• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gears of War 3 |OT| BROTHERS TO THE END

Status
Not open for further replies.

razu

BenjaminBirdie said:
How does one get good at Gears? Or at least non-scrub? I know with Street Fighter there are a lot of resources you can read. In this case is it just a case of practice?

As with anything, practice is the only way to get good. Even with reading, you still need to practice what you've read. You can't afford the time it would take to consciously react to something in street fighter, you have to integrate thought-through tactics into your unconscious game.

With Gears the biggest thing for me was to learn the maps and use the right gun for the situation. Running around and aiming accurately became like changing gears in a car, after enough practice you do it without thinking.

Until you are Rambo, always follow someone else. 2 vs 1 usually wins.

Boogdud

So I do see some folks complaining about jaggies and IQ on this game. I'm normally pretty picky about these things too but I'll be damned if it doesn't look gorgeous on my setup. Is it possible that some TVs are displaying the game that much worse than others? I had to strain to see any kind of jaggies, etc. It is a tremendous looking game for a console. Granted it's not 2560x1440 but that's not in the realm of possibility on a console. Game looks absolutely awesome on my rig.

mernst23

Superimposer said:
Fucking spoilers on last page mernst, please edit out. Dammit man! :(

I really don't see how that's a spoiler but i edited it out anyways, that's like if the first game came out and by the end of act 1 you saw someone online talk about RAAM.

cacophony

I can't believe how quick it is to get into a game in Matchmaking. Compared to the last few games I've played online where it takes forever and then constantly getting d/c'd midgame. This is definitely the best MM I've ever seen. Also haven''t experienced lag even once.

ant_

not characteristic of ants at all
Just got this game today. Gears 1 & 2 I was pretty serious with my clan but over the past few years I haven't been gaming as much. My skills in Gears 3 are hella rusty, but damn if it's not good to play it again :)

Apdiddy

I got this game on Tuesday and have been doing nothing but multiplayer. I'll jump into the SP campaign this weekend.

Does anyone seem to notice any problems with people spawn rushing? Even with the two second 'spawn protection' time, it doesn't seem to be enough time. I played in TDM and noticed a few maps (mostly the maps from beta) seem to have this problem. The new maps have less of this problem for now.

Just beat it on Solo Hardcore. It was a really great Campaign, but the last boss battle was so annoying. Looking forward to playing co-op on Insane. No way am I doing that by myself haha.

-Yeti said:
Just beat it on Solo Hardcore. It was a really great Campaign, but the last boss battle was so annoying. Looking forward to playing co-op on Insane. No way am I doing that by myself haha.
I'm stuck on the last fight on hardcore. It's fucking ridiculous.

X-Frame

I'm going to continue the campaign tomorrow with strangers unless anyone from GAF wants to join up. I'm still in Act 1 though -- hopefully the matchmaking is quick.

Just finished the campaign. Pretty good overall. The last boss fight would've been moderately enjoyable if
you only had to use the hammer of dawn three or four times. By the time I got to the seventh (eighth?) time using the hammer of dawn, I was tired of the boss battle. Crappy way to end a trilogy.

Sanic

I actually had some AI issues that became more problematic towards the end of the game as difficulty ramped up.

Basically, the AI would suddenly jump fairly far ahead of me, I would be downed, and nobody would come back to revive me. I also had issues with AI being near me but engaging enemies as opposed to reviving me, which they should do, if not immediately, than at least before I die.

Korosenai

Just got to wave 50 with a bunch of randoms and lost.

We only had four deaths up until that point, and not a single wave lost. The boss for that round was a savage corpser. It messed us up really bad. I was so pissed.

Malo

Banned
LeonSKennedy90 said:
Horde and Beast mode BEATEN. GGs Enzo, SuperMalo, BlueThunder850, h3ro
Took nearly five hours but we did it!

Also, special shout outs to enzo_gt and BlueScrote for saving our asses in horde when the two randoms quit.

Dax01 said:
Just finished the campaign. Pretty good overall. The last boss fight would've been moderately enjoyable if
you only had to use the hammer of dawn three or four times. By the time I got to the seventh (eighth?) time using the hammer of dawn, I was tired of the boss battle. Crappy way to end a trilogy.
Indeed.

I was hoping that it would just take 3 Hammer strikes to take down the Tempest, just like any other normal Boss Battle.

h3ro

BlueScrote said:
Beast mode seemed pretty simple and short. I figured it was going to be a much longer experience.
SuperMalo said:
Took nearly five hours but we did it!
Also, special shout outs to enzo_gt and BlueScrote for saving our asses in horde when the two randoms quit.

Good times! That was awesome. Glad you guys stuck together and got Beast mode done as well. I was cooked, no way I could play more after our four and a half hour marathon.

Proelite

Wow at the lighting in a certain place in act 5. If you've seen it you'll know what I am talking about. Most releastic HDR I've seen yet in a game.

Owzers

Just started the campaign today and i'm already bored. The game started off pretty strong but then it went back in time a little to have Cole just run around doing stuff losing all plot momentum the game had. Does the game have such a small amount of story content that it can spend an hour doing nothing?

Malo

Banned
h3ro said:
Good times! That was awesome. Glad you guys stuck together and got Beast mode done as well. I was cooked, no way I could play more after our four and a half hour marathon.
You should of played. It only took us about 15 minutes.

h3ro

SuperMalo said:
You should of played. It only took us about 15 minutes.

Looks like you need to beat Beast mode on Insane to unlock a skin. If you guys didn't already beat it on that difficulty, I'd be down to round everyone up again and go for it.

Proelite

sillymonkey321 said:
Just started the campaign today and i'm already bored. The game started off pretty strong but then it went back in time a little to have Cole just run around doing stuff losing all plot momentum the game had. Does the game have such a small amount of story content that it can spend an hour doing nothing?

The game is boring for the first two acts.

Sanic

sillymonkey321 said:
well, kinda. There will be several points in the game where you'll reach or will be about to reach a location or item but then the game throw some obstacle in your way to extend the current objective.

That interlude in Act 1 is by far the longest of those kinds of situations, however.

D4Danger

Unconfirmed Member
To the people who play KOTH and make no effort to capture or break the point

I hate you and I hope the NASA satellite hits you

good day

Malo

Banned
h3ro said:
Looks like you need to beat Beast mode on Insane to unlock a skin. If you guys didn't already beat it on that difficulty, I'd be down to round everyone up again and go for it.
We did it on normal and I'd be up to do it on insane.

ultim8p00

Banned
tjohn86 said:
Anyone have any tips for multiplayer? This is the first I've played online and God I am terrible.

1. Stick with your team, always. Never go somewhere alone.
2. Press the right stick while aiming at an enemy to spot them for your team.
3. Active reload, always.
4. It's not about you, it's about the team. It's better to not die than to get a kill.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom