• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gears of War 3 |OT| BROTHERS TO THE END

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jhoan

MrCompletely said:
Also thinking about going, and I actually pre ordered at the Best Buy on Columbus Circle, which is not doing a midnight opening, and there's no information on how pre-orders are treated at this event.

There's a Best Buy on Columbus Circle? I didn't know that. If anybody read my post, I said I was planning on going but I'm not too sure because I have a $20 coupon for K-Mart. However, if people are planning on going let me know so we could arrange a meet up. I don't know if I'm gonna miss class for that however since I have class from 11:10-6:40.

see5harp

Ballistik said:
I wonder what the probability is of the multiplayer screwing up on launch day with the amount of people trying to play. I'm assuming that there's a limit on the dedicated servers, and it'll switch to P2P for newer matches to avoid any kind of meltdown or something.

I think it's likely. I think for the first week or so I'll just concentrate on finishing the campaign solo and maybe get into a bit of Horde. Even if it's P2P, I'm confident more people will tolerate a little lag with the smoother animations and friendlier to noob respawn modes.

MjFrancis

Seeing the OT posted up has me hyped! I've never, ever taken a day off of work just to play a video game, but I'm putting everything else on pause to play Gears of War 3. It will be eight hours of vacation well spent.

I'll drive through the campaign before checking out the MP. Should be a blast.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
_dementia said:
If it's like the previous two games, it'll be an unlock.
Gonna co-op it through the first time hardcore first and then again on insane again.

Not sure if anyone else really cares but I'm interested in where they take the art direction this time around in the campaign. Looks like they're really going for that overgrown and ruined kind of look, but I'm interested in what the variety in environments will be. Hopefully less caves. Game gets a lot of shit for being grey/brown but it's actually some of the best art direction this gen, from the architecture to the weapons (esp. the gnasher)

I also wonder what the annoying vehicle segment is this time around too (least favourite parts of the last two campaigns).

h3ro

Are there two separate Gold skins for weapons?

I still have my OG Gold skins for the Lancer and HB from Gears 2 and saw that those will carry over to Gears 3. That skin was pure gold color on the entirety of the weapon. We just learned that those that play during the first week post launch will also unlock a gold skin. The skin as it's shown is black with gold accents.

Is my all gold HB gone forever?

Plasmid

CliffyB said:
Longer. And lovely OT.

We've been christened!

champagne-popping.jpg

U2NUMB said:
Man I just found out about these.. if you use Kontrol Freek (Which I do and Love) this might be interesting to you.

I will buy these and place them on my Gears 3 limited controller!

http://www.kontrolfreek.com/FPS/KontrolFreek-FPS-Freek-EPIC.asp

kfgears.jpg

Also, bought, thanks :D.

Stat Flow

He gonna cry in the car
One more question: Anything carrying over from Gears 2 achievements?
-PXG- said:
Retro has a shit load of kick back. SOS/DBS doesn't down you anymore. It either kills you, or does damage. I think they lowered the amount of damage the Lancer does, not sure though. I think they decreased headshot damage for the HB. Gnasher is the same.
Good. Good. Maybe good. Don't use HB much.

Gnasher is the same? YES YES YES YES.

MjFrancis

I love the original Gears campaign. It has a unified aesthetic that's like Epic's take on a third-person horror game. Short enough for an adult to play in an evening. And trim enough to be worth playing again and again and again. Longer games usually have more fat, more filler, ergo are less satisfying for subsequent playthroughs.

And I'll be damned if it didn't take a good four playthroughs until my heart stopped pounding at every appearance of a Berserker. :p

Jipan said:
There's a Best Buy on Columbus Circle? I didn't know that. If anybody read my post, I said I was planning on going but I'm not too sure because I have a $20 coupon for K-Mart. However, if people are planning on going let me know so we could arrange a meet up. I don't know if I'm gonna miss class for that however since I have class from 11:10-6:40.

Just north of Columbus Circle on 62nd abd Bway; they had a lot of signage about the event, but nobody knew a god damn thing about it. In fact, the people there are so clueless that I heard a BB employee tell a customer that they were out of stock on the 360 version of the new God of War game.

DjangoReinhardt

Thinks he should have been the one to kill Batman's parents.
I pray this game is more like the first than the second, but I don't think that's going to be the case. Hopefully, Horde will improve in the right ways.

Plasmid

-PXG- said:
Gears 3 GAF = 12 spots left

Gears 3 GAF dos = 20 spots left

Gears 3 GAF tri = 60 spots left

If i'm still on the original gears 3 gaf disregard this, if i'm not, PUT ME ON BROTHA.

Auto_aim1

MeisaMcCaffrey
DjangoReinhardt said:
I pray this game is more like the first than the second, but I don't think that's going to be the case. Hopefully, Horde will improve in the right ways.
It's much better than both and Horde 2.0 looks really promising as well.

-PXG-

Plasmid said:
If i'm still on the original gears 3 gaf disregard this, if i'm not, PUT ME ON BROTHA.

Add yourself. Just click on the images and you're good to go :)

Oh, the replica Retro Lancers are street dated. They should be arriving in stores today. We still don't know if you get 20 bucks off if you buy with the game in-store. As of right now though, it's online only.

I have one on pre-order. I want it NOW! Might hang it on my wall, along with my replica Lancer.

Jhoan

MrCompletely said:
Just north of Columbus Circle on 62nd abd Bway; they had a lot of signage about the event, but nobody knew a god damn thing about it. In fact, the people there are so clueless that I heard a BB employee tell a customer that they were out of stock on the 360 version of the new God of War game.

Ohh that one. I've known about that one for the longest. I thought you meant that there was one inside Time Warner Center, although that wouldn't make sense because otherwise, I would have known about it. Lmao! Every time I go in there I never hear these things. I like going to the one that's in Union Square.

Nice job on the OT.

This game is seriously going to eat into my holiday gaming budget. I'm picking up a new Xbox 360 Slim 250GB (currently have an Elite but sold my second 360 Premium some time ago) so the wife can play coop and multiplayer on the Elite (split screen sucks), getting two copies of the game (one of them limited edition or epic edition depending on Amazon stock), and upgrading my connection from 20M/2M to 50M/5M @ $114 / month which I have been meaning to do since they introduced this tier. Arghhh.. but it will be worth it.

Added the first Gears GAF tag. Ready for Sept. 20th! Fuck yeah!

Gig

One man's junk is another man's treasure
Good job on the thread PXG.

I'm so excited for that new Horde mode. I put hundreds of hours in the first Horde mode and it looks like I'll be putting in even more for Gears 3.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
By the way, any word on whether or not it will be possible to play CO-OP over LAN? I'm planning to play Gears 3 with a buddy of mine, but he does not want to join Live Gold again as this would be the only situation where he would conceivably need it. We're planning to play on two different machines each with our own display in the same room.

see5harp

dark10x said:
By the way, any word on whether or not it will be possible to play CO-OP over LAN? I'm planning to play Gears 3 with a buddy of mine, but he does not want to join Live Gold again as this would be the only situation where he would conceivably need it. We're planning to play on two different machines each with our own display in the same room.

Based on Gears 2, which had system link support I'd guess yes, but I'm not 100% sure.

see5harp

FINALBOSS said:
Man, the recoil on the retro lancer is out of this world. I liked when the guns were more laser-beamish like in GoW1.

They had to because of how cheap it was in Beta. You were almost guaranteed a down at close range just blind firing it.

LEGGZZZZ

Game just arrived, played a few matches online, probably mostly against reviewers/early copies since only 25 to 40 people were even online playing.

Number one, the gameplay is so satisfying, especially after coming from the horrendous multiplayer of gears 2. Makes me think back to when Gears 1 released, and I would play with my brother late into the night for hours. I definitely see that happening again. It's just so fast and smooth, loving the weapon balance as well.

Number two, the graphics. I'm not the most technically knowledgeable person on graphics, but I do own Uncharted 2, God of War 3, both Killzones, and have played the Uncharted 3 beta. As far as I'm concerned, gears is the best looking game on console, not just the 360. It may not have the best lighting out of all those games I mentioned (though it still looks amazing) or use MLAA/other graphical techniques those games use, but when you look at the entire package, and how everything looks, to how smooth everything runs, especially with the motion blur added, it looks absolutely stunning. And I'm talking only about the multiplayer, haven't even touched the campaign yet.

I honestly think I could just play gears and be satisfied with nothing else after just briefly playing for a hour, and a week ago I was anxious as hell to try out the BF3 beta. Not anymore, I'm feel completely content with this game, and I haven't felt/been able to say that since COD4/Gears 1 released. GET HYPED PEOPLE.

More impressions coming throughout the day/week when I get some more time with it, no spoilers of course.

Finally getting around to finishing Gears 2 for the first time and I'm absolutely loving it. I needed that reminder to go from hype 8 to hype 11.

XxCGSxX

I'm on Gears Gaf Dos but I want to be in the original, my gamertag is XxCGSxX request sent, please accept me and when I'm in I'll delete Dos. :D

icespide

Banned
I tried to go back and play gears 1 and 2 to get even more hyped for this but Gears 1 hasn't aged well, then I picked up Space Marine so I don't have time to jump into Gears 2

pr0cs

Can't wait!
I have been trying to go through my backlog and knock a few games off the list but am struggling because I know Gears3 is out so soon.
To me Gears is the game of this generation, I put so many hours into Horde and the Campaigns of the previous games I know I'll do the same for 3.
Now to finish reading Coalition's End before next week.

WHO WANTS TOAST!?!

Damn, can't wait for next week! The original Gears is solely responsible for getting my wife into gaming! We now have two 360s solely for co-op gaming and I'm buying two copies of the SE to go with them.

Can't wait for campaign & horde! And seriously, if Epic kills Carmine, I'll be pissed.

Jrmint

I see I'm supposed to add myself but I'm at work and can't here :(.

Really dont want to miss out could you add me? GT: Marksman82

-PXG-

Jrmint said:
Could I get added please?

GT: Marksman82

Add yourself. Tags are in the OP. Only add yourself to ONE of them. Not two and definitely not all three. ONE!

Deadstar said:
You should add the Adam Fenix skin for the console edition.

I'm adding a complete list of skins and how to get them, later.

Ballistik

-PXG- said:
Add yourself. Tags are in the OP. Only add yourself to ONE of them. Not two and definitely not all three. ONE!

I'm adding a complete list of skins and how to get them, later.
Hey I just figured out something you can do so people have access to all 3 tags and 297 people. If you leave one spot open in every tag, people can send a friend request to all 3 tags, and as long as it's pending, it still lets you see the friend list. (Since it's not a friend's friend list.)

I tested it right now by sending one to the second tag, and sure enough, it gives you access to see everyone on it. It's helpful for people that want to have more people.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom