• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gears of War 3 |OT| BROTHERS TO THE END

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kibbles

Well shit, after a long horde session last night with my friend on split screen we call it quits and eveything seems good. I come back today to turn on my TV and got the cog symbol on the top and bottom half burned in on my 50" Plasma :( I didn't even notice or pay attention to any possible image retention hud elements, as I thought modern games would have measures against that. :

mernst23

Got onyx medals 45 and 46 yesterday (TDM Matches and Buttoned Up Ribbons)

Curbstomps (450 to go), Ready for Heavies (Beast) (24 to go), KOTH Matches, and Onyx all 6 gametypes should bring me to 50 by the end of this week.

Finally my poor xbox will get to get turned off again when i'm not playing soon instead of chugging away at playing matches.

Brakara

God. The more I play, the more grating the terrible map rotation becomes. Every shitty thing that happens is exacerbated ten-fold. Fucking Anvil; over and over and over again, with the others being 100% MIA.

Anvil was the only new map that showed up in QM all the time I played last week. I mean, I actually like Anvil on KOTH, but this is getting ridiculous.

Anvil has a very Star Wars feel to me. It reminds me of Tatooine.
Using the new Locust skin (with the sack/bandages on his head), I feel like one of the Sand People.
I like Anvil.

Grisby

God. The more I play, the more grating the terrible map rotation becomes. Every shitty thing that happens is exacerbated ten-fold. Fucking Anvil; over and over and over again, with the others being 100% MIA.
Yeah, Anvil is showing up more and Escalation comes once in a blue moon. I forgot what the other maps were even called because I haven't seen them. This is something that could so easily be fixed it's nuts.

TRios Zen

Yeah, Anvil is showing up more and Escalation comes once in a blue moon. I forgot what the other maps were even called because I haven't seen them. This is something that could so easily be fixed it's nuts.

I'm pretty sure I've played at least one match a night, every night since Fenix Rising released, and I have not played "escalation" at all, and have only played "Depths" (whatever) and "Academy" once each (ranked matches, neither have ever come up in Quick Match). I've played "The Slab" twice that I can recall, and "Anvil", maybe 5-6 times.

Yet EVERY SINGLE NIGHT I've played Rustlung, Overpass and Blood Drive at least once if not more frequently. Come on; if those can consistently come up in the Quick Match Rotation, why can't the Fenix Rising maps?

Now that I'm thinking about it though, why not just strike Overpass from the MP rotation completely. Great for horde for EXACTLY THE SAME REASONS it sucks for MP.

Gr1mLock

Passing metallic gas

i have never even seen it in the voting menu

alexel

I've played a shitload of ranked since DLC release, have yet to see Escalation

Thanks, CliffyB

Ahh, for once we're actually thanking him without being sarcastic. If they had to remake a terrible map like Escalation, it was the least they could do to not let us ever play it.

Computron

I saw a lot of Escalation in the Get Gnasty playlist that was up the past few days.
They seem to be painting the map with light which doesn't really go well with the Gears art style.
The spawn switching on the map is not so great, although I do know if its possible to remedy that given the map layout.

I was expecting a map like the Kryll-Storm maps in Raam's shadow, but that's probably next DLC.
Bullet Marsh just isn't doing it for me, I want to see the map slowly get engulfed in kryll and push all the fighting indoors.

Also, I found the most hilarious glitch.
If you empty out your Lancer and mash the meelee button, your gun will continuously spawn empty magazines/bullet-casings.
They spawn as fast as you mash the button. I kinda wish I had rapid-fire, just for this.
I got like 300 of them on screen during a matchmaking game before it started to slow down.

I saw a lot of Escalation in the Get Gnasty playlist that was up the past few days.
They seem to be painting the map with light which doesn't really go well with the Gears art style.
The spawn switching on the map is not so great, although I do know if its possible to remedy that given the map layout.

I was expecting a map like the Kryll-Storm maps in Raam's shadow, but that's probably next DLC.
Bullet Marsh just isn't doing it for me, I want to see the map slowly get engulfed in kryll and push all the fighting indoors.

Also, I found the most hilarious glitch.
If you empty out your Lancer and mash the meelee button, your gun will continuously spawn empty magazines/bullet-casings.
They spawn as fast as you mash the button. I kinda wish I had rapid-fire, just for this.
I got like 300 of them on screen during a matchmaking game before it started to slow down.
lol, do you have a video of that?
what a ridiculous oversight

Is it an alphabetical thing? Does the game just randomly razz up and shout, "DLC TIME, DAWG!", only to be like, "WELL, THAT'S ENOUGH OF THAT; BACK TO THE OLD SHIT. OOH, OVERPASS LOOKS GOOD..." after one round of Anvil?

Uber.

Frustrating.

Lunchbox

Banned
I dont, but I looked on Youtube and it looks like somebody else found it as well: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S1x7U1gKEQA

The way they do it in the video requires you to also press reload everytime because the gun is not unloaded completely.

(Does GAF allow embedding?)

sick, so now when we are gang humping the last guy, 3 guys can kick and smoke hump and the other can do that so it looks like youre taking a shit on their chest

Computron

sick, so now when we are gang humping the last guy, 3 guys can kick and smoke hump and the other can do that so it looks like youre taking a shit on their chest

My thoughts exactly.

What, you thought all those gears were grunting for nothing? There is a reason Gears of War sounds like 10 guys taking massive shits.

also, how do you smoke hump?

Lunchbox

Banned
My thoughts exactly.

What, you thought all those gears were grunting for nothing?

also, how do you smoke hump?

spin the grenade and move back and forth so it looks like youre twirling a key chain while doing it, then tag them as they get up so they get down trying to run away so your teammate can do it with his smoke

finally got around to playing this. im on act 3 and im having a blast as usual

one thing though, and i dunno if its me or not. anyone else had texture streaming/graphics problems with gears? the first 2 acts looked absolutely jaw dropping, but when you first get to anvil gate (i think?) and marcus is having that conversation with that colonel guy in the car, for some reason the textures i guess failed to load or something. it looked completely abysmal.

i looked at a few youtube videos in HD at those parts and my game doesnt look anywhere as good as those videos. i still have a 5 year old 360..could that be the problem? all of act 3 looks subpar and sometimes the character models look blockier than normal. i mean it still looks good but its definitely not as good as the first 2 acts. i reset the console a few times and im still getting somewhat muddy textures and lower framerates.

maybe im just going nuts? im playing for too long and i should give it a break?

Grisby

i have never even seen it in the voting menu
I mostly stick with TDM unranked and KOTH. Anvil shows up occasionally in TDM and I've played Escalation in KOTH probably less then 5 times. Since the map pack I've probably out in a good 2hrs every night or so. Depths is such a beautiful map as is Academy (checked them out offline with bots) that I'd love to play on them for realz.

one thing though, and i dunno if its me or not. anyone else had texture streaming/graphics problems with gears? the first 2 acts looked absolutely jaw dropping, but when you first get to anvil gate (i think?) and marcus is having that conversation with that colonel guy in the car, for some reason the textures i guess failed to load or something. it looked completely abysmal.

i looked at a few youtube videos in HD at those parts and my game doesn't look anywhere as good as those videos. i still have a 5 year old 360..could that be the problem? all of act 3 looks subpar and sometimes the character models look blockier than normal. i mean it still looks good but its definitely not as good as the first 2 acts. i reset the console a few times and im still getting somewhat muddy textures and lower framerates.

I had the texture streaming problem at the exact area you mentioned and other random areas. I've played through the campaign 3 times now and had it happen twice while Marcus's face was normal once. Some chapters seemed to run worse for me too and other times it was fine. I think its just the Unreal engine freaking out in some circumstances. All on a Slim btw, sometimes installed and sometimes not.

deviant1

I've only seen Anvil show up twice in TDM quick match, I've yet to see any of the other Fenix Rising maps online since it launched. I just played 25+ matches in a row and saw Anvil once and the rest all old maps including Overpass 3x and Sandbar 2x. WTF, how can Epic fuck up so bad on something as simple as map rotation. Here's an idea, create about 10 different map playlists including all of the maps (minus Overpass) and randomly select one when the lobby starts.

I think I'm done playing this game online until the next DLC comes.

I had the texture streaming problem at the exact area you mentioned and other random areas. I've played through the campaign 3 times now and had it happen twice while Marcus's face was normal once. Some chapters seemed to run worse for me too and other times it was fine. I think its just the Unreal engine freaking out in some circumstances. All on a Slim btw, sometimes installed and sometimes not.

ah, i see. im gonna replay this again later in a harder difficulty so i hope i dont encounter it as severely.

maybe the outdoor levels arent supposed to look as good as the indoor/low lighting ones with as there are lots more stuff happening? i just got to act 4 and i was like "yep, this is the gears i know and love" :D

Grisby

ah, i see. im gonna replay this again later in a harder difficulty so i hope i dont encounter it as severely.

maybe the outdoor levels arent supposed to look as good as the indoor/low lighting ones with as there are lots more stuff happening? i just got to act 4 and i was like "yep, this is the gears i know and love" :D
Well, when more stuff popped on screen the FPS definitely took a hit. I think it's that combined with the new lighting engine. I thought the game looked pretty damn good throughout besides some performance issues although I can see what you mean by mentioning Act 4 (Dat destroyed beauty).

OrangeOak

i looked at a few youtube videos in HD at those parts and my game doesnt look anywhere as good as those videos. i still have a 5 year old 360..could that be the problem? all of act 3 looks subpar and sometimes the character models look blockier than normal. i mean it still looks good but its definitely not as good as the first 2 acts. i reset the console a few times and im still getting somewhat muddy textures and lower framerates.

This is first Gears game where I didn't noticed any major texture pop in,even if there is some it's not as bad as you described it.
Framerate is also very stable plus there is great object motion blur which makes game feel smoother than previous Gears.Game stutters during checkpoints though.
Are you playing it from DVD or HDD ?

Well, when more stuff popped on screen the FPS definitely took a hit. I think it's that combined with the new lighting engine. I thought the game looked pretty damn good throughout besides some performance issues although I can see what you mean by mentioning Act 4 (Dat destroyed beauty).

ah i didnt know about that. the lighting is really excellent. whenever theres any shade, i like keeping fenix halfway inside and halfway out to see how the light affects his model. its awesome.

This is first Gears game where I didn't noticed any major texture pop in,even if there is some it's not as bad as you described it.
Framerate is also very stable plus there is great object motion blur which makes game feel smoother than previous Gears.Game stutters during checkpoints though.
Are you playing it from DVD or HDD ?

hmm, im not really sure. my lil bro played it before me so im not sure if he installed it or not. i just popped it in and started playing. is there any way to find out? i mean the disc is inside the xbox if that means anything. would there be a performance boost if it was installed?

the motion blur is incredible. the way enemies jump over obstacles so smoothly to come at you is always great to see, especially those little lambent spider dudes

JambiBum

Oh god. Listening to the ActiveReload podcast on Twitch.tv is just making me rage so hard. As good as my normal crew is this shit just makes me realize why we stay away from mlg and the like. Talking about how horrible the hammerburst is. How they don't allow the use of other rifles besides the lancer. One dude brings up how they should bring back the active sniper downs. How you can't make "plays" now when you are down because of the rifles when you are outnumbered. Well no shit. You are outnumbered. A good team shouldn't allow one guy to destroy them. I just can't even comprehend this shit right now.

Oh god. Listening to the ActiveReload podcast on Twitch.tv is just making me rage so hard. As good as my normal crew is this shit just makes me realize why we stay away from mlg and the like. Talking about how horrible the hammerburst is. How they don't allow the use of other rifles besides the lancer. One dude brings up how they should bring back the active sniper downs. How you can't make "plays" now when you are down because of the rifles when you are outnumbered. Well no shit. You are outnumbered. A good team shouldn't allow one guy to destroy them. I just can't even comprehend this shit right now.

Gears in MLG has always has a problem with stalemates. That's why the HB was banned in Gears 2 and probably why they are worried about overpowered rifles in Gears 3. When that shit's too good, nobody moves.

JambiBum

Gears in MLG has always has a problem with stalemates. That's why the HB was banned in Gears 2 and probably why they are worried about overpowered rifles in Gears 3. When that shit's too good, nobody moves.

Banning weapons that everyone has access to is the dumbest shit I have ever heard. I don't even use the hammerburst. I use the lancer and that shit is just stupid. Use the cover to move forward. Cover is everywhere. The only time a rifle is a problem is when you are out in the open.

Banning weapons that everyone has access to is the dumbest shit I have ever heard. I don't even use the hammerburst. I use the lancer and that shit is just stupid. Use the cover to move forward. Cover is everywhere. The only time a rifle is a problem is when you are out in the open.

People play differently when there is money on the line.

Brakara

The only time a rifle is a problem is when you are out in the open.

The problem (for them) isn't "a rifle" though, it's "rifles". Not sure why you find this so rage inducing though. I mean, it's not like they haven't tried playing with Hammerbursts. They did, and found it impossible to move (when playing against top tier teams), and thus banned it from competitive play. Why is that a big deal for you?

OrangeOak

hmm, im not really sure. my lil bro played it before me so im not sure if he installed it or not. i just popped it in and started playing. is there any way to find out? i mean the disc is inside the xbox if that means anything. would there be a performance boost if it was installed?

the motion blur is incredible. the way enemies jump over obstacles so smoothly to come at you is always great to see, especially those little lambent spider dudes

You can always check if there is 7GB Gears of War file on your HDD and yes, it should help with texture streaming.

Gr1mLock

Passing metallic gas
People play differently when there is money on the line.

I don't have enough familiarity with high end competitive gears to really make an informed opinion, but my half assed opinion is that game design should dictate the pace of the play, not superficial rules. Just man up and deal with it. We didn't ban ban phoenix in tournament play right? Hearing some of the pros complaining about the hammerburst is so sad. In addition removing the stoping power from two rifles and not the third is also sad. We had people complaining they can't gnasher rush when the game first came out, to which cliffy retorted 'gears is no longer a 2 gun game' and only to fold a few months down the line? And Id consider myself a gears 1 player but i was actually getting to like that there were weapons in the game that had a use other than just being novelties for when you get bored of the useful weapons.

Now that I am playing gears on my new Vizio tv instead of my standard pos tv, it is not smooth at all. The movement is terrible compared to my standard tv. I'm not familiar at all with anything of this nature, is there anyway to fix the lag on an hd tv, so that the movement is at least somewhat more smooth and fluid?

TRios Zen

I don't have enough familiarity with high end competitive gears to really make an informed opinion, but my half assed opinion is that game design should dictate the pace of the play, not superficial rules. Just man up and deal with it. We didn't ban ban phoenix in tournament play right? Hearing some of the pros complaining about the hammerburst is so sad. In addition removing the stoping power from two rifles and not the third is also sad. We had people complaining they can't gnasher rush when the game first came out, to which cliffy retorted 'gears is no longer a 2 gun game' and only to fold a few months down the line? And Id consider myself a gears 1 player but i was actually getting to like that there were weapons in the game that had a use other than just being novelties for when you get bored of the useful weapons.

Hammerburst is a freaking beast in the hands of someone with quick trigger fingers - you pop out of cover for a second, against someone like that, and you are down. Add that to the range and accuracy that the HB provides and I can see how a team of good HB users could dominate whole sections of maps.

I think the rifles as they currently exist have their place in this game and I will carry any one of them based upon the situation. IMO however, if Gears 3 devolved into a HB only camp-fest (or any rifle camp-fest) you would lose the visceral close-quarter-combat exchanges that have so defined all that is right and beautiful about this game.

Hell the reason I hate Overpass as a map is because tactically the best thing to do is secure the top, then lancer the piss out of any group trying climb the hill. Strategically this makes sense; game-play wise, it's boring as hell. Give me some up close wet-work with the gnasher any day. I'll bitch about lag, or bitch that I missed a shot, but would still have more fun then playing whack-a-mole with my lancer.

Now that I am playing gears on my new Vizio tv instead of my standard pos tv, it is not smooth at all. The movement is terrible compared to my standard tv. I'm not familiar at all with anything of this nature, is there anyway to fix the lag on an hd tv, so that the movement is at least somewhat more smooth and fluid?
Does your TV have a Game mode? If it does, try that. Game modes typically turn off all extra features, such as edge enhancement or noise reduction. These sorts of things add extra information that your display needs to process which in turn adds more input lag. If your TV doesn't have a Game mode then try turning off any extra features like that manually. If that still doesn't help then try a different TV. Some HDTVs just have worse input lag than others.

deviant1

Hey look, Escalation showed up in a TDM quick match. Nice to see another new map finally make an appearance, too bad it's just as awful as it was in Gears 1.

Is Epic even bothering with servers anymore? It amazes me how great this game was at launch and now with way less people playing it's borderline unplayable. My shotgun continues to do nothing while I get 1 shot downed or gibbed like crazy. Fuck this game.

Lima

Wow this new horde ribbon boosting thing is awesome. I just got to level 100 a second time while watching some movies.
That is some serious shit right there. Makes we wonder how people actually find out about this stuff.

D4Danger

Unconfirmed Member

welcome to the world of 30fps console gaming. enjoy your stay.

how do people even find this stuff? lol. It's so stupid.

so they should just adapt to something that is boring and slow and a complete turnoff to watch?

Ballistik

Sure is popular.

ozunE.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom