• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gears of War 3 |OT| BROTHERS TO THE END

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lingitiz

I feel like Gears 2 is one of those games no one will look back fondly on like with other franchises (especially the MP). Gears 3 does everything better without a doubt.

Superimposer

This is getting weirder all the time
I hated the underground parts in Gears 2, that's for sure. I just personally don't like Locusty environments for some reason. To me Act 5 was the best part of that game.

Now that I think about it, one can probably draw parallels between this trilogy and the Transformers movie trilogy. Not really a strand connecting the 3 (made up as it goes along most likely), the second was a big let-down, the third is seen as the 'true' sequel and considered by some to be the best. Plus there's a lot of blowing shit up at all times.

I don't like those movies for what it's worth

TheOddOne

Y2Kev said:
I felt Gears 2 really just got it wrong. The whole focus on bigger battles at longer distances just didn't make sense. I mean how many stupid reaver fights does that game have?

This game so far is pretty imaginative and varied. And I'm not underground 80% of the time. I approve.
So true, all I remember from that game was caves.

Lingitiz said:
I feel like Gears 2 is one of those games no one will look back fondly on like with other franchises (especially the MP). Gears 3 does everything better without a doubt.

I love Gears 2's campaign way more than Gears 1's campaign. Still working on the Gears 3 campaign.

dmg04

#DEADWRONG
>:|
running around blind on Trenches because it's all dusty and shit
last person alive on my team, la di da
walk into spawn area just trying to figure out where to go
enemy spawns, pulls out SOS, and blasts me

There should be a ribbon called 'Bitch Out'
Last kill with SOS

FateBreaker said:
I love Gears 2's campaign way more than Gears 1's campaign. Still working on the Gears 3 campaign.

The Gears 2 campaign had better set-pieces, but didn't flow as well as the campaign in Gears 3.

Gears 2 DID originate Horde mode though, which every shooter has since ripped off, so hat-tip to Epic and the Gears 2 team for that little break-through.

Gears of War (the original) still has the best campaign for my money.

The Antitype said:
The Gears 2 campaign had better set-pieces, but didn't flow as well as the campaign in Gears 3.

Gears 2 DID originate Horde mode though, which every shooter has since ripped off, so hat-tip to Epic and the Gears 2 team for that little break-through.

As of now (Act II), I think Gears 3 will win for best campaign. And I haven't even begun (or (purposely) know nothing about) the acclaimed Act III.

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
FateBreaker said:
Really? I kinda liked how Gears 1 had it broken up. I mean, the game was overall shorter, but Gears 2 I felt like...some chapters needed to be broken up more. For pacing and for perceived progress' sake.

SapientWolf

Trucker Sexologist
The Antitype said:

Timesplitters 2 had a horde mode.

SapientWolf said:
Timesplitters 2 had a horde mode.

I think his point is that Gears 2 benchmarked it. Many developers now look at Gears 2, not TS2, for reference. Well, now they should look at Gears 3's Horde 2.0. <3

dmg04

#DEADWRONG
That awkward moment when host migrates and 4 people join, one saying 'Yeah gears is nothing like COD i can't get a damn kill' and the rest saying 'Yeah i barely even know how to pick up weapons'

i need a team :|

Lingitiz

FateBreaker said:
I haven't finished Gears 3 yet but I also enjoyed Gears 2's campaign, but at the same time was pretty disappointed with how it turned out. I expected a natural extension of the first game, with 4 player coop, and larger bowl style arenas. While 2 got enemy variation right, it often focused on far too many mediocre rail sequences (Reaver fight, riding a Brumak, Centaur). I did enjoy some of the ridiculous set pieces such as the giant worm and Leviathan, and its an area where I felt like Epic really nailed it.

Gears 3 manages to expand the scope of the battlefield for 4 players while keeping that same arena style that the original game setup. Its taken the ridiculous variation from Gears 2 to crazy levels with the lambent. The environments look absolutely stunning, and the use of color is something I really wasn't expecting from the Gears universe. In addition to that in finally delivers on the promise that the MadWorld commercials have put out. (
Act III's ending really got me
).

Still, at the end of the day, any goodwill Gears 2 built up was absolutely killed because the MP was horrible, and this is coming from someone who put over 500 hrs into it.

-PXG-

Check this out...

x3Asm.jpg

pCQCu.jpg

Aske

Holy shit.

Gears 3 is amazing.

As a strictly Campaign-only player, I loved Gears 1 for its tight level design but thought Gears 2 dropped the ball. It retained the basic gameplay which was still solid, but I felt it didn't have the endless series of memorable battlegrounds that made the first game so compelling. It was more about memorable set-pieces than memorable encounters, and I found I consistently preferred replaying the first game when I wanted a Gears fix.

Gears 3 is the Gears 1 sequel I wanted. I've only played a few hours, but so far it feels like the perfect marriage of Gears 2's style with Gears 1's substance. Great job Epic.

In other news, what an amazing Collector's Edition. I love junk that feels like it's been taken directly from the game world, and the Octus medal and Fenix personal effects couldn't have been more beautifully reproduced. Best CE I've ever bought.

vitaminwateryum

corporate swill
If you're stuck on the last boss on insane try doing it solo. Just did it and it was ridiculously easy. Practically no
guard spawns and I didn't see a single shrieker.
Ended up making it through on my first try.

Nelo Ice

Banned
damn i love using the retro lancer, its especially useful for punishing idiots who seem to think its a good idea to rush towards me while im in cover and they're in an open area lol.

ShogunX

Strange thing happened to us last night when playing a ranked TDM on Hotel.

Basically our team had 6 players and our opponents had four. I was not showing up on the leaderboard or on the after game stats despite being in the match.

Deacan

9/10 NeoGAFfers don't understand statistics. The other 3/10 don't care.
I ended up having to take on a Lambent Berserker on my own on round 30 of horde mode today, I sent him crying to his momma, after an epic Benny Hill chase of going around in circles for 10 minutes.

Oh and please give me a farmer Dom costume.

Just had a 10 hour coop sittin via system link with my brother. Beat the game on Hardcore (still pretty easy). What a awesome ride, best Gears campaign for sure.
Only really negative thing was the last bossfight. Even the other bosses were much fun.

@Story: I still don't get why people think this is a good story, it's pretty standard....

JB1981

It manages to expand the scope whilst dumbing down the AI and making the game far easier and less of a cat and mouse challenge

The maps are all well designed. I've not yet encountered any that I thought "fuck this shit". I love how they are 'interactive' as well - like the sand storm in Trenches or the crumbling city in Overpass.

One gameplay feature I really wish carried over to online is the ability to swap weapons with team-mates. It might be hell to implement though.

mbmonk

EDIT: As a temporary measure Add gamertag "Gears 3 Gaf 4" (Notice it's the number 4 not the Roman Numeral). I will check it later tonight and accept all pending friend requests.

Old Post: Any update on Gears 3 Gaf IV tag? Is -PXG- still having problems signing in to Xbox.com?

RBK

Banned
The S-Word said:
Any tips on using the Gnasher in TDM? cant seem to get steady shots off. Is it just better to not pull the reticle up?
Best advice is to learn how to use the hip fire. Aiming with the shotgun is pointless unless its a for sure kill.

ChiefEdiri said:
Best advice is to learn how to use the hip fire. Aiming with the shotgun is pointless unless its a for sure kill.

yea i usually get killed off trying to pull up the reticle. i just need tips on getting off shots in general..

-PXG-

enzo_gt said:
Not visible or for sale yet I'm presuming, but on disc?

Well, it's on the disc since we can all see it. I took this pic by the way. Didn't find it else where

It's a special skin for Epic employees.

Nelo Ice said:
damn i love using the retro lancer, its especially useful for punishing idiots who seem to think its a good idea to rush towards me while im in cover and they're in an open area lol.
Same here - it removed any dependence I had on the shotgun. I can kill a lot faster and at more range than the shotgun.

Retro for life!

CliffyB

Playah
-PXG- said:

All day baby.

EDIT

I believe the servers are down. I ended up being host for a bunch of Quick KOTH matches. No one complained about lag though. It was smooth as butter for my team.

EDIT 2

Cliff, if you're reading this, ya'll gotta fix the character skin issue. Everytime I join a match that's in progress, I end up as a Drone, or Marcus. Hell, sometimes even after playing a few matches, I end up with a default skin. I hope you guys are aware of the issue and fix it before people start using purchased skins.

You should get a tooltip if you join in progress that tells you what is going on - you don't get your preferred skin until the map cycles. It's a side effect of memory managment. No idea what is happening if you are losing your skin....will keep eyes peeled for that one...

mbmonk

I created a new gamertag that we can use while Xbox.com gets it stuff together.

As a temporary measure Add gamertag "Gears 3 Gaf 4" (Notice it's the number 4 not the Roman Numeral). I will check it later tonight and accept all pending friend requests.

I was able to add the account to my friends list so it should be up and working. Once PXG gets the official Gears 3 Gaf IV up we can move to that.

EDIT: PXG I was able to go to hotmail.com and create a windows live account. Then I went to Xbox.com and created the gamer tag related to that hotmail account. When I tried to create a new account on Xbox.com it bombed out on me.

2th

Banned
-PXG- said:
Well, it's on the disc since we can all see it. I took this pic by the way. Didn't find it else where

It's a special skin for Epic employees.

They are very sexy to see in game. A bit distracting sometimes but still pretty damn awesome. Not sure which team color i like better though.

Gr1mLock

Passing metallic gas
The S-Word said:
yea i usually get killed off trying to pull up the reticle. i just need tips on getting off shots in general..

Tap both L and R at the same time to group shots better.

The Antitype said:

Horde, is just a borrowed feature from RE4 Mercenaries. With Epics gameplay designs.

2th said:
They are very sexy to see in game. A bit distracting sometimes but still pretty damn awesome. Not sure which team color i like better though.
Out of curiosity will those skins ever be available for normal players? They remind me of that rare glitch in Gears 2 where the textures wouldn't fully load and you'd get glowing red/blue starting weapons.

-PXG-

CliffyB said:
You should get a tooltip if you join in progress that tells you what is going on - you don't get your preferred skin until the map cycles. It's a side effect of memory managment. No idea what is happening if you are losing your skin....will keep eyes peeled for that one...

Yeah, another Epic dude just explained to me that it's a memory issue and that there is pretty much nothing you guys can do to fix it. There is only enough RAM to load the map and 10 skins while a game is in progress. Oh well. However, a lot of people are gonna be pissed once you start rolling out DLC character skins. But at least I know why it happens and you honestly cannot fix it without there being adverse effects to the levels.

It's odd how it will revert to default when you stay with a group. I'm certain it wasn't because of a host migration. I guess when the next match loads, for some reason, the game assumes you're joining in progress, therefore, giving you default skins.

What does adding the Gears 3 Gaf 4 gamertag do?
Is that just one person or do all the Gaf Gears players add that person?
Probably a stupid question but I'm confused.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom