• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gears of War 3 |OT| BROTHERS TO THE END

Status
Not open for further replies.

LEGGZZZZ

LEGGZZZZ said:
Me, a friend, and two randoms are stuck on wave 47 on Horde, anyone on want to help out? My gt is LeggWork if so.

Finally beat wave 50, damn what a ride! Normal Difficulty in Horde 2.0 makes the original look like a joke.

XxCGSxX

-Yeti said:
Anyone else getting lag in Ranked TDM? Every match I've played so far today has been moderately laggy.
Well I'm getting host migrations in quick matches. I'm trying to figure out if servers are down or something. It's laggy also sometimes during most matches.

kaizoku

I'm not as deluded as I make myself out to be
The Antitype said:
Yeah. I don't know what I was thinking, that maybe there was SOME risk to charging at a dude with a bayonet. My bad.
Well the risk is someone will down you if you charge from too far out. Rifles or pistols will get you easily. Gnasher is possibly risky but SOS will gib anyone in the right range.

That and if you miss the charge (which isn't that easy to aim) you're in trouble.

All in all I'd say it's a melee move that is very limited in effectiveness, mostly just works from behind/side.

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
I beat it solo on hardcore on my first try. I have no idea what people are having issues with at the end.

leng jai

Papercuts said:
I beat it solo on hardcore on my first try. I have no idea what people are having issues with at the end.

Its pretty standard on Hardcore, but I can just tell that Insane will be ridiculous.

Gr1mLock

Passing metallic gas
The Antitype said:
I'm still waiting for somebody from Epic, or a sympathizer, to rationalize the inclusion of the sawed-off shotgun in this game.

It works better in theory than execution. Its effective range is too close for comfort against the gnasher. the long reload isnt much of a drawback considering how skewed the risk reward is in the sos users favor. Consistently outplaying sos users with the gnasher involves lots of trickery. lets wait and see how epic plays this one.

TheOddOne

PepsimanVsJoe said:
Playing Horde mode with randoms is useless.
These wieners always quit.
I have no idea who invited me, got into the party played till wave 8 and we failed wave 9. Three of them (rage) quite I think and got stuck with one guy. He was super nice, but noway we where going to survive the onslaught.

I'm gonna be online in like an hour, if anybody wants to play horde add me: TheOddOne187.

Fallacy

Neo Member
The Antitype said:
I'm still waiting for somebody from Epic, or a sympathizer, to rationalize the inclusion of the sawed-off shotgun in this game.
Yeah, it seems like the more time goes by the more it annoys me.

LowParry

Fallacy said:
Yeah, it seems like the more time goes by the more it annoys me.

People are also pretty stupid on how to use it. They just expect to run up to you and kill ya off. Retro or Lancer them for the slow. Easy kill. If you can recognize that they have a SOS, keep your distance from the corner so they don't just come in and charge ya.

I'll admit, a whole team with SOS is pretty annoying, yet funny at the same time. I think we found our noob tubers. lol

Gr1mLock said:
It works better in theory than execution. Its effective range is too close for comfort against the gnasher. the long reload isnt much of a drawback considering how skewed the risk reward is in the sos users favor. Consistently outplaying sos users with the gnasher involves lots of trickery. lets wait and see how epic plays this one.

Ok, well for the sake of argument, what's the theory? Why does this game need two shotguns?

CcrooK said:
People are also pretty stupid on how to use it. They just expect to run up to you and kill ya off. Retro or Lancer them for the slow. Easy kill. If you can recognize that they have a SOS, keep your distance from the corner so they don't just come in and charge ya.

I'll admit, a whole team with SOS is pretty annoying, yet funny at the same time. I think we found our noob tubers. lol

This is bullshit. The goddamn stopping power only works half the fucking time for some reason. I know, I've been on both sides of the equation, rushing through gunfire with no slowdown, and pumping gunfire into an enemy without any effect.

LowParry

The Antitype said:
This is bullshit. The goddamn stopping power only works half the fucking time for some reason. I know, I've been on both sides of the equation, rushing through gunfire with no slowdown, and pumping gunfire into an enemy without any effect.

I'm just telling ya from my own experience. This is my counter to the SOS and it works a good 75% of the time. It wouldn't matter if there were one or two shotguns. People are still going to bitch about "the shotgun".

CcrooK said:
I'm just telling ya from my own experience. This is my counter to the SOS and it works a good 75% of the time. It wouldn't matter if there were one or two shotguns. People are still going to bitch about "the shotgun".

Yeah. Shit game design does tend to draw complaints.

The Antitype said:

If they aim well, there's no crossing a Lancer/Retro gunfire, specially with active reload. Goddamn the active on the Lancer is OP bullshit.

It's the same when going around a corner, if there's a dude with the SOS and he uses it correctly, you won't make it.

The game just feels completely inconsistent across the board. I can't find the rhythm and honestly, the potential pay off isn't worth the time investment with bigger, better competitive shooters on the horizon.

Definitely keeping the game around for Horde mode though, and I haven't even had the chance to try Beast yet.

Gr1mLock

Passing metallic gas
The Antitype said:
Ok, well for the sake of argument, what's the theory? Why does this game need two shotguns?

Well as far as i can tell, one was supposed to be the versatile and quick one and the other one was supposed to be the slow straightforward but more powerful one. Obviously if you miss with the gnasher its not that huge of a deal..wherein missing with the Sos was supposed to be a big deal but any gears player worth their salt imo can bail and stay alive till they get the reload. As for why the game needs more than one shotgun..they probably said well we have a bunch of assault rifles might as well have more than one shotgun, variety and all that. My main issue with it isn't the usual suspects of xbl who jump on the best weapon bandwagon..its the good players who use it. Sos just doesnt give it a shit about the whole strafing wall bouncing game with the gnasher. There is no finesse involved. Just wait till you're within rolling distance and let er rip. If they tweaked its horizontal range more i wouldn't mind it as much. However as it stands going gnasher vs Sos seems impractical. Too risky and requires too much work. I honestly lance the shit out of every Sos player i see.

The Antitype said:
It's a coin-flip, like many things.
That's all Gears has ever been and I don't think it'll change unless they rewrite and recode the whole thing from scratch. Epic can take away connection related issues but the gameplay inconsistencies remain, that's a design problem as you said.

It sucks but I begrudgingly have to accept it as the game's own element of luck. Sometimes that point blank Gnasher shot in the face will net you a headshot, sometimes and in the same conditions the dude will sponge the shot and gib you instead. Knowing this sort of stuff happens frequently in local matches, you absolutely cannot expect the game to be consistent online.

tl;dr some gameplay elements being broken is sadly inherent to the Gears experience.

Gr1mLock said:
Well as far as i can tell, one was supposed to be the versatile and quick one and the other one was supposed to be the slow straightforward but more powerful one. Obviously if you miss with the gnasher its not that huge of a deal..wherein missing with the Sos was supposed to be a big deal but any gears player worth their salt imo can bail and stay alive till they get the reload. As for why the game needs more than one shotgun..they probably said well we have a bunch of assault rifles might as well have more than one shotgun, variety and all that. My main issue with it isn't the usual suspects of xbl who jump on the best weapon bandwagon..its the good players who use it. Sos just doesnt give it a shit about the whole strafing wall bouncing game with the gnasher. There is no finesse involved. Just wait till you're within rolling distance and let er rip. If they tweaked its horizontal range more i wouldn't mind it as much. However as it stands going gnasher vs Sos seems impractical. Too risky and requires too much work. I honestly lance the shit out of every Sos player i see.

I think you might be right. And that is the single DUMBEST reason to add a new weapon into a shooter I've ever heard. "Hey, we added a redundant weapon in THIS weapon class, so lets add a redundant weapon in THIS weapon class."

Seth Balmore said:
That's all Gears has ever been and I don't think it'll change unless they rewrite and recode the whole thing from scratch. Epic can take away connection related issues but the gameplay inconsistencies remain, that's a design problem as you said.

It sucks but I begrudgingly have to accept it as the game's own element of luck. Sometimes that point blank Gnasher shot in the face will net you a headshot, sometimes and in the same conditions the dude will sponge the shot and gib you instead. Knowing this sort of stuff happens frequently in local matches, you absolutely cannot expect the game to be consistent online.

tl;dr some gameplay elements being broken is sadly inherent to the Gears experience.

Yeah. The highs balanced out the lows for the first Gears of War, or at least it felt as such when there was nothing else really to play. in the face of Halo, CoD, BF3, and hell, even Uncharted on the PS3, this just doesn't feel fun anymore. The standards have been raised.

Fallacy

Neo Member
The Antitype said:
I think you might be right. And that is the single DUMBEST reason to add a new weapon into a shooter I've ever heard. "Hey, we added a redundant weapon in THIS weapon class, so lets add a redundant weapon in THIS weapon class."

Yeah. The highs balanced out the lows for the first Gears of War, or at least it felt as such when there was nothing else really to play. in the face of Halo, CoD, BF3, and hell, even Uncharted on the PS3, this just doesn't feel fun anymore. The standards have been raised.

This game has improved so much that the failings are much more the pity. Its still tons better than gow2. All they have to do is balance things a little and it will be great.

And whoever said lancer active is ridic you are correct but the lancer is pretty mediocre without active

Gears shotguns are out of wack. SOS is supremely powerful for no skill requirement.

I think two different shotguns could work if one was really strong with a high skill gap, and the other was weaker but easier to use with a lower margin of error. Think strong pump-action vs weak semi-auto. As it stands, the SOS is stronger than the Gnasher, easier to use than the Gnasher, and has drawbacks that are easily overcome by most average players.

Goddamn I just missed the biggest clutch ever (lol)... I just did 11 kills in a row in TDM and I still lost. 1 vs. 2 and one guy gets my back just when I was about to kill the other dude. FUCK. Obviously my mates were incredibly bad.

FUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU

Gr1mLock

Passing metallic gas
The Xtortionist said:
Gears shotguns are out of wack. SOS is supremely powerful for no skill requirement.

I think two different shotguns could work if one was really strong with a high skill gap, and the other was weaker but easier to use with a lower margin of error. Think strong pump-action vs weak semi-auto. As it stands, the SOS is stronger than the Gnasher, easier to use than the Gnasher, and has drawbacks that are easily overcome by most average players.

If they find a solution for the shotgun inconsistencies the game would be fine imo. Every other weapon works great. The assault rifles are fairly distinct and actually are super useful (finally). No power weapon seems broken or useless. Its just that element of chance with the shotguns. Either the variables are so nuanced that they work differently depending on the alignment of the planets and wind speed and what you had for lunch or (more likely) they're garbled up and too random depending on the situation. I dont know why epic is afraid to just say 'at this distance this does this much damage at this distance it does that much damage' and implement real stats into these weapons as opposed to 9 different random pellet spreads.

Give the shotties some rock solid stats and let the player skill determine the outcome. I hate how every company is randomizing and diluting multiplayer for the sake of the lowest common denominator. This was the reason i stopped playing both gears 2 and reach. Take that random shit out and let people who want to be good at the game try to do so and people who want to mash buttons get as far as someone who doesnt want to think while playing SHOULD get.

Gr1mLock said:
I dont know why epic is afraid to just say 'at this distance this does this much damage at this distance it does that much damage' and implement real stats into these weapons as opposed to 9 different random pellet spreads.

Spread inconsistencies were fixed in Gears 2 1.0 last time i tested it. Each shot's spread was identical. Did they change it?

Gr1mLock

Passing metallic gas
The Xtortionist said:
Spread inconsistencies were fixed in Gears 2 1.0 last time i tested it. Each shot's spread was identical. Did they change it?

Im not sure honestly. I don't think i stuck around long enough for that patch in gears 2. Compared to the other weapons the gnasher still feels like it has that element of 'wtf' to it. The lancer and pretty much every other weapon feel complete and consistent. Ironically even the Sos seems pretty consistent. Gnasher has that one 'sweet spot' where you have no idea what is going to happen. You're either getting a down, getting downed or someone is exploding into chicken livers.

Kydd BlaZe

Just came across a spare Commando Dom code. Would love to trade it for a Savage Kantus if anyone is interested. PM me if you would like to trade.

Gr1mLock said:
If they find a solution for the shotgun inconsistencies the game would be fine imo. Every other weapon works great. The assault rifles are fairly distinct and actually are super useful (finally). No power weapon seems broken or useless. Its just that element of chance with the shotguns. Either the variables are so nuanced that they work differently depending on the alignment of the planets and wind speed and what you had for lunch or (more likely) they're garbled up and too random depending on the situation. I dont know why epic is afraid to just say 'at this distance this does this much damage at this distance it does that much damage' and implement real stats into these weapons as opposed to 9 different random pellet spreads.

Give the shotties some rock solid stats and let the player skill determine the outcome. I hate how every company is randomizing and diluting multiplayer for the sake of the lowest common denominator. This was the reason i stopped playing both gears 2 and reach. Take that random shit out and let people who want to be good at the game try to do so and people who want to mash buttons get as far as someone who doesnt want to think while playing SHOULD get.

Agreed, although at least in Reach you have the option to eliminate any degree of chance by timing your shots in cadence with the reticule bloom. You can be sure every shot hits if you wait for the reticule to reset, or you can decide to throw caution to the wind and hope for the best by spamming the trigger.

There's no player choice in Gears. I can't choose to ensure my gnasher deals a certain degree of damage, because the variables at play are seemingly ethereal.

ZROCOOL

aka II VerTigo II
This morning was trash for my shotgun. I would hit them point blank in the back or even the sides but nothing. It lead for them to know where I was at. Frustrating

Raxus

-PXG- said:
Beast on Insane is just annoying, but doable.

I played end beat horde on Overpass with some Epic dudes. It takes forever. Also reached level 50 and played a few ranked TDM matches as well. I would have gotten it much sooner if I had played nothing but versus tonight.
Really? Beast mode is cake. Do it on insane on trenches and you can devour all 12 waves easily.

-PXG-

I'm convinced The Antitype is just bad at this game. Excuses excuses excuses. Yes there is annoying shit in this game. Every game has annoying shit. But if you're good, your team is good and utilize the options that are available to you, you should do fine.

Zeth

anybody want to dig into some co-op? Campaign, Beast, or Horde? I share a 360 with my brother whose entire friends list plays nothing but Black Ops. Help a brother out! GT: Am Burt

Is Gears Gaf IV empty?

Marco1

Just realised I had to DL from my history the gold skins from gears 2.
Why does it say that you only have to play online 1st week of launch if it's not working?
Great game though Act 3 best act in all of ears trilogy.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom