• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gears of War 3 |OT| BROTHERS TO THE END

Status
Not open for further replies.

Deacan

9/10 NeoGAFfers don't understand statistics. The other 3/10 don't care.
I got both gold guns from my first game, on casual playlist, soon as the match was over they both unlocked.

Superimposer

This is getting weirder all the time
Partway into Act 4 now, and my honest feeling is that I hope they pick up the slack from here. 3 underwhelmed me after all the hype on here, I don't like how they keep
breaking up the classic quartet, I mean they advertised the whole brothers to the end thing, they just keep changing the 4 playable characters though, you don't feel like a 'band of brothers' at all.

To me Act 1 is by far the best so far... that was the only act where you felt like there was an end goal instead of jumping around every 2 minutes fighting some different enemy every time.
For example, those lambent humans felt like they were just put in for the sake of it, and then you fight like over 9000 of them, as if that many would be left in Mercy.
Basically I feel like there's a lot of unnecessary shit and not enough actually shooting the shit out of Locust. Does anyone agree?

Also, what's this playlist business? Am I missing something? Haven't seen a casual playlist anywhere... what does it involve?

D

Deleted member 81567

Unconfirmed Member
_dementia said:
"Dr Eggman has died"

Oh, I get it. It's you.
1233495358_appl3456.gif

Superimposer said:
Basically I feel like there's a lot of unnecessary shit and not enough actually shooting the shit out of Locust. Does anyone agree?
Kinda, but only because I don't like Lambent at all. I think one of the main reason to play Gears is the gore and bloodlust, the game feels little bit weird once the blood ain't there anymore.

kaskade

vodka-bull said:
Kinda, but only because I don't like Lambent at all. I think one of the main reason to play Gears is the gore and bloodlust, the game feels little bit weird once the blood ain't there anymore.
I feel the same way. There's no curb stomping/executing the lambent which is always satisfying.

After loving Gears 1 and 2, im finding Gears 3 to be painfully boring. Much like Halo before it, it suffers from being too 'samey.' I can only take so many arenas with waist high cover before I want to bash my face into a wall.

I know, I know - 'that's gears!!!" I think 2 was enough for me.

Horde mode and competitive MP are still fantastic, however.

JB1981

Superimposer said:
Partway into Act 4 now, and my honest feeling is that I hope they pick up the slack from here. 3 underwhelmed me after all the hype on here, I don't like how they keep
breaking up the classic quartet, I mean they advertised the whole brothers to the end thing, they just keep changing the 4 playable characters though, you don't feel like a 'band of brothers' at all.

To me Act 1 is by far the best so far... that was the only act where you felt like there was an end goal instead of jumping around every 2 minutes fighting some different enemy every time.
For example, those lambent humans felt like they were just put in for the sake of it, and then you fight like over 9000 of them, as if that many would be left in Mercy.

Also, what's this playlist business? Am I missing something? Haven't seen a casual playlist anywhere... what does it involve?

I think I pretty much agree with everything you said. There is even more unnecessary shit to come. Get the rotor. Get the fuel. Turn off these power lines. Get the cable car. Get the fuel. One thing I realized about myself after playing this though is I am becoming a more casual gamer. I LIKED that I got revived over and over, didn't die and could just continue playing.

famousmortimer said:
After loving Gears 1 and 2, im finding Gears 3 to be painfully boring. Much like Halo before it, it suffers from being too 'samey.' I can only take so many arenas with waist high cover before I want to bash my face into a wall.

Horde and MP still revolve around arenas with waist high cover. Your complaint doesn't make sense.

Marco1

Loving the campaign, it feels like a summer movie blockbuster but will I re-play it?
No, I will either trade it in or gumtree it to make back as much as I can.
No interest in multi-player when I have old republic coming up and I need to start KOTOR before that.

charsace

I'm looking to play some hoard today. GT charsace. And can a brother get on a GEARS GT list? Its like I'm begging for a beanpie in this bitch.

Mdk7

I'm truly in love, and i've never been a fan.
The online is AMAZING, i usually never enojy online multiplayer (it's just not my cup of tea) but i've already spent hours and hours between deathmatch and horde with friends.
The campaign is totally cool: i'm currently at 3-2...
The first act was so and so, yet the second one was astonishing: i loved the colors, the mood... and fuck shooting Locusts is SOOOOOO much better than fighting the Lambents.

GG Epic, really.

MCXC Pioneer said:
Horde and MP still revolve around arenas with waist high cover. Your complaint doesn't make sense.

It makes sense in that Gears offline and Gears online may as well be two completely different games. I don't think I'm alone in saying that the MP component (Versus for me) is the sole reason that I play this game. I honestly could not care for the story, universe or comparatively mediocre gameplay of the campaign.

GoW3 without MP = an empty shell.

Marco1

Did they not state on an interview that GOW1 multi was an afterthought?
If so does that not make GOW multi a refined afterthought?

famousmortimer said:

I'm glad I'm not the only one who feels this way. Anything that needed to be said was said in Gears 1 and 2. There's no need to drag it on for a third and, frankly, the writing and pacing in Gears 3 is so fucking predictable and boring that I've given up on Campaign mode.

ScientificNinja said:
I'm glad I'm not the only one who feels this way. Anything that needed to be said was said in Gears 1 and 2. There's no need to drag it on for a third and, frankly, the writing and pacing in Gears 3 is so fucking predictable and boring that I've given up on Campaign mode.

Same for me.

Im only halfway through Act 2. I just dont find it that interesting anymore. Graphics are gorgeous and gameplay is tight, but I just dont care.

Versus is where its at, im level 60 already.

I also dont like Horde and Beast mode either. Got to Wave 20 and thought "fuck this"

REV 09

The mp, horde, and beast modes are phenomenal, but the campaign is a step back for me. It's still good, but 2 surprised me at every corner. This is just arena after arena of shooting stuff.

I feel like the game design suffers from the addition of 4 player co-op. There are a lot more enemies at one time, but the enemies are easier to kill which hurts the intimate feel of gears combat. I feel like there used to be a constant push and pull with the enemies from prior gears. You normally had to flank and out maneuver them just to take one out. Flanking isn't necessary in Gears 3 and that makes the combat less interesting, even if the mechanics are technically better.

Skilotonn

xbot xbot xbot xbot xbot
Been a while since I posted in here - I'm either playing the hell out of Gears, out, or relaxing from playing too much Gears.

Aside from the group of bastards from Spain with Sawed-Offs that I know damn well were killing from outside of actual Sawed-Off range (I'm not even kidding, I think me and my friends connected to some Spain dedicated servers or something), the game has been perfect online. And even the match I mentioned had no lag, but I'm sure there was some delay where they were ahead of us by a split second - we've always had problems against people from Spain and their connections.

Beat Horde in one sitting on Normal, waves 1-50, and it was still challenging, which I liked - killed two Brumaks even, and boy those things are bullet-sponges...

Last night was lying down while playing some rounds of Horde with a few friends, and today I just cleared out Beast Mode solo, first time playing it while getting a kill with every Beast - real fun mode.

tjohn86 said:
Has anyone been able to get 5.1 sound with GeOW3?

Shame if they didn't include it.

The game has surround sound of course - as long as it's turned on in the 360 dashboard sound options as it should be if you want 5.1 surround sound.

And what the hell is "GeOW3"? Just say Gears 3 or GOW3.

After finishing the campaign, I'd rank the campaign levels as follows:
Act III > Act V (sans final boss battle) > Act IV > Act I > Act II

A lot of the fights in Gears 3 I found to be very intense, which was great.

DanielJr82

Couple of questions:

1. Does Casual mode eventually go away? Does it disappear after you achieve a certain level, I mean. I tried it out and did awesome, but they're all noobs (a few were some levels above me though). I'd imagine they would lock me out after I tried it; I was going after the 0G achievement but it didn't pop.

2. Does vaulting over a ledge count as a melee hit? I've had a few instances where someone would vault over me, I'd get hit and stunned, then he finishes me off with the Gnasher. Or is that some weird connection shenanigans?

Anyways, I think I found my favorite Versus gametype: King of the Hill. It's so chaotic it's awesome, even if I lose half the matches or more. I noticed it's the same with every multiplayer game I play, I seem to always prefer gametypes of capturing zones. In CoD is Domination, Battlefield is all about Conquest, and in Gears is King of the Hill.

Skilotonn said:
Aside from the group of bastards from Spain with Sawed-Offs that I know damn well were killing from outside of actual Sawed-Off range (I'm not even kidding, I think me and my friends connected to some Spain dedicated servers or something), the game has been perfect online. And even the match I mentioned had no lag, but I'm sure there was some delay where they were ahead of us by a split second - we've always had problems against people from Spain and their connections.

I agree that most spanish players are garbage but... we also have problems with other countries' connections. Gears 2 with all the USA and Mexico hosts was SO crap and we got them all the time.

X-Frame

I'm teleporting a lot playing Versus this morning.

I understand even dedicated servers can cause people to lag if players are connected from around the world, but just now it felt like Gears 2 again.

My retarded countrymen embarrass and infuriate me. 99% of Spanish players on any online game are cheap, cheating, idiotic cunts. I feel your pain.

Oh and GOW 3 = God of War 3.

REV 09

Seth Balmore said:
My retarded countrymen embarrass and infuriate me. 99% of Spanish players on any online game are cheap, cheaters and simply idiotic cunts. I feel your pain.

Oh and GOW 3 = God of War 3.
not in this thread.

Raxus

X-Frame said:
I'm teleporting a lot playing Versus this morning.

I understand even dedicated servers can cause people to lag if players are connected from around the world, but just now it felt like Gears 2 again.
I find playing ranked is the safest bet.

Skilotonn said:

The game has surround sound of course - as long as it's turned on in the 360 dashboard sound options as it should be if you want 5.1 surround sound.

And what the hell is "GeOW3"? Just say Gears 3 or GOW3.

I thought GeOW3 was to distinguish between God of War 3 and Gears of War 3.

The problem I have had with all 360 games since switching over to an xbox that has HDMI out is that there is a handshake error between the XBOX and my Denon receiver. I sometimes have to go back into console settings and reset it to stereo and back to 5.1 to get the surround sound.

So far i'm on Act 2-3 and am level 16 online. I'm really enjoying the game so far.

The campaign has started to pick up. After a good opening, the middle of act 1 was a lame slowdown in pace. Collecting stuff from shanty towns and the same encounters with lambent stalks over and over again got dull. Epic should also stop trying to do these emotional bro love moments - they are hammy and don't work at all, stick to dudebro action please. I also find Sam incredibly annoying, not because she's a bad character, but because her voice is exactly the same as Chloe in Uncharted. Thankfully the game regained its stride at the bridge part and has kept up the pace since. It seems to be getting better and better looking each act as well - lack of AA aside, I think this sits comfortably as the best looking game on 360 and is more than a match for what I played of Uncharted 3. Surround sound is also particularly juicy.

In terms of gameplay, and online, I am enjoying all of the small additions. I like the things that appear to have rubbed off from Bulletstorm onto Gears such as the FPS view of the Hammerburst and desert themed environments. I didn't really play much Gears before, but the emphasis on more stats and unlockables makes it feel deeper. The only thing I absolutely hate is the shotgun spam online - I don't mind being on the recieving end of it (unless it's the fucking annoying one shot kill sawn-off), it's when your entire team thinks it's a better idea to use it instead of a Lancer at mid-range that gets me. The matchmaking takes a little long too, but once in a game the connection has been perfect.

Gouty

Bloodborne is shit
Finished horde mode last night. Upgrading all those fences and turrets just had me aching to improve my weapons. Theres an entire game there, if they followed it all the way.

Mikey Jr.

This is my first time playing Gears multiplayer. I just have some questions, but also some comments.

Questions:

1. What is the etiquette when you see a bad guy go down but you didn't kill. Should you kill him, or wait for someone else? I think I heard someone call me a fa@@ot once because I did that. Is that considered kill stealing? The whole system feels moronic to me. You can shoot someone, but then a team member comes by and kills him, and THEY get the kill? Uhhh....what?

2. More of a comment, but they really need to add some control schemes to mp. I played just a few hours, and I could add a control option that would make my play time infinitely better.

Firstly, make the Y button switch between your two primary guns. If I have the shotgun out, pressing Y should bring out my lancer. Y is worthless in MP.

Or if they don't want to do that, make it so that if I press right or left on the d-pad, it automatically switches to the opposite gun. I have been in tight situations where I have wanted to get my shotgun out, but I forgot whether it was right or left on the d-pad. So I press right, but OOOPS, it was on the left, so I gotta press that one now.

Whats the point....... If I have my shotgun out, obviously I wouldn't be pressing left or right on the d-pad again if I didn't want to take it out my lancer. Just make it easier.

PepsimanVsJoe said:
Playing Horde mode with randoms is useless.
These wieners always quit.

Yup had we had 4 people and some dude quit right after wave 40....us 3 who were left died on like 44 or something. Why quit on wave 41? Seriously...

Gouty

Bloodborne is shit
Annihilator said:
Yup had we had 4 people and some dude quit right after wave 40....us 3 who were left died on like 44 or something. Why quit on wave 41? Seriously...

Can't other people join? I'm nearly positive that we lost someone but by the time we finished we were 5 strong.

Mikey Jr. said:
This is my first time playing Gears multiplayer. I just have some questions, but also some comments.

Questions:

1. What is the etiquette when you see a bad guy go down but you didn't kill. Should you kill him, or wait for someone else? I think I heard someone call me a fa@@ot once because I did that. Is that considered kill stealing? The whole system feels moronic to me. You can shoot someone, but then a team member comes by and kills him, and THEY get the kill? Uhhh....what?

2. More of a comment, but they really need to add some control schemes to mp. I played just a few hours, and I could add a control option that would make my play time infinitely better.

Firstly, make the Y button switch between your two primary guns. If I have the shotgun out, pressing Y should bring out my lancer. Y is worthless in MP.

Or if they don't want to do that, make it so that if I press right or left on the d-pad, it automatically switches to the opposite gun. I have been in tight situations where I have wanted to get my shotgun out, but I forgot whether it was right or left on the d-pad. So I press right, but OOOPS, it was on the left, so I gotta press that one now.

Whats the point....... If I have my shotgun out, obviously I wouldn't be pressing left or right on the d-pad again if I didn't want to take it out my lancer. Just make it easier.

Just take the kill and move on. Ignore/mute any backlash. Too many times I have tried to be 'nice' about kill stealing, only to have the enemy get up because my team was too incompetent to finish the job.

And I support that control change. I'd also love to map sprint to left bumper as Tac/Com is also useless in the game modes I play online.

RS4-

Gouty said:
Can't other people join? I'm nearly positive that we lost someone but by the time we finished we were 5 strong.

I think people can only join if it's a private made game, not through public.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom