• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gears of War 3 |OT| BROTHERS TO THE END

Status
Not open for further replies.

Marco1

_dementia said:
So in campaign, what's the deal with branching paths that reunite 5 seconds later?
To make the level feel less linear and more open.
I understand what you mean but I suppose this was to fool people complaining it's just a corridor shooting fest.

iavi

JambiBum said:
Match making being ridiculously slow for anyone else?

Yeah, it's been super slow about letting me into games this weekend. I guess the blitz may have been more than they were expecting, if that's even possible.

XxCGSxX

Miri said:
Yeah, it's been super slow about letting me into games this weekend. I guess the blitz may have been more than they were expecting, if that's even possible.
Matchmaking is horrible over here, can't find matches on ranked. When I go into quick match there is always host migration and a little bit of movement lag, it feels....different. Anyone knows if they are fixing it?

Wow.
That was some heavy shit with Dom. I'm pretty torn up, but looking back, how could it have gone any other way. He was a shell of the man he was. Good job Epic.

Played a shitload of matches today. The hours just fly by when you in the zone.

I wish the rotation on quick match was a little better. I guess its all random, but I played for several hours and got Sandbar once, Gridlock once, and Hotel at least a dozen or so times.

Also, Overpass is just the worst for TDM. Both times we got the Hammer of Dawn and just sat up top, Lancer/Hammerburst/Hammering people from their spawn. Bad map is bad...but great for Horde!

JambiBum

Miri said:
It was fine all day yesterday but this morning it seems to be taking forever. I'm sure that it will get ironed out.

So I ordered the game from Walmart and then changed my mind and went with Amazon, but Walmart wouldn't let me cancel my order because they already sent me the $20 gift card and the order was technically in process.

I haven't used the gift card and plan on returning my Walmart copy, but I was just wondering what the likelihood is that Walmart won't remember or care to take back the gift card and Savage Grenadier code?

Bread

Banned
The Antitype said:
Sigh.

Sawed-off shotgun is for baby-killers, pedophiles, people that talk during movies, and Epic employees.
I was thinking that too, then I switched to the Retro Lancer. Sawed-off shotties ain't got shit on me anymore!

Bread said:
I was thinking that too, then I switched to the Retro Lancer. Sawed-off shotties ain't got shit on me anymore!

I guess that's the deal huh? Rock-paper-scissors balance where the Lancer cuts down the Retro at range, which cuts down the shotgun at med range.

Fair enough. Not great, but I guess that's the way it is.

I still think it renders the gnasher moot, which is sad.

kuYuri

Unknown Soldier said:
How does Horde work, anyway? If I join a friend partway through, do I just need to get through the earlier levels later to get the achievements/medals? Or is Horde supposed to be done 1-50 in one ridiculous sitting?

It doesn't have to be in one sitting, the game keeps track of the past waves you have done.

Grisby

The Antitype said:
I guess that's the deal huh? Rock-paper-scissors balance where the Lancer cuts down the Retro at range, which cuts down the shotgun at med range.

Fair enough. Not great, but I guess that's the way it is.

I still think it renders the gnasher moot, which is sad.

Can't agree man on the shotgun point. I've had a ton of situations already where a dude missed with an SOS, my gnashey takes him out, and his buddy behind him.

But you pretty much hit the nail on the head. I think Gears is going to be as balanced as its ever gonna be here.

Wonder if the SP DLC will go into the story of what was on the disk adam gave baird. Such a shame adam died and dom :( i kinda miss the exclusion of a RAAM/Skorge type character aswell but its my only gripe with the story the rest was fantastic. RAAM/Full armoured Skorge for DLC

J-Roderton

I'm having way too much fun with the Boltok pistol. It's so easy to headshot with, especially when someone is charging straight at you with the Retro blade out. It's like a mini sniper rifle.

Grisby said:
Can't agree man on the shotgun point. I've had a ton of situations already where a dude missed with an SOS, my gnashey takes him out, and his buddy behind him.

But you pretty much hit the nail on the head. I think Gears is going to be as balanced as its ever gonna be here.

I really don't know why anybody would choose the gnasher when the SOS works better for rushing players in cover AND countering people rushing at you.

The ONLY situation it works [marginally] better in is if you feel like jumping into a whole crew of enemies and trying to take them all out at once.

The game would be far better balanced if the SOS did not exist. I can't imagine a scenario that wouldn't play out in a more fun and engaging manner if the Gnasher was the only shotgun to use.

J-Roderton

K' Dash said:
I have played 3 consecutive matches of horde with everyone leaving before round 10, shit's annoying, a waste of time...

Can players drop in and fill their empty spots after they leave?

furly said:
I have 3 Mechanic Baird skins that I'd like to trade for other gears 3 skins

I might have a Savage Grenadier Elite to trade if Walmart doesn't take it back when I return the game.

Anybody know if Walmart requires that you return the pre-order character code with the game?

mbmonk

HawksWinStanley said:
I might have a Savage Grenadier Elite to trade if Walmart doesn't take it back when I return the game.

Anybody know if Walmart requires that you return the pre-order character code with the game?

Ethics might dictate you give the code back regardless of the official return policy, but of course it's always up to the individual. Not trying to poop on your party or anything.

mbmonk said:
Ethics might dictate you give the code back regardless of the official return policy, but of course it's always up to the individual. Not trying to poop on your party or anything.

But what would they do with it? They can't exactly give it away with a game anymore and I'd hate for it to just get thrown away or something. Can they sell it back to Microsoft?

Wizman23

Banned
The Antitype said:
Sigh.

Sawed-off shotgun is for baby-killers, pedophiles, people that talk during movies, and Epic employees.
And me! Love that fucking gun. Why don't you quit posting the same bullshit on every page and either get better at the game or just play something else.

Hixx

K2Valor said:
I have seen some poorly thought out maps in my day, but Overpass takes the cake.

I like Overpass.

My teams always seem to take the highground and annihilate the other team.

Wizman23 said:
And me! Love that fucking gun. Why don't you quit posting the same bullshit on every page and either get better at the game or just play something else.

So are you a pedophile or a baby-killer?

SMH

Game design doesn't change whether you win or lose. The flaws are still the same.

I can exploit weapon issues as well as the next player, but there's very little satisfying about screwing over the guy who had the drop on me with the gnasher by turning around and blasting him with the SOS.

Or rushing up on a guy in cover, wading through his gunfire, and blasting him in the face for an instagib.

And I'm posting, cause there's a lot of time to kill waiting for Epic's matchmaking times to find a match. I'm fine at the game, and I'm trying to find the 'groove' that will make me enjoy it as much as I remember enjoying GoW. I'm just voicing the obstacles that are impeding that progress.

Goreomedy

Console Market Analyst
Wizman23 said:

I got a triple kill using that beauty with one shot on Gridlock because the entire fucking team was on the Sniper balcony. That's just asking for it.

Anyway, the answer for SOS is the Hammerburst, and staying out in the open. The guys that refuse to use anything else but the shotty are no match for distance fighting. And they assume they'll survive the run up to you because they're so used to opponents sticking with the default Lancer.

Wizman23

Banned
What is the deal with the shit talking your character is supposed to do after a kill in multiplayer? I can hear other people's characters, but my character never says anything after a kill it's dead silent. Kind of disappointing.

JambiBum

Wizman23 said:
What is the deal with the shit talking your character is supposed to do after a kill in multiplayer? I can hear other people's characters, but my character never says anything after a kill it's dead silent. Kind of disappointing.
Who do you play as? Certain characters are way more talkative than others.

I really, really, REALLY, REALLY do not like what the SOS has done to to this game. It's such a BS weapon. I never EVER feel like "OK, that guy was just better than me that time" after getting killed by it. Either people just camp corners like bitches and pop out mashing RT because you barely have to aim, or people just casually walk into a KOTH flustercluck and just shoot in somebody's general direction. Either one of those takes no skill, and feels like the cheapest way to die in the entire game.

And don't mistake this for frustration because I was getting spanked. I held my own in every match today, and won a lot of them, but the SOS is still just so bad. Every Versus game mode would benefit from that gun being removed from the game.

Wizman23

Banned
JambiBum said:
Who do you play as? Certain characters are way more talkative than others.
I switch them up a lot however I noticed the lack of shit talking while rolling with the Cole Train earlier. Was even rocking out some double and triple kills and he never muttered a peep..... Not even a whooooooooo baby. Glitch maybe?

Tawpgun

Net_Wrecker said:
I really, really, REALLY, REALLY do not like what the SOS has done to to this game. It's such a BS weapon. I never EVER feel like "OK, that guy was just better than me that time" after getting killed by it. Either people just camp corners like bitches and pop out mashing RT because you barely have to aim, or people just casually walk into a KOTH flustercluck and just shoot in somebody's general direction. Either one of those takes no skill, and feels like the cheapest way to die in the entire game.

And don't mistake this for frustration because I was getting spanked. I held my own in every match today, and won a lot of them, but the SOS is still just so bad. Every Versus game mode would benefit from that gun being removed from the game.
This is the SOS problem.

I'm in Act 5 now, but WOAW, great fucking game.
I took a break from Deux Ex to play this and although the first chapters were kinda... meh, i really think this is the very best Gears game. It's just a amazingly great shooter in general.
damn good. and some of the levels are really a nice challenge on hardcore.

JambiBum

Wizman23 said:
I switch them up a lot however I noticed the lack of shit talking while rolling with the Cole Train earlier. Was even rocking out some double and triple kills and he never muttered a peep..... Not even a whooooooooo baby. Glitch maybe?
I play as classic Cole all the time and he talks quite a bit for me. Sometimes he is quiet though.

Net_Wrecker said:

The only time I feel alright about being SOS killed is when the dude comes up behind me and kills me without me noticing him. Other than that, it's bullshit.

2th

Banned
HawksWinStanley said:

I dont think they can take it back. I will trade you an Adam Fenix for that code if you want :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom