• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gears of War 3 |OT| BROTHERS TO THE END

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm not sure if anyone can really answer this yet, but can we expect much of a challenge playing 4 player co-op? I kinda like when the highest difficulty is actually genuinely hard and at least requires some team work and co-ordination.

Either way i will be playing the shit out if it.

Tawpgun

To anyone who's played the game in Insane....

Are Lambent as annoying and hard to fight as I think they will be? How much damage will their explosions deal out?

U2NUMB

AdventureRacing said:
I'm not sure if anyone can really answer this yet, but can we expect much of a challenge playing 4 player co-op? I kinda like when the highest difficulty is actually genuinely hard and at least requires some team work and co-ordination.

Either way i will be playing the shit out if it.

Well my crew of 4 played on Normal as we normally do first time through and we died a number of times. I think the game is certainly balanced with 4 players in mind. I can see this being a pain if done solo. We commented on this often as to how much action there is and the number of enemies we were all shooting at something pretty much the entire time.

Dare I say as a group we are having much more fun with 4 player co op in Gears than any Halo 4 player co op game. And I never thought I would say that.

A27 Tawpgun said:

Are Lambent as annoying and hard to fight as I think they will be? How much damage will their explosions deal out?
The regular enemies aren't bad, but the bigger ones can be a bit annoying, and they will deal a lot of damage on higher difficulties.

Boogdud

Goofing around yesterday wanted to jump in the modes to try them as a single player on a private match (before embarrassing myself online). Holy hell beast mode is hard.

Moofers said:
I can't picture where this is. You mean the stairs leading up to the bridge/middle area? I can't think of any turrets in that spawn other than the one looking right down the hall out of that area.

Yup, the central turret and then the stairs on the right (if you're on the turret facing the bridge) leading up to the bridge. The sheltered little shipping container corridor (opposite the deathtrap trailer we were talking about) provides excellent cover and you can gun down targets coming from the bridge via stairs and also crossing the map underneath the bridge.

Boogdud said:
Goofing around yesterday wanted to jump in the modes to try them as a single player on a private match (before embarrassing myself online). Holy hell beast mode is hard.

If you're playing Beast Mode by yourself you only get like 30 seconds. More players add on to this considerably - that's why people were saying Beast Mode is co-op only. Kind of strange.

alphaNoid

Banned
My impressions thus far ... *no spoilers, safe*

1. First thing I did was fire up Horde 2.0. Played nonstop for 2 hours, holy shit ... this is why I play video games.
2. Friend signs in, party up and start campaign. Story starts good, the environments sort of underwhem me, but only because I know this is UE3.5 and I'm expecting some goodies. I see great lighting improvements and partical effects but so far pretty run of the mill. The gameplay is Gears, it feels faster to me though.. which is a good thing. I'm loving the bit of a struggle the ammo management has been in Co Op (normal), I have to be mindful in some instances else I'm dry. I am loving the SP so far, but feel that Act 1 is probably starting a little too slow is all...I'll probably be shut up soon enough, but just a tad slow from the start.
3. Character development through the campaign was corny at first but the more I thought about it, the more I thought Epic did right by expanding on the back story to most of the characters. To Cliffy ... thank you.
4. UI and menu navigation is top notch, some of the best out there on any platform.
5. The devil is in the details, and Epic has done as good a job if not better than Bungie with stat progression, data and layout. I can get to my stats, all million of them easily and quickly. Must have taken quite awhile to really sort this out and get it just right. Hats off.
6. Matchmaking, net code ... top notch.

I played naked because ... well because its Gears so my pants were not allowed to be on.

Proelite

I love the shadows that crawl over your character's back in the environments, they're so smooth.

Act 1 was slow but it was just the pace needed for me to explore and appreciate the engine upgrades.

ultron87

Does difficulty scale based on the number of co-op players in a game?

It seemed to me that it was easier for me to die when I was playing co-op with a friend on Hardcore then when playing solo on Hardcore. But then I could've just been imagining it and/or playing more recklessly because I had a partner.

alphaNoid

Banned
Proelite said:
I love the shadows that crawl over your character's back in the environments, they're so smooth.

Act 1 was slow but it was just the pace needed for me to explore and appreciate the engine upgrades.
I noticed the shadows were amazing. I'm wondering though, how did Epic pull off what looks like zero aliasing on them? Is this something new in UE3.5?

Grisby

Hey did anyone catch the secret little cutscene in Act 2? I looked through a window
and saw Locusts having a pit fighting contest with two tickers.
Pretty funny stuff and it makes you wonder what else is out there. Epic got crazy with the secrets here.

KooPaL

Hi GAF! I haven't posted much even though I lurked forever but I need some buddies to play with. I added the GAF tag so hopefully I get to have some games in with you guys tonight.

I was initially a PS fan prior to GOW1 and GOW3 is amazing and made me realize why I made the jump in the first place.

bumpkin

Is it sad that I got the Epic Edition but I'm probably going to keep my eyes peeled for a good deal on the LE for the steelbook game case?

mbmonk

-PXG- said:
3 more spots on Gears 3 GAF tri. I will make yet ANOTHER tag later

Gears 3 GAF IV

Would someone explain to me what exactly "tag" means when used in this context? What is it? And what is it's purpose?

Damn, me and some friends played co-op from 10 pm to about 7:30 am today...and we're just shy of reaching Act 4-2 when we finished the session, just some random thoughts from someone who loves the series but went on an almost perfectly pure media blackout before hand:

-The game feels like a perfect blend between one and two, more like two but it's really its own beast in a lot of ways.
-The new weapons are fun, though the close range weapons (saw- off, cleaver) are too impractical in hardcore (what we played) and insane.
-No (driving) vehicle missions so far, woot.
-A certain boss quickly became one of my favorite boss fights ever...I almost feel bad saying that considering games like Shadow of the Collosus and Metal Gear Solid but this boss with four players was just fucking amazing.
-Not being tethered to Marcus and Dom the whole time was an excellent decision...they're still around a lot but it gives the story and situations some well-appreciated variety, even if some of the side characters are pretty much random people.
-Emulsion's a bitch, damn.

What a game...can't wait to finish it...as much as I don't want to buy a 360 again, this might be enough reason to do so.

Can you not find collectibles in arcade mode? I played through the first few chapters last night and didn't find a single one but instead found grenades in remote locations where I would have thought a collectible would be...

AndyMoogle said:
Epic really need to fix the map rotation. It's complete shit atm. It often makes it so that the one map will appear every two maps. Sometimes it even jumps between the same two maps several times in a row.

I played versus for about 7-8 hours last night, and we got Gridlock once. That's ridiculous.

Yeah, being stuck playing Overpass and Sandbar really isn't my definition of fun. Maybe in about two or three months they'll fix it.

Wow is the campaign of this game dull. The way they introduce the game, introduce the characters, introduce the enemies is just poor, awful really. The first boss fight wasn't a fight at all. I hate how they can't keep their own story straight. One minute, Dom is telling poorly voice acted new character not to bother to eat bubblegum, then the next chapter I'm going to an empty supermarket for supplies. Fighting the lambent isn't any fun and the game still has yet to give me an incentive not to just stand back and shoot them from afar while they just pelt me a little bit. Cover system plus fast health regeneration (that the enemies don't have) = mindless pop in and out gameplay. And the sad thing is that I tried to be more strategic about it, getting up close and it's just suicide. Stay back and pew pew pew until the guitar riff tells you to stop.

Even the mech was underwhelming. It's just a different looking turret and brought nothing to the table. The lambent really bring nothing new to the table yet either, unlike the new enemies from 2 which instantly made you rethink how to approach things. For a game with such great graphics, the lambent dying is an extremely unsatisfying display.

The story is embarrassing, but that didn't need to be said. It's a shame they didn't make this a comedy.

Horde mode 2.0 isn't 2.0 enough for me. It's just too repetitious and long in the tooth for my liking. Huddle up, shoot shoot shoot. Do it again. It's bullet sponge hell which wouldn't be a big deal in small doses, but it's a commitment and it really feels like hell to me after 20 minutes.

I haven't tried beast mode, but I for whatever reason thought it was a versus mp mode and was instantly disappointed when I found out it wasn't.

Now the MP, well, that's what I have been waiting for. It took 3 tries but it seems they got it. I'm not sure how long it will keep my interest, but its buttery smooth, plays nice, responsive, intense, kinda dynamic. Nice. And for some reason, while I never played any gears mp for more than a day and a half, I've done fairly well. Is there a gaf meet up thread? For once, I think I might spend some time with mp in a gears game. "Quick Match" is exactly what this game needed.

Proelite

Mr. B Natural said:
Wow is the campaign of this game dull. The way they introduce the game, introduce the characters, introduce the enemies is just poor, awful really. The first boss fight wasn't a fight at all. I hate how they can't keep their own story straight. One minute, Dom is telling poorly voice acted new character not to bother to eat bubblegum, then the next chapter I'm going to an empty supermarket for supplies. Fighting the lambent isn't any fun and the game still has yet to give me an incentive not to just stand back and shoot them from afar while they just pelt me a little bit. Cover system plus fast health regeneration (that the enemies don't have) = mindless pop in and out gameplay. And the sad thing is that I tried to be more strategic about it, getting up close and it's just suicide. Stay back and pew pew pew until the guitar riff tells you to stop.

Even the mech was underwhelming. It's just a different looking turret and brought nothing to the table. The lambent really bring nothing new to the table yet either, unlike the new enemies from 2 which instantly made you rethink how to approach things. For a game with such great graphics, the lambent dying is an extremely unsatisfying display.

The story is embarrassing, but that didn't need to be said. It's a shame they didn't make this a comedy.

Horde mode 2.0 isn't 2.0 enough for me. It's just too repetitious and long in the tooth for my liking. Huddle up, shoot shoot shoot. Do it again.

I haven't tried beast mode, but I for whatever reason thought it was a versus mp mode and was instantly disappointed when I found out it wasn't.

Now the MP, well, that's what I have been waiting for. It took 3 tries but it seems they got it. I'm not sure how long it will keep my interest, but its buttery smooth, plays nice, responsive, intense, kinda dynamic. Nice. And for some reason, while I never played any gears mp for more than a day and a half, I've done fairly well. Is there a gaf meet up thread? For once, I think I might spend some time with mp in a gears game. "Quick Match" is exactly what this game needed.

Wut.

Mr. B Natural said:
Wow is the campaign of this game dull.

I'm on act 2 now, but same feeling here :/
Hope it picks up soon. Start of Resistance 3 was far more exciting.
Graphics are awesome though. Haven't tried MP yet.

Proelite said:
They just go "pop" and a little bit of liquid comes out and the effect is unexhilarating and unconvincing. Compared to shredding up, rag dolling and killing off the locusts, it's weak as hell and not rewarding or fun. Feels like a cop out, something out of a ps2 game that can't handle some of the death special effects gears 1 had.

Fallacy

Neo Member
After day one, I gotta say the game is awesome. Maps are all pretty good I just wish boomshot was first round instead of digger. Also, Beast mode is ridiculous.

JeTmAn81

Has anybody else found the clipping glitch on the boat where you can go through a wall and stand outside the boat and look around? If not, I'll post some pics.

Lima

A27 Tawpgun said:

Oh they are annoying that's for sure.

The thing is that you don't go down anymore on insane. So if you take enough damage to go down you die. And that's it. Reload checkpoint...

Btw got my Gears Vault today. Hooked it up to my slim and damn that thing just looks amazing. Gonna have some pictures up later today.

ultron87

Mr. B Natural said:
They just go "pop" and a little bit of liquid comes out and the effect is exhilarating and unconvincing as hell. Compared to shredding up, rag dolling and killing off the locusts, it's weak as hell and not rewarding or fun.

I'll agree with this. Headshotting Lambent with the Longshot isn't nearly as satisfying as it is doing it to Locust.

I was really excited to get the Longshot super early in the campaign, but dropped it pretty quickly after.

Proelite

Mr. B Natural said:
They just go "pop" and a little bit of liquid comes out and the effect is exhilarating and unconvincing. Compared to shredding up, rag dolling and killing off the locusts, it's weak as hell and not rewarding or fun. Feels like a cop out, something out of a ps2 game that can't handle some of the death special effects gears 1 had.

What did you think about the
junkers
. I thought that made up for most of the lambent death.

Quoted for new page. Anyone know or am I just missing them?

backflip10019 said:
Can you not find collectibles in arcade mode? I played through the first few chapters last night and didn't find a single one but instead found grenades in remote locations where I would have thought a collectible would be...

ced

Mr. B Natural said:
I hate how they can't keep their own story straight. One minute, Dom is telling poorly voice acted new character not to bother to eat bubblegum, then the next chapter I'm going to an empty supermarket for supplies

Huh? Not sure what you mean but it was with totally different characters in each chapter. Couldn't disagree more with your other campaign comments. I'm not saying the story is great, but the gameplay is damn near perfect.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom