• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gears of War 3 |OT| BROTHERS TO THE END

Status
Not open for further replies.
backflip10019 said:
Quoted for new page. Anyone know or am I just missing them?
You can find them in arcade too, I've picked up a few.

JeTmAn81 said:
Has anybody else found the clipping glitch on the boat where you can go through a wall and stand outside the boat and look around? If not, I'll post some pics.
Interesting, I'd like to see those pics.

I actually agree with Mr. B Natural about the Lambent. They seem like an easy way to crank the difficulty by just dialing in some variables (bullet sponge, immulsion crap) without designing tougher enemies. And the fact that you can't execute them takes away some of the fun Tehy also don't explode as awesomely as they should (although the bigger ones certainly do!).

But they've added in some intense new enemies like the
Serapede
so I'm okay with this.

Grisby

Enemy Boss battle spoiler for act 2: It's insane how much better the
Corpser looks and animates compared to Gears 1. I do enjoy the originals size more though.

Oh, lol, at your avatar Seth Balmore. Love it.

Grisby said:
Hey did anyone catch the secret little cutscene in Act 2? I looked through a window
and saw Locusts having a pit fighting contest with two tickers.
Pretty funny stuff and it makes you wonder what else is out there. Epic got crazy with the secrets here.

Yes, there are a ton of easter eggs.

ced said:
Huh? Not sure what you mean but it was with totally different characters in each chapter. Couldn't disagree more with your other campaign comments. I'm not saying the story is great, but the gameplay is damn near perfect.
If the food is bad and they know it, as everyone would, then the food is bad. You can't remind the player about the reality of the situation and then expect them to just go with the nonsensical flow and forget that reality the very next chapter/act. Does Epic expect me to have that short of a memory, to be that stupid? If you don't want me thinking about what would food 10 years stale be like, then don't tell me. Keep it away from my mode of thought.

And those "different characters" had a doctor with them. You think Dom would know about food being bad after 10 years but a doctor wouldn't? C'mon man.
This campaign, so far, is the very definition of stale. I don't want to play fireman. I don't want to hide in the corner like I did in Gears 2 and pop pop pop while the enemy fails to flank and force me to think and access the situation. Maybe it gets better, but so far it's underwhelming and using hype to sell weak gameplay. That boss didn't even interact with me. Technically, I'm not sure if that could be considered a boss or an enemy for that matter.

ultron87

Mr. B Natural said:
If the food is bad and they know it, as everyone would, then the food is bad. You can't remind the player about the reality of the situation and then expect them to just go with the nonsensical flow and forget that reality the very next chapter/act. Does Epic expect me to have that short of a memory, to be that stupid?

And those "different characters" had a doctor with them. You think Dom would know about food being bad after 10 years but a doctor wouldn't? C'mon man.

There is food in a grocery store that might last longer than bubble gum in a candy machine.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
Ramirez said:
I don't even like single player games anymore, but I've found this games campaign to be absolutely amazing. It's like when I'm getting bored of something, they introduce something new to keep it fresh, really good job Epic.
Sad to hear that as it has become an increasingly common sentiment.

I don't really like multiplayer games anymore (unless it's same room multi or COOP), so I'm really only playing these games for the campaign.

mernst23

Mr. B Natural said:
They just go "pop" and a little bit of liquid comes out and the effect is unexhilarating and unconvincing. Compared to shredding up, rag dolling and killing off the locusts, it's weak as hell and not rewarding or fun. Feels like a cop out, something out of a ps2 game that can't handle some of the death special effects gears 1 had.

Play past the first act and come back

Lothars

Mr. B Natural said:
This campaign, so far, is stale as hell. I don't want to play fireman. I don't want to hide in the corner like I did in Gears 2 and pop pop pop while the enemy fails to flank and force me to think and access the situation. Maybe it gets better, but so far it's underwhelming and using hype to sell weak gameplay. That boss didn't even interact with me. Technically, I'm not sure if that could be considered a boss or an enemy for that matter.

I can understand not liking the story or thinking it's bad but calling the gameplay weak? that really tells me you have no idea because if anything that's the best part of the game.

Plasmid

Act 4 spoilers.

So when Grifin is being an asshole and marcus just screams " I JUST LOST MY FUCKING BROTHER. YOU HEAR THAT? MY FUCKING. BROTHER" I can feel the emotion he had, same when dom died, it was so fucking sad.

Act 5 spoilers.

I'm so ready to finish, but Myrrah keeps attacking the chamber and the theron guards keep downing my Friends and me, aghh.

ultron87 said:
There is food in a grocery store that might last longer than bubble gum in a candy machine.
No, no there wouldn't be. 10 years is 10 years. Again, that's reality. Again, that's what the guys at Epic put into my head. They're growing food for a reason. Then, they change their story. That's the issue with this game's story, it wants to take it's surroundings and situation seriously but can't do it often enough.
The grocery store was completely barren but for one completely untouched crate of stuff. Again, c'mon. They went from giving me a sense of dread. Wow, nothing left. What are they to do? Wow, they can't even eat bubble gum without fearing getting sick and then, oh, look, an entire crate of shit nobody noticed. Yay! And, we'll eat it!

Proelite

Lothars said:
I can understand not liking the story or thinking it's bad but calling the gameplay weak? that really tells me you have no idea because if anything that's the best part of the game.

Not really sure why Natural bought the 3rd game when he clearly didn't like the basic gunplay in Gears of War.

ShogunX

Still no news on Azura, Rustlung and Blood Drive? Honestly expected them to be a day one reward or come with the purchase of the season pass mainly because they still show up on the leaderboards.

As good and feature packed as the game is the whole 10 maps at launch bothers me a little. Wont be too long before a few of them start feeling a little stale.

mernst23

Mr. B Natural said:
If the food is bad and they know it, as everyone would, then the food is bad. You can't remind the player about the reality of the situation and then expect them to just go with the nonsensical flow and forget that reality the very next chapter/act. Does Epic expect me to have that short of a memory, to be that stupid? If you don't want me thinking about what would food 10 years stale be like, then don't tell me. Keep it away from my mode of thought.

This campaign, so far, is the very definition of stale. I don't want to play fireman. I don't want to hide in the corner like I did in Gears 2 and pop pop pop while the enemy fails to flank and force me to think and access the situation. Maybe it gets better, but so far it's underwhelming and using hype to sell weak gameplay. That boss didn't even interact with me. Technically, I'm not sure if that could be considered a boss or an enemy for that matter.

The cole and baird looking for food chapters occur before/during the time dom talks about the candy to jace. Also, dom is not with you during that part of the act, because he's on the ship

JeTmAn81

Here we go, it happened at the part where you're about to open the door and then the Leviathan starts pushing cargo containers at you and you have to run to avoid being crushed. I hit the wrong button for opening the door and ended up diving right through a wall and ending up here:

2011-09-20_18-55-05_404.jpg

2011-09-20_18-54-29_728.jpg

2011-09-20_18-54-45_216.jpg

Superimposer

This is getting weirder all the time
How much is the campaign really enhanced by co-op? I did Act 1 co-op but it's seriously hard to line even one friend up at the right time to do this. I thought I would have finished the campaign by now but I've only been able to do one act and am extremely frustrated.

I did the two previous Gears games on co-op and can't imagine not doing so.

Proelite said:
Not really sure why Natural bought the 3rd game when he clearly didn't like the basic gunplay in Gears of War.
I didn't buy it, I rented it and for that very reason.

And I love the MP. I think it's fantastic and the gameplay actually works. It doesn't work in the situations the AI gives you, which is to say, the same situation over and over again where you sit back and pew pew pew until the red marker on your screen turns red. Sit back. Wait for that red marker to go away and repeat.
The reason why the MP works so well is that, simply, your enemies have regen health also. That alone means you can't do what you do in single player and expect anything to happen. You have to move and that alone removes the shooting gallery regression that is the campaign of gears 2 and, so far, 3.

I played Horde mode yesterday.... That was a TON of fun, we got to round 20 only and then the host ended the game. Gets pretty challenging towards the end though, I'm excited to give it another go and see how far I can get.

I played campaign for a couple hours yesterday but honestly the entire time I was playing I just wanted to go play MP. The campaign storyline so far just isn't doing it for me.

Plasmid

Superimposer said:
How much is the campaign really enhanced by co-op? I did Act 1 co-op but it's seriously hard to line even one friend up at the right time to do this. I thought I would have finished the campaign by now but I've only been able to do one act and am extremely frustrated.

My friends and I have been playing on Hardcore and the thing is that in Gears 2 the enemies ignored you if you were down, in gears 3 they are very execution happy. To the point where I've died 60 times (checked today). The bleed out time seems shorter but it probably isn't.

Poker360

(Major spoilers) / question:

Why the heck is the OT title / the main ads for this game saying "Brothers to the end". This is an obvious spoiler that implies one of the "brothers" aka Dam or Marcus will die ( Or both), and is confirmed it the end of act 3..

mernst23 said:
The cole and baird looking for food chapters occur before/during the time dom talks about the candy to jace. Also, dom is not with you during that part of the act, because he's on the ship
Who cares? Did they find out that food has gone bad the hour before chapter 1 and 2? What are you talking about? They have a doctor with them. The doctor would know that eating 10 year old food will probably make you extremely sick and kill you. Everybody that lives in that world would know this. Everyone.
Again, this could have been ignored IF Epic didn't tell the player, within the first 5 minutes of this game, that food created before the world ended is bad and that fresh food needs to be made for sustenance. They went from giving the player a sense of dread to ignoring that sense of dread. What is so hard about this?
In fallout 3, you were eating food that was 300 (?) years old. Is that completely stupid? Absolutely, but the game didn't let you in on it. The game ignored its own shortcomings in logic and thus the player, unless they were really paying attention, was able to follow. Epic tried to make the world a more real (and thus full and complete) by letting people in on how they live and what they can and can't do anymore. Then, they flip the script. That's the issue. The same issue would have occured if Baird and the crew were looking for ammo when this game is littered with it. Either you make the game more like RE with very little ammo and then have the boys look for military supplies or neither on both ends. Doing anything else is offensive to the player's intelligence.

Picked this up late last night. Act 1, chapter 3 and 20 rounds of Horde with some randoms. Movement is a lot faster. It gets really intense. You can see little tricks being used here and there but the graphics are on par with the other 2. Baird's hair seems better, I think. It's a solid fro piece instead of segmented locks. No major upgrade in graphics since 2006 and none needed, that has to be a good feeling for Epic.

I like how the chainsaw can't be stopped once powered on. They were calling me a lumberjack last night. Where's my favorite Horde map, the gas station? I don't know why they wouldn't bring every map back. $ Wait, yeah I do. Music didn't stand out and some was reused. I miss everyone's shoulder armor. I always thought that looked cool. Now arms are bare and it looks kinda plain. I like that story mode allows you to play different characters other than Marcus and Dom.

I wasn't sure about the upgrade sysrem in Horde, but it's not bad, I guess. Bosses walk through razor wire like it's a loose stack of pillows, but the turrent is no joke at medium range.

The 4 player co-op is so much fucking fun. God damn.

We're only in the middle of act 3, but it's a blast. If you can 3 other friends together to play with, do it. It's amazing.

Proelite

Mr. B Natural said:
I didn't buy it, I rented it and for that very reason.
The reason why the MP works so well is that, simply, your enemies have regen health also. That alone means you can't do what you do in single player and expect anything to happen. You have to move and that alone removes the shooting gallery regression that is the campaign of gears 2 and, so far, 3.

Sounds like one of the mutators that gives the enemies regenerating health should improve your enjoyment of the campaign a lot. It should be relatively easy to get that mutator.

ENEMY REGEN
Earn the silver Aficionado medal for playing a certain number of chapters in Arcade mode.
Enemies will regain health over time if you don’t kill them.

VAMPIRE
Earn the Executioner pin 100 times (the most executions in a match)
Your health does not regenerate automatically, but you do earn health for dealing damage.

MUST ACTIVE RELOAD
Earn the silver Active Reloader medal (actively reload for a certain number of times)
The only way to reload is to perform an active reload.

BobDylan

So yesterday I went and picked up the game early after noon. I had a 6 page paper due today so I knew I wouldnt get that much playing in. played a little bit of campaign and really enjoyed it. after that I cranked out the paper and resumed gaming around 1130 at night. I wanted to try out the multiplayer because it was always the biggest issue for me in the previous gears. I can finally say that im am truly happy with the way things were done. maybe its because its very new to me but so many improvements have been made. ill be putting a good chunk of time into this game

Spasm

Infamous Chris said:
Grisby's avatar is amazing. But you need the crimson omen on yours, too!
Hahaha theses are all awesome. I dont suppose someone could put a do-rag on Petko for me? She would make a perfect Gear irl.

Willeth

Grisby said:
Hey did anyone catch the secret little cutscene in Act 2? I looked through a window
and saw Locusts having a pit fighting contest with two tickers.
Pretty funny stuff and it makes you wonder what else is out there. Epic got crazy with the secrets here.
Yeah, I saw that. It's a shame there aren't more later in the game, although I guess I'm glad they got most of the easter eggs and silly interactive stuff out of the way before it got serious.

Spasm said:
Hahaha theses are all awesome. I dont suppose someone could put a do-rag on Petko for me? She would make a perfect Gear irl.
You can ask in the avatar request thread and someone like Toppot will do it for you. :)

I'd link it but am on my phone. :/

mernst23

Mr. B Natural said:
Who cares? Did they find out that food has gone bad the hour before chapter 1 and 2? What are you talking about? They have a doctor with them. The doctor would know that eating 10 year old food will probably make you extremely sick and kill you. Everybody that lives in that world would know this. Everyone.
Again, this could have been ignored IF Epic didn't tell the player, within the first 5 minutes of this game, that food created before the world ended is bad and that fresh food needs to be made for sustenance. They went from giving the player a sense of dread to ignoring that sense of dread. What is so hard about this?
In fallout 3, you were eating food that was 300 (?) years old. Is that completely stupid? Absolutely, but the game didn't let you in on it. The game ignored its own shortcomings in logic and thus the player, unless they were really paying attention, was able to follow. Epic tried to make the world a more real (and thus full and complete) by letting people in on how they live and what they can and can't do anymore. Then, they flip the script. That's the issue. The same issue would have occured if Baird and the crew were looking for ammo when this game is littered with it. Either you make the game more like RE with very little ammo and then have the boys look for military supplies or neither on both ends. Doing anything else is offensive to the player's intelligence.

Who is this doctor you speak of? Anya? So epic should've packed the grocery store with perishable items and nonpershables and let the player go in and sift through expiration dates seems to be what you wish was the case. That's what I want in my cubes of meat 3 game, a stockboy simulator. Dom didn't even say that all the food was bad, he just said "if I don't grow, we don't eat." And that could mean that just findable food is so scarce that growing is the only guarentted food supply, not that all food on the planet is bad.

Proelite

You know when Gears of War 3 is a good game when the main controversy thus far centers around continuity problems about food.

Superimposer said:

Just finish the game alone and then play co-op when people are online and willing to play. That personally saves me the fustration.

JeTmAn81

Seth Balmore said:
Haha, will do chief. :)

@JeTmAn81: Lucky! Pity it sounds really hard to replicate.

Actually, it's easy to do. Just find that door and walk directly to the left. I was able to go back and forth, so it's not like you get stuck. You just get a short detour to a kind of pretty view of the oceanscape :)

Anabuhabkuss said:
From the very first scene in Reach you know everyone is going to die. It doesn't get much more somber/desperate/bombastic than that.

Absolutely hated ACT 1. The pacing is so off it's not even funny. The characters and dialogue is what's keeping me tuned in, though. I'm sure (hope) things are about to pick up soon but damn, people complaining about twilight Princess' slow start need to come see this.

You sir do not know what you are talking about.

So, Horde tactic question (enemy type spoiler):

Is there a faster way to kill the Serapede than to pop all its sections from back to front?

Neverfade

Anyone know if you can still get the Ice T skin from Facebook? Mines wigging out and can't tell if I just can't access it, or if the promo is over.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
Last night I finished the first act. Literally could not believe it was that good, that that much polish and effort had gone into setting the mood and all. It really feels like Gears has grown up so to speak. Not to mention the writing/dialogue is about 8x better than it was in Gears 2. Level design, for the most part, has been good too.

My beta skins didn't show up though, and I kept my beta save file. What gives?

The_Monk

Hey guys I just got this one.

My 360 is not my main console but I couldn't say no, so if you don't care for others people gamer scores and such and would like to make me feel happy, add on XBL will you?

Other thing, I installed the game on the Hard drive but the game keeps spinning. What gives? I downloaded one patch of 2MB when I first entered, leaved the game, deleted the game from the Hard Drive library and I'm installing it again...

Hope this time everything goes alright and the game won't spin when I enter in it..

Superimposer

This is getting weirder all the time
Sanjuro Tsubaki said:
Anyone having XBOX network issues? I can't do anything at the moment.

My Xbox was going crazy, could be related. Game wouldnt launch, took minutes to accept invite

Lunchbox

Banned
what the fuck is going on?

cliffyB broke my xbox, takes awhile to get into live, game wont launch, even party invites are taking 2-3 mins to accept

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom