'm thinking maybe we should restart back around wave 31 and build up cash for a while before buying that CP and everything around it.

Blueblur1

I was all set to play yesterday afternoon when I got home from work but something came up. So I finally started the campaign at midnight played until about 2am and finished Act 1. I'm really enjoying so far. I hate fighting those
mortar lobbing Lambent
bastards though. Can't wait to get home and keep playing. :)

Moofers said:
Which boss? All of them! LOL

Seriously. We did move to the location you mentioned, but that just seemed harder. You mean the CP with the trailer lined up in the hall, right? Where you can sit just a bit higher than ground level and shoot from the windows?

Anyway, we had serious issues there keeping the bosses out.
Zerkers, Corpsers, Gunkers,
would get back there and make life difficult while the rest of the horde would slowly pour in behind them. Plus, that turret would usually get wrecked by one of those bosses just a minute or so into the wave.

Maybe we set up shop too late back there? We didn't start until we had already failed 40 a bunch of times so we didn't really have much money for laying down barricades. It was basically all we could do to buy the turret each round. I'm thinking maybe we should restart back around wave 31 and build up cash for a while before buying that CP and everything around it.

Well we wiped a few times as well but in general we had enough cash for wire at least, and lasers on a few of the barriers, so that might be your problem. As for the trailer, one of our guys liked to hang out in there but I thought it was a death trap. Kantuses and Flame Boomers seemed to LOVE to run in there and down people. I stuck on the turret or over on the right side by the stairs. We also hunted for Mulchers/Torque Bows/Boomshots and bought Frags and the OneShot when we could. The Boomshot was my salvation - you can keep a good 5-6 rounds in it at all times

As you say, though, sometimes they just got through and there is definitely a time to say "fuck that" and run for it. When the
Gunkers and Corpsers
broke our line we bailed to the other side of the map in pairs. It breaks up the Horde and you're able to run and gun pretty well from there on out. That was when I laid down cash for Mortars and dropped some strikes on our spawn from the bridge.

AndyMoogle said:
I've got some extra Commando Dom codes if anyone would like to trade. I'd accept any other skin.

Already used my codes... I'd PayPal you though.

mernst23

I opened my copy at 4 pm yesterday, by 3 am I already played 5 matches of team dm, 1 of execution, played a 12 wave public game of horde, and beat the first 4 acts of campaign with a buddy of mine. God damn am I tired. 3 mvp ribbons in 6 matches woo. And I can't wait to beat the campaign tonight and try out beast mode, ugh this game is going to ruin my life even more than the first 2 did. I can't believe I'm level 14 already

LosDaddie

Banned
Marleyman said:
Exactly how I feel after playing with a buddy through Act 1. Then I started multiplayer and couldn't turn the game off; first time in awhile that I have done that with an MP game.

Man, I'm sorry about not joining you guys last night. It took forever to get done with things around the house last night...and I passed out early.

ARe you going to be playing again tonight? I definitely be on for, well, at least an hour.

Blueblur1 said:
I was all set to play yesterday afternoon when I got home from work but something came up. So I finally started the campaign at midnight played until about 2am and finished Act 1. I'm really enjoying so far. I hate fighting those
mortar lobbing Lambent
bastards though. Can't wait to get home and keep playing. :)
Agreed, they're such a pain in the ass. They're the only reason I died twice in the first Act.

Moofers

Genesis Knight said:
Well we wiped a few times as well but in general we had enough cash for wire at least, and lasers on a few of the barriers, so that might be your problem. As for the trailer, one of our guys liked to hang out in there but I thought it was a death trap. Kantuses and Flame Boomers seemed to LOVE to run in there and down people. I stuck on the turret or over on the right side by the stairs. We also hunted for Mulchers/Torque Bows/Boomshots and bought Frags and the OneShot when we could. The Boomshot was my salvation - you can keep a good 5-6 rounds in it at all times

I can't picture where this is. You mean the stairs leading up to the bridge/middle area? I can't think of any turrets in that spawn other than the one looking right down the hall out of that area.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom