• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gears of War 4 |OT| Still Epic

Dosia

Yep there is a lot of BS for sure. Do you roll solo or play with friends? Game is way more fun for me when partied up.

Started the campaign a while back and I wasn't really enjoying the first few levels. The robots are awful enemies and they're not fun to engage at all.

Also as much as I like the color in this game, it feels a little too saturated for Gears. Everything is just so bright and shiny and clean that it takes away from the classic "destroyed beauty" aesthetic of the past games. Its funny that back in the day I used to rag on it for being too "gritty" or for having the "brown filter" but I guess it took time to appreciate its art direction. Its still a really gorgeous game though.

Things got a lot more fun starting from Act III however. I'm motivated to see it through.

From Act 3 onwards, Gears of War 4 is excellent. The encounter design is up there with anything Epic ever dreamt up and the new enemies are lots of fun to fight.

g23

European pre-madonna
How's the PC MP community. I just bought the game on sale and tried doing some placement matches but couldn't find a match even though the timer said 1 min =(

I'm really digging this horde mode but whats with all the quitters? I rarely have a full team after rd 20. Are people more committed at harder difficulties? Is there a benefit to playing it harder?

I'm really digging this horde mode but whats with all the quitters? I rarely have a full team after rd 20. Are people more committed at harder difficulties? Is there a benefit to playing it harder?

It's because of the beat waves 1-20 bounties. People do their bounties and then leave.

TC needs to do more to encourage people to stay.

Finished the campaign. The last mission was fucking epic and incredibly fun. I just wish the game didn't end so abruptly.

Overall I thought this was a pretty good Gears game. The story sucked and the characters even more so but the gameplay and encounters and especially the new enemies were a joy to fight. Except the Snatchers, fuck them. The defense mission was a pain in the ass as I kept getting caught and the AI of my teammates were too stupid to get me out.

I did get a little tired of some of the stuff the campaign kept recycling. Windflares became less and less cool when you had to outrun them for the 6th time.

I would rate this game higher if the first half wasn't so boring and the characters werent so hatable. I mean one of the best moments in the game was seeing old ass Cold and Baird showing up. I hope the kids stop being a bunch of ungrateful shitheads in the next game.

From Act 3 onwards, Gears of War 4 is excellent. The encounter design is up there with anything Epic ever dreamt up and the new enemies are lots of fun to fight.

Yup. Loved Act 3 and onward.

bman94

Just finished the campaign.

fuck man you can't end like that. Still so many questions to be answered. Looking forward to the inevitable Gears 5.

d00d3n

I just played the first 1.5 levels. Quite disappointing to be honest. The game sold in the pre-release footage is not the game I am playing. No post-apocalyptic dark world with biological hazards, but a lot of ordinary soldiers and boring city corridors. I hate the clear mission structure with flashbacks, which also seems to differ from the "epic journey" thing in the e3 demo. I don't think I can invest any more of my time in the game at this point.

Theorry

I just played the first 1.5 levels. Quite disappointing to be honest. The game sold in the pre-release footage is not the game I am playing. No post-apocalyptic dark world with biological hazards, but a lot of ordinary soldiers and boring city corridors. I hate the clear mission structure with flashbacks, which also seems to differ from the "epic journey" thing in the e3 demo. I don't think I can invest any more of my time in the game at this point.

Its just the prologue. Of all what has happened and a little tutorial. All what you want with it being more dark will all come.

So you expected to jump right into the middle of the story. Okay.

If you stop, you'll miss out on some damn good levels.

Aspiring

So got the ink blue gears bundle for christmas and downloaded the game. Just a question though, how do i unlock the gears trilogy? I read it has to be redeemed by december 31 but so far i cant download them. The bundle had a download code for gears 4 if that matters.

Theorry

So got the ink blue gears bundle for christmas and downloaded the game. Just a question though, how do i unlock the gears trilogy? I read it has to be redeemed by december 31 but so far i cant download them. The bundle had a download code for gears 4 if that matters.

You will get them through xbox live messages. Can take some days.

I know two people have already responded to you, but I just want to add to their voices by saying, do not give up on the game yet.

Everything you want, you're about to get.

Shameless double post.

Sponging is rife in this game. The inconsistency is unreal. I've been playing Gears of War for 10 years and honestly, it doesn't feel like it's got any better.

Qwyjibo

I wasn't getting an answer in another thread so I figured I'd try it here:

Is the Gears of War Ultimate Edition (for PC) worth a buy (discounted right now) if I already own the regular version of GOW on Xbox thanks to the free codes that came with GOW4? I've only played 4 but now am looking to go back and play the previous ones.

On top of the obvious tech benefits of playing on PC, I read that there were some story additions?

Im saving up for UIR packs from now on. I have accepted that I will never get that Gingerbread Lancer. Even if I did, I wouldnt use it much anyway.
Now, I if I got a UIR skin, I'd use that a lot.

Laws00

I fucking hate you wrapping paper piece of shits, ugh

812504Composition40000000.jpg

Laws00

opened 2 crates....... festive J.D. and a wrapping paper weapon. I got them twice in a row..........HOW

i already had festive J.D. from a week ago.

I think these loot items are teaching everybody you cant always get what you want

My buddy and I are like an hour into the game. We started on Insane but when we were getting killed in the damn prologue, decided to turn it back to Hardcore.

Day 1 I was riddled with issues with my mic settings, I've never done chat on XB1 before and it was a new headset for me, so learning where to balance the mic/game mix, the levels of each, etc took me way too long.

Day 2 he was suffering from shit internet. we played for like 30 minutes before he had to quit due to being disconnected too often. we made no actual game progress, we were in the first Horde mode section of the campaign and kept dying to those damn flying drones with the shields. eff those guys!

I hate the guns so far. Shock SMG, Enforcer, Marzka, are all shit. The robot shotgun (can't remember the name, it does like burst shots) is awesome though.

AlStrong

I fucking hate you wrapping paper piece of shits, ugh

On a side note, I really don't understand their thought processes on the colour aesthetics. The deep red & green highlight at least look decent. There are certainly other colour combinations that would have been more pleasing to the eye.

Laws00

On a side note, I really don't understand their thought processes on the colour aesthetics. The deep red & green highlight at least look decent. There are certainly other colour combinations that would have been more pleasing to the eye.

I think red and green are suppose to be synonymous with Christmas or the holiday season.

I saved and saved and saved and bought my first UIR pack with in game credits. I got the regular/green female soldier, which Im pretty happy about. Hopefully next time I'll get one of the Legendary blue soldiers.

3 acts completed. The most boring, cliche and repetitive AAA game I maybe have ever played. I love the Gears franchise, but what coalition has done is basically satire of everything wrong with safe AAA games. I'm going to have to force myself to finish this shit

What a disappointment.

I haven't touched the MP yet, so I can't comment on that

MCD

3 acts completed. The most boring, cliche and repetitive AAA game I maybe have ever played. I love the Gears franchise, but what coalition has done is basically satire of everything wrong with safe AAA games. I'm going to have to force myself to finish this shit

What a disappointment.

They tried with Judgement and it didn't work, you know.

With a new team, they had to play it safe.

They tried with Judgement and it didn't work, you know.

With a new team, they had to play it safe.

Just wave after fucking wave of enemies in linear boring environments. But most egregious are the HORRIBLE characters. Could Coalition come up with a more generic group of safe characters? The terrible comedy banter after "serious" events just kills the mood that this game is trying to have.

This is way you don't have computer programmers write story and scripts, when will the video game industry learn?

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
Just wave after fucking wave of enemies in linear boring environments. But most egregious are the HORRIBLE characters. Could Coalition come up with a more generic group of safe characters? The terrible comedy banter after "serious" events just kills the mood that this game is trying to have.

This is way you don't have computer programmers write story and scripts, when will the video game industry learn?
Eh, it's not like GoW 1-2-3-J had better writing, characters, or levels, now is it?

Eh, it's not like GoW 1-2-3-J had better writing, characters, or levels, now is it?

Marcus, Cole Train, that group was fun. The levels were far better, especially after replaying Gears 1 remastered. The story was actually interesting in a fun summer action movie sense. The level design and environments were also far more interesting, especially the art direction

What a disappointment.

Thought I was the only one. No plans to finish and the mp was never my cup of tea cause I suck at it 😂 Gears was part of the slim bundle. Didn't get BF1 cause I have EA access

Tarnpanzer

Finally got a gingerbread item a boomshot

Still missing the snowman Lancer. I opened more than 100(!) packs but no freaking snowman Lancer.

RNG-chests are the Devil himself. I played so much the last week and the more I played and the more packs I opened the more frustrated I got.

Screw this game. I am done.

Still missing the snowman Lancer. I opened more than 100(!) packs but no freaking snowman Lancer.

Snowman Lancers are only blue cards though, IIRC. You have worse luck than me. I regret buying any of the Gearmas packs. Other than the novelty of the Gingerbread weapons, there is nothing cool in them. I should have kept that game cash for Versus or UIR ones.

Top Bottom