• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gears of War 3 |OT| BROTHERS TO THE END

Status
Not open for further replies.
Obviously nobody's gonna be playing Ranked Stranded, Ranked anything is tryhard stacked team territory.

But maaaaaan, those numbers sting, lol.

I was just playing Wingman with Marcus and I picked up Griffin to use as a meat shield and he says "hey hey hey. Whats that poking me in the ass?" lol
I've been using Griffin for a while but Ive never heard him say that before. Funny guy

30c2c7c.jpg

Brakara

Or maybe they should have thought of that while they were making the game?

That's just silly. Epic's main priority isn't to design for high-level competitive matches.

But I guess you don't watch these matches? If you do, would you really like to watch slower more boring games, just because Epic didn't think of that while they were making the game? Again, that's just silly.

There's nothing wrong about a community setting up their own rules for tournament play. I mean, that's something that happens in most e-sports games. Why would Gears be different?

JambiBum

Why did everyone want this then? Sad. Everytime I get on, I hardly see more than 40-50 people playing it in our region. Dumbbbb

Same reason you only get 1000 or so playing alpha. The people who want these playlists are the minority. They are also the loudest.

Brolic Gaoler

formerly Alienshogun
Same reason you only get 1000 or so playing alpha. The people who want these playlists are the minority. They are also the loudest.

I'd bet that stranded brings in more players that would otherwise not play gears at all when their friends aren't on. I know it's nice to have when I feel like fucking around alone.

JambiBum

I'd bet that stranded brings in more players that would otherwise not play gears at all when their friends aren't on. I know it's nice to have when I feel like fucking around alone.

I play other games when my crew isn't around. I understand the need for stranded. I'm not against it at all. I just find it funny that it and alpha have the least amount of players by far when people were so vocal about getting them added in. I just checked the player count for both playlists. Stranded has 200 people in quick and 11 in ranked. Alpha has 380 in quick and 200 in ranked. I just find it funny that there was this huge outcry for these playlists, especially alpha, and there are so few people playing them.

Brolic Gaoler

formerly Alienshogun
I play other games when my crew isn't around. I understand the need for stranded. I'm not against it at all. I just find it funny that it and alpha have the least amount of players by far when people were so vocal about getting them added in. I just checked the player count for both playlists. Stranded has 200 people in quick and 11 in ranked. Alpha has 380 in quick and 200 in ranked. I just find it funny that there was this huge outcry for these playlists, especially alpha, and there are so few people playing them.

Well, I don't think the yanking back and forth of stranded is helping either. Sometimes when it comes back it has 2k or so, then they change it to be something else, or swap it out completely. There's no method to the madness, and the "average" player has no clue when to expect it, or even to know when it's actually back.

It's a really stupid way to handle the community IMO.

Ballistik

Well, I don't think the yanking back and forth of stranded is helping either. Sometimes when it comes back it has 2k or so, then they change it to be something else, or swap it out completely. There's no method to the madness, and the "average" player has no clue when to expect it, or even to know when it's actually back.

Yeah, I went in the other day with the idea of playing Alpha Koth, since Sawed off is less prevalent.

Get on and it's now Alpha Execution.

And the sad thing is that as far as I know it's all due to an UI limitation. The game has a set amount of spaces for separate playlists and Epic apparently can't expand it with an update, so that's why they juggle playlists constantly and why they merged Warzone and Execution, to make space for something else. It's like they didn't plan ahead or foresee the possibility of needing more different playlists...

Montresor

Then watch the video. It is not hard to understand. I went from red 66 to 89 over the night and should be 100 by the time I get home from work. Niceee

If I'm understanding the method correctly, with one turbo controller and one regular controller this can be done via splitscreen play?

JambiBum

And the sad thing is that as far as I know it's all due to an UI limitation. The game has a set amount of spaces for separate playlists and Epic apparently can't expand it with an update, so that's why they juggle playlists constantly and why they merged Warzone and Execution, to make space for something else. It's like they didn't plan ahead or foresee the possibility of needing more different playlists...

They don't need more playlists though. That's the thing. Sure new playlists for events can be fun every now and then but besides the core group that's all there should be. Until I see the newer playlists with close to the same numbers as the core group then I will continue to think that they aren't needed. The only new playlist that should stay is stranded because it is actually worth it.

Lima

If I'm understanding the method correctly, with one turbo controller and one regular controller this can be done via splitscreen play?

Yes. This gets you about 1 million xp in 8-9 hours. I just let it run overnight and then I set it up again when I leave for work. Because the game sometimes bugs out at the 9h 15m mark and will start the wave even if you did not set up a comm point.

The whole method with 2 360's and 4 players is just for people that want it go even faster. With that setup you could earn the ribbon every second which will give you 7500xp every minute. There is a lot more work involved to set it up though.

JambiBum

Yes. This gets you about 1 million xp in 8-9 hours. I just let it run overnight and then I set it up again when I leave for work. Because the game sometimes bugs out at the 9h 15m mark and will start the wave even if you did not set up a comm point.

The whole method with 2 360's and 4 players is just for people that want it go even faster. With that setup you could earn the ribbon every second which will give you 7500xp every minute. There is a lot more work involved to set it up though.

Explain something to me please. Why bother doing the xp exploit? Why not just earn the xp in a legit way? I understand boosting certain onyx medals because some of them are ridiculous, but as far as xp goes, I just don't get the point. I'd rather earn my level than boost it.

so i finally beat this game and i really enjoyed it. i honestly went into this game without much excitement since i didnt think this game could do anything more epic or awesome that the other games havent already done. i was surprised how wrong i was about that. that submarine mission...wooooooooooooooow

and at the end, i actually felt kinda bad about the locust and it seemed like humans were being assholes the entire time. yeah, they killed billions of our species but still :< it was a nice conclusion and the story wrapped up well i thought.

my biggest problem with this game were the graphics issues and slowdowns. i never experienced either in the first 2 and i was annoyed how often the game would slow down during the last 2 acts. all throughout the second half of act 4 and until the very last battle with the queen, the graphics got jaggy and the textures went on a vacation.

another problem was that the cutscenes' resolutions went all over the place. some of them looked gorgeous while others looked like youtube 240p quality. i dont know why, and the switching back and forth kinda took me out of the experience.

however, that last mission and boss fight was just incredible. it should be a crime for a game to look this good. i hope we get another gears game sometime soon as i love the gameplay in this. unlike most shooters, its actually very satisfying to shoot someone in this game.

mernst23

Explain something to me please. Why bother doing the xp exploit? Why not just earn the xp in a legit way? I understand boosting certain onyx medals because some of them are ridiculous, but as far as xp goes, I just don't get the point. I'd rather earn my level than boost it.

This baffles me as well, and i'm grinding onyx medals. If I wind up getting all 65 medals long before I hit my 100, i was still going to play online versus or horde or whatever until I got my second 100 so the achievement pops. If there was an achievement for being prestige level 4 100 I could understand doing the xp glitch, but that's not even the motivation.

TRios Zen

I can't speak for Lima, and I don't/wont boost XP myself, but I would consider it for one reason: TIME. I love this game - I play it as often as I can. But with a full-time job, a wife, 2 kids (sports practice, homework, family time, baths) I have minimal time to play.

Since release I've played maybe 700 MP matches. I'm a level 85 and it will be some time before I get to 100 unfortunately. I don't even want to think about re-upping 2 or 3 times... Near impossible with the amount of time I get to game.

I can't speak for Lima, and I don't/wont boost XP myself, but I would consider it for one reason: TIME. I love this game - I play it as often as I can. But with a full-time job, a wife, 2 kids (sports practice, homework, family time, baths) I have minimal time to play.

Since release I've played maybe 700 MP matches. I'm a level 85 and it will be some time before I get to 100 unfortunately. I don't even want to think about re-upping 2 or 3 times... Near impossible with the amount of time I get to game.

Dude, we pretty much have identical statistics. 700 odd matches and sitting at a respectable 85.

Last night was maybe the first time that I've thought to myself, "I'm bored" whilst playing Gears. And I feel that it's largely due to the map rotation issue. I was pretty much cycling through Blooddrive, Overpass and Azura for over an hour.

Oh, yeah; Anvil came up about a million times, too. I already fucking hate it.

TRios Zen

Dude, we pretty much have identical statistics. 700 odd matches and sitting at a respectable 85.

Last night was maybe the first time that I've thought to myself, "I'm bored" whilst playing Gears. And I feel that it's largely due to the map rotation issue. I was pretty much cycling through Blooddrive, Overpass and Azura for over an hour.

Oh, yeah; Anvil came up about a million times, too. I already fucking hate it.

I hear you on the map rotation thing. So disappointing when I see the same maps every night. There are a few maps I'm NOT tired of yet though, and Azura and Anvil are two. Don't get me wrong, I'd love to play more Academy, Escalation, etc, but you can do worse than those two I think.

I also still dig Mercy, Rustlung, Checkout and Thrashball. Hell, I like a lot of maps, it's the stinkers that continually show up that piss me off (looking at you overpass/sandbar/blood drive) exacerbated by the fact that the new ones rarely show!

Bro-fist on the level though...keeping it real! (ha)

I hear you on the map rotation thing. So disappointing when I see the same maps every night. There are a few maps I'm NOT tired of yet though, and Azura and Anvil are two. Don't get me wrong, I'd love to play more Academy, Escalation, etc, but you can do worse than those two I think.

I also still dig Mercy, Rustlung, Checkout and Thrashball. Hell, I like a lot of maps, it's the stinkers that continually show up that piss me off (looking at you overpass/sandbar/blood drive) exacerbated by the fact that the new ones rarely show!

Bro-fist on the level though...keeping it real! (ha)

Don't get me wrong. I love the majority of the maps, but when you're seeing only a handful over and over, it kills them a lot quicker.

And definite bro-fist there. I am 85 levels of pure QM TDM. I'd rather be a competent 85-er than a re-up'd spaz.

malfcn

How do they run an awesome Beta, an awesome Launch, and then fuck up during the holidays? Biggest hype to disappointment, quickstyle. I have had a hard time turning on the game lately, because every time I do..it is the same old maps, and the same old trashy lag.

Makes me sad because I bought the Epic Edition, bought the Season pass etc. Heck, I bought my first Xbox back in the day for Gears 1, and got all my friends to do so too. Now hardly anyone I know plays it.

This game is the definition of the ecstasy and agony.

JambiBum

I rarely if ever have any issues with the servers. I'm going to guess that's because I never play quick match and only play ranked though. Every time I come in the thread and see people having issues with servers/map rotation I am kind of baffled because I never experience any of those issues. Every now and then I'll get some lag in a ranked game, but nothing like you guys get.

Lima

I just wanted the two re-up achievements as fast as possible. I don't care about my rank or anything. I'm now at the red wings and I intend to stay there. I would have stayed at the first wings if Epic didn't include these stupid achievements. I fucking hate that prestiging shit.

And I got my first 100 just by playing the game so.

For the last 3-4 nights we've always encountered the glitch where no one can pick up anything, and there are ammo boxes lying around. Also, it's impossible to take cover. This happens sooner or later in quick match versus.

mernst23

Any word on DLC4 yet, or did I miss something on another page?

Grinded out about 1100 boltok kills last night and 650 were headshots. Which bring me to 3000/6000 and 2100/4000. Only at green 37 though so far.

Sometimes this game gets me so angry at times lol. It's like on some maps once the other team grabs that power weapon it's a game of duck hunt.

Gr1mLock

Passing metallic gas
i haven't played since last week. I might get some games in tonight. So what are they doing to this game. No servers? No release notes for weapon changes? Not really feeling it Epic.

deviant1

For the last 3-4 nights we've always encountered the glitch where no one can pick up anything, and there are ammo boxes lying around. Also, it's impossible to take cover. This happens sooner or later in quick match versus.

Ran into this about 5 times this earlier in the Torque Bow Tag event playlist. After 2-3 matches it all went to hell. I also had some really funny lag and characters warping all over the map, in the air, and off the map.

Brolic Gaoler

formerly Alienshogun
Uhg, stranded is gone again. I'm about to give up. Jerking it around like this is completely stupid. The people who want to/need to play solo aren't going to keep coming back to check if it's random.

malfcn

They've cashed their checks, they don't give a fuck about the game anymore..or that's how it seems.

And a TU to fix the maps, is that the second or third time needing to do that? Love the game, but hate the game. Is there any other game is is as good and as bad as Gears?

JambiBum

Everyone who is having these problems, do me a favor, play ranked and see if it happens. I never have any of these problems. At all. No map rotation issues, no weird flying off the map shit, none of it. I'm beginning to think it is only a quick match issue.

Everyone who is having these problems, do me a favor, play ranked and see if it happens. I never have any of these problems. At all. No map rotation issues, no weird flying off the map shit, none of it. I'm beginning to think it is only a quick match issue.

I'm basically in the same boat as you, in that I seldom experience any glitchy/laggy nonsense and I've played 100% QMTDM. So, yeah, maybe our copies are just awesome-balls.

Played a couple hours today, QM Torque Bow Tag mostly. I feel I'm getting the hang of that damn weapon, tended to lead my shots too much but I got some pretty good numbers by the end. Especially learned to keep my twitch reflex in check, that messes up most of my shots.

Must've played on Anvil like 8 times, kid you not. Good to know Epic are fixing the Fenix Rising map rotation issue. Connections were mostly fine... mostly.

Also noticed I keep running into the same players from different countries for many days straight... in Gears 2 that began happening after TU6 dropped. That doesn't speak well for the playerbase outside the US. :/

Brakara

Also noticed I keep running into the same players from different countries for many days straight... in Gears 2 that began happening after TU6 dropped. That doesn't speak well for the playerbase outside the US. :/

Depends on where and what you play. In Europe, TDM and KOTH have healthy numbers. Other playlists, not so much (although the combined WZ/EXE is a lot more popular than when they were split, and now the third most popular playlist).

I haven't been playing Gears a lot recently, the first couple weeks of the semester have been really busy and I've just been playing Dragon Age during the week to wind down at the end of the day. Next week should be relatively light for me though and I'm looking forward to getting back into it. We should try to get another Horde/ Campaign session going soon, the one we did a few weeks back was fun. If anyone is into playing campaign and is free past 9 PM PST this week send me a friend request (GT is Dinner Cat), Arcade campaign is maybe my favorite part of Gears and playing random people on Live sort of sucks when no one has a headshot or someone on the team just sucks at the game.

I got your invite to play Friday night Oml3t, I just had the 360 on to play Netflix in the background while I did homework though. Felt kind of bad about not sending you a message.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom