• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gears of War 3 |OT| BROTHERS TO THE END

Status
Not open for further replies.
The gnasher being more accurate/effective at longer ranges with hard aim has been there since the very beginning.

I'm not saying that they haven't changed it lately, though. I feel the Lancer (NON-active) may have been toned down.

The game plays like crap for me anyway :/

Robot Pants

This game is so all over the place it's ridiculous.
It's been 3 god damn iterations and like 200 TU's. Get it together, EPIC and finish your game.

Rifles getting accuracy while aiming is more to do with keeping the kickback more steady, a shotgun though what gears is doing is making the damage cone tighter when you aim, not even a real shotgun does that.

I know it's a game but it was unrequired in gears 3.

Brolic Gaoler

formerly Alienshogun
The gnasher being more accurate/effective at longer ranges with hard aim has been there since the very beginning.

I'm not saying that they haven't changed it lately, though. I feel the Lancer (NON-active) may have been toned down.

The game plays like crap for me anyway :/

Quinn said nothing about the gnasher has been changed since launch.

Does anyone know what this weekend's Gears event is? Also, the last time I came into this thread I got called a retard for saying the rifle/shotgun balance had changed for the worse in the latest title update. Now you guys are all talking about it.

RSTEIN

Comics, serious business!
More details on our quick test. ThirdEngine and I tested the Hammy on Escalation. He planted himself behind cover at the top of the first stairway (going striaght up from the bottom spawn) and I tried to run up the stairs, straight at him, and gib him with my shotgun. While doing this he would fire at me. I was able to run up the stairs straight at him and get to cover for a perfect shotty blast no problem. My running was not restricted in any way. Of course I took damage, but not enough to put me down.

We also tried on a flat strip. With his Hammy firing on me I was able to charge at him probably from 20 feet away or so and make it to within shotty range each time. When he charged at me while I was firing on him with the lancer I would down him before he got to within 10 feet of me. He didn't stand a chance.

USD

Taking off stopping power on the Hammerburst is dumb. Now I actually have to worry about head-on Retro Lancer charges.

More details on our quick test. ThirdEngine and I tested the Hammy on Escalation. He planted himself behind cover at the top of the first stairway (going striaght up from the bottom spawn) and I tried to run up the stairs, straight at him, and gib him with my shotgun. While doing this he would fire at me. I was able to run up the stairs straight at him and get to cover for a perfect shotty blast no problem. My running was not restricted in any way. Of course I took damage, but not enough to put me down.

We also tried on a flat strip. With his Hammy firing on me I was able to charge at him probably from 20 feet away or so and make it to within shotty range each time. When he charged at me while I was firing on him with the lancer I would down him before he got to within 10 feet of me. He didn't stand a chance.

I personally think this is good to keep the hammerburst as a range weapon more then a close quarters one, it will be missed and I will rage but it's one tweak I can agree with.

TRios Zen

Taking off stopping power on the Hammerburst is dumb. Now I actually have to worry about head-on Retro Lancer charges.

Was there ever stopping power on the hammerburst? Only rifle I can ever recall having noticeable stopping power is the lancer.

In other news: celebrating super bowl weekend by making thrashball drone available to play for all (for a limited time) announced by Quinn DelHoyo on twitter.

USD

Was there ever stopping power on the hammerburst? Only rifle I can ever recall having noticeable stopping power is the lancer.

In other news: celebrating super bowl weekend by making thrashball drone available to play for all (for a limited time) announced by Quinn DelHoyo on twitter.
It was definitely there before, especially noticeable on chargers. Oh well, at least I know about it now.

TRios Zen

From the Epic Games community page:

This weekend we “Get Gnashty” in the Stranded playlist. The load out will be Gnasher and Snub only. The Snub is loaded with just one shot capable of popping heads, so aim carefully!

I might try this one - I have really come to enjoy TDM, and that is the playlist I gravitate towards, but I've played a few of the weekend playlist, and this one sounds like it might be fun. Get my wallbouncing/shotgun skills a workout.

Gr1mLock

Passing metallic gas
There really seems to be zero reason why anyone even mildly competitive would chose anything other than the lancer as their rifle. Watching hypefestation was a pretty big eye opener in that respect.

Brolic Gaoler

formerly Alienshogun
There really seems to be zero reason why anyone even mildly competitive would chose anything other than the lancer as their rifle. Watching hypefestation was a pretty big eye opener in that respect.

Hype was lancer only.

Also, HB did get a damage buff. That thing can down you in the blink of an eye.

RSTEIN

what are you referring to? A video? Do you have a link?

(I'm joining the lancer party now!)

Gr1mLock

Passing metallic gas
Without a doubt. Get caught in the open against a HB user with a quick trigger finger (or mod) and you are done for, period.

Im getting accused almost every session of using a modded controller, which is funny to me cause id say I'm slightly above mediocre with it. I haven't noticed any difference with it at all (however i did no testing).

TRios Zen

Im getting accused almost every session of using a modded controller, which is funny to me cause id say I'm slightly above mediocre with it. I haven't noticed any difference with it at all (however i did no testing).

There are two times I wonder about someone having a modded controller:

1) When that is the only weapon they ever seem to use and there is never the slightest variation in it's speed, OR
2) When a whole team is using them and each one of them apparently have the quickest trigger fingers ever.

Though I don't go around screaming "modded!" at folks I don't know on Gears. If I think their is BS going on, I just back out and find another room.

Dad, why are you so cruel?

By the way, I'm running for the boltok every round just to piss you off.
Shit, if you do that I'm gonna be completely lost on Mercy, Overpass, and Thrashball. So I guess I'll follow you around and get all my kills back that were stolen by you last night!

Gr1mLock

Passing metallic gas
There are two times I wonder about someone having a modded controller:

1) When that is the only weapon they ever seem to use and there is never the slightest variation in it's speed, OR
2) When a whole team is using them and each one of them apparently have the quickest trigger fingers ever.

Though I don't go around screaming "modded!" at folks I don't know on Gears. If I think their is BS going on, I just back out and find another room.

Im pretty sure there's a 'cap' on how fast you can shoot the hammy to avoid that exact scenario. There's definitely kind of an optimal 'rhythm' to shooting it at its highest speed. I liked it how it was in the last TU. Hell i loved it in the beta. Wish it they just left it alone. I just can't use the lancer anymore. I feel dirty whenever i have to pick one up cause I'm out of ammo.

RSTEIN

Shit, if you do that I'm gonna be completely lost on Mercy, Overpass, and Thrashball. So I guess I'll follow you around and get all my kills back that were stolen by you last night!

Let me address these accusations you have made against me.

First, I never meant to steal a kill from you. Not once did I think to myself, "that kill is not mine but I'm going to take it anyway."

My kill stealing was due soley to my switch from the retro to the lancer. Obviously the retro is very weak from long distance and the clip is short. So before when I was shooting an opponent and someone else would down him, the bullets fired by me after the down would not do enough damage to finish off the kill. So I didn't think much about when to stop firing after someone else got the down. If I let a few bullets trickle out, no big deal.

Now, with the lancer, if I let a few more bullets go--as I did with the retro--I have the firepower to potentially kill a DBNO opponent.

So I just have to get used to wielding a more powerful weapon.

Which is exactly what your girlfriend told me last night when she was blowing me and I told her to suck a bit harder.

Grisby

The scorcher is a beast. A beast I tells yous!

Also, I got to play Anvil and Escalation once each after playing the other maps at least 15 something times. Yay.

Montresor

The newest DLC has done almost nothing for me other than give me achievements for beating 50 waves on academy. I also slaved through a retarded exploit to get myself from level 89 to level 100 just for an ACHIEVEMENT.

But where is the actual FUCKING value that I paid for? I NEVER see the maps online. And I never get the new maps when doing horde or beast matchmaking.

DLC #1 wasn't an incredible value, but it did get me playing the game a shitload. I had tons of fun playing on Blood Drive horde and levelling up my turrets + silverback. DLC#2 was damn near exquisite. Raam's Shadow was better than the on-disc single player. But I'm really peeved that I whenever I do any sort of matchmaking (online KOTH, Horde, or Beast), I never see any of the new maps.

Brolic Gaoler

formerly Alienshogun
The newest DLC has done almost nothing for me other than give me achievements for beating 50 waves on academy. I also slaved through a retarded exploit to get myself from level 89 to level 100 just for an ACHIEVEMENT.

But where is the actual FUCKING value that I paid for? I NEVER see the maps online. And I never get the new maps when doing horde or beast matchmaking.

DLC #1 wasn't an incredible value, but it did get me playing the game a shitload. I had tons of fun playing on Blood Drive horde and levelling up my turrets + silverback. DLC#2 was damn near exquisite. Raam's Shadow was better than the on-disc single player. But I'm really peeved that I whenever I do any sort of matchmaking (online KOTH, Horde, or Beast), I never see any of the new maps.

Which exploit did you use now? Big money or 3-1?

Skilotonn

xbot xbot xbot xbot xbot

New maps are like finding a blue moon in Quick Match, but in Ranked you usually get 2 out of the 3 choices as new maps - they really need to fix the rotation to make them show up more in QM - I've only ever seen Anvil and maybe Academy in QM.

Dosia

New DLC was a waste of money so far. Hey Epic, put the god damn maps into the social rotation please. Out of probably 30 matches I have played Anvil twice and escalation once. I don't even know what the names are of the other maps. Played overpass 3 times last night and it was pure shit. Every game is the same on that map, camp fest up top.

Brolic Gaoler

formerly Alienshogun
Well, I'm off to MW3 until this shit is straightened out.

I've been updated a full second after the guy's been blown to bits 3 times now. I figure that's my good deed for the day.

Gr1mLock

Passing metallic gas
Well, I'm off to MW3 until this shit is straightened out.

I've been updated a full second after the guy's been blown to bits 3 times now. I figure that's my good deed for the day.

I played a few games last night where the host had nearly gears 1 levels of immortality. Funniest display of the BS was when the host was on my team and was the last one out on slab. Had the boom. Shot next to someone behind cover who clearly rolled out of the way, even ran for half a second and then just collapsed into chunks. Good times. So were there any actual changes to the game or was all of this just severs being down?

God. The more I play, the more grating the terrible map rotation becomes. Every shitty thing that happens is exacerbated ten-fold. Fucking Anvil; over and over and over again, with the others being 100% MIA.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom