• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gears of War 3 |OT| BROTHERS TO THE END

Status
Not open for further replies.
Shogun PaiN said:
Strange thing happened to us last night when playing a ranked TDM on Hotel.

Basically our team had 6 players and our opponents had four. I was not showing up on the leaderboard or on the after game stats despite being in the match.

Same thing happened to me.... wait do I know you?

Gamertag?

-PXG-

Seth Balmore said:
Out of curiosity will those skins ever be available for normal players? They remind me of that rare glitch in Gears 2 where the textures wouldn't fully load and you'd get glowing red/blue starting weapons.

Nope. Epic needs something for themselves you know. Something no one else will have.

Nori Chan

It's been a while since I've been on gears gaf lol

What level is everyone? I'm currently at 38.

Fake edit: oh and onyx medal for Doorman (Mainuplate xx objects in campaign)? I've Got The Codes. FUCKING EPIC

Kawl_USC

Picked this up at kmart with the 50% off year of xbox live and 20$ gaming coupon. Awesome deal since my gold just ran out. My first 15 matches online were embarrassing but after that I'm getting the hang of things again. Havnt played gears online since gears 1 so I'm a little rusty. So far the campaignis great I'm up to chapter 1 act 4. High five to cliffy and the guys at epic, this is your studios best game yet.

Plasmid

Cliff i love your game but i don't love the whole "your character will be available next match" shit that's going on.

Really fuckin up my attempts to get amazonian.

mbmonk

Syph Medwes said:
What does adding the Gears 3 Gaf 4 gamertag do?
Is that just one person or do all the Gaf Gears players add that person?
Probably a stupid question but I'm confused.

If everyone on Gaf adds "Gears 3 Gaf 4" to their friends list, then when you are online you can check the profile of the tag "Gears 3 Gaf 4" and then view that accounts friends list. Thus you can see everyone from Gaf that added the tag who is online at the moment and you can join/play with them.

At least... that is how I think it works. :)

How does Horde work, anyway? If I join a friend partway through, do I just need to get through the earlier levels later to get the achievements/medals? Or is Horde supposed to be done 1-50 in one ridiculous sitting?

imtehman

Banned
Jeez the graphics in this game are amazing. How they have it looking this great with so many enemies and 4 people playing at the same time with 2005 hardware is just inconceivable. the end of act 3 where
lambent and locust are over-running you is just intense

-PXG- said:
Nope. Epic needs something for themselves you know. Something no one else will have.
Yeah what about that medal that gives 2x exp :p and I thought they had those white skins too. Damn Epic employees be stylin' on us dirty peasants, lol.

-PXG-

Plasmid said:
Cliff i love your game but i don't love the whole "your character will be available next match" shit that's going on.

Really fuckin up my attempts to get amazonian.

The explanation for that is on this very page.

It's annoying, but legitimate. Sure, they could load every character skin in the background, but then you'd be reduced to playing on a black and white checkboard level. The 360 simply doesn't have enough memory to load all of those (incredibly detailed) character models.

They're not going to fix it. Ever. They simply can't. So you're just gonna have accept it. However, as Cliff and I have pointed out, it's odd how it will continue to revert to default skins after you've settled into party, joined and played several matches with the same group.

Plasmid

-PXG- said:
The explanation for that is on this very page.

It's annoying, but legitimate. Sure, they could load every character skin in the background, but then you'd be reduced to playing on a black and white checkboard level. The 360 simply doesn't have enough memory to load all of those (incredibly detailed) character models.

They're not going to fix it. Ever. They simply can't. So you're just gonna have accept it. However, as Cliff and I have pointed out, it's odd how it will continue to revert to default skins after you've settled into party, joined and played several matches with the same group.

Ah, i never see cliff because no avatar :(.

But thanks!

fuck dp.

Sullichin

I think I'm on act 2 in the campaign (co-op). I'm impressed with the games technical prowess, great image quality, and satisfying gun play. The worst thing about this game by far is the art direction/presentation/story. I literally have no idea/don't give a shit what is happening, don't care for any of the characters and find myself wondering why they even bother giving you excuses to run to the next checkpoint. Lots of screaming bros.

Elginer

Holy shit just got to act 3 was blown away by the visuals. THAT LIGHTING IS DELICIOUS. I'll admit I wasn't feeling the visuals too much early off in the game but it's actually getting more and more impressive. Damn EPIC, you guys are wizards.

-PXG-

Actually, Cliff, I will add that I joined a match this morning and got default skins. However, during the match, we got a host migration. When the match restarted, I was given my selected skin (I was COG, so instead of default Marcus, I was given my Classic Baird)

In other words, if you join a match in progress, you will be given default skins, but if a host migration takes place, your selected skin will be enabled.

I just forgot the mention that earlier.

Arnie

Bread said:
Overpass is the worst map in Gears history.

That is all.
Hyperbolic, but I understand your frustration. Day One is the worst Gears map in history, although they both have something in common, in that they're designed as much to accomodate Horde as they are Versus.

Elginer said:
Holy shit just got to act 3 was blown away by the visuals. THAT LIGHTING IS DELICIOUS. I'll admit I wasn't feeling the visuals too much early off in the game but it's actually getting more and more impressive. Damn EPIC, you guys are wizards.

Just wait til you see Act V. There's some lighting effects there that take place that will have you gasping.

mbmonk said:
If everyone on Gaf adds "Gears 3 Gaf 4" to their friends list, then when you are online you can check the profile of the tag "Gears 3 Gaf 4" and then view that accounts friends list. Thus you can see everyone from Gaf that added the tag who is online at the moment and you can join/play with them.

At least... that is how I think it works. :)
Ahh ok, that makes sense, thanks.

2th

Banned
Seth Balmore said:
Out of curiosity will those skins ever be available for normal players? They remind me of that rare glitch in Gears 2 where the textures wouldn't fully load and you'd get glowing red/blue starting weapons.

From what I have heard from people, I doubt it. I mean the guys at Epic do deserve their custom skins so why would they give this one up. They did already give up the Liquid Metal skins for the Season Pass.

CliffyB said:
You should get a tooltip if you join in progress that tells you what is going on - you don't get your preferred skin until the map cycles. It's a side effect of memory managment. No idea what is happening if you are losing your skin....will keep eyes peeled for that one...

Would you PLEASE get an avatar so we can find your posts more easily. Plus i miss the bunny lol

bumpkin

Ugh, I don't know how they did it, but they did.
The combination of Adam "dying" and the ending conversation between Marcus and Anya made me misty.
You bastards!

But Marcus shanking Myrrah and saying it's from Dom and everyone else who died, so good! I'm glad they didn't take Marcus' anger too far and make it into a dumb bloody pulp mini-game like a certain PS3 exclusive did. Short, sweet, satisfying.

-PXG- said:
Oh, it's a legit skin
That is amazing looking.

Demoncarnotaur said:
Wtf, my friend and I have been playing the same games, yet somehow he just unlocked the Golden Gear..? I guess thats a glitch?

Also, still bummed the game didn't unlock my Thrashball Cole.

Anyone have answers for either of those?

mbmonk

Bump for a new page:

I created a new gamertag that we can use while Xbox.com gets it stuff together.

As a temporary measure Add gamertag "Gears 3 Gaf 4" (Notice it's the number 4 not the Roman Numeral). I will check it later tonight and accept all pending friend requests.

Daigoro

PepsimanVsJoe said:
Arcade > Standard in every way.

yes. i love it. every game needs an arcade co-op campaign.

BattleMedic said:
Going into a 1v1 gnasher battle on equal terms and coming out the victor is so satisfying, sometimes I wish there was a replay theatre.

every game needs a replay theater too. its very much missed in Gears 3.

Grisby

Arnie said:
Hyperbolic, but I understand your frustration. Day One is the worst Gears map in history, although they both have something in common, in that they're designed as much to accomodate Horde as they are Versus.

I too disliked Day One. Overpass is alright by me. Had some fun KOH games a a moment ago until I got randomly DC'd from Live.

That's happened twice btw. Weird. Never had it happen with any other game.

Lingitiz

The S-Word said:
yea i usually get killed off trying to pull up the reticle. i just need tips on getting off shots in general..
I'm not a total expert but here's some things I feel have helped me out.

There's 3 basic things to know when using the Gnasher: hard aim, pop shots, and hip fire.

- Hard aim (Hold down L trigger fully): When you feel like you can line up an open shot from mid range, avoid doing this with lots of enemies around. I rarely use this myself, leaves you very open to flanking.

- Hip fire: Do this at very close distances. It is really useful once you know how to wall bounce, but that could take some time if you're new. I would stay away from this until you have a better feel of the Gnasher. If done right, slower moving players don't stand a chance.

- Pop shot (press L trigger and fire very quickly): I generally use this in between hard aim and hip fire distances. The problem is that pulling up your gun for the pop shot can change where you expect the bullets to him. I use it in more of a supportive role when I have teammates around.

Against turtling players, its all about the angles that you take towards them. I do a ton of sideways rolls and aggressive wallbouncing, which is pretty risky at times. It leads to success for me alot, but again, it is very risky to play so aggressive (especially in TDM now).

At the end of the day, it is going to take a while to learn the Gnasher. There are players that have total mastery over it and they've been playing with severe lag all these years. The best thing you can do gradually practice in TDM, and use rifles in the meantime to punish very overzealous players.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom