• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gears of War 3 |OT| BROTHERS TO THE END

Status
Not open for further replies.

ShogunX

Great Op dude and really cant wait to get my hands on this game. Just seen the new advert during the Champions League half time break and it was pretty good. Another qualitysong choice to fit the mood.

h3ro

gatotsu911 said:
Thread title should be updated to read "BROS TO THE END". (Or "dudebros to the end"?)
OBjDJ.gif

ShogunX

Xamdou said:
Still pissed off that they gimped the retro lancer, Gears 3 is going to be another shotgun fest like Gears 2.

Wouldn't be Gears without the CQC shotgun battles. It's the reason a lot of the kills are so personal and gives GOW the edge when it comes to kill satisfaction.

Xamdou said:
Still pissed off that they gimped the retro lancer, Gears 3 is going to be another shotgun fest like Gears 2.

Agreed. I had absolutely no issue with the Retro in the beta. The SOS was, by far, the biggest issue weapon balance wise with the ridiculous spread on that thing. No reason to gimp the Retro because people charging in with Shottys were complaining about the same thing they were about to do with the Shotty o___0

Xamdou

Shogun PaiN said:
Wouldn't be Gears without the CQC shotgun battles. It's the reason a lot of the kills are so personal and gives GOW the edge when it comes to kill satisfaction.

I understand that but the retro lancer gives players an good close/mid range alternate weapon to use rather than the shotgun. During the beta I didn't even use the shotgun, all my kills were from the retro lancer. It was my new favorite weapon and now they nerfed it by adding insane recoil on it.

OdysseusVA said:
Just use the SOS :p

I hate the SOS more than the shotgun, they should have gimped that instead the retro.

Net_Wrecker said:
Agreed. I had absolutely no issue with the Retro in the beta. The SOS was, by far, the biggest issue weapon balance wise with the ridiculous spread on that thing. No reason to gimp the Retro because people charging in with Shottys were complaining about the same thing they were about to do with the Shotty o___0

Both were shit and broke the balance. We still have to see if the SOS was fixed, and how.

Retro is still far from useless, don't worry.

-PXG- said:
I was getting x25 EXP early, now I'm not. Either Epic dun goofed or I'm just joining rooms that started before Epic activated the EXP bonus.
Same here. Last night I was getting extra (not sure if x20 or x25 though), but now I'm getting nothing.

Great OT, by the way.

kaizoku said:
everyone mentions the Ice-T unboxing but this one's better as you see the console for more than 2 seconds and you hear the sounds.

http://www.youtube.com/user/game#p/u/3/epbuAdVbgps
Aww I was really hoping that one of the customizable sounds would be Cole doing his signature "whoo!". Or at least the Lancer chainsaw sound. But those sounds are nice as well!

I'm really bummed that I can't afford it right now, but hopefully it will be available for a while.

Gr1mLock

Passing metallic gas
Net_Wrecker said:

Wat? Hipfire retro was like 45 shotguns duct taped together. No reason in the world why that weapon should be more powerful up close than every weapon built for close combat combined.

ShogunX

Xamdou said:
I understand that but the retro lancer gives players an good close/mid range alternate weapon to use rather than the shotgun. During the beta I didn't even use the shotgun, all my kills were from the retro lancer. It was my new favorite weapon and now they nerfed it by adding insane recoil on it.

Cant deny that I'm actually a little glad they did add more recoil to the gun just to stop the spray and pray that took place in close quarters. I know people liked the gun as a counter to the shotgun and I received a lot of angry messages from other players when I spayed the weapon myself but I think nerfing it a little is for the best. Seemed to water the combat down a little.

Gr1mLock said:
Wat? Hipfire retro was like 45 shotguns duct taped together. No reason in the world why that weapon should be more powerful up close than every weapon built for close combat combined.

The Gnasher hip fired in the range that you're talking about was still the most used weapon in the beta. Gimping the most unique feature of the Retro, which is that it's a rifle but good in close quarters, just places it in a zone now where it's merely "OK" in CQC and worthless everywhere else. All that does is ensure that the wallboucing maniacs will trample people whereas before the Retro could maybe stop them.

Net_Wrecker said:
The Gnasher hip fired in the range that you're talking about was still the most used weapon in the beta. Gimping the most unique feature of the Retro, which is that it's a rifle but good in close quarters, just places it in a zone now where it's merely "OK" in CQC and worthless everywhere else. All that does is ensure that the wallboucing maniacs will trample people whereas before the Retro could maybe stop them.
The retro was very effective at mid-range.

shichishito said:
The retro was very effective at mid-range.

It was "alright" in mid range. But keep in mind that "mid range" in Gears doesn't last very long at all. With the added recoil in the retail Retro, you'll have to control your bursts even more, which leads to being more careful in a game where you don't have much time to be careful because the Gnasher wallbouncing freaks are getting in your ass. I'm just disappointed that they kinda gimped a weapon that was a well balanced way to help out the people that don't have Gnasher skills in a way that wasn't totally broken like the beta SOS.

XxCGSxX said:
I sent the friend request to Gears 3 Gaf. Not been accepted yet :'( am I not cool enough D:
All 3 tags are being handled by PXG, and I'm sure he still has to sort through and add a bunch of Tags and stuff.

Gr1mLock

Passing metallic gas
Net_Wrecker said:

Except that the firing rate and power in the effective range of the shotguns is easily trumped by hip fire retro. Saying that some people cant deal with wallbouncing cqc shotgun players isnt a good case for making a weapon which almost nullifies the entire shotgun class. In what other situations are shotguns strong aside from cqc based skirmishes involving the players skill in mobility?

kaizoku

I'm not as deluded as I make myself out to be
-PXG- said:
Gears 3 GAF (the first one) still has space. Fill that one up first.

I don't really understand how these tags work. Is it basically just an easy way for us to look at the tag's friend list and add a bunch of friends?

Or is there more to it than that?

RS4-

-PXG- said:

Sent a request to the first tag, from DokterrHouse

kaizoku said:
I don't really understand how these tags work. Is it basically just an easy way for us to look at the tag's friend list and add a bunch of friends?

When you're online, you can look at the GAF Gears frriends lists to see who's online so you can them them party/game invites, etc. instead of having to add everyone here to YOUR friends list.

Probably an easier way to explain it.

-PXG-

kaizoku said:

It allows you to have access to a lot of players without having to add them on your friend's list. With the tag, you now have (up to) 99 people all in one gamertag.

Every big MP 360 game has these sort of things here. Halo does, I'm sure CoD does, fighting games, ect.

Ballistik

kaizoku said:

Well you can add them, but the point is to send them invites to your lobby so you can roll in multiplayer with a full party. You're probably going to be receiving invites from people if you're on the tag as well.

AkuMifune

Banned
-PXG- said:

Friended. Played the hell out of the first two, and will be playing 3 a ton.

Less than 1 week to finish Dead Island. Gah.

Gr1mLock said:
Except that the firing rate and power in the effective range of the shotguns is easily trumped by hip fire retro. Saying that some people cant deal with wallbouncing cqc shotgun players isnt a good case for making a weapon which almost nullifies the entire shotgun class. In what other situations are shotguns strong aside from cqc based skirmishes involving the players skill in mobility?

The Retro in NO way nullified the entire shotgun class, that's a huge exaggeration. There was an outcry from people that wanted nothing more than Gnasher vs. Gnasher in CQC who were now being stopped straight up because the shotty rush was no longer working. In the case of the SOS it was completely justified because the spread on that thing was ridiculous and you could kill people without even aiming at them. The outcry for the Retro on the other hand was largely overblown IMO.

In any case, what happened happened, and I'm sure we'll adapt. I'm just hoping it doesn't devolve to Gnasher dancing 100% of the time.

kaizoku said:

Using the friends of friends feature, you'll be able to see other gaffers that are online, and invite them.

Jhoan

kaizoku said:

You add the tag, you look at the people who are on, then you invite them to your party/game. Simple as that. It's a universal tag. It's a typical thing here on GAF; there was a tag for Red Dead Redemption called GAF Read Not Dead. It's optional to send the people an FR provided they have space.

Lothars

Net_Wrecker said:
I'm sure we'll adapt. I'm just hoping it doesn't devolve to Gnasher dancing 100% of the time.
Agreed, that's the thing that hurt Gears in the past and I am just hoping that with the Retro and SOS, it makes a difference but I hope it's enough.

Gr1mLock

Passing metallic gas
Net_Wrecker said:
The Retro in NO way nullified the entire shotgun class, that's a huge exaggeration. There was an outcry from people that wanted nothing more than Gnasher vs. Gnasher in CQC who were now being stopped straight up because the shotty rush was no longer working. In the case of the SOS it was completely justified because the spread on that thing was ridiculous and you could kill people without even aiming at them. The outcry for the Retro on the other hand was largely overblown IMO.

In any case, what happened happened, and I'm sure we'll adapt. I'm just hoping it doesn't devolve to Gnasher dancing 100% of the time.

I agree about the latter. I'm not really arguing from the standpoint of not being able to deal with it more so than someone who used it and accidentally stumbled onto how good the retro really was. However this vid http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0tdnw-pR4GQ is what im talking about. Even if i wallbounce effectively the only thing that really has to be done to avoid you even dealing with me is wobbling around with hip fire. That kinda takes an element of finesse away don't you think.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom